Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's fine but people who purposely skip jury duty shouldn't then be complaining about how hosed the jury system is. Its hosed because people are selfish, good luck fixing that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Actually I think it's hosed because it turns trials that are supposed to be about facts into theatrics and swaying randos off the street with emotional appeals. I don't want to have part in something I fundamentally disagree with.

Luckily in Canada we have far fewer jury trials than the US since the bar for juries being an option is far higher.

edit: That's not to say that any system can be perfectly objective but if it came down to it if I was innocent I'd rather have a judge making the decision because I'd trust a judge to make better decisions based on facts (I guess if I was guilty and trying to get off I'd want a jury so that they could be swayed more easily)

edit 2 because why the gently caress not: There are also issues like poor compensation and lack of emotional support/funding for counselling and psych treatment after particularly awful and gruesome trials

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Jan 17, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BattleMaster posted:

Actually I think it's hosed because it turns trials that are supposed to be about facts into theatrics and swaying randos off the street with emotional appeals. I don't want to have part in something I fundamentally disagree with.

Luckily in Canada we have far fewer jury trials than the US since the bar for juries being an option is far higher.

edit: That's not to say that any system can be perfectly objective but if it came down to it if I was innocent I'd rather have a judge making the decision because I'd trust a judge to make better decisions based on facts (I guess if I was guilty and trying to get off I'd want a jury so that they could be swayed more easily)

You do realize that trial by jury is completely optional right? Lawyers choose to have a trial by jury because it's better for their client.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You do realize that trial by jury is completely optional right? Lawyers choose to have a trial by jury because it's better for their client.

The fact that it's considered to be advantageous for any party is what I don't like about it, yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can argue it from both directions though. Sure, a judge should theoretically be in a better position to be completely objective about your case. Operative word there being "should". Because if he's not, you could be completely hosed because the entire thing rests in the hands of a single person. With a jury, if you do get stuck with a few people who have already decided you're guilty, there's still the majority left who can vote not-guilty and save your rear end from prison.

Like you said, there's no perfect way and there will always be pros and cons. But smart, upstanding people going out of their way to avoid jury duty certainly doesn't make things any better because it makes the jury pool that much thicker with idiots.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

You can argue it from both directions though. Sure, a judge should theoretically be in a better position to be completely objective about your case. Operative word there being "should". Because if he's not, you could be completely hosed because the entire thing rests in the hands of a single person. With a jury, if you do get stuck with a few people who have already decided you're guilty, there's still the majority left who can vote not-guilty and save your rear end from prison.

Like you said, there's no perfect way and there will always be pros and cons. But smart, upstanding people going out of their way to avoid jury duty certainly doesn't make things any better because it makes the jury pool that much thicker with idiots.

Another thing is that in some places judges are elected and that "tough on crime" is a popular platform to run on so I wouldn't trust a judge in such places.

WRT the selection process though I look at it as less like "too stupid to get off the jury" and more like "people who did on purpose won't do anyone any favors anyway." At the least you do want people who want to be there.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jan 17, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

WRT the selection process though I look at it as less like "too stupid to get off the jury" and more like "people who did on purpose won't do anyone any favors anyway." At the least you do want people who want to be there.

I'd much prefer to have a person who'd rather not be there if they're reasonably intelligent and are able to understand basic concepts like burden of proof and probability. That's miles better than, for instance, idiots who think its ok to "go with their gut" or people who have seen too many crime procedurals and think that nobody should ever be convicted without DNA evidence.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

I'd much prefer to have a person who'd rather not be there if they're reasonably intelligent and are able to understand basic concepts like burden of proof and probability. That's miles better than, for instance, idiots who think its ok to "go with their gut" or people who have seen too many crime procedurals and think that nobody should ever be convicted without DNA evidence.

Unfortunately, being a judge doesn't necessarily mean you have good judgment, a reasonable person's understanding of science, or even a throbbing desire to see justice done. Neither the electoral system nor the appointment system are guarantees against corruption or stupidity. The option to have a trial by jury at least provides someone the chance of a fairer trial if the judge is compromised.

Once again, the truly unnerving thing is human nature.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
If you think trial by judge is better, you should read about the kids for cash scandal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Two judges sentencing and possibly convicting thousands of juveniles in exchange for bribes.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Once again, the truly unnerving thing is human nature.

