Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The same thing happened to Jon Lovitz, but he gets a lifetime pass even if he's caught making Zyklon B in his basement for what he did to Andy Dick. The Critic.

FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Here's a handy article about Paul LePage if you had any doubts about how terrible he is.

http://www.pajiba.com/politics/17-reasons-paul-lepage-is-the-worst-governor-in-america.php

He's in MAINE?! I was expecting Alabama or something. Isn't Maine reliably blue??

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

I read about that in another thread. Apparently Canada is so super racist that they went full circle and came back around to the point where people are mostly oblivious of minorities or their issues. The average Canadian seems tolerant in comparison because they have so little personal experience with minorities that they aren't read up on the stereotypes yet.

This often leads to the "can't we all just get along" mentality when confronted with problems minorities have.

Generally speaking, overt racism in Canada is directed mainly at indigenous peoples and recent immigrants (particularly Muslim), but overt racism is relatively rare - most of it is found in Facebook rants.

Canadians are experts at passive-aggressive racism. They don't have a problem with PoC or other minorities if they don't live nearby or have to socialize with them. Exceptions being feeling good about our inclusiveness when non-white kids do Canadian things like play hockey. We love being inclusive and welcoming of minorities when they largely leave white people alone or agree with what we think are "Canadian values".

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

botany posted:

He's in MAINE?! I was expecting Alabama or something. Isn't Maine reliably blue??

It's heavily white, being red or blue is irrelevant to the discussion as to if it's racist or not.

Also a third party leftist has spoiled the last two elections.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Also you're obviously taking a potshot at Sanders but who the hell ruined 2012?

botany posted:

Maine is very polarized. Augusta, Portland and the other coastal towns are very New England-y Democrats while Upstate is more like rural Pennsylvania

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

botany posted:

Not reliably. The 2nd district is Alabama with snow. Beyond that, the whole state is exceptionally white, which brings obvious issues.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

the alt-right says it was basic algebra, so its nothing to be impressed about! :shepface:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

420 Gank Mid posted:

I think he's talking about the Maine gubernatorial elections, actually, which genuinely were spoiled by a third party candidate, unfortunately. (unlike 2016)

Race Realists posted:

the alt-right says it was basic algebra, so its nothing to be impressed about! :shepface:

Oh FFS. A bunch of rocket scientists they are, I'm sure.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 17, 2017

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

Eliot Cutler in 2010 and 2014, apparently.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

botany posted:

Much of Maine is accurately known in New England as the Deep South of the Deep North.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I have had many shipmates from Maine in the merchant marine, and despite the fact that they are by definition extremely well traveled, they seem to have little comprehension of the world south of Maine, or at least south of Boston. Anything other than frozen terminally-jobless white rural poverty seems pretty alien to their worldview.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Majorian posted:

I think he's talking about the Maine gubernatorial elections, actually, which genuinely were spoiled by a third party candidate, unfortunately. (unlike 2016)

I shouldn't post before breakfast

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

New England is just the protosouth. The Ur-South.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

420 Gank Mid posted:

I shouldn't post before breakfast

That's okay, those are election cockups I would forget if I could.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's a less racist word than "classy"? That's kind of a weird way to phrase my question but it boils down to that, I think.

Looking back on eight years of Obama, he has definitely brought gravitas to the office that, honestly, it seems like no president in the last few decades had actively tried to cultivate in the way he did. It's not that the others behaved in ways unbecoming of the office, but both W and "Slick Willy" actively tried to be men of the people, at least in public image. He's classy. But "classy" is one of those words some people use to describe a thing a white person does that a black person doesn't.

So I guess my question is really: What's a word that I, as a young white dude, can use to describe why I like Barack Obama as a political animal despite his actions I disagree with, without dogwhistling?

(I think I'm overthinking this at least a little, but I thought of it the other day and knew this thread existed and figured it was the place most likely to understand what I mean and also have a good answer.)

Athletic.

don't actually say that ever

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Athletic.

don't actually say that ever

Oh man, this reminds me of this one time I got into it in The Flash thread because an old white man told a teenage black kid to "use his natural athleticism" on the show.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Koalas March posted:

Oh man, this reminds me of this one time I got into it in The Flash thread because an old white man told a teenage black kid to "use his natural athleticism" on the show.

Yeah the Flash/Legends writers have had Dr. Stein say some pretty horrible poo poo. I can't tell if they are doing it on purpose to highlight that the old white doctor has unconscious racist and sexist bias, or if it's bad writing. Either way I cringe every time the writers attempt to create tension between him and any minority character.

