Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

head58 posted:

Can someone explain to me how Morghoul2's Shadowplay spell works using very small words as if I were an extremely stupid child?

So I cast it and the target gets incorporeal this turn, fine. Then on my opponent's turn the incorp goes away, still good. Then on my next turn lets say I don't upkeep it. Does the target still get incorp on that turn? And is anything blocking me from casting it on another model?

If you don't upkeep, it doesn't get incorporeal during your control phase. But as far as I can tell there's nothing stopping you from casting it several times in a turn to make several models incorporeal.

rkajdi posted:

You can damage a colossal and force it to discard half its action. It's probably the best common control effect that isn't shakeable.

While that's true, it's still a pow 11 spell being cast by a fury 5 caster. What makes xerxis2 in particular good for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Xerxis 2 has Field Marshal [+2 spd]. That's really really good.

These are good changes! Sister of Battle are finally good again!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hey Skorne players. Super excited about all your new rules? Why not try them out at my super awesome event?

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?263389-The-Americas-Team-Championship-2017

No, I have no shame. Why do you ask?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Does rapport and long leash stack

Does an archidon with rapport count as in control range from 40 inches away

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

My man the rhinidon getting some nice things, I always believed in you, buddy :unsmith:

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

chutche2 posted:

Does rapport and long leash stack

Does an archidon with rapport count as in control range from 40 inches away

Yes, and they specifically call this out in the developer notes for the errata. Which are super cool and worth reading over if you want to see why changes were made:

http://privateerpress.com/january-skorne-errata-developers-notes

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

head58 posted:

Can someone explain to me how Morghoul2's Shadowplay spell works using very small words as if I were an extremely stupid child?

So I cast it and the target gets incorporeal this turn, fine. Then on my opponent's turn the incorp goes away, still good. Then on my next turn lets say I don't upkeep it. Does the target still get incorp on that turn? And is anything blocking me from casting it on another model?

If you look at the Player Turn Sequence (p.29 of the small Warmachine book) you get your answer. For the Control phase, you pay for upkeeps in step 4, but don't get to do "all other effects" until step 5. So you need to pay to upkeep the spell to use it that round.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

rkajdi posted:

If you look at the Player Turn Sequence (p.29 of the small Warmachine book) you get your answer. For the Control phase, you pay for upkeeps in step 4, but don't get to do "all other effects" until step 5. So you need to pay to upkeep the spell to use it that round.

Seems like the intent of the wording is "target gets incorporeal now, and at the start of each turn as long as you upkeep this buff," yeah? Seems like incorporeal just requires the weird wording because it falls off when you attack.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chutche2 posted:

While that's true, it's still a pow 11 spell being cast by a fury 5 caster. What makes xerxis2 in particular good for it?

I wouldn't use it with Xerxis, but it sounds like something that would be good for Marketh to cast. As far a nukes go, Stranglehold has one of the best riders, so I could see casting it in some cases. Petrify was a lovely nuke, so it had no point at all.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magres posted:

Seems like the intent of the wording is "target gets incorporeal now, and at the start of each turn as long as you upkeep this buff," yeah? Seems like incorporeal just requires the weird wording because it falls off when you attack.

It also is only on your own turn, so it's like Immortals in that it's only good for terrain and free strikes 95% of the time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it's worded that way because incorp falls off if you attack so it has to keep reapplying it to function like you want it to, I think

also you can upkeep it on unit a, then recast it on unit b during your activation and have two incorporeal units

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
New box sets for 2017. Get ready for cash grabs...

It's gaspy with banes! Who'da guessed. I mean, it's not like Cryx has fantastic infantry options, especially in plastic.... but christ, can't they do something other than a bane-centric set for them? That said, it's a decent list... just... uninspired. I'd have loved to see a good Mortenabra list go here instead...

And in case you were gonna think they wouldn't do a jack/beast heavy list...

