Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has Wizards admitted it was an oversight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

At this point they have said they are watching it. They have neither confirmed or denied knowing if the combo existed before it hit reddit. I feel that if they knew it was going to be a thing and left it in that way, they would have admitted as much by now. Doing so would get them a lot of grief if it turns into combo winter. On the other hand admitting to missing it would be embarrassing and would get worse if it ends up combo winter.

Its basically lose/get rekt at this point unless the deck turns out to be a total flop.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

At this point they have said they are watching it. They have neither confirmed or denied knowing if the combo existed before it hit reddit. I feel that if they knew it was going to be a thing and left it in that way, they would have admitted as much by now. Doing so would get them a lot of grief if it turns into combo winter. On the other hand admitting to missing it would be embarrassing and would get worse if it ends up combo winter.

Its basically lose/get rekt at this point unless the deck turns out to be a total flop.

I suspect they say how they hosed up in the banning in five weeks. But no sense admitting it was a fuckup before you fix it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

That's not really the kind of thing they're going to put into standard these days, especially with the minimal amount of interaction (WHATEVER INTERACTION IS RIGHT GUYS??!!) available. So I think it's safe to say that they missed it but they obviously can't admit that they missed it so here we are.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

How do you forget out a set that had two decks that infested the format for the remaining duration of RTRs Standard season?

How do you forget the set that brought about a 5 mana 2/4 which swung games effortlessly.

Is this a :thejoke:? Because you make it sounds forgettable as gently caress.

"Hey guys, remember that set that people played cards from when they were in standard? Remember that set with the really good number/number for number?"

gently caress, man, I don't know. Fifth edition??

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Eikre posted:

Is this a :thejoke:? Because you make it sounds forgettable as gently caress.

"Hey guys, remember that set that people played cards from when they were in standard? Remember that set with the really good number/number for number?"

gently caress, man, I don't know. Fifth edition??

Okay lemme try again.

How could you forget Gary, From Accounting?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Expect this to show up and be really really annoying in Modern.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Expect this to show up and be really really annoying in Modern.

I'm excited to play dumb things too.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Okay lemme try again.

"Oh, Gary? Yeah I remember him. What was that card's real name? Gray merchant from... Somewhere? Could have been literally anywhere. Was he from Inninstrad? The cadence of the guy's name has kind of a Romance-movement feeling to it. Like he was the guy who sold the Monkey's Paw to that sailor. Yeah I bet it was Inninstrad."

Eikre fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 17, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Eikre posted:

"Oh, Gary? Yeah I remember him. What was that card's real name? Gray merchant from... Somewhere? Could have been literally anywhere. Was he from Inninstrad? The cadence of the guy's name has kind of a Romance-movement feeling to it. Like he was the guy who sold the Monkey's Paw to that sailor. Yeah I bet it was Inninstrad."

Oh, please.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Okay lemme try again.

Haha, I was actually scratching my head trying to figure what you were referring to.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

It was Bob from accounting hth

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Symbols

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/coming-soon

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

... Did they forget to include the Hour of Devastation symbol in their symbol article or is my phone just being stupid?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Elyv posted:

... Did they forget to include the Hour of Devastation symbol in their symbol article or is my phone just being stupid?

They didn't forget, it's probably story relevant like Eldritch Moon being Emrakul.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Elyv posted:

It's probably story relevant.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Not diggin that mm3 symbol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So GP San Antonio is interesting. Its 70$ which is 10 more than the Dallas GP and doesn't come with an mats. Its not in a big hub city, which makes flights and travel harder. Its also been under fire from the judges for offering lower than usual compensation. At least the TO is making money right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the only way I could see the hour of devastation symbol being plot relevant is if it incorporates the Phyrexian symbol

bolas uses the planar bridge in an attempt to use the Phyrexians as a weapon, Gatewatch interferes, it all goes tits up and Bolas's personal playground of amonkhet gets hosed sideways by Phyrexia

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I feel like Austin would be a better venue for a GP than san antonio.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

its me glenda posted:

Not diggin that mm3 symbol.

