Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

You hosed up, hope you get to the next round and else better luck next time.

The stupid thing about interviews is that it selects people who are good at interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Oh well, I sent off an email anyway. I figure it wouldn't hurt my chances. But agree 100% with your statement. At the end of the interview when it was time to ask questions, I was trying to find out more about the role and how some keywords in the job description fit in but my interviewer, who was otherwise fantastic, seemed to misinterpret my questions as not knowing anything about the company or industry and I felt like there were only so many times I could try to clarify the same question without being...rude?. It could have been my own fault since I'm usually good at communicating my intent but anyway.

How does one deal with a situation where you and your interviewer seem to have trouble staying on the same page?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 16, 2017

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Subyng posted:

How does one deal with a situation where you and your interviewer seem to have trouble staying on the same page?

Chalk it up as a bad interview fit. Sometimes perfectly good candidates are going to be interviewing with perfectly good interviewers but just because of differences in people it's a bad fit between the two people. Sucks to not get a job because of it but it happens

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Valasquez posted:

Chalk it up as a bad interview fit. Sometimes perfectly good candidates are going to be interviewing with perfectly good interviewers but just because of differences in people it's a bad fit between the two people. Sucks to not get a job because of it but it happens

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that in the course of any engineer's life, they will run until a fair number of people they respect technically, but can't communicate with well. Hopefully not your boss though, because that royally sucks.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I got in touch with a startup and I'm really excited about the type of work they do (functional programing, compilers, great tech stack). but they keep dropping the ball on stuff - rescheduled the first interview, but when I actually had the call, the guy seemed very enthused I was applying based on my particular interests in CS. then I was supposed to get a project to do over a few days and never got it. I sent an email today saying I'm excited about the company and asked what the status on the project was and if we could expedite it, and they replied and said an email was supposed to be sent out 3 days ago (I never got it). Now I have the actual email about the project but he forgot the loving attachment that he mentioned is included,

I'm getting two signals from this: they're a bunch of tech guys running the company and suck at HR type stuff, and/or they don't actually want me as a candidate (although they seem enthused otherwise). What the gently caress is the deal here? I would love to work with the tech stack and product they do, but they seem to suck at communication, even for a smallish startup (they dont even have a glassdoor)

bomblol fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 17, 2017

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They could also be extremely over worked and not have time for even basic poo poo without being bothered for something else. I have had a similar experience with a smaller place.
Also a red flag.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bomblol posted:

I'm getting two signals from this: they're a bunch of tech guys running the company and suck at HR type stuff, and/or they don't actually want me as a candidate (although they seem enthused otherwise). What the gently caress is the deal here? I would love to work with the tech stack and product they do, but they seem to suck at communication, even for a smallish startup (they dont even have a glassdoor)

They're almost certainly not playing games with you. Most likely the first thing or the thing Gildiss said, neither of which are very good signs I'm afraid.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just had a phone interview with Amazon where I answered a programming problem. It's the first time in about 6 years that anyone's asked me to actually write code during the interview process. The recruiter made a point of telling me that I could answer questions in any language I want as long as it's not pseudo-code. Interview day comes around and my most familiar language was not an option and the collaboration tool doesn't support executing code, only writing it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

rt4 posted:

Just had a phone interview with Amazon where I answered a programming problem. It's the first time in about 6 years that anyone's asked me to actually write code during the interview process. The recruiter made a point of telling me that I could answer questions in any language I want as long as it's not pseudo-code. Interview day comes around and my most familiar language was not an option and the collaboration tool doesn't support executing code, only writing it.

