Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like that's a lot less true if you were a console gamer instead of a pc gamer, which most people were back then because the PC games looked like rear end.

Honestly, the entire feeling is probably just nostalgia mixed with the genres being less over-saturated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hand Knit posted:

I saw the new Star Wars movie last night. Does anyone know where the good discussion of it is in the infinite star wars thread? I don't want to have to trudge through all of it.

There is no good discussion of Star Wars on the internet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also still making my way through Night Mind and it's still cool, except his review if The VVitch, which seemed to be him saying something wasn't really all thay horrorish because it was outside of his wheelhouse

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why do people think stuff like this is good? Is it a lame nostalgia thing, a general lack of taste, a complete ignorance of film aesthetic, or a mixture of all of those?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Watching democrats mourn Chelsea Manning being pardoned is just pumping hate through my entire body.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Why do people think stuff like this is good? Is it a lame nostalgia thing, a general lack of taste, a complete ignorance of film aesthetic, or a mixture of all of those?

I don't think it's that bad.

I also don't think that things like that are necessarily trying to reproduce the film aesthetic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
She got pardoned? Sweet.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Watching democrats mourn Chelsea Manning being pardoned is just pumping hate through my entire body.

Wait are people mad she is being pardoned? Post election is even more confusing than the election cycle was.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CPL593H posted:

Reminds me of the much better Shin Godzilla poster.

I do like the idea of having some art up with Paul Reiser's name dead centre though.

It's nauseating.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

glam rock hamhock posted:

She got pardoned? Sweet.

Commuted, not pardoned. Not quite as strong a statement.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I dunno, I don't think there's anything won't with liking a sweet picture of a xenomorph looking mean

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just heard about the pardon and desperately trying to restrain myself from reading all the hot takes for this very reason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

She got pardoned? Sweet.
She's not getting out until May but I'm glad its at least happening this year and not never.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a chance in hell of Obama doing something so Snowden can come home but there is not a chance in hell that Obama is going to do a drat thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know I'm a little surprised more Republicans didn't champion Snowden for standing up to "big government" or whatever.

I mean I'm not too surprised but I' figured I would have heard about one or two over the years maybe.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

You know I'm a little surprised more Republicans didn't champion Snowden for standing up to "big government" or whatever.

I mean I'm not too surprised but I' figured I would have heard about one or two over the years maybe.

There are Tea Party people that acted outraged by the stuff he revealed but they some how managed to do it without ever taking his side or not considering a traitor that needs to be hanged!

But you do have to remember the average right wing politician is only against big government that isn't related to killing or jailing brown people and the NSA stuff was all connected to that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Obama should pardon Snowden on Thursday just as a "gently caress you" to Trump.

Of course, using human lives in that capacity isn't exactly great, either.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Raxivace posted:

They're only against government helping people, otherwise most of them are authoritarians who worship the military industrial complex and think cops should be allowed to kill anyone they please because all policemen are infallible and perfect and LAW AND ORDER must be maintained with an iron fist.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Pre-production is loving nerve wracking. Finding an airport is so loving hard.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pro-tip:
If you see a big airplane in the sky jump into your car right away and follow it until it lands. They tends to congregate at airports and it will probably lead you right to one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lmao republicans are trying to bring up benghazi again over this chelsea manning thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

If it was blue and didn't have any writing it'd be cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pro-tip:
If you see a big airplane in the sky jump into your car right away and follow it until it lands. They tends to congregate at airports and it will probably lead you right to one.

The only time I did this it only lead me to the World Trade Center :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Lmao republicans are trying to bring up benghazi again over this chelsea manning thing.

Of course they are, because God forbid people stop and think two seconds to realize that Manning still has her dishonorable discharge on her record (which most states treat as equivalent to a felony conviction), so it's not like she's walking footloose and fancy free, she just gets out of jail early.

(Granted, getting out of jail 28 years early is pretty great for her.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Honestly, the entire feeling is probably just nostalgia mixed with the genres being less over-saturated.

There's a certain combination of "this game pretty much requires a full-sized studio's budget and manpower" and "this game has unintended features and quirks that work to its benefit but would be designed out if they made it today."

