Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Josef bugman posted:

I am not, I simply dislike the idea of, again, people fainting and getting sick from it.

You're not supposed to get sick and faint. If you're doing that the teaching of the Church is to either modify the fast or not observe it at all. If someone tried to join a monastic religious order and it affected their health like that, they'd be advised to leave if not outright not allowed to make perpetual vows. We're not hurting ourselves, that would be a sin. It's each according to their ability and their state in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mo Tzu posted:

if god wanted that we wouldn't have martyrs

one meal a day is all this body needs

If you believe God makes martyrs then I question wishing to serve Him.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

You're not supposed to get sick and faint. If you're doing that the teaching of the Church is to either modify the fast or not observe it at all. If someone tried to join a monastic religious order and it affected their health like that, they'd be advised to leave if not outright not allowed to make perpetual vows. We're not hurting ourselves, that would be a sin. It's each according to their ability and their state in life.

Looking at some of the responses in this thread. Well I am none too sure. In principle however, I agree.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 17, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just sit alone on top of a pillar in the desert and if God wants you to eat He'll send tasty locusts.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josef bugman posted:

If you believe God makes martyrs then I question wishing to serve Him.

it's less god makes martyrs and more following god and following christ's teachings leads to martyrdom. like following christ's teachings about the poor and dispossessed led to oscar romero and ignacio ellacuria's deaths. course the same can be said for takagi kenmyo so it's not like christians have a monopoly on it

still, the point is church teachings say martyrdom is preferable to apostasy, but confession exists because of apostates so make of that what you will

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I intend to indulge in all the good things of this world, just not to the point where I'm hurting myself or depriving someone else.

On the other hand I could see that becoming nearly synonymous with fasting within my lifetime. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

pidan posted:

Traditionally Christians were kind of against sex in general, I never really understood why.

Matthew 19:10-12 posted:

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

You can debate the merit of these verses of course, but Jesus certainly seems to have thought celibacy was something to aspire to.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Samuel Clemens posted:

You can debate the merit of these verses of course, but Jesus certainly seems to have thought celibacy was something to aspire to.

Interesting to note, these are the verses read when Orthodox take monastic vows, something that isn't for everyone

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, becoming a monk is basically saying that the basic difficulty setting of life is for scrubs and activating the hard mode. :v:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

my dad posted:

I mean, becoming a monk is basically saying that the basic difficulty setting of life is for scrubs and activating the hard mode. :v:

I am stealing this because it's a fantastic and hilariously accurate description.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

my dad posted:

It's totally unfair that Buddhists and Hindus get the NG+ but Christians don't :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

System Metternich posted:

It's totally unfair that Buddhists and Hinduists get the NG+ but Christians don't :(

you're all a bunch of casuals, i'll be over here playing life: the roguelike

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's totally unfair that Buddhists and Hindus get the NG+ but Christians don't :(

Christians get the expansion pack with new levels and infinite health.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deteriorata posted:

Christians get the expansion pack with new levels and infinite health.

actually Mahayana Buddhists get that, too. Plus flying and mind reading

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Well if you squint at Origen really hard you can get there since he doesn't preclude the possibility of another fall to the material world after the restoration of all things to its original spiritual state in the eschaton. Origen's cosmology is some Platonic :catdrugs: though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're all a bunch of casuals, i'll be over here playing life: the roguelike

:boom:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Origen is great because he allows Catholics to have this conversation:

A: So I hear a lot about Origen, and they even include readings from his work in the Liturgy of the Hours, so why isn't he a saint?

B: He was technically a heretic. He didn't believe is Christ's full divinity, though we still read him because at the time he was writing that was still a question the Church hadn't definitively answered.

A: What? That's bull! Thomas Aquinas wrote against the Immaculate Conception before it was official teaching but he's still a saint!

B: Origen also cut his balls off to make himself holier.

A: Oh...

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 17, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he also believed that our glorified bodies would be perfectly spherical

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GAIL posted:

This made me legitimately lol.

In other news, while watching spider-man 3, I was struck by the scene where peter parker is in a church bell tower and the bell is helping him expunge the symbiote. Given that bells are traditionally a ward against demons (see Fantasia's Night at Bald Mountain sequence for another cinematic example of this).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

and on a frictionless plane?

