Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bit the bullet and gave Rogers another $12 a month for unlimited internet because $3/gb is loving extortionate and micromanaging a cap is almost as stupid crap as the existence of a cap in the first place :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

How's Lightspeed for dry loop DSL? I'm maxed out at 50/10 on Telus in Saanich and they're claiming to be able to do 100/20, but I've never gone outside the big three ISPs. I have no idea what to expect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zigmidge posted:

Someone please tell me there's a process or secret code word I can throw at TSI customer service to get them to expedite moving my service to my new apartment. We booked this last month and the earliest they could do was the 10th. Now, because they hire such loving dummies to stick behind service desks, their misreading of Roger's address formats (they couldn't figure out that #2, Unit 2 and Floor 2 meant the top floor of this house) means they had to reschedule it to the 12th.

If you ever get an answer to this, please let me know. I got the run around last time I moved and we were almost at the point of cancelling our service and signing up as new customers because that would have brought the techie over sooner.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

How much advance notice did you give?

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011
They way it was explained to me was that if the address you give teksavvy doesn't match what Rogers has on file perfectly, Rogers will bounce the ticket as unfulfillable and just not tell them. Had to go through it with my service switch, gave Tek 2nd floor and Rogers had it as upper or something stupid like that.

I switched with tons of notice though because I had read horror stories.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Best joke Rogers ever played was writing people's addresses in stone, as if they're the final authority on the matter.
I don't have to put up with that poo poo for my bank.

Rogers delenda est

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
For the second time in 3 months I got an email from Start saying they are reducing my internet price by another $10 and upping the speed another 10Mbps. I'm sure its a result of that CRTC stuff awhile ago but still pretty awesome.

Now if I could only get an upload speed higher than 10Mbps at some point before I die of old age.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

For the second time in 3 months I got an email from Start saying they are reducing my internet price by another $10 and upping the speed another 10Mbps. I'm sure its a result of that CRTC stuff awhile ago but still pretty awesome.

Now if I could only get an upload speed higher than 10Mbps at some point before I die of old age.

Hah, I was wondering if Start would do the same, since i didn't get anything from them. Then again, they don't even sell my package anymore (150M down). Maybe I should just go to their 100M package since is quite cheaper than what I have ($87 vs $70).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My bill over the past 3 months went from $76.45 to $56.50 and the downstream speeds doubled. Start in general is such a great company. The savings will all get thrown at my hugely increased power and gas bills but oh well, loving Ontario.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I've never even heard of Start until today, but I haven't paid attention to ISPs since I got TekSavvy years ago. Should I switch to them? Currently paying $66.95 + tax for a grandfathered 28/1 unlimited plan from Teksavvy. This was great when I was actually getting 60 megabit down years ago for some reason, but they brought it back down to the advertised speed for quite some time now. It's looking like TekSavvy can't really offer anything much better for the same price.

Start's prices seem too good to be true, what's the catch? (jaded Rogers customer)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
In my experience they have way better customer service and support than Teksavvy, but also seem to have issues with congestion/slowdowns in some areas.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I don't know what the point of cancelling and switching to another third party reseller would be when they're going to have the exact same bullshit of going through Rogers which is the problem in the first place.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Because Start seems to navigate that bullshit more reliably than Teksavvy. Although if you already have working service at a price point you're happy with, then no, there wouldn't seem to be much point.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 6, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm on my fifth Rogers modem and my third cable box, ain't no way I'm buying my own equipment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My favourite was spending $100+ dollars a year on cable modems that had to be replaced every time I wanted to upgrade my internet package because they were no longer supported for the new tier of service.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Welcome to first-gen Shaw Internet! Here is your new cable modem. Please don't touch it when it's plugged in. The entire shell is a giant heatsink and it will probably burn you if you do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Welcome to first-gen Shaw Internet! Here is your new cable modem. Please don't touch it when it's plugged in. The entire shell is a giant heatsink and it will probably burn you if you do.

Browse your neighbour's PCs, because everyone is on a local network segment!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Apparently some TekSavvy users on the 100/10 unlimited plan are getting their bills reduced to $69.95, which matches the Start plan. I'll see if TekSavvy can get me in on that. I'll probably need to replace this DCM475 though.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
According to the Teksavvy DSL Reports forum

quote:

As for the pricing, the new pricing is not live until the 16th. You will be able to look at the packages available and what price they are set at, but currently the pricing listed is the old rates (Yet to be updated).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My start.ca 60/10 plan price dropped to $60 / month and usage went from 400GB to unlimited. Bless you start this is the best late Christmas present ever.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My start.ca plan went from 30/10 to 40/10 and from a 300gb cap to unlimited. No cost change, just 50/month. Start is by and far the best in my area.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh poo poo, now I looked at my modem: DCM475. On their page they say that for the 100M plan I would need Cisco DPC3848, Cisco DPC3848V or Hitron CDA3 (4.5.0.14). DMC475 is only for the 60M plan (and I am on 150M). If I would be to switch plans, go to the cheaper one they would surely make me buy a new modem. That would be another $110. Now that's a headache.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If it makes it any better the Hitron CDA3 is a really good modem

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

8ender posted:

If it makes it any better the Hitron CDA3 is a really good modem

That's good to hear. Plus my DCM475 is quite a few years old (more than 4 it think) and every now and then (once every 2-3 months) it likes to poo poo the bed for no apparent reason. Restarting it works. Plus with the cheaper internet, the new modem would pay for itself in 5-6 months. I'm just trying to convince myself that a better modem and a slower but unlimited internet is worth it for a smaller price.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Volguus posted:

That's good to hear. Plus my DCM475 is quite a few years old (more than 4 it think) and every now and then (once every 2-3 months) it likes to poo poo the bed for no apparent reason. Restarting it works. Plus with the cheaper internet, the new modem would pay for itself in 5-6 months. I'm just trying to convince myself that a better modem and a slower but unlimited internet is worth it for a smaller price.

