Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That "keep a $20 in your passport" one seems like a bad idea in most countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In most countries you'll be completely safe doing that because most countries are safe places with generally nice, welcoming people.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Glad to see American is selling Platinum Pro access for 1700.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

They're selling it to me for $899. I should get it automatically as I had 90 EQS and spent way over the new EQM mark last year. No way am I going to pay for it though.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
From the few AA flights this year I ended up racking up about 20k EQMs.

Their offer they sent in Dec was:

Get AAvantageŽ Gold for $499 or Platinum for $1,479

No thanks..

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My rollover hit and now I'm just annoyed that MQD doesn't also rollover because otherwise I'd hit Gold already on my flight home on Friday.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

My rollover hit and now I'm just annoyed that MQD doesn't also rollover because otherwise I'd hit Gold already on my flight home on Friday.

Mine hit too, but I got screwed out of 25k miles. I should already be Gold and on my way to Platinum, but it's showing me as only halfway to Silver.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Anyone have some good third night free codes from SPG? I tried Z3R and Z3H at the Westin Madrid but neither are working. I was able to use these last year at the Sheraton HK to save a buttload of money (in combination with the fourth night free Citi Prestige)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

Anyone have some good third night free codes from SPG? I tried Z3R and Z3H at the Westin Madrid but neither are working. I was able to use these last year at the Sheraton HK to save a buttload of money (in combination with the fourth night free Citi Prestige)

That was a localized promotion and not available all the time, no? I use rate codes regularly but do be aware that hotels outside the US have staff that are generally much better trained (and paid) so they often check for corporate identification when you use those rates. YMMV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Flying from Paris to LA in a bit in J and debating whether I should do the A380 or the 773 flight. I've never flown on an A380 so that's kind of exciting, but the configuration is 2-2-2 and I prefer window seats. On the 773, it's 1-2-1 herringbone, which is definitely a better seat configuration. Should I suck it up (lol) for the 11.5 hours with a slightly less good seat configuration just for the novelty of being on Whaleplane?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Flying from Paris to LA in a bit in J and debating whether I should do the A380 or the 773 flight. I've never flown on an A380 so that's kind of exciting, but the configuration is 2-2-2 and I prefer window seats. On the 773, it's 1-2-1 herringbone, which is definitely a better seat configuration. Should I suck it up (lol) for the 11.5 hours with a slightly less good seat configuration just for the novelty of being on Whaleplane?

Nah. Take the 773. Fly backwards.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

Why would it be a touchy subject? You're either a piece of poo poo or you're not.

All of the lounge bars I've been to don't accept tips. Admittedly, that's not many.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Leaving a buck or two on the bar means it's swept into the trash?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do the 773. The A380 will be around a while and you'll have other opportunities (in theory). It's not going to disappear like the 744.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Word, that's how I was leaning. I already got on the 774s before they retire and I have no doubt at some point that Delta will pick up a bunch of used A380s and fly them in to the ground so I'm not worried about opportunities there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Word, that's how I was leaning. I already got on the 774s before they retire and I have no doubt at some point that Delta will pick up a bunch of used A380s and fly them in to the ground so I'm not worried about opportunities there.

Not only will they pick up the A380, they'll do something fun like fly it from RDU to KIX. Delta loves them some route dartboard action.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

Not only will they pick up the A380, they'll do something fun like fly it from RDU to KIX. Delta loves them some route dartboard action.

oh you mean BOS-RIC in a CRJ2 once per day is not a normal route decision?????

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Does anyone know if you can get through MSP terminal 1 security with a terminal 2 pass? My coworker's flight isn't for several hours after mine and wants to hang out in the escape lounge while he waits but we're not sure if he can even get there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Any of you guys been to Dublin much? I'm debating between the Intercontinental and the Westin for a vacation stay. I have platinum status with IHG and SPG but it looks like neither has a lounge or offers breakfast to elites so as far as I can tell the main difference is Intercontinental would be a bit nicer of a room but the Westin would be a better location

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Any of you guys been to Dublin much? I'm debating between the Intercontinental and the Westin for a vacation stay. I have platinum status with IHG and SPG but it looks like neither has a lounge or offers breakfast to elites so as far as I can tell the main difference is Intercontinental would be a bit nicer of a room but the Westin would be a better location

The answer to that question depends on how much time you plan to spend enjoying the room compared to going out in the city. I'm always willing to trade a little comfort in the room for the ability to get to what I want more quickly.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
SPG Plat should come with free breakfast and lounge access, according to the policy online.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

Leaving a buck or two on the bar means it's swept into the trash?