I feel like that line can sum up every Twilight Zone episode.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Basebf555 posted:

That's fine but people who purposely skip jury duty shouldn't then be complaining about how hosed the jury system is. Its hosed because people are selfish, good luck fixing that problem.
Yo, paying rent isn't selfish.

Anyway, can we get off this stupid jury duty derail and back to something interesting like plane crashes?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

Yo, paying rent isn't selfish.

If your situation is that missing a few days of work is going to cost you enough money that you won't be able to pay your rent, then by all means forget about jury duty. That's a pretty specific circumstance though, otherwise just suck it up and go to jury duty. Simply saying "I'd make more money if I didn't go to jury duty today" isn't a valid excuse in my opinion.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I always wanted to get called up for jury duty, but the one time I did I was right before I was about to move to another state. The clerk just had me give my new address and sign and that was it. In the ten years since I've never gotten another one.

For content: Your Black Muslim Bakery

What started out as Muslim bakery in the 60's ended up causing 50 years of every kind of chaos imaginable, from accusations of cultism to sexual abuse, drug dealing, fraud, extortion, political corruption, and murder (including the murder of a journalist who was investigating the business).

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Basebf555 posted:

If your situation is that missing a few days of work is going to cost you enough money that you won't be able to pay your rent, then by all means forget about jury duty. That's a pretty specific circumstance though, otherwise just suck it up and go to jury duty. Simply saying "I'd make more money if I didn't go to jury duty today" isn't a valid excuse in my opinion.
Yeah, I don't really know anyone who isn't living paycheck-to-paycheck, so "more money" is pretty much always a "trying to pay the rent" situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

Yeah, I don't really know anyone who isn't living paycheck-to-paycheck, so "more money" is pretty much always a "trying to pay the rent" situation.

I mean, you can stretch the definition of "trying to pay the rent" as far as you want to rationalize away a responsibility, but if someone is truly a few missed days of income away from being unable to pay rent then I agree with you that its ok to skip jury duty. I've been in that situation myself and I do know that a few days here and there can make the difference in your budget.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

You can argue it from both directions though. Sure, a judge should theoretically be in a better position to be completely objective about your case.

"Completely objective about your case" is historically *not* always a desirable thing. Consider that one big historical use of jury nullification was in regards to the Fugitive Slave Act, which required that citizens of Northern states which had abolished slavery were subject to imprisonment and fine if they assisted fugitive slaves by providing them air or food or shelter.

Completely objectively, most of the people charged with violating that law were guilty as hell. If you were accused of breaking it, leaving it up to a judge on the basis that he would be more objective than a jury of your probably-abolitionist peers would be probably the single dumbest thing you can do.

And that's not like some remote historical antecedent, either. Let's say you're busted on a *Federal* pot charge in Colorado. What you've done is clearly illegal by Federal law, they have you dead to rights, but your action was entirely legal under state law. Do you go before a judge or do you demand a jury trial of your fellow Coloradans who have decided to legalize pot?

The "low bar" for jury trials in the US is a specific feature. The people who founded the place weren't too fond of people being tried and judged by a bunch of nobleman-run tribunals and star chambers, and the supremacy of the jury verdict in the face of direction from the courts was a *big deal* to them. William Penn himself was charged with unlawful assembly in 1670, tried by a jury, found not guilty, and then the judge presiding over the case held the jury in contempt of court and threw the *jury* in jail.

In the only jury trial ever held before the Supreme Court, the first Chief Justice advised the jury:

quote:

It may not be amiss, here, Gentlemen, to remind you of the good old rule, that on questions of fact, it is the province of the jury, on questions of law, it is the province of the court to decide. But it must be observed that by the same law, which recognizes this reasonable distribution of jurisdiction, you have nevertheless a right to take upon yourselves to judge of both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy. On this, and on every other occasion, however, we have no doubt, you will pay that respect, which is due to the opinion of the court: For, as on the one hand, it is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumbable, that the court are the best judges of the law. But still both objects are lawfully, within your power of decision.

A jury can decide how it wants to decide, regardless of the objective law at issue. That's *usually* a feature (and when it's been a bug, like with white Southern juries refusing to convict people who attacked blacks during the Reconstruction or Civil-Rights-era South, that's what leads to exploration of what exactly constitutes a jury of one's peers). I've never seen a low bar to jury trial being criticized as a problem before.

quote:

Operative word there being "should". Because if he's not, you could be completely hosed because the entire thing rests in the hands of a single person. With a jury, if you do get stuck with a few people who have already decided you're guilty, there's still the majority left who can vote not-guilty and save your rear end from prison.