Rainbow Pharaoh
Jun 13, 2014

HEY GAIL posted:

So by being a goon I'm off to a good start?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

"What did you have for blackfast?'
:crossarms: "...Nothing."

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

That's true now, but historically self-mutilation was a big thing among monks. And if they're ok with whipping yourself bloody I don't think they'd draw the line at hypoglycemia.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mo Tzu posted:

still, the point is church teachings say martyrdom is preferable to apostasy, but confession exists because of apostates so make of that what you will

Again, if God urges you to kill yourself to become more holy, God is not worth worshipping.

my dad posted:

I sincerely doubt that. Some of the Benedictine Houses that my colleagues worked at were basically a cross between giant libraries and health spas for older people. I mean I don't doubt that there are places where the main job is working outside in a garden and then coming in to think about God. But I imagine a fair number of them are just theological slap fight factories.

Samuel Clemens posted:

To me that seems to be more saying "Don't judge people who are not having sex, if they choose to that's fine and can get them into the Kingdom".

pidan posted:

That's true now, but historically self-mutilation was a big thing among monks. And if they're ok with whipping yourself bloody I don't think they'd draw the line at hypoglycemia.

Weeping, beating yourself and living on top of a pillar. All signs of holiness and not at all of being maybe in need of a bit of help.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
dying for a cause does not equal killing yourself

mlk jr was a martyr, he knew that the work he was doing was dangerous for him and his family, but he worked towards racial equality, an end to poverty, and an end to the war in vietnam, and for those things he was murdered. following the teachings of christ and following christ's example he was murdered. what sort of god would prefer no one to challenge injustices, for no one to follow christ's example of caring for the least of these? it's not suicide but the work of grave importance

i'd say it's not only the christian way, but a way most religions strive for, if not all religions. a basis for dialogue, for iron sharpening iron

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

I wholeheartedly agree. As the asatru say: "One of the primary blessings of a spiritual life is facing eternity with courage"

Hell, I have spent most of my life fighting cops and politicians, I just didn't realize why until recently!

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Josef bugman posted:

theological slap fight factories

thread title

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Josef bugman posted:

I'm glad, but you fell onto train tracks! I, again, would advise seeing a medical professional about this, because that would scare the ever loving gently caress out of me.

Have you seriously never met people who sometimes forget to eat? This doesn't have anything to do with religion, mate. Of course it's loving dangerous, and she's bloody aware of it.

Josef bugman posted:

I sincerely doubt that. Some of the Benedictine Houses that my colleagues worked at were basically a cross between giant libraries and health spas for older people. I mean I don't doubt that there are places where the main job is working outside in a garden and then coming in to think about God.

I generally like your posts, but don't fishmech. You turned a joke about the nature of the monastic calling into a "well, actually, you see, I know a guy who". When an idea is made real, there are differences in how it is applied, no poo poo Sherlock.

Josef bugman posted:

theological slap fight factories.

This, however, deserves to be the thread title.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just remembered this song existed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDS00Pnhkqk
i feel like this helps connect the martyrdom of mlk, ignacio ellacuria, and oscar romero to jesus' crucifixion in a way i didn't really explicate much in my posts

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Happy MLKJr. Day, my liturgigoon family.

Mo Tzu posted:

Whether there is a God or not, this is the reality of a believer. It's why on the night before he was murdered, Martin Luther King Jr. can have the grace to preach he is not afraid of death. He wanted to live, "Longevity has its place," but he did not want to let the real threat of death get in the way of what he thought was doing God's will. His in an American prophet, martyr, and sinner.

The mountaintop speech is worth watching on any day in which awesomeness is required: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oehry1JC9Rk

Josef bugman posted:

Most likely, however it could conceivably be argued that fasting in extremis induces an altered state of consciousness that is often right up there "fermented fruit drink" and "These weird mushrooms I found", hence why people think it is a good way of contacting the divine.

I take your point, and it is understood by religious traditions, too. Having tried the extremes of asceticism, the first Buddha said the Middle Way leads to liberation. Similarly, the story of Jesus does not end with him fasting for the rest of his life.

zonohedron posted:

On the other hand, a spiritual life that never involves fasting is probably lacking, too; Catholics and Orthodox have prescribed fast days (and feast days!) in part to make sure that doesn't happen.

