Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
It's not the same as the Better Trait Triggers mod (:rip:), it just removes the annoying negative campaign traits like harsh, unjust, loves greenskins etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720644358

haven't had any issues with it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Carcer posted:

This is literally retarded.

Chaos Dwarfs :argh:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
It's been very interesting playing multiplayer in this, and watching how the flavor of the month builds have shaped the generally perceived 'way to play'. We started with spirit leach lord sniping, moved into demigriff spam, luminark stealth buff domination, people realized wizard's buff spells were great, vampire deathstar, potions added to heroes, potions removed from heroes, and now here we are after Wood Elves.

I feel like since the addition of Wood Elf many matches now have the one thing I really missed from Rome 2, a skirmish phase prior to the main engagement. Obviously this is most effective with actual Wood Elves due to their range and units with non winds of magic spells. Wood Elves kind of woke everyone up to this, and now people try to skirmish about even in battles without Wood Elves as a faction.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 18, 2017

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Hi, SkySteak!

To add to what madmac said, sacking and razing are good options when adding territory would overstretch your forces. Just keep slowly building up garrisons and taverns and economic buildings, burning down everywhere you can't defend.

Hey Zearoth, long time no chat!

Also thank you for the general advice. I restarted and decided to play it slow, glacially slow. Though, my game had turned into a nightmare.

My first 30 turns were basically fortifying The Silver Road and Black Cragg as I slowly grew in wealth and power. Getting Mt. Gunbad helped immensely while I slowly started sending excursions out to raze Greenskin territory. Slowly but surely I got another stack up as I worked to rob the Greenskins of any settlements I could. With a mixture of vassals and allies the Greenskins were reduced to the Southern Badlands with but a single Waaagh. By turn 90-110 I was sighing their capital which I think literally destroyed itself in infighting (It did take 16 turns). However a lot had gone on during all of this. The Empire managed to die, Chaos had destroyed everything and the prime power beyond myself is the Wood Elves. It's a horrible mess and I got to experience the 'joy' of the game giving my reinforcements against the main Chaos force, right behind their own lines. Still, I am up to my ankles in money and I am not going to let either the world be destroyed or an entire race of Kerillians (lumbarfoot!) rule the world.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is pretty dang good for all its faults.

I watched probably 40 hours of other people playing it before buying it myself. Even though I have seen a completed grand campaign for most factions it was still fun to play it personally. I feel like all the dlc was worth buying even the extra dwarf and goblin one after already playing a greenskin campaign. I just hope they can keep coming out with content fast enough to keep my attention.

Did GW not think the game would be any good? It seems like really bad timing to effectively end warhammer fantasy while having such a renewed interest from the game.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 18, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

this game is pretty dang good for all its faults.

I watched probably 40 hours of other people playing it before buying it myself. Even though I have seen a completed grand campaign for most factions it was still fun to play it personally. I feel like all the dlc was worth buying even the extra dwarf and goblin one after already playing a greenskin campaign. I just hope they can keep coming out with content fast enough to keep my attention.

Did GW not think the game would be any good? It seems like really bad timing to effectively end warhammer fantasy while having such a renewed interest from the game.

There's a couple of different ways to answer that question, depending on how dumb you think Games Workshop are. Empirically supportable answers vary from "really, really loving dumb" to "sort of understandable business strategy executed real bad."

The latter of the two: GW's longstanding Thing with video games is that they can't be too like the actual tabletop game, or else they might cannibalize sales. The Total War franchise does Warhammer Fantasy battles approximately infinitely better than Warhammer Fantasy Battles ever did, not least because there is a patch schedule for individual races faster than once every two or three years, and that's the best case scenario. People getting into Warhammer Fantasy from Total War would, in GW's estimation, be FAR outweighed by people who played Warhammer Fantasy saying "you know, Sigvald the Magnificent's mini costs twice as much as the entire Chaos army does in Warhammer: Total War. and I can get a game with a random stranger started and finished in less than ten minutes, in the comfort of my own room, without having to go to some local nerd dungeon and putting up with Team Doesn't Quite Grasp What Personal Space Or Social Cues Are."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
why did i just get a flood of like 10 amber the second that Chaos showed up, supposedly all from allied factions? Is everyone suddenly my budbud?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ze Pollack posted:

There's a couple of different ways to answer that question, depending on how dumb you think Games Workshop are. Empirically supportable answers vary from "really, really loving dumb" to "sort of understandable business strategy executed real bad."