This is common. Google uses a shared google doc for phone interviews. What was stopping you from using the language you wanted?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

What language did you want to use?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

rt4 posted:

That sucks, was it the strange proctored programming test where they have some person in a call center watching you code on a webcam? They at least let me know ahead of time what my options were for languages.
On a related note, I am flying up to Seattle next week for my onsite with Amazon. The literature I got said it will be a group setting, anyone have experience with this sort of thing that can give me a heads up what I should be looking forward to/working on?
My current plan is to do a lot of hackerrank challenges, but writing the solutions out on paper first before putting code on the screen.
I recently got a rejection from Google after an onsite there, the only thing I can think of that I did poorly was the last question, the interviewer suggested a couple times that I work out an algorithm before writing code, but by then I was frazzled, and didn't really take the hint until it was too late.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ReverendCode posted:

I recently got a rejection from Google after an onsite there, the only thing I can think of that I did poorly was the last question, the interviewer suggested a couple times that I work out an algorithm before writing code, but by then I was frazzled, and didn't really take the hint until it was too late.

If you were writing code for any of the questions before talking through an algorithm and verifying with the interviewer that you're on the right track that's a big no no

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

This is common. Google uses a shared google doc for phone interviews. What was stopping you from using the language you wanted?

It was a programming tool with syntax highlighting for a select list of languages. I wanted to use PHP since it is unfortunately what I have the most experience with, but I went with Javascript instead. It just meant I had to spend more time switching back to the documentation than I would have otherwise.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Remember that Python is practically just compilable pseudocode.

I was rejected from Amazon last year. It was a round of one hour interviews with two people in the room at a time. Each hour started with it a short behavioral interview followed by a programming challenge.

It was mostly algorithm questions. But what tripped me up big time was a system modeling question, a topic I am weak at.

My recruiter at Amazon sent me a copy of Cracking the Code Interview to study. I really liked that book, and I think it helped, but then I wasn't hired, so the gently caress do I know.

nmx
May 16, 2004

rt4 posted:

It was a programming tool with syntax highlighting for a select list of languages. I wanted to use PHP since it is unfortunately what I have the most experience with, but I went with Javascript instead. It just meant I had to spend more time switching back to the documentation than I would have otherwise.

Could you not have picked something else like Java for the syntax highlight and written PHP?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe? I didn't think to ask that in the moment. Instead, I just went with Javascript and told him I'd spent most of my time with PHP so it'd require a little extra thinking on my part

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I passed that coding screen at Amazon without turning on syntax highlighting until like 90% the way through. (I think it was the interviewer pointing it a typo or something)

Don't worry about that part of it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been on the job search for over a year now. Probably ~350 jobs at this point. I kind of screwed myself because my resume I think reads that I can't decide on anything because it starts with an undergrad degree and two internships in mechanical engineering, two years with Peace Corps as a civil engineer, and over the last year and a half I've started studying web dev and programming. I got a job in August as a web developer but it was temp to hire and it was all government contract work and nobody wants to spend money on contracts right now with the changes in government so I was laid off. Now I'm back to the job search and the majority of the people contacting me are head hunters for contract work. A friend got me a job at his company and I've been working there while I job search so there isn't such an urgency but I'd like to start my career already. Should I attempt to hold out for full time work or continue to build my resume with great pay from contract work? I'm thinking my temp web dev job might legitimize my abilities a little bit? For what it's worth I'm in Boston.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I'm really at a loss for what to do right now with my job search. I get a lot of interviews, but it always comes down to this one moment where I think I fail: its the end of the day of the on-sites, theres been 5+ hours of interviews, and I've drained all my emotional and mental energy playing the extrovert/putting on a good face and solving problems. Then, without fail, after the first few hours, the exhaustion really starts to wear down on me and I start to just gently caress up with the whiteboarding and explanations.This is where I seem to always fail, and I don't see it changing. Are there companies that have interview processes that don't involve the typical CS clusterfuck interview process? because i'm really all out of energy and it doesn't seem to be working

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Stimulants: Soda, candy bars, coffee. Also, are you fat and out or shape?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I'm in good shape and I eat and live well, generally. I guess the biggest contributing factor is the many hours of driving and flying to get to interviews, which already puts me in a bad position. I guess there is no explicit "advice" anyone can give me, and I should just fuckin suck it up and deal with it until something works out.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bomblol posted:

Are there companies that have interview processes that don't involve the typical CS clusterfuck interview process?

