Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just found out the soundtrack to the PS1 classic Sentinel Returns was composed by John Carpenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx2WgY98MVE

Sentinel Returns kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

bows1 posted:

Not sure if any of you have worked on music videos before, but this is perfect in every way, and also explains how terrible it is to work on these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

This is pretty rad.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sentinel Returns kicks rear end.

Absolutely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

morestuff posted:

Spielberg's TinTin movie is already the best new Indiana Jones we're ever going to get

That'd be a shame if true. Because I found it as hollow, convoluted and characterless as Crystal Skull. And Mutt Williams 100x less obnoxious than Captain Haddock.

Sad thing is, I'm holding out hope for the new Duck Tales to be a rad Jones-esque adventure series. Probably with 4 Short Rounds. After all, it inspired Raiders. If not, well, I've still got Tales of the Gold Monkey to watch I guess.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Oh, that explains a lot.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There should be a Indy 5, where he's gotta keep Jesus Christ's alien crystal heart out of the grasp of like ... Pol Pot's thuggee cult ritual

IT BELONGS ... IN A RIPLEY'S BELIVE IT OR NOT

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Peccadillo posted:

There should be a Indy 5, where he's gotta keep Jesus Christ's alien crystal heart out of the grasp of like ... Pol Pot's thuggee cult ritual

IT BELONGS ... IN A RIPLEY'S BELIVE IT OR NOT

No longer working at a university after his shameful behaviour at archaeological sites cost him his tenure, he now is a regular talking head on various A&E shows.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's one of the most unique concepts for a game I can think of. Soundtrack rules too - at the time, that was somewhat in vogue. In 98, Yes did the soundtrack for Homeworld, in 97 I want to say, Mark Mothersbaugh did the soundtrack for Interstate 82.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcqj0cz4kJM

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

It's one of the most unique concepts for a game I can think of. Soundtrack rules too - at the time, that was somewhat in vogue. In 98, Yes did the soundtrack for Homeworld, in 97 I want to say, Mark Mothersbaugh did the soundtrack for Interstate 82.

Biggest one for me is Bowie's soundtrack for Omikron in 2000.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NIN (or maybe "just" Trent Reznor) did the soundtrack for the original Quake back in 97ish, I knew a goth girl who had no interest in playing videogames but carried a copy of it in her cd case because it would play the soundtrack if you put it in a normal cd player.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

Biggest one for me is Bowie's soundtrack for Omikron in 2000.

I completely forgot about that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No wonder Daivd Cage thinks he's such hot poo poo. He got Bowie involved in his game so how much is it possible he's not a genius?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
is 32 oz of coffee a day too much coffee?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They Shoot Zombies films on YouTube, entries 901-1000.

The Stone Tape (905)
La corta notte delle bambole di vetro (908): In English.
The Night Flier (909)
The Village (911)
Would You Rather (915): Hardcoded Hindi subs and a watermark in the top left corner.
Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly (916)
House of Dracula (918): Hardcoded Chinese subs.
Murder Party (923): Requires age verification.
Trauma (925): Requires age verification. In English.
Home Movie (926)
The Pit (927)
I Spit on Your Grave (931): The 2010 remake. Requires age verification.
The Deadly Spawn (938)
The Toolbox Murders (940): Requires age verification.
The Fall of the House of Usher (943)
La Terza madre (944): In English.
Bloody Birthday (945)
The Tunnel (947)
Mute Witness (948)
De dødes tjern (952)
Dead Set (953)
Valkoinen peura (957): Watermark in the top right corner.
Murders in the Rue Morgue (958)
Fiend Without a Face (959): Slight audio delay.
Marebito (960)
Slugs, muerte viscosa (962): Watermark in the top right corner.
Jeepers Creepers II (973)
La tarantola dal ventro nero (975): In English.
The Comedy of Terrors (983)
Vamp (984)
Class of Nuke ‘Em High (987): Requires age verification.
Kansen (988)
Shocker (990)
Alien Raiders (993): Hardcoded Albanian subs.
Dead Heat (994)
Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga (995): In English.
Ms. 45 (996)
Shura (997)

All in all, that's 343/1000 films you can watch on YouTube. Far more than I expected when I started compiling these lists.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I've known Bill Corbett is a Grey Wolf for months, but I still can't believe he's on this week's Chapo Trap House to rip apart Hillary's America.

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ktIMJ-Grk

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I usually drink 24 a day, debating another 12 atm tho

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

NIN (or maybe "just" Trent Reznor) did the soundtrack for the original Quake back in 97ish, I knew a goth girl who had no interest in playing videogames but carried a copy of it in her cd case because it would play the soundtrack if you put it in a normal cd player.

I remember at this party in middle school this girl I was crushin on hard brought up the videogame Sacrifice, cause she was obsessed with Gwen Stefani who was somehow involved in it. I was so ready to be like, "dam mami lemme describe the mechanics of this sci fi rts/rpg hybrid to you at length gurl." thinking this would impress her but then she and her dirtbag friends started crushing up altoids and snorting them, which was my cue to leave. I remember hearing a lot of screams of pain as I walked away. I don't remember if I ever spoke to her again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I usually drink 24 a day, debating another 12 atm tho

Yeah, I have a 16 oz mug I've been doubling up on, but I just realized that's a quart.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I completely forgot about that.