The latter of the two: GW's longstanding Thing with video games is that they can't be too like the actual tabletop game, or else they might cannibalize sales. The Total War franchise does Warhammer Fantasy battles approximately infinitely better than Warhammer Fantasy Battles ever did, not least because there is a patch schedule for individual races faster than once every two or three years, and that's the best case scenario. People getting into Warhammer Fantasy from Total War would, in GW's estimation, be FAR outweighed by people who played Warhammer Fantasy saying "you know, Sigvald the Magnificent's mini costs twice as much as the entire Chaos army does in Warhammer: Total War. and I can get a game with a random stranger started and finished in less than ten minutes, in the comfort of my own room, without having to go to some local nerd dungeon and putting up with Team Doesn't Quite Grasp What Personal Space Or Social Cues Are."

When I went into the store to get the grombrindal code I could almost feel the desperation coming off the store owner in waves

I felt exactly bad enough for him to actually buy the magazine that had the code instead of asking for the free one.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

why did i just get a flood of like 10 amber the second that Chaos showed up, supposedly all from allied factions? Is everyone suddenly my budbud?

The End Times triggers "The Shield of Civilization" buff on Human, Dwarven and Elven factions. It gives them all huge Diplo bonuses with each other.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I kind of feel like elves should be excluded from that. It essentially makes it so that as long as you haven't lost by the time Chaos arrives, you get that flood of Amber to win without really needing to do anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ravenfood posted:

I kind of feel like elves should be excluded from that. It essentially makes it so that as long as you haven't lost by the time Chaos arrives, you get that flood of Amber to win without really needing to do anything.

"Elves! You're one of the strongest left and we need your help!"

"Sweet. Give us your amber and we'll save the world."

"Here, take it. ...So, uh."

"World's saved. For us."

Checks out.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
loving long bearded stunties still refused to ally with me JUST because I went to war with clan Angrund over 50 turns ago. Angrund was confederated into the main Dwarf faction but they just couldn't let it go.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Excelsiortothemax posted:

loving long bearded stunties still refused to ally with me JUST because I went to war with clan Angrund over 50 turns ago. Angrund was confederated into the main Dwarf faction but they just couldn't let it go.

It's like they have a grudge against you or something.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Zudgemud posted:

It's like they have a grudge against you or something.

Any now you know the "holds grudges" diplo trait is to be taken seriously.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Xae posted:

The End Times triggers "The Shield of Civilization" buff on Human, Dwarven and Elven factions. It gives them all huge Diplo bonuses with each other.

No I've noticed this as well and I can't track why you get an influx or amber /specifically/ on that turn and, if I recall right, it falls off the next. When Chaos kicks in Shield of Civilization beings working as a diplo buff but you don't get any new alliances or whatever automatically, you still need to negotiate them.

Martout posted:

It's not the same as the Better Trait Triggers mod (:rip:), it just removes the annoying negative campaign traits like harsh, unjust, loves greenskins etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720644358

haven't had any issues with it so far

thanks my dude, it's a decent stopgap at least. all the mods the BTT modder made are gone, I think he nuked his account or got banned

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KazigluBey posted:

No I've noticed this as well and I can't track why you get an influx or amber /specifically/ on that turn and, if I recall right, it falls off the next.

I think it's just a bug. I reloaded a save that turn and the amber flood went away.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Out of interest is the Blood DLC actually any good? I mean I know it's purely cosmetic but it's starting to feel a tad weird having big fights where everyone is completely gleaming.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

Out of interest is the Blood DLC actually any good? I mean I know it's purely cosmetic but it's starting to feel a tad weird having big fights where everyone is completely gleaming.

Its very Warhammer.

That is to say it is very gratuitous and even almost over the top.

In other words very good, i'll never grow bored of the sight of skeletons and zombies losing limbs and heads and keeping on fighting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SkySteak posted:

Ehhhhh, you get the opposite problem where by mid-battle everyone looks like they've been swimming in red paint. It feels a little over the top, but it also definitely fits with Warhammer?

Iunno.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I use the Less Blood And Gore mod with the DLC - it keeps the blood and dismemberment and the bits being knocked off skeletons and ghouls, but it stops models getting completely covered in red after being hit three times. They still look bloody, but you can see the actual textures underneath.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

Ehhhhh, you get the opposite problem where by mid-battle everyone looks like they've been swimming in red paint. It feels a little over the top, but it also definitely fits with Warhammer?

Iunno.

