Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Has there ever been a racist deep in his beliefs who has been argued to his senses?
A better question is: has anyone ever been convinced by an online post to any position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was convinced that people were garbage :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well that's where you're wrong, humans are amazing and beautiful; it's society and culture that are often garbage and make them so.

And of course SOCIAL MEDIA

wait maybe that belongs in the "poo poo that didn't happen" thread rather but ehhh

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

SocketWrench posted:

Wasn't saying it to take away any "honor" to black people. But insinuating only black people got poo poo on for civil rights is kinda ignorant.

Thank god for you good sir

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

For the US Mint and Treasury's 225th anniversary, they released a $100 gold coin with Lady Liberty depicted as a black woman.
The Qin dynasty was outlawing it in the 3rd century BCE, while the Russians retained slave labor into the 1700s at least.

Also the word slave comes from the Slavic people that Western European kept enslaving because they weren't Christian. I am descended from Poles so please find me a way to be offended by this person's comment, thank you

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Baka-nin posted:

Here's the article in question.

I was with 'em until the last couple of paragraphs.

There's absolutely a zero percent chance that Lois wouldn't loathe Donald Trump. Look how she responds to sexual harassment and small-scale economic injustices at her retail job throughout the series and tell me you think she'd consider Trump for even a second. Hal might be one of those "they're both equally bad" types, but Lois would beat that out of him by the end of the episode. The only person in that family who would vote for Trump is the exceptionally dimwitted Reese.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

africaresource.com posted:

It is important that Africans should remember and celebrate Caracalla and his family line, i.e. the Severan Dynasty, because as black Africans, they were us and we are them.

By the dint of their heritage, they were part of our legacy, and their attainments represented part of our unfolding tale of greatness, of towering historical achievements, of courage, regency and inimitable genius.

The descendants of the Goths who conquered Rome, and now control historical narratives, would want you to believe that they were the real Romans. Through centuries of selective narration and faking of historical artefacts, they have largely succeeded in hiding the central role of the Africans in the defunct Roman empire.

They hide the facts that the Goths and the Parthians (the ancestors of the present day Germans, Russians, British, Spanish, Italians, and Iranians…the Aryans!!!) were the mortal enemies of the dark Ibero-Maurisian Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Libyans, and Numidians, Mauritanians, and Saharans, the original owners of western Europe. They promote a fake and false notion that Rome was a so-called white created civilization affiliated with their Gothic ancestry. But this is a lie!

Wow, what a great source. Certainly not racist crank pseudo-history at all.
There is no evidence that Caracalla was "black", that is of sub-saharan origin. His father was of North-African descent (Punic or Berber), and his mother Syrian. So maybe not up to Nazi Aryan standards of whiteness, but he would not have stood out anywhere in southern Europe.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Ularg posted:

"NO GUYS IT'S NOT MY FAULT IT'S THEIR FAULT FOR BEING SUCH SLUTS" Is what I actually read from this post.

If you only have bad relationships, you're the problem.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Aramek posted:

Rob is an anti-vaxxer. Rob is extra loving stupid.

Coincidence?!

Probably. After all, you're not an anti-vaxxer

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FAROOQ posted:

Probably. After all, you're not an anti-vaxxer

normally i think you're an unfunny piece of poo poo but i actually laughed this time

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/JMfreespeech/status/821478106145976321

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FAROOQ posted:

If you only have bad relationships, you're the problem.

Yes, but mostly its because of my preference for the crazy ones.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"The descendants of the Goths who conquered Rome, and now control historical narratives, would want you to believe that they were the real Romans. Through centuries of selective narration and faking of historical artefacts, they have largely succeeded in hiding the central role of the Africans in the defunct Roman empire.

They hide the facts that the Goths and the Parthians (the ancestors of the present day Germans, Russians, British, Spanish, Italians, and Iranians…the Aryans!!!) were the mortal enemies of the dark Ibero-Maurisian Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Libyans, and Numidians, Mauritanians, and Saharans, the original owners of western Europe. They promote a fake and false notion that Rome was a so-called white created civilization affiliated with their Gothic ancestry. But this is a lie!"

Uh huh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Byzantine posted:

"The descendants of the Goths who conquered Rome, and now control historical narratives, would want you to believe that they were the real Romans. Through centuries of selective narration and faking of historical artefacts, they have largely succeeded in hiding the central role of the Africans in the defunct Roman empire.

They hide the facts that the Goths and the Parthians (the ancestors of the present day Germans, Russians, British, Spanish, Italians, and Iranians…the Aryans!!!) were the mortal enemies of the dark Ibero-Maurisian Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Libyans, and Numidians, Mauritanians, and Saharans, the original owners of western Europe. They promote a fake and false notion that Rome was a so-called white created civilization affiliated with their Gothic ancestry. But this is a lie!"

Uh huh.

Well of course you would say that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Did Manning's leak actually endanger anyone? I thought she just leaked data that revealed the military covering up war crimes.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

saw this add on facebook. I think I've been spending too much time in this thread

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Idiots on Social Media: the global western academic conspiracy

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Did Manning's leak actually endanger anyone? I thought she just leaked data that revealed the military covering up war crimes.

Nope, and Judith Miller is someone who sold whatever the government was selling re: WMDS in Iraq.

e:seriously read that twitter thread, people got some good burns on her

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I've noticed that people get really defensive about texting while driving or other blatantly dangerous and selfish behaviors. To the point where they start bringing up philosophical poo poo like "your morality isn't the only true one."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RobotDogPolice posted:

I've noticed that people get really defensive about texting while driving or other blatantly dangerous and selfish behaviors. To the point where they start bringing up philosophical poo poo like "your morality isn't the only true one."