I abstain from meat on Fridays not just for the (little-t) tradition aspect, but because it makes me remember - oh, right, it's Friday, I'm giving something up today. (I also use it as a pretext for talking about saints with my sons - "Hey, we're having meat today, and we don't usually, right? That's because it's the feast day of St. Elmindreda of Ipsidipsy!" If the US bishops mandated that US Catholics abstain from meat on Fridays, only solemnities ("first class feasts", if you're Worthleast) would exempt us, but since they don't, I do what helps me and my kids.) I fast from all food before Mass, because it's helpful to me to have a grumbling tummy when I'm thinking about my need for Christ. (I make sure to put food right down my 5-year-old's gullet right before church, because it's helpful to me not to have him wailing about hunger when I'm thinking about &c.)

I take your point, too. People have realized the imperatives of God are challenging, and spiritual strengthening and conditioning is necessary if you want to win in spiritual warfare.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Caufman posted:

I take your point, too. People have realized the imperatives of God are challenging, and spiritual strengthening and conditioning is necessary if you want to win in spiritual warfare.

It's easy for critics (and even adherents) to focus on the discipline of faith. Let's also remember:

So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun.
- Ecclesiastes 8:15

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Caufman posted:

Happy MLKJr. Day, my liturgigoon family.

Whether there is a God or not, this is the reality of a believer. It's why on the night before he was murdered, Martin Luther King Jr. can have the grace to preach he is not afraid of death. He wanted to live, "Longevity has its place," but he did not want to let the real threat of death get in the way of what he thought was doing God's will. His in an American prophet, martyr, and sinner.

The mountaintop speech is worth watching on any day in which awesomeness is required: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oehry1JC9Rk

Martin Luther King is somebody I want to study more. I read some of his writing in school and I always thought he was really good at writing clearly, and he had a lot of ideas about things.

also hegel please see a doctor if you haven't. it is not normal to get sick just because you haven't eaten meat :gonk:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

also hegel please see a doctor if you haven't. it is not normal to get sick just because you haven't eaten meat :gonk:
I think I'm fine, but the next time I go to a doctor I'll bring it up. Thank you for your concern, and please don't worry.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
could i ask that you all keep me and my colleagues in your prayers? we're still reeling a bit because a teach-in that we put on for MLK Day yesterday (about how classical antiquity has been and continues to be deployed in support of racist and white supremacist agendas) was invaded by actual no-poo poo fascists from Identity Evropa. nobody was hurt and their video camera was confiscated, so probably nobody's going to be doxxed, but we're all still rather terrified, particularly those of us in racial and sexual minorities

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mo Tzu posted:

mlk jr was a martyr, he knew that the work he was doing was dangerous for him and his family, but he worked towards racial equality, an end to poverty, and an end to the war in vietnam, and for those things he was murdered. following the teachings of christ and following christ's example he was murdered. what sort of god would prefer no one to challenge injustices, for no one to follow christ's example of caring for the least of these? it's not suicide but the work of grave importance

i'd say it's not only the christian way, but a way most religions strive for, if not all religions. a basis for dialogue, for iron sharpening iron

The problem with dying is you don't get to defend your actions after the fact. Because it will be reinterpreted. Do you think the people who died fighting for a democratic Spain got memorialised under Franco? That is what is going to happen, those beliefs you died for will fade into irrelevance or be stamped out, or worse co-opted, to suit whoever is in charge.

The one who permits the injustices in the first place, that does not react when horrendous things are done in His name. If He cared for the least of us, then He's poo poo at putting it into action. And words without actions are meaningless.

To commit yourself wholey to a cause, to think that it is worth dying for, instead of worth living for. I do not think that is a good thing, but that's not something I would insist others believe.

my dad posted:

Have you seriously never met people who sometimes forget to eat? This doesn't have anything to do with religion, mate. Of course it's loving dangerous, and she's bloody aware of it.