One. One person who thinks you're innocent can vote not guilty and save your rear end from prison. Usually. Jury verdicts don't need to be unanimous in some circumstances but generally in criminal cases they do. Only Oregon and Louisiana allow non-unanimous jury decisions, and 9-3 verdicts are permissible there (I think). But there's no criminal case that I can think of where you'd need a *majority* of the jurors to find in your favor in order to avoid conviction.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RNG posted:

I always wanted to get called up for jury duty, but the one time I did I was right before I was about to move to another state. The clerk just had me give my new address and sign and that was it. In the ten years since I've never gotten another one.

For content: Your Black Muslim Bakery

What started out as Muslim bakery in the 60's ended up causing 50 years of every kind of chaos imaginable, from accusations of cultism to sexual abuse, drug dealing, fraud, extortion, political corruption, and murder (including the murder of a journalist who was investigating the business).

Wow, thanks. How had I never heard of that? That story has everything.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, you can stretch the definition of "trying to pay the rent" as far as you want to rationalize away a responsibility, but if someone is truly a few missed days of income away from being unable to pay rent then I agree with you that its ok to skip jury duty. I've been in that situation myself and I do know that a few days here and there can make the difference in your budget.

Your privilege is showing! "Paycheck to paycheck" isn't some rare thing in the US. Using government numbers, more than 10 percent of the population lives in poverty, and those numbers are generous. I mean, $20,000 for a family of three is pretty drat sketchy especially if you live in a food desert and have no car. All it takes is one bad day to wipe you out.

What do they call using that as a get-out-of-Jury-Duty card? Undue hardship? Something like that.

Anyway, this is pretty unnerving: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/09/05/what-poverty-looks-like-in-modern-america

quote:

This is one of the great eye-openers. America is the wealthiest nation in the world, yet it has higher levels of poverty than any other western democracy. Its poverty rates compare more with a country like Romania than with countries like Canada, France or Germany.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nckdictator posted:

Ok, weird historical thing here. So I was reading up on Nazi collaborators on Wiki and one had a brief reference to a massacre by French soldiers in World War 2

Now, that confused me because I consider myself vaguely well read and hadn't heard of anything like that so I did a google search and found more details posted on various, it reads like a darkly comic farce

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/50389-abbeville-massacre-by-french-troops-1940/

That just raised more questions on how the hell a Canadian hockey coach ended up being killed by French soldiers and another Google search supplied some more brief information.

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?7370-Bobby-bell

Not really unnerving but still bizarre how some poor hockey coach ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This kind of got lost in all the jury duty chat but it really is fascinating. Thanks for doing some extra digging. Now I am wondering what other athletes got mixed up in things way above their comfort zone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Aleph Null posted:

Anyway, this is pretty unnerving: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/09/05/what-poverty-looks-like-in-modern-america

quote:

This is one of the great eye-openers. America is the wealthiest nation in the world, yet it has higher levels of poverty than any other western democracy. Its poverty rates compare more with a country like Romania than with countries like Canada, France or Germany.

That's article's showing up as Access Denied, but I've seen claims like that before and they're frequently just silly because they don't consider buying power at all. Since it's denied, I can't see how they're measuring poverty, but international organizations frequently measure it as a % of the national median household income. UNICEF uses 60%. If you live in the US and your household earns less than 60% of the median household income, you are po. But cross-country comparisons like that are senseless unless you adjust for purchasing power, and in relation to cost of living, the median income in the US is way higher than the median income in a lot of Europe: the middle-class of Romania would be impoverished in the United States.. If you earn only 60% of the median income in the US you're probably better off if you earned the median income in places like Portugal. If you adjust state median incomes for purchasing power on a state-by-state basis (as opposed to just a single value for the entire US), Germany's median income is lower than every single US state, Sweden's median income is higher than only 6 states, Colorado's median income is just about the same as Switzerland.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

Your privilege is showing! "Paycheck to paycheck" isn't some rare thing in the US. Using government numbers, more than 10 percent of the population lives in poverty, and those numbers are generous. I mean, $20,000 for a family of three is pretty drat sketchy especially if you live in a food desert and have no car. All it takes is one bad day to wipe you out.

What do they call using that as a get-out-of-Jury-Duty card? Undue hardship? Something like that.