Yeah I'm lukewarm on the blood DLC. In vanilla everything is spotless and gleaming but with Blood DLC on everyone just gets drenched from head to toe. It looks kind of silly either way.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 18, 2017

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

I once casually read the Games Workshop demise thread here and I couldn't believe the concentrated level of Bad Decisions in regards to how they handle their property.

A good while back reading the GW demise thread here, I learned that they obliterated the setting in the worst loving way imaginable to do an incredibly obnoxious reboot that killed a lot of the nice things going on for Fantasy in comparison to 40k. So, suddenly, a big bunch of people who were really into the hobby and spent hundreds of dollars or pounds got monumentally shafted.

Now, there is this. A Total War game is probably the closest thing right now to a proper tabletop experience, with a single player campaign which plays a lot of from the fluff. In comparison, the price of admission is so much lower and the possible enjoyment so much greater that minis look stupid in comparison.

I understand that they are stuck in a bad situation when it comes to their current model, since licensing offers a lot of potential revenue but at the same time (in their perception) seems way worse than tabletop profits, but also because game devs are able to do better experiences with their stuff even if some games end up being poo poo. For every turd, though, there is a Dawn of War or now a Total Warhams to make them go "ehhhh".

With some luck, GW gets the White Wolf treatment and ends up in the hands of a decent publisher with reasonable capital - Paradox Interactive got White Wolf to make some quite good revisions for a oWoD relaunch that seems pretty good.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

I use the Less Blood And Gore mod with the DLC - it keeps the blood and dismemberment and the bits being knocked off skeletons and ghouls, but it stops models getting completely covered in red after being hit three times. They still look bloody, but you can see the actual textures underneath.

Do you know if that works on games in progress?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah I'm lukewarm on the blood DLC. In vanilla everything is spotless and gleaming but with Blood DLC on everyone just gets drenched from head to toe. It looks kind of silly either way.

The one really helpful thing that the blood DLC does is help you see at a glance if cavalry charges and artillery strikes are lethal with the little puffs of blood. Otherwise yeah, it's not a huge addition.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Think I'm going to start another Orc campaign. Can't track down the mod to reduce Black Orc/Big 'Un recruitment time... where was that?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I know 'Green Iz Best' does that alongside some other QOL changes for the greenskin campaign. Highly recommended!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Transmetropolitan posted:

I once casually read the Games Workshop demise thread here and I couldn't believe the concentrated level of Bad Decisions in regards to how they handle their property.

A good while back reading the GW demise thread here, I learned that they obliterated the setting in the worst loving way imaginable to do an incredibly obnoxious reboot that killed a lot of the nice things going on for Fantasy in comparison to 40k. So, suddenly, a big bunch of people who were really into the hobby and spent hundreds of dollars or pounds got monumentally shafted.

Now, there is this. A Total War game is probably the closest thing right now to a proper tabletop experience, with a single player campaign which plays a lot of from the fluff. In comparison, the price of admission is so much lower and the possible enjoyment so much greater that minis look stupid in comparison.

I understand that they are stuck in a bad situation when it comes to their current model, since licensing offers a lot of potential revenue but at the same time (in their perception) seems way worse than tabletop profits, but also because game devs are able to do better experiences with their stuff even if some games end up being poo poo. For every turd, though, there is a Dawn of War or now a Total Warhams to make them go "ehhhh".

With some luck, GW gets the White Wolf treatment and ends up in the hands of a decent publisher with reasonable capital - Paradox Interactive got White Wolf to make some quite good revisions for a oWoD relaunch that seems pretty good.

I guess this is more for the WoD thread but I'm not sure I'd consider the oWoD relaunch to be an example to emulate personally.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

Well, Paradox used to be the subcompany to the major RPG company in Sweden, a company who in its heyday tried to compete with GW and failed.
So White Wolf ended up in kinda good hands.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope, when Ogre Kingdoms hits, a bunch of Ogre Lords and Agents are all the weird mercenary ogre types like ninjas and wizards and ladies

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Eela6 posted:

I know 'Green Iz Best' does that alongside some other QOL changes for the greenskin campaign. Highly recommended!

Danke, went looking for it by those terms and kept just finding 0-turn-build-also-have-infinite-gold mods.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I hope, when Ogre Kingdoms hits, a bunch of Ogre Lords and Agents are all the weird mercenary ogre types like ninjas and wizards and ladies

Either the ogre combat hero or the assassin hero will be a maneater, the other will be a bruiser. One of the ogre LLs might be the eponymous Golgfag maneater, though I don't think they'll be generic lords.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SkySteak posted:

Do you know if that works on games in progress?