The DCM475 does support higher speeds > 100M. The problem is the way it supports it may introduce congestion on Rogers' network. In response to this, Rogers absolutely refuses to activate DCM475 modems on 100 Mbit plans. Nothing much the resellers can do but offer the modems that Rogers approves.

I'm probably gonna do the same and upgrade to 100/10 once TekSavvy publishes their rates. My 28/1 line has been reduced to $56 a month now.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You can try posting a message on the Teksavvy Direct forms on dslreports and asking if they are selling any refurbished hitron modems too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Posted this by mistake in the cellular thread: Any of you guys with cable get problems when the weather goes below zero? My drop comes from across the street so I have no clue if they will bury the line in the spring or what.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Failures can happen particularly when it gets really cold in the prairies. If it's just a little cold it could be water getting into damaged lines and freezing among other things. When it hits -40C territory it can mess with the connectors themselves and there can be stress on the lines due to the effects of metal contraction. During the coldest days of the year in SK/MB there's a measurable uptick in people having intermittent issues with their services that go away when it gets less Mars-like outside.

If "below zero" isn't quite so extreme and you're having issues I'd take it up with the provider, otherwise I'd wait it out and see if it makes a difference.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I noticed a few weeks ago there was wire hanging from where my line connects to the street and the amp was on the sidewalk in pieces. They replaced the line but it still has issues specially when it hits closer to the minus double digits. I told them and there might be moisture deeper into the main line or something. Next week it's supposed to be nice so hopefully it will get better. Two techs said they might just credit me until the spring when they can bury the line.

The issues are mainly with upstream.

edit: yeah it seems to be when there is a lot of moisture in the air and we get frost over everything poo poo breaks. hopefully in the spring the line to my house gets buried

Housh fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
The foam dielectric in the lines expand and contract with the seasons and temp. If your modem is Txing 49+ in the summer you may have issues when it is colder. That does sound like a damaged tap or moisture in the trunk line, those are things a CSR cannot book for and they have to send a service tech to put the maintenance referral in and depending how they refer it, it could take a while because maint techs are lazy fucks.

Getting an aerial buried across a street instead of up in the air mostly depends on getting permits from the city and the area, it happens more often if you are on the same side of the street as the tap. If there is a risk of a truck hitting it they are more likely to bury it though.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just a reminder for people with TekSavvy to check what upgrades they're eligible for now with their new pricing.

My old-rear end grandfathered plan of 28/1 Unlimited was lowered to $56.95. Their new pricing for 30/5 Unlimited is $52.95, lol. I'll be upgrading to the 100/10 Unlimited for $63.95. I'll have to get a Hitron CDA3 for like $120 but it'll be worth it I guess.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Does that happen today? I was waiting for the posted changes to publish before doing the same.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, it's today. Just log in to your account and there's an upgrade plans option somewhere and it'll show you the relevant prices according to your location.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Mine changed as well. My Cable 60 plan went from 400GB to Unlimited and dropped from $68 to $62. :buddy:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

There's a 250/20 plan. I may be able to host the most basic of servers, finally.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Azerban posted:

There's a 250/20 plan. I may be able to host the most basic of servers, finally.

I just want 25/25 or something. Maybe 50/25. I want decent upstream without needing to pay for 10x the downstream, is the point. :(

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
I cancelled my grandfathered 25/2 (400GB limit) cable from teksavvy and signed up for 30/5 unlimited on start.ca.

Apparently carrytel has 100/10 unlimited for $40/month but no word on reliability. Anyone know anything about carrytel?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shockingly, the incumbents are attempting to compete. Shaw is trying to push 2 year contracts for their 150/15 at $50/mo for a year then $80/mo for a year.

Telus is offering 50/10 for $25 for 6 months and $75 after, 150/150 fibre for $42/mo for 3 months and $80/mo after with $15 for unlimited data on either.

Imagine what could happen to the mobile market if they were stopped from sabotaging spectrum auctions or charging $0.25 a loving minute for other carriers on their network. :allears:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sixfools posted:

The foam dielectric in the lines expand and contract with the seasons and temp. If your modem is Txing 49+ in the summer you may have issues when it is colder. That does sound like a damaged tap or moisture in the trunk line, those are things a CSR cannot book for and they have to send a service tech to put the maintenance referral in and depending how they refer it, it could take a while because maint techs are lazy fucks.

Getting an aerial buried across a street instead of up in the air mostly depends on getting permits from the city and the area, it happens more often if you are on the same side of the street as the tap. If there is a risk of a truck hitting it they are more likely to bury it though.
Thanks for this you are dead on with what the senior tech told me over the phone today. I wont get a buried line cause of the location of my house but they are waiting until the temp dips to test the tap/line to find the moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Septimus posted:

I cancelled my grandfathered 25/2 (400GB limit) cable from teksavvy and signed up for 30/5 unlimited on start.ca.

Apparently carrytel has 100/10 unlimited for $40/month but no word on reliability. Anyone know anything about carrytel?

There's a huge thread on RFD on CarryTel. From what I read, customer service is a crapshoot, but once you're up and running it's all good since it's Rogers afterall.