I clearly stated that if you're one bad day away from being financially wiped out, by all means skip jury duty. A lot of people just don't want to make less money for a few days though, and they don't think they should have to on basic principle.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my nerves are feeling pretty good and i'm not okay with that

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

pookel posted:

This is fascinating and much more interesting than jury duty chat. I especially wonder how he was still coaching after being executed.

Madkal posted:

This kind of got lost in all the jury duty chat but it really is fascinating. Thanks for doing some extra digging. Now I am wondering what other athletes got mixed up in things way above their comfort zone.

Thank you both. Trying to find reputable, non-academic information about non-Axis war crimes during WW2 is very difficult because it seems most of the people interested in writing about them are either Nazi apologists, or outright Neo Nazis. For example,one of the first results when you Google "Abbeville Massacre 1940" is this

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41891

Now, while there certainly seems to be reputable information there the fact that the forums describes itself as "an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics" is eyebrow raising, not to say anything of their header design.

The French Wikipedia page offers more information

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_d'Abbeville

Also, if google translate is right one of the victims was especially out of place

quote:

Leon Hirschfeld, Jew, schizophrenic, is arrested in Geel because speaking German

That's not even touching on how Bell was allegedly coaching after his death, unless there was another hockey coach in Nazi Germany with the exact same name. Looks like it's just one of those mysteries lost to time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nckdictator posted:

Thank you both. Trying to find reputable, non-academic information about non-Axis war crimes during WW2 is very difficult because it seems most of the people interested in writing about them are either Nazi apologists, or outright Neo Nazis. For example,one of the first results when you Google "Abbeville Massacre 1940" is this

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41891

Now, while there certainly seems to be reputable information there the fact that the forums describes itself as "an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics" is eyebrow raising, not to say anything of their header design.

The French Wikipedia page offers more information

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_d'Abbeville

Also, if google translate is right one of the victims was especially out of place

That's not even touching on how Bell was allegedly coaching after his death, unless there was another hockey coach in Nazi Germany with the exact same name. Looks like it's just one of those mysteries lost to time.

Been a while since I read it (and actually never finished it) but Niall Ferguson's The War of the World's opening chapters mentions a few occasions where both sides executed PoW's, whether out of revenge or orders or other reasons. I haven't got the book in front of me but he goes into quite a bit of detail about French executing Germans in WW I and both Russians and Germans killing each other's PoW's quite a few times.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Avshalom posted:

my nerves are feeling pretty good and i'm not okay with that

Ok, here's a classic from many years ago. It's the remote destruction switches for the space shuttle. An Air Force range safety officer sat there each launch with the responsibility of destroying the shuttle (and crew) if launch went very, very wrong. It was only ever used once, when the fuel tank of the shuttle Challenger exploded during launch. The solid rocket boosters veered off uncontrolled into possibly very unsafe directions so they were remotely detonated.

Here's the switches

Here's the one time they were used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tonZfDcvU&t=21s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah but both sides have to agree. The defence can’t unilaterally decide to have a bench trial.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Madkal posted:

Luz Long, the German athlete who competed against Jesse Owens in the Olympics, ended up joining the Wehrmacht and died in Italy during the invasion of Sicily.
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2016/08/tell-him-about-his-father.html

quote:

I am here, Jesse, where it seems there is only the dry sand and the wet blood. I do not fear so much for myself, my friend Jesse, I fear for my woman who is home, and my young son Karl, who has never really known his father.

My heart tells me, if I be honest with you, that this is the last letter I shall ever write. If it is so, I ask you something. It is a something so very important to me. It is you go to Germany when this war done, someday find my Karl, and tell him about his father. Tell him, Jesse, what times were like when we not separated by war. I am saying—tell him how things can be between men on this earth.

If you do this something for me, this thing that I need the most to know will be done, I do something for you, now. I tell you something I know you want to hear. And it is true.

That hour in Berlin when I first spoke to you, when you had your knee upon the ground, I knew that you were in prayer.

Then I not know how I know. Now I do. I know it is never by chance that we come together. I come to you that hour in 1936 for purpose more than der Berliner Olympiade.

And you, I believe, will read this letter, while it should not be possible to reach you ever, for purpose more even than our friendship.

I believe this shall come about because I think now that God will make it come about. This is what I have to tell you, Jesse.

I think I might believe in God.

And I pray to him that, even while it should not be possible for this to reach you ever, these words I write will still be read by you.

