Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

GodFish posted:

Flipflop's stance on being blasted flipflopped.

Redicu-prediction - the turtle's opinion on everything changes w/ the direction of its hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's not surprising Flipflop is scared of his new partner. Tools are the result of injured spirits looking for somewhere to hide while they heal, and so far several tool-spirits we've met were beaten by Spectrals and later employed by them. Kinda like Pokemon except taking the whole "beat up and capture creatures to fight for you" concept more seriously, although supposedly spirits can murder their Spectral hosts (like when Max was warned Scrapdragon could kill him) so I don't know how they manage to compel powerful spirits like the Storm God to obey.

I wonder if there are many cases of spirits partnering with Spectrals without possessing them or an object? Or if there are benefits to the possession that'd mean even a healthy spirit might want to possess an object or person if they're teaming up. Eightfold, for example, seemed happy enough with her arrangement, although she did have to slice herself in half to return to the book.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I personally find it interesting that Eightfold told Isabel not to hit her next spirit partner, and Flipflop is freaking out within 5 seconds of them meeting, begging not to be hit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

It's not surprising Flipflop is scared of his new partner. Tools are the result of injured spirits looking for somewhere to hide while they heal, and so far several tool-spirits we've met were beaten by Spectrals and later employed by them. Kinda like Pokemon except taking the whole "beat up and capture creatures to fight for you" concept more seriously, although supposedly spirits can murder their Spectral hosts (like when Max was warned Scrapdragon could kill him) so I don't know how they manage to compel powerful spirits like the Storm God to obey.

I wonder if there are many cases of spirits partnering with Spectrals without possessing them or an object? Or if there are benefits to the possession that'd mean even a healthy spirit might want to possess an object or person if they're teaming up. Eightfold, for example, seemed happy enough with her arrangement, although she did have to slice herself in half to return to the book.

Well, the Storm God is possessing Isaac, which presumably means it was beaten and still isn't powerful enough to leave, and therefor killing him would make things worse for it, not better. Also he's got his weird code and whatnot but that's tangential. Think back to Boss Leader in Max's head, when she caught the little wispy Scrapdragon. That's what the Storm God (or any other possessing spirit) would be like if they prematurely offed their hosts. Not a good place to be; possessing a tool or person is a last act of desperation, and they'd be right there again.

As for spirits partnering with spectrals, that's Zarei's whole thing. The Ghost Train being the biggest example; it wasn't in an object until it got its head crushed, it was just a free (but tame, prior to grudging out) spirit, and she has others under her control too. Also I guess the Doorman and such count, but they have an agenda.

Meanwhile, with Eightfold, she was kind of weak outside her book (that's why she could leave it so often), so her chances of survival alone probably weren't really that great. I don't think most spirits would willingly go for that; most of the benevolent-ish ones we've seen now have been partners for a while. I'm kind of curious how things like Lucifer's relationship with Spender started; I kind of doubt he willingly became a pair of sunglasses. Though, thinking back, one thing about tools is that they attract their owners to them, so, that's probably part of it too.

...Which makes me wonder if that'll matter with Flipflop and Isabel, since she was just given the umbrella rather than it "calling" to her or whatever. (Probably not, though.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 18, 2017

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Roland Jones posted:

...Which makes me wonder if that'll matter with Flipflop and Isabel, since she was just given the umbrella rather than it "calling" to her or whatever. (Probably not, though.)
I'm guessing Isabel's grandpa has intentionally given her weak and timid spirits so that she doesn't become physically or emotionally dependent on them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is the umbrella going to turn into something or was it already something and turned into a trash umbrella

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

it's gonna do that thing bad umbrellas do where it flips outward in a strong wind, only all the time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oddium posted:

is the umbrella going to turn into something or was it already something and turned into a trash umbrella

I'm assuming the former. It'll probably get trashier and/or turtlier.

snucks posted:

I'm guessing Isabel's grandpa has intentionally given her weak and timid spirits so that she doesn't become physically or emotionally dependent on them.

Yeah, we'll probably explore something more like this than whether or not Isabel being chosen or whatever is important. More interesting. Also probably a lot darker; what we've seen of Francisco and Isabel's relationship already isn't that great, and now we're getting this too.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Well, the Storm God is possessing Isaac, which presumably means it was beaten and still isn't powerful enough to leave, and therefor killing him would make things worse for it, not better. Also he's got his weird code and whatnot but that's tangential. Think back to Boss Leader in Max's head, when she caught the little wispy Scrapdragon. That's what the Storm God (or any other possessing spirit) would be like if they prematurely offed their hosts. Not a good place to be; possessing a tool or person is a last act of desperation, and they'd be right there again.

Storm God presumably wasn't put down by Isaac in the first place, since he doesn't seem like he'd have that mojo even if he was a spectral prior to possession. Storm God also seems to have an agenda regarding JUSTICE and poo poo that Isaac can presumably get on board with, so the spirit probably figures he's better off trying to get Isaac to work with him rather than immediately escaping the moment he's able. Scrapdragon is a completely different story. It's a grudge, like that bat spirit from way back at the start of the comic. Running on nothing but fear and survival instinct. It's lashing out because it's goddamn terrified. It would kill Max because it's scared of him and isn't in a good enough state to think rationally. That might change with time, if spirits can recover from grudgehood.

