Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Who's going to pull over the Batmobile? The Dynamic Duo are fully deputized by the GCPD. They've got a siren and everything.

That doesn't mean they can just ignore traffic laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lurdiak posted:

Batman '66 vs. Barney Fife.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Tell that to every cop ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Tell that to every cop ever.

Adam West Batman is a much more upstanding citizen than any real life authority figure.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

Adam West Batman is a much more upstanding citizen than any real life authority figure.

I was going to say, I can't really argue with this. WestBats wouldn't have to obey traffic laws, but he darned well would.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chaos Hippy posted:

I was going to say, I can't really argue with this. WestBats wouldn't have to obey traffic laws, but he darned well would.

Due to my brother's love of Judge Dredd, I'm imagining Batman temporarily thwarted by the Joker taunting him from the wrong side of a one way street. Then Batman solving this by just throwing a batarang at him.

But to give it an extra bit of 60's batman style. He'll have thrown it in such a way so that it only passed through the one way street in the correct direction :downs:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Section Z posted:

Due to my brother's love of Judge Dredd, I'm imagining Batman temporarily thwarted by the Joker taunting him from the wrong side of a one way street. Then Batman solving this by just throwing a batarang at him.

But to give it an extra bit of 60's batman style. He'll have thrown it in such a way so that it only passed through the one way street in the correct direction :downs:

When you're trying to chase someone around a table, the other person just runs in the opposite direction and you can be stalemated. I imagine that but with Batman and Joker being kitty-corner from each other at an intersection and every time Batman crosses the street with the light in his favour, Joker crosses the same street the other way.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Chaos Hippy posted:

He knows, in his Bat-Heart of Bat-Hearts, that while he was lecturing Robin about the importance of following traffic laws, Penguin, who just ran a red light, would have a near-collision and the Penguinmobile would wind up crashing into a fishmonger's stand or something. "Let that be a lesson to you...."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From memory there is straight up an episode of the old Adam West Batman show where an old lady sees the Batmobile speeding by and complains to a cop about it. The cop then informs her that Batman is fully deputized and thus allowed to break speed limits when in pursuit of a criminal.... BUT Batman also fully understands and supports road safety, and in fact actually teaches road safety courses on weekends to help the good citizens of Gotham be better and more courteous drivers.

In short, I love the old Batman TV series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hell, in the first episode, Batman drinks some spiked orange juice and a cop refuses to let Batman drive the Batmobile drunk to save Robin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember being told years ago that there's an episode where Batman and Robin jump into the Batmobile and Batman says, "Robin! You haven't put your seat-belt on!" and Robin replies, "But Batman, the Batmobile's not moving yet!" and Batman says, "I know, but safety first!" I'm not sure if it's something that was really in the show, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Likewise, I've heard there was one where one character (probably either Commissioner Gordon or the Joker) says, "Would you like a piece of candy, Batman?" and Batman's reply is, "Actually, I'd prefer a piece of fresh fruit if you have it." Again, don't think it's actually in any episode, but I really, really want it to be.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Batman does correct Robin's grammar in the '66 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V21aZ_ZuoJM

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
There's an episode where some villain of the week is up to no good at some building (might be city hall), where Batman and Robin pull up and park the Batmobile. Robin jumps out, starts to rush off, but Batman stops him, then gives him a lecture about making sure to feed the parking meter. That's not a joke, that actually happens.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it happened, and was also a joke.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it happened, and was also a joke.

Proper adherence to Gotham City's parking laws is no joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SomeMathGuy posted:

Proper adherence to Gotham City's parking laws is no joke.

Gosh, Batman, when you put it that way.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
How does the bat mobile pass Fotham's emissions laws with that big 'ol turbo engine on the back?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's legally agricultural equipment.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Reposting from the Newspaper Spiderman thread

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Started looking through the archives more or less at random, and I just really appreciate how much incompetence/slapstick they crammed into five panels:

That was the dramatic climax of several months of storyline.

Newspaper Spiderman is too pure for this world. :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I love that camera not withstanding he was still running at a cliff.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why is Spiderman having a slapstick fight with Lenin?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferrule posted:

How does the bat mobile pass Fotham's emissions laws with that big 'ol turbo engine on the back?

It's 0 emission because it's nuclear powered.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
You can't beat the classics.

(Silver Surfer vol. 7...or something like that. The 2014-2015 run! That one!)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've never watched a single episode of Batman '66 and I never will, because it cannot possibly stand up to what I've built up in my mind

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Calaveron posted:

I've never watched a single episode of Batman '66 and I never will, because it cannot possibly stand up to what I've built up in my mind

Batman 66 is probably the only show that could actually live up to someone's brainhype, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Watch it.

There's no way your imagination could possibly match the reality.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Calaveron posted:

It's better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Did you imagine Vincent Price fitting an "egg" pun into every line he delivers? Of course not. You must watch it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I suggest any episode with King Tut. Victor Buono, like a lot of the actors cast as villains on the show, was a legit actor and he used the show as an outlet to go completely wild with a character and it's fun as hell to watch. When I was kid I didn't like those episodes because I took the show at face value as a superhero show and I had no idea who King Tut was so I didn't find him interesting. As an adult his episodes are among my favorite because of Buono's absolutely insane performance. It was like seeing a man revert back to a child and just be as goofy as possible. It's quite a sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQ0RHE8ZhA

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it streaming on anything?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Is it streaming on anything?

No. Only the 1966 movie is on Netflix/Amazon Prime

You can buy the seasons on iTunes/Amazon. Each season is $29, seasons 1-3 have 30 eps. and season 4 has 26 eps.

I know this, because I was hunting around for it last weekend.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The movie is slightly overdone even by the standards of the series, but is a pretty good way to get a feel for it if the goal is to try before you commit to the deluxe Blu-ray box set which I definitely don't lovingly display on my bookshelf where it can be quickly accessed at any time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everyone plays it completely straight too. There isn't a single wink or nudge in sight. They were real comedy pros.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got the Blu-Ray set on sale awhile back. Still have to watch them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is one of my favorite single scenes in all of Batman '66. It even has a classic Batman moment at the end about Constitutional Rights.

https://streamable.com/ym3t4

"Who dares impugn the veracity of Tut? Nabob of the Nile! Moon God of Thoth, and... and... stuff like that."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nabob is a nice touch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When I was a kid I didn't have cable (:corsair:) and so I didn't get Batman The Animated Series, so my only exposure to Batman were reruns of the 66 live action show, which I was too young to identify as deliberate camp, and the Tim Burton movie. I was under the impression Batman was extremely ridiculous and dumb and didn't understand why some of my friends thought he was cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

X-O posted:

When I was kid I didn't like those episodes because I took the show at face value as a superhero show

I still remember the moment I realized it was meant to be a comedy and the actors/writers were fully aware of the lunacy of the world they had created. Batman and Robin are chasing somebody in the Batmobile (The Joker maybe, it doesn't really matter) who flees through a gold course. Robin shouts they should continue and Batman replies,"No Robin, the members of this club paid their fees for use of that golf course, it would be unfair to them if we were to damage the grounds." Robin punches his palm angrily but in full acceptance, he can't argue with Batman's logic!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 18, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

This is one of my favorite single scenes in all of Batman '66. It even has a classic Batman moment at the end about Constitutional Rights.

https://streamable.com/ym3t4

"Who dares impugn the veracity of Tut? Nabob of the Nile! Moon God of Thoth, and... and... stuff like that."

And this *has* to be where Black Dynamite got that Anaconda Malt Liquor chain of reasoning scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKYQvP0zQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the reunion animated movie they did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jBRFNAXr8