Because they know it's a hosed up, lovely thing to do but admitting you're not an awesome person is nearly impossible for a lot of people. Any GBS topic about it winds up being hilarious because people get super, super angry and defensive about their drunk driving or whatever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Because they know it's a hosed up, lovely thing to do but admitting you're not an awesome person is nearly impossible for a lot of people. Any GBS topic about it winds up being hilarious because people get super, super angry and defensive about their drunk driving or whatever.

The worst are the people that admit to doing something super dangerous like that dozens and dozens of times by saying something like "well I'd driven home drunk from the bar twice a weekend for 20 years! Never hurt anyone" as if that makes it OK. It's like...bruh, all it takes is one time and you send somebody's child home to them in a box. Same with texting; yeah you can probably do it a hundred times but it's that one time that people care about.

That and it's already been proven (last I heard, anyway) that texting and driving has increased accidents. The roads are literally less safe now because people text and drive.

If it's that important that you must text somebody than pull the gently caress over, stop your drat car, and take care of it there.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

From what I know, it certainly had the potential to-civilians who worked with Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan were worried about being targeted for reprisals when their names were released. However, to my knowledge, there was never any action taken that could be tied to the leaks.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

Not too long ago someone here in PYF posted that they found a cell phone with pictures of a guy's meth lab so they turned it in to the police, so of course some TCC goons came in to say 'gently caress you, narc'.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

RobotDogPolice posted:

I was telling my friends about how a guy in a truck veered into our lane because he was on his phone texting (or maybe just looking at his phone, I'll never know), and sure enough one goes "yeah, if you're going to text and drive you have to know how to do it, like me."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

'She terrorises us': How entitled children are making their parents' lives hell (Sydney Morning Herald)

Anyone want to guess how long it takes for the article to mention participation trophies? It's about half way through.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Are you calling into question the historical accuracy of Rasta Livewire?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

neamp posted:

Wow, what a great source. Certainly not racist crank pseudo-history at all.
There is no evidence that Caracalla was "black", that is of sub-saharan origin. His father was of North-African descent (Punic or Berber), and his mother Syrian. So maybe not up to Nazi Aryan standards of whiteness, but he would not have stood out anywhere in southern Europe.

Whether or not Caracalla was black, the article weirdly lionizes a man who both at the time and now was and is considered one of the more tyrannical Roman Emperors and even mentions his massacres of the Goths but adds that Gibbons only objects to that because he's descended from Goths!? We're talking about a guy who would have been executed for saying his brother's name.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

RobotDogPolice posted:

Usually I get an earful of "You shouldn't be doing so much of X, Y or Z" they would say between sips of their 3rd cup of coffee within 30 minutes and about to go outside for a smoke. Yea I'm bad too but you're a drat hypocrite.

But yea I've gotten to the point where if I know my family are driving around town I will not text them unless absolutely necessary because whenever I'm in the car I've had to basically babysit their phone so they don't try to read it while driving.

"I've been driving for [however many years] I think I know what I'm capable of!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want a leak which endangered people, look no further than Vice President Cheney exposing Valerie Plame as an undercover CIA asset and "accidentally" revealing that the company she was working for was a CIA front.

Rogue 7 posted:

From what I know, it certainly had the potential to-civilians who worked with Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan were worried about being targeted for reprisals when their names were released. However, to my knowledge, there was never any action taken that could be tied to the leaks.

Yes, the "If people know we're committing atrocities, they might hate us more!" argument.

I mean, sure we could stop committing war crimes so it never becomes an issue, but ehhh.

Same argument used over the release of photos from Abu Ghraib.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Whether or not Caracalla was black, the article weirdly lionizes a man who both at the time and now was and is considered one of the more tyrannical Roman Emperors and even mentions his massacres of the Goths but adds that Gibbons only objects to that because he's descended from Goths!? We're talking about a guy who would have been executed for saying his brother's name.

Wait massacre the goths? He never did that. The goths don't become a thing for a couple more decades.

He massacred some Persians tho.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jan 18, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CharlestheHammer posted:

Good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

More like oldthermopylaeless

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I saw that too. loving bizarre, I guess they got stuck on "Support strongman" and whatnot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mikl posted:

I first read about the coin on Twitter, and saw an exchange that went more or less like this:

:freep: "This makes no sense, Lady Liberty is based on the Roman goddess Libertas and Romans were white!"
:) "Roman society was multi-ethnic, so despite what Hollywood Rome might have made you think a good part of the society was non-white."
:freep: "(posts busts of Roman Emperors) They were all white! Name one that wasn't white!"

I was so, so close to touching the poop and replying to that :argh:
Ask him what race he thinks Philip the Arab was.

edit:Bonus if you point out that he was among the first emperors to decriminalize Christianity.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait massacre the goths? He never did that. The goths don't become a thing for a couple more decades.

Maybe the article means Alamanni and is using Goths as a catch all for Germanic tribes? It's not the most egregious problem with that article.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Maybe the article means Alamanni and is using Goths as a catch all for Germanic tribes? It's not the most egregious problem with that article.

He was not that active on the military front, outside of his weird Persian thing and even that didn't involve the military but a really weird trick.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Baron Corbyn posted:

Same author:

quote:

The Gothics forebearers of the present day Spaniards, Portugese, French, Germans, English, Nowerges and Swedes, and Iranians were then aliens in Europe, as well as in Iran, having migrated from Turkmenistan to the shores of River Danube. The Parthian branch of the Gothes headed down to Iran. These peoples collectively call themselves the Aryan tribes and they were the same ones that the neo-Nazis, the facists and the white supremacists of today rally to arms.

He's a nutjob with an axe to grind.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As though anybody making one of those arguments could even name more than on Roman emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is he saying all germanic people look alike? Problematic!