Which begs an interesting question. If pushed hard enough, would Flipflop become a grudge?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slime posted:

Storm God presumably wasn't put down by Isaac in the first place, since he doesn't seem like he'd have that mojo even if he was a spectral prior to possession. Storm God also seems to have an agenda regarding JUSTICE and poo poo that Isaac can presumably get on board with, so the spirit probably figures he's better off trying to get Isaac to work with him rather than immediately escaping the moment he's able. Scrapdragon is a completely different story. It's a grudge, like that bat spirit from way back at the start of the comic. Running on nothing but fear and survival instinct. It's lashing out because it's goddamn terrified. It would kill Max because it's scared of him and isn't in a good enough state to think rationally. That might change with time, if spirits can recover from grudgehood.

Oh yeah, all that's relevant too. I was more going into why no possessing spirit would want to kill their host, prematurely at least. Being a powerless wisp is not ideal, and is again why they had to go and possess someone/something in the first place. I just used the Storm God as an example since it was mentioned in the original post, and also he's one of the few examples of possessing spirits we know anything about.

quote:

Which begs an interesting question. If pushed hard enough, would Flipflop become a grudge?

Possibly? I don't think it's the right kind of fear there, at least right now, but there's probably that point for every spirit.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Oh hell yes boys and girls, it's time for ethics, I knew zach wouldn't let us down

The last panel of strong female protagonist covers ethics pretty well already :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Isn't the reason that they keep stuff from Isaac because of the storm spirit possessing him?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's because he did something that made dimitri leave the club, is my theory

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

:science: The blackouts on this comic aren't absolute, so you can tell what's under them if you do some photoshop trickery.

edit: Also the spirit languages are decipherable but I have no idea how to read them.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kazy posted:

:science: The blackouts on this comic aren't absolute, so you can tell what's under them if you do some photoshop trickery.

edit: Also the spirit languages are decipherable but I have no idea how to read them.
Spirit language is just bubble letters but sideways.

The pixeldog language is much more complicated.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm assuming Zack knew people were going to crack those black bars since honestly that's something Spender should actually tell Isaac. Sure they want to keep the secrets of their organization from the Storm God, but "I can't tell you anything yet because you're possessed by a potentially hostile spirit" is not really one of those secrets.

Of course we already know Spender is a pathological secret-keeper and just a bad teacher in general so it's hardly surprising he fucks up even basically managing Isaac's situation.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Kazy posted:

Oh hey, cool. Do we know if it's Spender doing that, or Lucifer?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Oh hey, cool. Do we know if it's Spender doing that, or Lucifer?

Well, if you want to keep the 4th wall intact, you can imagine that the censored bits are just loud screeches.

Kinda like

"Isaac, I know you're very frustrated, and I feel very

about that, but

to

with

"

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 19, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, if you want to keep the 4th wall intact

We most certainly do not

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Flipflop's power can be used super creatively and I am excited to see where this goes. But also, drat, rough implications on this page.

Yeah, it's a very good nen power/stand/shonen bullshit.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
If FlipFlop flips a projectile like a rock, spear, or arrow, does it keep going in the same direction? I mean, getting bonked with the blunt end of a spear is better than getting stabbed with the pointy end, but still...

If he flipped a missile/rocket though, it would get turned around, so he's got that going at least.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Flip the polarity of magnets and stuff, completely counter Max's/Scrapdragon's powers. Flipflop is the superior trash spirit here.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
*powers up*

*accidentally flips gravity, everyone rockets away into space*

:downsgun:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renaissance Robot posted:

*powers up*

"Do over! Do over!"

*flips gravity back to normal after everyone had already climbed like ten thousand feet in the air*

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Tupperwarez posted:

If FlipFlop flips a projectile like a rock, spear, or arrow, does it keep going in the same direction? I mean, getting bonked with the blunt end of a spear is better than getting stabbed with the pointy end, but still...

If he flipped a missile/rocket though, it would get turned around, so he's got that going at least.

Good point. It *should* keep going with a velocity in the original direction and (neglecting things like air friction, torque, etc. due to spinning something midair) in the case of a still-burning missile/rocket, an acceleration in the opposite direction. Easy solution: instead of flipping the bullet, he has to time it right and flip the gun :getin:

Or maybe he can flip the laws of physics on their head and swap the velocity vector too

Cat Mattress posted:

"Do over! Do over!"

*flips gravity back to normal after everyone had already climbed like ten thousand feet in the air*

:stonklol:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

*powers up*

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Huh, well I can't rule out that I just misread it the first time, but did all the instances of Beat get changed to Blast or was it always like that?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unhappy Meal posted:

Huh, well I can't rule out that I just misread it the first time, but did all the instances of Beat get changed to Blast or was it always like that?

It was always like that.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That forehead...

is his super power mind rays?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThaumPenguin posted:

That forehead...

is his super power mind rays?

His powers are... vast

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Terrible and great.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've finally done it, I've achieved bafflement

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've finally done it, I've achieved bafflement

Such is the might of Stardust.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Roland Jones posted:

Flip the polarity of magnets and stuff, completely counter Max's/Scrapdragon's powers. Flipflop is the superior trash spirit here.

Flip the chirality of everyone's dna and amino acids and watch the fuckups (slowly) happen

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another update. Isabel says what we're all thinking.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Another update. Isabel says what we're all thinking.

No... it's a wrist-saving abstract color background!

I guess that explains that. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh boy i cant wait to definitely care about those shadows in the first panel

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

A stage? He must be putting on a play. This development really flips the script.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When angry, FlipFlop is capable of literally flipping the bird (provided a bird is available nearby).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

This is amazing.