The Legends civil war episode was so horribly tone deaf.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mykkel posted:

Yeah the Flash/Legends writers have had Dr. Stein say some pretty horrible poo poo. I can't tell if they are doing it on purpose to highlight that the old white doctor has unconscious racist and sexist bias, or if it's bad writing. Either way I cringe every time the writers attempt to create tension between him and any minority character.

The Legends civil war episode was so horribly tone deaf.

They are really bad with race. I think I've written like way too many think-pieces in that thread about the Flarrowgirl writers. And it's not like it's confined to one show. It's across literally all of them. The misogynoir might be even worse believe it or not.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mykkel posted:

Yeah the Flash/Legends writers have had Dr. Stein say some pretty horrible poo poo. I can't tell if they are doing it on purpose to highlight that the old white doctor has unconscious racist and sexist bias, or if it's bad writing.

iirc some of the other Team Flash characters deployed some coded racism about Jackson in that episode, so it almost certainly wasn't just a deliberate character-trait of Stein's.

Wish they'd play with Jackson being a mechanic sometimes rather than always with him being a hotdog athlete.
Maybe they touch on that in later episodes? Didn't finish that season.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Koalas March posted:

Spit take.

Did the old guy also credit selective breeding of slaves while he was at it? :wtc:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Koalas March posted:

I'm real loving glad I dipped out of that show. Poor Jesse L. Martin deserves better, even if he was in Rent.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm real loving glad I dipped out of that show. Poor Jesse L. Martin deserves better, even if he was in Rent.

Flash's dad is the best character on that show.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Vanderdeath posted:

Same. I'm a white dude and when I watched that episode and heard that line, my first thought "Was did I just hear that?" Rewind. "gently caress me, he actually just said that on TV."

Like, why couldn't they just go with "You're the smartest student in this school, a mechanic, and a star athlete. Slow down! Think! You know how to use your mind and body together to accomplish what you want." or something along those lines. But "natural athleticism is just...... ugh."

And KM, I always enjoyed your posts about Iris, even if the majority of other people were stupid about it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think that everybody in this thread could benefit from a little perspective and take a moment to reflect upon themselves and realize just how much privilege everyone here really has.

http://www.worldhunger.org/asia-hunger-facts/ 512 million people (this is over 10x the black population in the US!) go hungry in Asia. Kind of makes the issue of food deserts in urban areas look insignificant, doesn't it? At least poor African Americans have enough food to eat, since obesity is a prevalent problem in the African American community.

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-most-corrupt-police-forces-in-the-world/ Of course I am on board with Black Lives Matter, but lets be real here--when you compare police abuse and corruption in the US to many other countries in the world, it's not that bad really. Just don't provoke the police and most of the time you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying black people in the United States are living life on easy street, but it's like they don't want to think about how much worse off they'd be if they were born in Southeast Asia, or in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can have a difficult life without having the most difficult life, so you should quit complaining and suck it up at least long enough to realize there are people worse off than you.

Black Americans like to say, "well my 'privilege' hasn't got me poo poo!" while ignoring how much how much shittier their lovely lives would be if they lived in many less prosperous countries in the world.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

silence_kit posted:

I think that everybody in this thread could benefit from a little perspective and take a moment to reflect upon themselves and realize just how much privilege everyone here really has.

http://www.worldhunger.org/asia-hunger-facts/ 512 million people (this is over 10x the black population in the US!) go hungry in Asia. Kind of makes the issue of food deserts in urban areas look insignificant, doesn't it? At least poor African Americans have enough food to eat, since obesity is a prevalent problem in the African American community.

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-most-corrupt-police-forces-in-the-world/ Of course I am on board with Black Lives Matter, but lets be real here--when you compare police abuse and corruption in the US to many other countries in the world, it's not that bad really. Just don't provoke the police and most of the time you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying black people in the United States are living life on easy street, but it's like they don't want to think about how much worse off they'd be if they were born in Southeast Asia, or in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can have a difficult life without having the most difficult life, so you should quit complaining and suck it up at least long enough to realize there are people worse off than you.

Black Americans like to say, "well my 'privilege' hasn't got me poo poo!" while ignoring how much how much shittier their lovely lives would be if they lived in many less prosperous countries in the world.

Hey I didn't know Pat Buchanan posted here!