The bartender says they donate it to a charity.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

Either is fine. I also like the Raddison Blu on the other side of Temple Bar. Whilst there, go to the Hairy Lemon and have Dublin Coddle. Thank me later. :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you are on vacation why are you eating free breakfast at the hotel?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Saves time and (sometimes) money for sightseeing?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

.....you're spending more time in the hotel this way.

For work, I get it. For vacation? Go be with the people.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Because I'm not on expense so I have to actually pay for it? Plus European hotels tend to have pretty good spreads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

.....you're spending more time in the hotel this way.

For work, I get it. For vacation? Go be with the people.

Free poo poo dude. You'll be seeing enough of the people around town anyway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Because I'm not on expense so I have to actually pay for it? Plus European hotels tend to have pretty good spreads.

European restaurants tend to have pretty remarkably better breakfasts and coffees and other affordable deliciousness.

Is this some sort of weird inverse relationship where when you're in Europe on expense you go out for breakfast as it can be reimbursed so now that you're on your own you'll take the time to enjoy a pretty good hotel spread?

I'm joking, we just have entirely different value propositions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Getting on a Virgin 789 in J at the end of the month. Thank God for Delta JVs with people who spend money on airplanes.

Slightly unrelated, does anyone have recommendations in the Po Valley in Italy? I'll be roughly near Piacenza for a week.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Find a hip local diner or whatever, talk to real people a bit it's literally the easiest way to learn about a new place. Hotels are the places where people are paid to be as fake as possible to you, get the gently caress away from them. Unless it's like a crazy famous hotel restaurant but there's only like 20 of those?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Find a hip local diner or whatever, talk to real people a bit it's literally the easiest way to learn about a new place. Hotels are the places where people are paid to be as fake as possible to you, get the gently caress away from them. Unless it's like a crazy famous hotel restaurant but there's only like 20 of those?

"diner" lmao

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

only like 20 famous hotel restaurants

yeah maybe in Dubai

Do you have time to go to bologna?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

European restaurants tend to have pretty remarkably better breakfasts and coffees and other affordable deliciousness.

Is this some sort of weird inverse relationship where when you're in Europe on expense you go out for breakfast as it can be reimbursed so now that you're on your own you'll take the time to enjoy a pretty good hotel spread?

I'm joking, we just have entirely different value propositions.

Yeah, just different things we care about. My preference, whether I'm working or on vacation, is to eat a quick breakfast before going back up to my room and getting ready for the day. When I'm traveling for work I almost never hit up the hotel breakfast (in large part because my travel is all domestic US at Marriot/Hilton type places and their breakfasts tend to be pretty greasy and limited) but when I'm on vacation I'd rather try to stay somewhere where breakfast is included for simplicity and to cut down on cost. Generally my preference is free breakfast, cheap lunch somewhere while we're out, and then splurge on dinner somewhere that is well rated in Yelp or whatever the local equivalent happens to be. If I want to get to know the locals or something I'll go to a bar.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 17, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes I am aware breakfast food around the world isn't universally served in something called a diner, so you can insert your local favorite term with "whatever". Reading is hard!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

only like 20 famous hotel restaurants

yeah maybe in Dubai

Do you have time to go to bologna?

I might. I was considering popping over to Pavia to check out the Mirabello, and have also heard that Parma is a nice example of Italian renaissance architecture.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes I am aware breakfast food around the world isn't universally served in something called a diner, so you can insert your local favorite term with "whatever". Reading is hard!

Your advice wasn't very useful, anyway. Pretty much everyone in this thread knows how to ask questions of people and that it is a Good Practice for finding things on the road. I'm specifically asking people in this thread if they have any particular recommendations, which you don't.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
My friend's wedding is in rural Maine. The closest airport is serviced by Cape Air, on Cessnas. This is crazy, right? I get seasick, and the one time I piloted a light aircraft, I got queasy. Then again, this is being sold on Google Flights, so maybe it's not that bad..?

Alternatively, what's the best rental car company in PWM that I can drop off in BOS? Looks like National doesn't have an Emerald Aisle in Portland.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Cape Air is fine, I've flown on them probably 10 times in the past few years.

That being said, yes they are small prop planes and if you hit turbulence it can get a bit shaky. Carry a barf bag?

If you're lucky you can get the copilot seat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I had to hop a few Cessnas to Iowa and I used ginger to help with the nausea.