For example, there's basically no game dev in existence today both capable of making and willing to make a game like StarCraft: Brood War, and vanishingly few capable/willing of making an arena FPS in the spirit of Tribes or UT.

e: multiplayer games are particularly prone to this since you have to either provide servers or throw your hands up and basically leave the game for enthusiasts to run and hackers to ruin

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 18, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Timby posted:

Of course they are, because God forbid people stop and think two seconds to realize that Manning still has her dishonorable discharge on her record (which most states treat as equivalent to a felony conviction), so it's not like she's walking footloose and fancy free, she just gets out of jail early.

gently caress, I'm just glad she won't be actively tortured anymore.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I dunno, I don't think there's anything won't with liking a sweet picture of a xenomorph looking mean

I just think it's really bland and doesn't at all look like it belongs with the movie, not just because of the design itself but because it doesn't at all represent the period the film is from. Also the original poster while just being a still from the film actually tells us a lot about the movie. This says nothing. And as someone pointed out it just looks like a knockoff of the Shin Godzilla poster. I hate it.

Timby posted:

I can't imagine being a transwoman in a men's prison is a great time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I just think it's really bland and doesn't at all look like it belongs with the movie, not just because of the design itself but because it doesn't at all represent the period the film is from. Also the original poster while just being a still from the film actually tells us a lot about the movie. This says nothing. And as someone pointed out it just looks like a knockoff of the Shin Godzilla poster. I hate it.

I can't imagine being a transwoman in a men's prison is a great time.

Wasn't she being kept in solitary? I know that's it's own special type of hell, but I can't imagine being in solitary in a women's prison would be that much better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't she being kept in solitary? I know that's it's own special type of hell, but I can't imagine being in solitary in a women's prison would be that much better.

She was in solitary for the first nine months following her arrest and indictment, I believe.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

looks like the shin godzilla poster

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Not everyone needs a poster to be a representation of the period, mood, and tone or even story of the movie. Some people just want to put a pic of a xenomorph on their wall.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Reality is becoming an actual Mr Show sketch
http://www.avclub.com/article/maine...SocialMarketing

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Videogames were absolutely more bizarre and daring in the 90s and early 00s.
There was some weird poo poo back then, ugly too. I think those primitive polygons helped sell a lot.

And David Cage is an interesting case, I remember seeing a trailer for Omikron (yes, it had a trailer) and being blown away by the scene of walking into a bar and some cyber-Bowie band playing. I never did get to far into the game, but did manage to spend all my money seeing Bowie at every bar!
And Fahrenheit was becoming one of my favourite games until Mayan gods and manifestations of the internet popped up. It just took a real nose dive, story and gameplay wise.

Crazy to think games like that, and MDK and such had commercials on tv, the only videogames I see ads for now are Candy Crush and that war game Arnold plays.
Mobile gaming, the truest form of video gaming.

And yeah, liberals have always been lovely about Chelsea Manning, that ridiculous GAME THEORY tweet storm that was going around kept calling her a little boy that just wanted attention, and was basically about a breath away from calling for her and Snowden's heads on pikes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've wanted an excuse to post this but they definitely still make inexplicable videogame commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsy_JOVIu8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 18, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've wanted an excuse to post this but they definitely still make inexplicable videogame commercials still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsy_JOVIu8

I'm glad Andy Sidaris is still getting work.

edit: even though he's dead

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Andy Sidaris was into hardbodies, I think he'd be confused at the thicc vogue. This is more of a Rodney Moore type deal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wyoming posted:

Videogames were absolutely more bizarre and daring in the 90s and early 00s.

I'll never, ever understand how this got funded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffo_aADreQs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Weren't games back in the day generally a lot cheaper to make?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well, the switch to 3D and to higher-resolution graphics certainly increased budgets, but even before that you had outliers like Wing Commander IV, which cost like $13 million because Chris Roberts insisted on building actual sets and shooting on 35mm film (which then had to be interlaced in post and made to look like poo poo in order to fit on CDs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, and new games cost about the same without adjusting for inflation. Though the market was smaller.

• Locked thread