Do the MM symbols represent anything?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It still amazes me that they bother coming up with set symbols for all the supplemental products like duel decks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Entropic posted:

It still amazes me that they bother coming up with set symbols for all the supplemental products like duel decks.

What would you put on the cards? Just MM17?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

It's cool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Soul Glo posted:

What would you put on the cards? Just MM17?

For the stuff like commander and modern masters, that comes out every year or every other years? Yeah, I think like a "C17" or "MM17" in the style of the M10 core sets would have made a lot of sense. Too late now though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the only way I could see the hour of devastation symbol being plot relevant is if it incorporates the Phyrexian symbol

bolas uses the planar bridge in an attempt to use the Phyrexians as a weapon, Gatewatch interferes, it all goes tits up and Bolas's personal playground of amonkhet gets hosed sideways by Phyrexia

Nicol Bolas horns because the jacetice league loses? Because they're devastated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Nicol Bolas horns because the jacetice league loses? Because they're devastated.

But we already know Bolas is in the next block.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Gonna be jace's face with a circle around it and a line through it

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Mind vs. Might

What's that Jace vs.........Garruk?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I want a Nicol Bolas that hears the voice of Yawgmoth providing suggestions and directions towards unleashing Phyrexia on other planes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whatever happened to Garruk? Has he just been running through the woods on Innistrad baying at the moon since M15 because Wizards decided "elfy nature lady" tests better than "axe-wielding beastmaster"?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Well, Tezz just came back after being gone since som block so it's probably closing in on the time for Garruk to come back

Maybe that's what happens in hour of devastation, Garruk comes back to hunt the biggest game, a senior citizen who's also a dragon

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

Whatever happened to Garruk? Has he just been running through the woods on Innistrad baying at the moon since M15 because Wizards decided "elfy nature lady" tests better than "axe-wielding beastmaster"?

Apparently he's been wandering around hunting and killing planeswalkers I think one of the games had a bit about it?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Entropic posted:

He was going around killing planeswalkers, which was the plot of M15. In that year's duels game they went over the story, which involved chasing Jace and [player character] chasing Garruk all over the planes before luring him to Zendikar, pulling the hedron out of Ob Nixilis, (which led to him being able to respark in BFZ) and shoving it into Garruk. Since then, Garruk has been wandering the planes like Kung Fu. Jace tried to bring him to Ravnica for research but Garruk wanted nothing to do with that and basically told him "I'm not consumed with eternal bloodlust anymore, but I really like killing things, and you'll have to be cool with that, and if you're not I'll kill you."

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Printings.aspx?multiverseid=382866

Gatherer is so old it has forgotten that Vintage exists. RIP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

the Orb of Zot posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Printings.aspx?multiverseid=382866

Gatherer is so old it has forgotten that Vintage exists. RIP.

WoTC has too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What is Archenemy?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

mcmagic posted:

What is Archenemy?

3v1 where the 1 player gets 40 life and a special deck of cards that have wacky effects every turn.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
If it weren't for my promo Secret Salvage, I don't know if I would've made it out alive of my prereleases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Retromancer posted:

He was going around killing planeswalkers, which was the plot of M15. In that year's duels game they went over the story, which involved chasing Jace and [player character] chasing Garruk all over the planes before luring him to Zendikar, pulling the hedron out of Ob Nixilis, (which led to him being able to respark in BFZ) and shoving it into Garruk. Since then, Garruk has been wandering the planes like Kung Fu. Jace tried to bring him to Ravnica for research but Garruk wanted nothing to do with that and basically told him "I'm not consumed with eternal bloodlust anymore, but I really like killing things, and you'll have to be cool with that, and if you're not I'll kill you."

Garruk sounds p cool, tbh

So when Bolas beats the Gatewatch, someone's gonna die, right? Otherwise what's it mean to lose a planeswalker fight? So who dies? If Garruk comes back as the green walker, Nissa could croak I guess?

• Locked thread