I do, but again I have never fainted because of it and would prefer that it doesn't happen to other people. I now know that it's a known quantity and should have realised that earlier.

my dad posted:

I generally like your posts, but don't fishmech. You turned a joke about the nature of the monastic calling into a "well, actually, you see, I know a guy who". When an idea is made real, there are differences in how it is applied, no poo poo Sherlock.

Sorry. I am getting far too het up about a lot of stuff at the moment. I apologise. (realised I used metaphysical in the wrong context there)

Caufman posted:

As regards the highlighted part: How does one "win" in spiritual warfare? What is Spiritual warfare in the first place?

Bel_Canto posted:

could i ask that you all keep me and my colleagues in your prayers? we're still reeling a bit because a teach-in that we put on for MLK Day yesterday (about how classical antiquity has been and continues to be deployed in support of racist and white supremacist agendas) was invaded by actual no-poo poo fascists from Identity Evropa. nobody was hurt and their video camera was confiscated, so probably nobody's going to be doxxed, but we're all still rather terrified, particularly those of us in racial and sexual minorities

Hope all of you are okay! Hope they catch the people that did this and, at the very least, have them get a bit of community service.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 17, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Dying, or at the very least being put at risk of dying, is a consequence of working for the poor. As it turns out, a lot of people would rather rabble rousers die than listen to them.

Like are you aware of the risks people like MLK, Malcolm X, Kwame Ture, Huey Newton, and Angela Davis took fighting against racism in America? Like it's all well and good to talk about wanting to live instead of die but that's not the dichotomy I'm talking about; it's safety in silence and risk in speaking out

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

Hope all of you are okay! Hope they catch the people that did this and, at the very least, have them get a bit of community service.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mo Tzu posted:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Dying, or at the very least being put at risk of dying, is a consequence of working for the poor. As it turns out, a lot of people would rather rabble rousers die than listen to them.

Like are you aware of the risks people like MLK, Malcolm X, Kwame Ture, Huey Newton, and Angela Davis took fighting against racism in America? Like it's all well and good to talk about wanting to live instead of die but that's not the dichotomy I'm talking about; it's safety in silence and risk in speaking out

Probably not. I am sorry about that.

But what I am trying to say is that, in death your death can be used to mean anything. The value of martyrdom is always to those left behind afterwards.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 17, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Almost any social progress in history has left a trail of martyrs in its wake. If people weren't willing to die for their beliefs, we wouldn't have the forty-hour week, for example.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Almost any social progress in history has left a trail of martyrs in its wake. If people weren't willing to die for their beliefs, we wouldn't have the forty-hour week, for example.

I hate to :godwin: but, have you ever heard of "The Horst Wessel Lied". If you haven't then basically Horst Wessel was a Nazi's Nazi, he was assassinated by two members of the German Communist party and his death was turned into a symbol and song for the Nazi movement. Martyrdom can be done just as well by juntas and regimes as by brave rebels and people we actually should support.

I'm trying hard to put this into words, and I am not really sure this is right but, essentially what I was arguing was this:

1) If you die protesting something and become a martyr to it you only become a martyr if your "side" (incorrect terminology I know) eventually wins out against it.
2) If you become a martyr to something you instantly stop being human and become a symbol, which becomes useful by both people who back you and by people who wish to discredit you.

Whilst it is better to die than to do horrible things, but dying for a belief? I can't help but think "What if I am wrong and have been misinterpreting everything"?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 18, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josef bugman posted:

I hate to :godwin: but, have you ever heard of "The Horst Wessel Lied". If you haven't then basically Horst Wessel was a Nazi's Nazi, he was assassinated by two members of the German Communist party and his death was turned into a symbol and song for the Nazi movement. Martyrdom can be done just as well by juntas and regimes as by brave rebels and people we actually should support.

I'm trying hard to put this into words, and I am not really sure this is right but, essentially what I was arguing was this:

1) If you die protesting something and become a martyr to it you only become a martyr if your "side" (incorrect terminology I know) eventually wins out against it.
2) If you become a martyr to something you instantly stop being human and become a symbol, which becomes useful by both people who back you and by people who wish to discredit you.