Circle with the beast spam, including two griffons for your 2Una stompy-spam list.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The circle tradition of a pair of light beast paper weights

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
People in my area have been complaining of not being able to acquire griffons for their spam lists... Here's a $160 way to get 2, easy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

No one runs rotterhorns in anything. Scarfell is the only thing with wings that is used before and after a caster was made that did stuff for birds

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they make these like they did the old ones, they will be full multi-part kits.. otherwise it's just a headswap or greenstuffed hood to make them into scarsfell.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

koreban posted:

If they make these like they did the old ones, they will be full multi-part kits.. otherwise it's just a headswap or greenstuffed hood to make them into scarsfell.

Lights have never been multikits.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'm frustrated that Una does nothing for the roc and doesn't want to use the less popular Griffons. My friend thinks they should take long leash off the scarfell. It would probably knee cap what makes Una so obnoxious and suddenly the rest of her card might come into play. I think its a good idea but I hope they compensate it some how. The lights are already pretty marginal.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

chutche2 posted:

For me, it has to do with what the threats are to Xerxis2 himself. With the changes to Skorne, Xerxis2 probably isn't going to die to shooting, at least the shooting most lists will be bringing. The way a lot of lists in the current meta will have to deal with him is with a melee heavy. Stranglehold means that one or more of their heavies will not be a threat to Xerxis2 that turn. That means that he can play more aggressively, which in my opinion is a huge part of the reason to even bring him in the first place. The way I see Xerxis2 working is that he opens with a very strong alpha and then gets personally involved in order to retain the advantage you gain in that alpha. Stranglehold lets him do that a lot more safely. It's not guaranteed, obviously Focus 5 is a thing (although Marketh helps here with MA 7) and it has to damage etc. However if it does land, there are perishingly few ways around it. It's particularly relevant because while he gained a ton, he lost 2" of personal threat and more importantly, 2" of Sprint distance, meaning it's harder to keep him safe from those melee threats.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Where can I get some desert grass/shrubs for some menoth basing? GF9 does some really nice spring foliage clumps, but for arid they only have static grass, not foliage clumps.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

chutche2 posted:

If you don't upkeep, it doesn't get incorporeal during your control phase. But as far as I can tell there's nothing stopping you from casting it several times in a turn to make several models incorporeal.

I had this discussion with a Skorne player earlier, and it's because of the force he can project up the field. Stranglehold can keep him and his list safe from a particular heavy, or colossal, and with as hard as Skorne can hit in melee, that stuff doesn't need his feat. His field marshal means he's naturally out-threating a lot of the really nasty stuff in the game, and if you commit Tiberion it can keep more than one heavy from coming into Tibs, or keeping a colossal from fully committing. Use his feat to get stranglehold onto an important target, and take Marketh to do it twice on feat turn, and you can get a lot of work out of your guns while using stranglehold to protect either your more squishy stuff from melee or protecting the stuff you commit that turn from counterattack. And, of course, he can project it very far up the board if he gets the chance to charge -> stranglehold => sprint.

e: Attack Bacon knows what's up

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 18, 2017

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

chutche2 posted:

Where can I get some desert grass/shrubs for some menoth basing? GF9 does some really nice spring foliage clumps, but for arid they only have static grass, not foliage clumps.

Army Painter does some tuft and shrub packs. How dry and desiccated are you looking?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Impaler posted:

Army Painter does some tuft and shrub packs. How dry and desiccated are you looking?

Spaghetti Western level

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Hm, you'd probably want to check out 'field grass' (woodland scenics/ secret weapon) which you cut down, and clump up yourself.
Had a look at these ideas?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I like the look of that woodland straw one.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

Lights have never been multikits.

Oh, right. Khador-world problems...

Still, greenstuff hoods over them and call it a day.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Jesus why does woodland scenics want $10 shipping for a $5 bag of grass

Maybe amazon has it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fwiw that pack of grass flock will last you basically forever.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

koreban posted:

Fwiw that pack of grass flock will last you basically forever.

It's not flock, it's the field grass. It actually won't last that long it looks like, it's a little baggie of 2 inch fibers that you cut to length for grass.