Your brother,
Luz

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Talking athletes that ended with weird/unnerving fates, I always feel really sorry for this dude. Get some issues with depression post-divorce and then BOOM, SECRET GOVERNMENT TESTING.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Blauer

quote:

Tennis

Blauer lost in round sixteen of the 1935 United States Professional Tennis Tournament 3-6, 3-6, 3-6 to tennis legend (and eventual tournament champion) Bill Tilden.

Death

Blauer checked into the New York Psychiatric Institute in late 1952, seeking help for depression following a divorce. While at the facility, he was used as a test subject in experiments conducted by the Army Chemical Corps. The Army had a classified agreement with the psychiatric institute that allowed them to study possible chemical warfare compounds by administering the substances to patients.[1] 450 mg of MDA (tenamfetamine), an analogue of the recreational drug MDMA, was adminstered intravenously as part of the Army's study which killed Blauer on January 8, 1953.

Blauer had no knowledge of the experiment being performed on him, and after his death the experiment was covered up by the state of New York, the U.S. government and the CIA for 22 years.[2] In 1987, a United States District Court judge awarded Blauer's estate over $700,000 in a ruling that described Blauer as a "guinea pig" whose medical records had been altered to disguise the actual cause of death.[1]

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/06/nyregion/388687.html
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-05-06/news/mn-2486_1_chemical-warfare-agents

Acid Dreams is a pretty entertaining/informative/horrifying book that I'm sure has been touched on a million times throughout this thread, ala Command and Control. The crazy loving Acid General still cracks me up though.

quote:

According to Major General William Creasy, chemical incapacitants went hand in glove with the strategic requirements of the Cold War. As chief officer of the Army Chemical Corps, Creasy promoted the psychochemical cause with eccentric and visionary zeal. He maintained that this type of warfare was not only feasible but tactically advantageous in certain situations. Consider, for example, the difficult task of dislodging enemy soldiers from a city inhabited by an otherwise friendly population—an industrial center perhaps, bustling with activity. Assume that the city housed numerous museums and cultural landmarks. Why blow to smithereens the best and worst alike with an old-fashioned artillery barrage? The prospect of obliterating the whole kit and caboodle seemed downright foolish to Creasy if you could get away with less.
Suppose instead you found a way to spike the city’s water supply or to release a hallucinogen in aerosol form. For twelve to twenty-four hours all the people in the vicinity would be hopelessly giddy, vertiginous, spaced-out. Those under the spell of madness gas would be incapable of raising a whimper of protest while American troops established themselves on what was once forbidden turf. Victory would be a foregone conclusion, as smooth and effortless as the French army in The King of Hearts strolling into a town inhabited solely by asylum inmates.
Yes, wouldn’t it be nice to take the teeth out of war and at the same time make its result so final? Just blow their minds, move in, and take over,- it was that simple—or so Creasy claimed. As soon as the citizenry recovered from their relatively brief stint in the ozone, everyone would return to a nine-to-five schedule. There’d be no fatalities and, except for a few borderline psychotics pushed over the edge by the drug, no sick or wounded needing medical care. Most important, the local economy would have suffered no significant setback.
Psychochemical weapons, Creasy argued, offered the most humane way of conducting the dirty business of warfare. He preached a new military gospel: war without death. An era of bloodless combat was just around the proverbial corner. There was only one problem. The sadly misinformed lay public and their elected officials harbored a knee-jerk aversion to chemical weapons.
In May 1959 Creasy took his case directly to the people by granting interviews to reporters and stumping for psychochemicals on a crosscountry lecture tour. “I do not contend that driving people crazy—even for a few hours—is a pleasant prospect,” he told This Week magazine. “But warfare is never pleasant. And to those who feel that any kind of chemical weapon is more horrible than conventional weapons, I put this question: Would you rather be temporarily deranged, blinded, or paralyzed by a chemical agent, or burned alive by a conventional fire bomb?”
Creasy testified a short time later to the House Committee on Science and Astronautics. He explained to the bewildered congressmen how a psychochemical “attacks the sensory, perception, and nerve centers of the body. . . discombobulating them. . . . Your hearing might be affected, your sight might be affected, your physical balance might be affected.” Moreover, these drugs worked so swiftly that people wouldn’t even know they’d been hit.
Representative James Fulton (R-Pa.) was disturbed by Creasy’s remarks. He wondered if some foreign power might already be subjecting people in the United States to such agents. “How can we determine it?” Fulton asked. “What is the test to see whether we are already being subjected to them? Are we under it now?. . . Are we the rabbits and the guinea pigs?. . . How are we to know?”
Simple, said Creasy. If LSD or a related drug was administered to members of Congress, “we could possibly have you dancing on the desks, or shouting Communist speeches.”
Fulton gasped. “Have you ever tried them on Congress?”
“I can assure you of one thing,” said Creasy. “The Chemical Corps of the Army has not found it necessary to do it up until now.”
Creasy’s five-star performance succeeded in winning the hearts, minds, and appropriations of Congress and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A sizable budget increase was awarded to the Chemical Corps for the express purpose of developing a nonlethal incapacitant that could subdue a foe without inflicting permanent injury. Apparently Creasy neglected to inform the congressmen of the death of Harold Blauer in 1953. Blauer, a tennis professional, was the subject of a drug study conducted by a group of doctors working under army contract at the New York State Psychiatric Institute. He died a few hours after receiving an injection of MDA (methyl di-amphetamine, known in latter-day street parlance as the “love drug”) supplied by Edgewood Arsenal, headquarters of the Army Chemical Corps. “We didn’t know if it was dog piss or what it was we were giving him,” an army researcher later admitted.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Methyl groups are bad news no matter where they pop up. Does it have methyl on it? Yeah, you're hosed. Doesn't even matter how you're hosed, you're just hosed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Representative James Fulton (R-Pa.) was disturbed by Creasy’s remarks. He wondered if some foreign power might already be subjecting people in the United States to such agents. “How can we determine it?” Fulton asked. “What is the test to see whether we are already being subjected to them? Are we under it now?. . . Are we the rabbits and the guinea pigs?. . . How are we to know?”
Simple, said Creasy. If LSD or a related drug was administered to members of Congress, “we could possibly have you dancing on the desks, or shouting Communist speeches.”
Fulton gasped. “Have you ever tried them on Congress?”
“I can assure you of one thing,” said Creasy. “The Chemical Corps of the Army has not found it necessary to do it up until now.”