Yeah, it works just fine. Here's how it looks in action, for reference:

Still plenty bloody, as you can see, but not 'dipped in red paint' bloody.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Less Blood, Less Gore is a good mod for the Blood DLC imo. Units are no longer drenched entirely in blood, and instead have a more 'realistic' blood spatter on them.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
What's a fun set up for vampire counts in multi player? I saw fun cause I'm not try to min/max completely and if lose one and win one that will be fine. Is the zombie hoard with carts still a winner, and is it dependent on the red duke.

Also did the Bret faction in multi player have more options at one point, because it seems as if they stripped them prior to their full release.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Are there any mods to disable the Blood Events, but keep the blood itself? The Blood Events are way too drastic and powerful, like +20 flat charge bonus to everyone, or +20 starting winds of magic (not reserve) meaning that most battles are maxed out

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly I never noticed them having much of an effect outside of the winds of magic one, but even then I always have max winds by the time armies clash so it doesn't affect much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

What's a fun set up for vampire counts in multi player? I saw fun cause I'm not try to min/max completely and if lose one and win one that will be fine. Is the zombie hoard with carts still a winner, and is it dependent on the red duke.

Also did the Bret faction in multi player have more options at one point, because it seems as if they stripped them prior to their full release.

This is how brettonia has always been, they'll probably get more when the update for them finally goes out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't wait for Brettonia. Cavalry is sorely lacking as Empire, since they need two T3 buildings to unlock any cavalry worth a drat, which is basically late game.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

It depends a lot on the enemy faction. I haven't tried anything like a zombie horde in a while but I don't think mostly zombies and corpse carts would work. Wouldn't do enough damage but maybe with raise dead being able to spawn 7 zombies and multiple necromancers who knows.

Seems like wood elves are the most popular counterpick for VC right now and a lot of the time you can tell what type of build they're going for by what wood elf faction they pick. Durthu's faction usually means death star, Orion's usually means more of a skirmishing army. Here's some samples you can use for ideas if you want:

The third build is a slightly improvised version of the one Mukip made to fight the wood elf deathstar. You can ditch the tithe and try to squeeze in a second corpse cart. The skeleton warriors and spearmen with the carts safely behind hold the death star in place while you cycle charge the back with blood knights/verek's reavers.

Getting the air advantage over the wood elves is important if they bring hawk riders or a flying glade lord or they'll kill your general from above so you'll always want to bring at least a few air units. Bringing a vampiress on a hellstead with just spirit leech to try to help kill their lore of life caster when they have the red duke's special ability on them is usually a good idea. She's a decent fighter too.

The ghoul king and ghorst can work depending on the enemy faction but they got a bit weaker when they added deterioration for spawns and regular raise dead is so useful now since it can spawn 7 zombies/skeleton warriors. The red duke's ability puts him in a class of his own though. Mannfred and Vlad are good generals still if you don't want to use him.

If you want to get good reactions out of people try this build. They usually start the match by talking poo poo and then they get completely crushed if you use it right. Bring the red duke on a horse with raise dead, nehek and vanhel's danse macabre and all his abilities. If you don't expect them to have artillery, start the fight deployed in the middle of your zone and walk the coaches toward the enemy while you wait for the black coach cooldowns. Try to start the fight by going after their cavalry or their general if they send him out at you. Use the bottom buff on the black coaches, the melee attack/defense one and keep your coaches together for when it runs out. Then you overcast vanhel's danse macabre and the defense/leadership buff from the red duke, I forget the name. Use raise dead to create walls of zombies between the part of their army you're taking out first and the rest of their army. A lot of the time they'll try to focus on the mortis engine first. Just be slippery with it while the black coaches destroy them piece by piece. When their leadership is all assassinated the terror will break what's left. If you come up against a luminark with nets/light wizard just try to split them up until it's cast and then go after the luminark/light wizard.

I wouldn't recommend this against Bretonnian peasant spam, and I haven't bothered to try it against wood elves or dwarves but it can work against any other faction.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Having the Wood Elves devour the known, destroyed world while I have to constantly take Chaos to the face makes me feel like I'm getting the raw deal. It is particularly alarming that said Wood Elves are extremely powerful and are only growing. I am wondering, what weaknesses do Wood Elf units tend to have? They make me particularly afraid as I use Brimstone Gyrocopters as artillery and I feel that endless arrows and horrific flying beasts will trash them.

• Locked thread