I can get it on amazon with shipping for less than $6

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I cannot sing higher praises for Sturm and Drang. Four times now I was facing serious trouble, but thanks to how amazing they are, I was able to claw my way to victory.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm frustrated that Una does nothing for the roc and doesn't want to use the less popular Griffons. My friend thinks they should take long leash off the scarfell. It would probably knee cap what makes Una so obnoxious and suddenly the rest of her card might come into play. I think its a good idea but I hope they compensate it some how. The lights are already pretty marginal.

They should keep long leash but trade stealth for prowl, imo.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I cannot sing higher praises for Sturm and Drang. Four times now I was facing serious trouble, but thanks to how amazing they are, I was able to claw my way to victory.

My best win/loss ratio this edition is with them. They're a sleeper hit.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

rydiafan posted:

They should keep long leash but trade stealth for prowl, imo.

Oh yeah that would probably be sufficient

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Apparently they aren't popular? I like the looks of their kit. Sturm has so much defensive tech I honestly keep forgetting about the no charge spell

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

rydiafan posted:

My best win/loss ratio this edition is with them. They're a sleeper hit.

I think I've lost twice with them and that's when I was first learning pigs. He is a top caster and has so many answers to so many problems. He just makes me feel like Mr Pig.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh yeah that would probably be sufficient

Apparently they aren't popular? I like the looks of their kit. Sturm has so much defensive tech I honestly keep forgetting about the no charge spell

Polarity Field, TK, Vision and Deceleration are just not fun for your opponent to deal with, especially when combined with Shield Guard from your beasts. The fact that after all those defensive abilities you can then hit a switch and tune your beasts into accurate hard killing machines that can Conga line dance through enemy infantry or rip heavies off the table is a thing of beauty. I really like him in theme since all of his abilities really compliment all of theme models abilities.

War Room Army

Minions - Sturm and Drang

Armory - Steamroller Objective

Sturm & Drang - WB: +28
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Road Hog - PC: 16
- Battle Boar - PC: 7

Meat Thresher - PC: 19

Alten Ashley - PC: 6
Efaarit Scouts - PC: 0
Efaarit Scouts - PC: 0
Swamp Gobber Chef - PC: 1

Farrow Bone Grinders - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Farrow Brigands - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Farrow Brigand Warlord - PC: 4

I had the commandos in this list before but they just weren't performing to what the list needed. Swapped them out for brigands and warlord and never looked back.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I like that he does stuff for the meat thresher. It's too hard to fit that in for other casters.

When I try him out I was going to try this

War Room Army

Minions - S&D

Theme: The Thornfall Alliance
75 / 75 Army

Sturm & Drang - WB: +28
- Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Road Hog - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- War Hog - PC: 15
- Road Hog - PC: 16
- Gun Boar - PC: 9

Meat Thresher - PC: 19

Alten Ashley - PC: 6

THEME: The Thornfall Alliance
---

GENERATED : 01/18/2017 11:29:36
BUILD ID : 2034.17-01-07

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, agreeing that he's amazing. I gave up on the meat thresher early (and reluctantly) to fit a road hog and more infantry in. He has solutions for so many problems it's amazing. And using polarity field well can be a nightmare for your opponent. Just remember that they can still trample!

My only beef is usually not wanting to switch over to Drang and losing those sweet sweet TK's

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pack hunters and free charges is great but I can easily see match ups where it's unnecessary.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
got an email today from the shop that Privateer is going to be offering 50 point army boxes directly to retailers, skipping over distros entirely

whcih is kinda dope

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I finally bit the bullet and picked up some Flame Bringers. I'm not looking forward to assembling them but I am looking forward to them never getting hit with Defender's Ward and working in the new Flameguard theme force

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah I'm kinda tempted to pick up the Cryx one honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

mp5 posted:

I finally bit the bullet and picked up some Flame Bringers. I'm not looking forward to assembling them but I am looking forward to them never getting hit with Defender's Ward and working in the new Flameguard theme force

Flamebringers on Severius1 are totally good and awesome and I miss them dearly.