I feel like this bit probably should have raised a few more red flags than it apparently did.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

catlord posted:

I feel like this bit probably should have raised a few more red flags than it apparently did.
Hey it'd make me want to vote to increase their budget. Got your signal LOUD AND CLEAR buddy.

The Frank Olson stuff is horrifying and hosed up too, but there just seems something so random and hosed up about some tennis player checking into a psychiatric hospital for post-divorce depression and just getting a death syringe.

Operation Midnight Climax and the dude running it are also well known by everyone ITT I'm sure and pretty unnerving but at least in a more creepy less insta-death way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Midnight_Climax

Acid Dreams posted:

While looking through some old OSS files, Gottlieb discovered that marijuana had been tested on unsuspecting subjects in an effort to develop a truth serum. These experiments had been organized by George Hunter White, a tough, old-fashioned narcotics officer who ran a training school for American spies during World War II. Perhaps White would be interested in testing drugs for the CIA. As a matter of protocol Gottlieb first approached Harry Anslinger, chief of the Federal Narcotics Bureau. Anslinger was favorably disposed and agreed to “lend” one of his top men to the CIA on a part-time basis.
Right from the start White had plenty of leeway in running his operations. He rented an apartment in New York’s Greenwich Village, and with funds supplied by the CIA he transformed it into a safehouse complete with two-way mirrors, surveillance equipment, and the like. Posing as an artist and a seaman, White lured people back to his pad and slipped them drugs. A clue as to how his subjects fared can be found in White’s personal diary, which contains passing references to surprise LSD experiments: “Gloria gets horrors. . . . Janet sky high. “The frequency of bad reactions prompted White to coin his own code word for the drug: “Stormy,” which was how he referred to LSD throughout his fourteen-year stint as a CIA operative.
In 1955 White was transferred to San Francisco, where two more safehouses were established. During this period he initiated Operation Midnight Climax, in which drug-addicted prostitutes were hired to pick up men from local bars and bring them back to a CIA-financed bordello. Unknowing customers were treated to drinks laced with LSD while White sat on a portable toilet behind two-way mirrors, sipping martinis and watching every stoned and kinky moment. As payment for their services the hookers received $100 a night, plus a guarantee from White that he’d intercede on their behalf should they be arrested while plying their trade. In addition to providing data about LSD, Midnight Climax enabled the CIA to learn about the sexual proclivities of those who passed through the safe-houses. White’s harem of prostitutes became the focal point of an extensive CIA study of how to exploit the art of lovemaking for espionage purposes.