Yes, most companies outside of San Francisco (or whatever particular startup hell) don't generally do that poo poo. You might have to program a little something or provide a code sample, but they tend to veer into either answering dumb computer trivia or telling stories about software development.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bomblol posted:

I'm in good shape and I eat and live well, generally. I guess the biggest contributing factor is the many hours of driving and flying to get to interviews, which already puts me in a bad position. I guess there is no explicit "advice" anyone can give me, and I should just fuckin suck it up and deal with it until something works out.

Low dose of Adderall or amphetamine may help. Ephedrine similarly. Can always try nootropics too. Big meal day before, nothing but light snacks day of can help (not sugary crap). Just take the edge off that hunger, because humans are smarter when slightly hungry. Propranolol or benzos if shaking or just mentally anxious, but don't combine with uppers. Ask in advance for a 30 minute solo break perhaps. Lock yourself in a closet for a few days so you crave Human contact.

The human body is just a computer we don't have the manual to.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

baquerd posted:

Low dose of Adderall or amphetamine may help. Ephedrine similarly. Can always try nootropics too. Big meal day before, nothing but light snacks day of can help (not sugary crap). Just take the edge off that hunger, because humans are smarter when slightly hungry. Propranolol or benzos if shaking or just mentally anxious, but don't combine with uppers. Ask in advance for a 30 minute solo break perhaps. Lock yourself in a closet for a few days so you crave Human contact.

:stare::stare::stare:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

huhu posted:

Should I attempt to hold out for full time work or continue to build my resume with great pay from contract work? I'm thinking my temp web dev job might legitimize my abilities a little bit? For what it's worth I'm in Boston.

Keep the job have and keep applying for the job you want. More years of experience means you'll have an easier time getting past HR departments. (And as long as you're working 40 hours a week, contract work is full time.)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

baquerd posted:

Lock yourself in a closet for a few days so you crave Human contact.

This is why they used to keep computers in dedicated rooms. Isolating them from ambient contact made them all the more responsive when actually used. :eng101:

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

baquerd posted:

Lock yourself in a closet for a few days so you crave Human contact.

I love this.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Is it still reccomended to negotiate for very first entry level positions? I'm finishing up a 2 year college course in April and am about to head to a second interview for a C# developer position. Not sure if I should be attempting to negotiate higher salary when I have essentially no leverage. Then again it's very early in the year and I could have a bunch of other offers by the time I graduate.

Is it an ok idea to accept an offer if I get it but then continue interviewing and see if I can find something better by April? Nothing else is in the works right now but I expect to hear back from some other internship opportunities in a couple months...

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Never not negotiate.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Ornithology posted:

Is it still reccomended to negotiate for very first entry level positions? I'm finishing up a 2 year college course in April and am about to head to a second interview for a C# developer position. Not sure if I should be attempting to negotiate higher salary when I have essentially no leverage. Then again it's very early in the year and I could have a bunch of other offers by the time I graduate.

Is it an ok idea to accept an offer if I get it but then continue interviewing and see if I can find something better by April? Nothing else is in the works right now but I expect to hear back from some other internship opportunities in a couple months...

Don't accept a job if you have no interest in the offer sheet. It's fine to keep interviewing, but I wouldn't take a job you don't want, obviously.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Grump posted:

Don't accept a job if you have no interest in the offer sheet. It's fine to keep interviewing, but I wouldn't take a job you don't want, obviously.

I definitely am interested in it, it's just that it is quite early in the year still and I don't know what other opportunities might come along that could be better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do not accept an offer and then renege on it. Generating a lot of bad will is not going to do you any favors.

If you are waiting for responses from other interviews and you don't have to respond to the offer immediately, do wait until you hear from them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

This basically. There are always places that will try to lowball you or throw out awful offers hoping for That One Guy that will take it.