Whilst it is better to die than to do horrible things, but dying for a belief? I can't help but think "What if I am wrong and have been misinterpreting everything"?

okay there are a few things going on here and i'm going to try to dissect them piece by piece

first, you seem to think the value of martyrdom is in leaving an example behind. it's not. the value of martyrdom is living your life according to your principles, seeing them through to the end even when faced with the threat of violence. whether it's refusing to stomp on the fumie, refusing to convert to christianity, refusing to accept white supremacy, refusing to ignore the plight of the poor, etc. the value of martyrdom is individualistic.

second, you seem to believe that martyrdom being held up as an ideal means that every person should be martyred. this is not the case. as i said earlier, confession exists because of apostasy. what i'm referring to is that in the early days of christianity, when christians were being persecuted, there were those who claimed to not be christian and so were spared. in order to reconcile them with the rest of the church, it was necessary to create some kind of ritual that would bring them back into the community. this sacrament took several hundred years to evolve into something resembling confessions today, but the groundwork was laid there. we can't all act as altruistically as we think we should. we aren't all called to answer for our beliefs and ideals regardless of the consequences. for those of us who are and fail, that does not mark us as lesser people but instead as people.

third, you seem to think martyrdom is the equivalent of some sort of suicide. that it's something i decide to do. it's not. whether it's a daimyo presenting fumie to captured kirishitans, a soldier raping and murdering nuns for their work for the poor, or mlk being shot at a hotel, it wasn't something they asked for, it was the result of actions outside of their control. ignacio ellacuria didn't ask to be murdered with his jesuit brothers and their maid and her daughter. the soldiers did that. all ignacio ellacuria did was lead a school, write theology and history, and talk about the poor and the need to care for them. oscar romero may have questioned the military government and the united states' involvement in various wars in el salvador, but he didn't ask them to shoot him.

and not for nothing but have you ever seen a man for all seasons? it's about sir thomas moore and his execution by king henry the viii for refusing to go along with henry viii as head of the church. thomas moore is a saint in both the catholic church AND the anglican church, so sometimes the other side recognizes "oh poo poo we hosed up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mo Tzu posted:

okay there are a few things going on here and i'm going to try to dissect them piece by piece

first, you seem to think the value of martyrdom is in leaving an example behind. it's not. the value of martyrdom is living your life according to your principles, seeing them through to the end even when faced with the threat of violence. whether it's refusing to stomp on the fumie, refusing to convert to christianity, refusing to accept white supremacy, refusing to ignore the plight of the poor, etc. the value of martyrdom is individualistic.

second, you seem to believe that martyrdom being held up as an ideal means that every person should be martyred. this is not the case. as i said earlier, confession exists because of apostasy. what i'm referring to is that in the early days of christianity, when christians were being persecuted, there were those who claimed to not be christian and so were spared. in order to reconcile them with the rest of the church, it was necessary to create some kind of ritual that would bring them back into the community. this sacrament took several hundred years to evolve into something resembling confessions today, but the groundwork was laid there. we can't all act as altruistically as we think we should. we aren't all called to answer for our beliefs and ideals regardless of the consequences. for those of us who are and fail, that does not mark us as lesser people but instead as people.

third, you seem to think martyrdom is the equivalent of some sort of suicide. that it's something i decide to do. it's not. whether it's a daimyo presenting fumie to captured kirishitans, a soldier raping and murdering nuns for their work for the poor, or mlk being shot at a hotel, it wasn't something they asked for, it was the result of actions outside of their control. ignacio ellacuria didn't ask to be murdered with his jesuit brothers and their maid and her daughter. the soldiers did that. all ignacio ellacuria did was lead a school, write theology and history, and talk about the poor and the need to care for them. oscar romero may have questioned the military government and the united states' involvement in various wars in el salvador, but he didn't ask them to shoot him.

and not for nothing but have you ever seen a man for all seasons? it's about sir thomas moore and his execution by king henry the viii for refusing to go along with henry viii as head of the church. thomas moore is a saint in both the catholic church AND the anglican church, so sometimes the other side recognizes "oh poo poo we hosed up"

It is very late at night and I am more than likely not going to respond correctly so I am going to go to bed before answering, but I do have a question, more as a general one for the thread.

How on earth do you believe in... well anything? How can people be so sure.

• Locked thread