Reading about stuff like this and Tuskegee and basically this whole wiki of horror https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States always makes me wonder what sort of crazy unbelievable poo poo might be knowingly willfully being done on the American populace that no one will find out about for like 80 years and if anyone told you you'd just think they were some nutcase

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

catlord posted:

Lindsay Graham balls-out on LSD would be hilarious. And you know like half of the most conservative dudes would have a gay orgy broadcast on CSPAN.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it also makes me wonder about the ups and downs of working with the CIA during the Cold War to further the research of chemical warfare and espionage. On one hand it's a Seth Rogen movie featuring Zac Efron...

quote:

Nearly everyone was fair game, and surprise acid trips became something of an occupational hazard among CIA operatives. Such tests were considered necessary because foreknowledge would prejudice the results of the experiment.
Indeed, things were getting a bit raucous down at headquarters. When Security officials discovered what was going on, they began to have serious doubts about the wisdom of the TSS game plan. Moral reservations were not paramount; it was more a sense that the MK-ULTRA staff had become unhinged by the hallucinogen. The Office of Security felt that the TSS should have exercised better judgment in dealing with such a powerful and dangerous chemical. The straw that broke the camel’s back came when a Security informant got wind of a plan by a few TSS jokers to put LSD in the punch served at the annual CIA Christmas office party. A Security memo dated December 15, 1954, noted that acid could “produce serious insanity for periods of 8 to 18 hours and possibly for longer.” The writer of this memo concluded indignantly and unequivocally that he did “not recommend testing in the Christmas punch bowls usually present at the Christmas office parties.”

but on the other it rapidly becomes an Oliver Stone movie and then you're dead :(

quote:

Such pranks claimed their first victim in November 1953, when a group of CIA and army technicians gathered for a three-day work retreat at a remote hunting lodge in the backwoods of Maryland. On the second day of the meeting Dr. Gottlieb spiked the after-dinner cocktails with LSD. As the drug began to take effect, Gottlieb told everyone that they had ingested a mind-altering chemical. By that time the group had become boisterous with laughter and unable to carry on a coherent conversation.
One man was not amused by the unexpected turn of events. Dr. Frank Olson, an army scientist who specialized in biological warfare research, had never taken LSD before, and he slid into a deep depression.
For the next few weeks Olson confided his deepest fears to Abramson. He claimed the CIA was putting something in his coffee to make him stay awake at night. He said people were plotting against him and he heard voices at odd hours commanding him to throw away his wallet—which he did, even though it contained several uncashed checks. Dr. Abramson concluded that Olson was mired in “a psychotic state. . . with delusions of persecution” that had been “crystallized by the LSD experience.” Arrangements were made to move him to Chestnut Lodge, a sanitorium in Rockville, Maryland, staffed by CIA-cleared psychiatrists. (Apparently other CIA personnel who suffered from psychiatric disorders were enrolled in this institution.) On his last evening in New York, Olson checked into a room at the Statler Hilton along with a CIA agent assigned to watch him. And then, in the wee hours of the morning, the troubled scientist plunged headlong through a closed window to his death ten floors below.
party foul

the government should really be tapping TCC as chemical weapons researchers and guinea pigs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SLOSifl posted:

Lindsay Graham balls-out on LSD would be hilarious. And you know like half of the most conservative dudes would have a gay orgy broadcast on CSPAN.

Poor lil dude should just go for it

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

quote:

He claimed the CIA was putting something in his coffee to make him stay awake at night.

That is pretty unnerving, I for one sleep like a baby after I drink coffee.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

yo rear end is grass posted:

That is pretty unnerving, I for one sleep like a baby after I drink coffee.
Me too. Curled up in a crib making GBS threads myself all night and then I cry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Coffee never kept me awake either. But I've been drinking it at night since I was a little kid. Always liked my evening coffees with my grandmas.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Coffee never kept me awake either. But I've been drinking it at night since I was a little kid. Always liked my evening coffees with my grandmas.
I'm sorry to inform you that your grandma was watching you sleep through a two-way mirror and recording her observations

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you grandmas weren’t the wine type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

lol if you grandmas weren’t the wine type

My grandma doesn't drink. She's 91 now and still in fairly good health, so she should just start trying every mind altering substance, imo.