I got over 25% more than an initial offer in the space of a few hours for my entry level gig by just going "no, too low."

Worst case scenario they say no and stick to the original offer. If that offer is bad (there are places out there trying to get competent devs for 30k a year, mind) just plain refuse.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Digirat posted:

If you are waiting for responses from other interviews and you don't have to respond to the offer immediately, do wait until you hear from them.

You can also let your other interviewers know that you have a time table for accepting an offer, they may be able to make a decision quicker for you.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Ornithology posted:

I definitely am interested in it, it's just that it is quite early in the year still and I don't know what other opportunities might come along that could be better.

I was in a position where I got an offer, and they gave me a week to decide if I wanted the job or not. But I was waiting on a second company to get back to me.

I ended up accepting the first offer, which was good because the second company ended up giving me a rejection the next week. Sometimes you just gotta make a decision. :shrug: When a good opportunity comes along, take it. It's hard to tell if you're making the right choice, but whatever. The job application process sucks anyway.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Digirat posted:

Do not accept an offer and then renege on it. Generating a lot of bad will is not going to do you any favors.

I don't agree with this at all. It potentially generates bad will that could impact you later and you should weigh that against the better offer. If the company wants to guarantee that you'll work for them then they should offer an employment contract other than at-will. At-will employment cuts both ways. I think this is particularly true for new grads as an employer is highly unlikely to let you take 3-6 months to decide on an offer.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This basically. There are always places that will try to lowball you or throw out awful offers hoping for That One Guy that will take it.

I got over 25% more than an initial offer in the space of a few hours for my entry level gig by just going "no, too low."

Worst case scenario they say no and stick to the original offer. If that offer is bad (there are places out there trying to get competent devs for 30k a year, mind) just plain refuse.

One of the first places that offered a position to me was for $10/hr part time. Needless to say I am not with them and am still looking.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

bomblol posted:

I'm really at a loss for what to do right now with my job search. I get a lot of interviews, but it always comes down to this one moment where I think I fail: its the end of the day of the on-sites, theres been 5+ hours of interviews, and I've drained all my emotional and mental energy playing the extrovert/putting on a good face and solving problems. Then, without fail, after the first few hours, the exhaustion really starts to wear down on me and I start to just gently caress up with the whiteboarding and explanations.This is where I seem to always fail, and I don't see it changing. Are there companies that have interview processes that don't involve the typical CS clusterfuck interview process? because i'm really all out of energy and it doesn't seem to be working

The worst is these kinds of marathons just aren't helpful for precisely that reason. I know we have cut down the number of interviews over the years, and no longer have "lunch interviews", which IMO are the worst thing in the world.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got tipped off about one of my company's StackOverflow postings by a friend who's looking for a job. Who knew we had such hostile language in our job postings?

http://stackoverflow.com/jobs/132492/infrastructure-engineer-mass-mutual-financial-group

quote:

Expedited Processing for Your Application

You can secure expedited processing for your application (to /dev/null) by demonstrating any of the following symptoms or conditions:

- Your response to this post is transparently part of an impersonal mass-application effort;
- you are an opportunist who routinely and surreptitiously courts recruiters or attends interviews in an effort to score an improbable raise or other enhancement to your already-superior working conditions;
- you view yourself as a rare and elite developer but have less than three years full-time professional engineering experience, and believe employers should be grateful to expend three hours discovering these facts about you;
- you have never programmed professionally with Python;
- you are in the process of wrapping up a Masters degree, have taken some relevant course work, and can't speak meaningfully about any nontrivial problems you have personally solved with software.

Hm, they also have a challenge for prospective employees to decode some base64. I wonder what following that challenge leads me to-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

:eyepop:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Just got tipped off about one of my company's StackOverflow postings by a friend who's looking for a job. Who knew we had such hostile language in our job postings?

These people really are assholes. Good luck hiring anyone like that!

Only registered members can see post attachments!