That happened during my early Bowie period, so it was awesome when actually anything not Bowie in that game was not awesome.

I just really liked that games like Omnikron would feel (to a teenager at least) like experimental art pieces. See also Dreams To Reality.

e: oh poo poo, Sacrifice too. And Messiah.

Games now have just congealed into this bland sameness, afraid to even change a controller layout.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That happened during my early Bowie period, so it was awesome when actually anything not Bowie in that game was not awesome.

I just really liked that games like Omnikron would feel (to a teenager at least) like experimental art pieces. See also Dreams To Reality.

Or, to be honest, the Myst series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I have a 16 oz mug I've been doubling up on, but I just realized that's a quart.

Do you drink light or dark roasts? sugar, creamer, etc?

I prefer lighter roasts, and take mine with some sugar. I probably need to cut back because supposedly caffeine is bad for you when you're trying to lose weight (messes with metabolism is what I read), but it's basically the only thing that keeps me going when I'm in my office all day.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: oh poo poo, Sacrifice too. And Messiah.

Games now have just congealed into this bland sameness, afraid to even change a controller layout.

Games are doing more weird stuff than ever these days if your willing to look. The main difference is if you wanted to make a weird game before you had to go begging from company to company until someone would back you and get you in stores and now you can just make it. Acting like the 90s and early 2000s was a more creative and better time for games is always really bizarre to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Games are doing more weird stuff than ever these days if your willing to look. The main difference is if you wanted to make a weird game before you had to go begging from company to company until someone would back you and get you in stores and now you can just make it. Acting like the 90s and early 2000s was a more creative and better time for games is always really bizarre to me.

I've really enjoyed the rise of offbeat indie games.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Budgie Jumping posted:

I remember at this party in middle school this girl I was crushin on hard brought up the videogame Sacrifice, cause she was obsessed with Gwen Stefani who was somehow involved in it. I was so ready to be like, "dam mami lemme describe the mechanics of this sci fi rts/rpg hybrid to you at length gurl." thinking this would impress her but then she and her dirtbag friends started crushing up altoids and snorting them, which was my cue to leave. I remember hearing a lot of screams of pain as I walked away. I don't remember if I ever spoke to her again.

I had an art teacher once dare a student to snort the powder at the bottom of his tin of altoids. Unsurprisingly he was fired for not having a degree.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The 90s-early 2000s was like the New Hollywood for videogames.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

It's definitely less weird overall than back when the "Games industry" was dudes making Jet Set Willy in their basements or whatever

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MacheteZombie posted:

I've really enjoyed the rise of offbeat indie games.

I just picked up a PC for the first time in 20 years because I was tired of missing out on weirdo indie PC stuff. Unfortunately I'm finding a lot of these games sort of suck

Hyper Light Drifter is pretty good, though

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I just picked up a PC for the first time in 20 years because I was tired of missing out on weirdo indie PC stuff. Unfortunately I'm finding a lot of these games sort of suck

To be fair, a ton of the weird stuff also sucked back then, which is why it remains unique. Ain't no one trying to make Illbleed again

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

To be fair, a ton of the weird stuff also sucked back then, which is why it remains unique. Ain't no one trying to make Illbleed again

Every SUDA 51 game is basically Illbleed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Suda games are way more playable than Illbleed and never get anywhere near as strange as that game got, no matter how hard they try.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

What kind of games do you like?

Recently I've played Beholder, Papers Please, Please Don't Touch Anything, and Stardew Valley. They were all pretty fun.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's definitely some good weird stuff still around, it's just sort of confined to the margins. freeindiegam.es was a great spot to find those when it was still being updated. It's definitely worth checking out their old end of year lists

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Y'all computer nerds should check out Brigador.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

No longer working at a university after his shameful behaviour at archaeological sites cost him his tenure, he now is a regular talking head on various A&E shows.

I want a movie about his years in the early 1990s where he's a lecherous old man in a rest home with one eye who bores his grandkids with stories about his weirdly educational childhood with historical figures instead of his rad nazi-killing years. Why would a 12-year-old care about the time you met Pancho Villa? At least tell him how you got your chin scar, and whip, and hat all in the same afternoon.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MacheteZombie posted:

What kind of games do you like?

Recently I've played Beholder, Papers Please, Please Don't Touch Anything, and Stardew Valley. They were all pretty fun.

I picked up a few of those during the last Steam sale but haven't gotten around to them yet. Ideally looking for something that can be played in discrete chunks, like X-Com-style turn-based strategies or short-run platformers.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I should've been more clear. Strange was more in the mainstream of video gaming (which was less in the mainstream at the time overall).

Bless his heart.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shanty posted:

It's definitely less weird overall than back when the "Games industry" was dudes making Jet Set Willy in their basements or whatever

A quick glance at itch.io puts the lie to this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I should've been more clear. Strange was more in the mainstream of video gaming (which was less in the mainstream at the time overall).

I feel like that's a lot less true if you were a console gamer instead of a pc gamer, which most people were back then because the PC games looked like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But, once again, that was more because there was almost no other place for those games to get released outside of the mainstream because that's basically all there was. Like the same type if stuff is being done but there's no longer any need to try and convince a company that only cares about the bottom line to fund your weirdo project. It's not so much that weird games left the mainstream as much as it is that games divided into new ways of getting made.

Also, in the end, who cares if something is in what's defined as the mainstream?

• Locked thread