(For context: "America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.")

botany fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 18, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Who exactly says this?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

silence_kit posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying black people in the United States are living life on easy street, but it's like they don't want to think about how much worse off they'd be if they were born in Southeast Asia, or in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Yes you are, and everyone knows it. Go poo poo up another thread, preferably one that starts with a Banme.

quote:

You can have a difficult life without having the most difficult life, so you should quit complaining and suck it up at least long enough to realize there are people worse off than you.

Literally the entire reason that the super-privileged promote classism and racism in those below them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

silence_kit posted:

Times like this I hate Poe's Law because poo poo like what was quoted here is almost so idiotic that it registers as a troll post.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

silence_kit posted:

You can have a difficult life without having the most difficult life, so you should quit complaining and suck it up at least long enough to realize there are people worse off than you.

I think rolling into a thread where people talk about the very real issues that Black and PoC people face in this country everyday, and telling them to just "suck it up" because "there are poorer people around the world" is, other than being incredibly patronizing, incredibly tone-deaf. Like think about what you're actually saying: "sorry that white people have spent the two centuries systematically oppressing you, and for the first 75 years of our nation, literally enslaving you, but since you don't live in hovels in the developing world, you should just be happy to be here."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

420 Gank Mid posted:

Who exactly says this?

The voices in his head, I assume.

Context: he's been pissing and moaning in the rural poverty thread about how we're not focused enough on the white working class since people keep insisting that black people have it even worse, all other things being equal. The distinction he fails to recognize is that no one in this thread has, at any point, claimed we can or should ignore the issues of global poverty to focus exclusively on the plight of people of colour in the United States.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Times like this I hate Poe's Law because poo poo like what was quoted here is almost so idiotic that it registers as a troll post.

I made sk post it here as a mod challenge in response to this post:

silence_kit posted:

It's not just poor white rural men who get annoyed whenever you bring up their privilege. I'm sure that if someone were to go into the negrotown or feminism threads on this board and bring up that the posters there are way more privileged than starving children in Africa and Southeast Asia, that person would get immediately accused of trying to trivialize problems black people and women face in the first world, would get dogpiled on, and probably would get a probation for 'silencing the voices' of posters in the thread.

I am going to respond to him earnestly in a bit because he genuinely doesn't get it and I want to help him learn.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So basically he has no understanding of the concept of 'Relative Poverty'

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like think about what you're actually saying: "sorry that white people have spent the two centuries systematically oppressing you, and for the first 75 years of our nation, literally enslaving you, but since you don't live in hovels in the developing world, you should just be happy to be here."

You're only living under systematic oppression in the United States, not under the result of even worse systematic oppression from many of the same sources in "The Third World" (Which is a lovely term created to basically help justify such things), so be happy about it!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Taerkar posted:

You're only living under systematic oppression in the United States, not under the result of even worse systematic oppression from many of the same sources in "The Third World" (Which is a lovely term created to basically help justify such things), so be happy about it!

There's always someone worse off than you, so if you think about it, we should all race for the bottom and never improve anything.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Don't provoke the police and everything will be just fine.

Having cos that are apparently wild animals you need to avoid spooking is far better then brute squads with a badge you get in other countries.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Taerkar posted:

Not to be overly pedantic, but to clarify the term "third world" originated as a way to describe countries that were not directly aligned to either the US/NATO or Soviet blocs during the Cold War and only fell out of use after the fall of the Soviet Union. It of course, also became a by-word for poor, underdeveloped countries almost exclusively in the global south, so your point isn't far off. He still shouldn't use it.

Taerkar posted:

So basically he has no understanding of the concept of 'Relative Poverty'

That seems accurate.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I feel like most of the people here, and most activists I have spoken with in general, believe those things should be fixed as well. It just turns out to be hard to fix them when you're underprivileged and have very little political power and belong to a minority group. gently caress, I'm white and I can't fix that poo poo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

silence_kit posted:

A lot of countries in Africa are doing pretty okay, there exist black people there who lead middle class lives and aren't terrorized and murdered by a racist police system

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

there wolf posted:

Don't provoke the police and everything will be just fine.

Having cos that are apparently wild animals you need to avoid spooking is far better then brute squads with a badge you get in other countries.

Yeah quit being so dramatic, you fell into the Moose enclosure, not the tiger pit. Sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

I made sk post it here as a mod challenge in response to this post:

I am going to respond to him earnestly in a bit because he genuinely doesn't get it and I want to help him learn.

Good luck, there is an awful lot of "America isn't actually as well off a country as it pretends to be" to get through to him.

I love your new moderator icon, by the way.

• Locked thread