Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

I thought the code for that was "final fantasy" :confused:

I wish. That would have made the last 3-4 games in the franchise playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
final fantasy peaked at 3

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm not sure you really get the concept of "fandom"

The narrative is driven by external stuff that Blizzard brings out, this isn't some kind of authentic apocrypha driven by stories that actually fit organically with what happens or is revealed through the game.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The narrative is driven by external stuff that Blizzard brings out, this isn't some kind of authentic apocrypha driven by stories that actually fit organically with what happens or is revealed through the game.

the narrative blizzard puts out is bare bones and sporadic. they just canceled the big lore comic they had been planning that was supposed to actually flesh things out. the only thing people care about is drawing comics about the character making out

or drawing them in classical portraits

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aeryk posted:

final fantasy peaked at 3

no, 4 was the best

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the narrative blizzard puts out is bare bones and sporadic. they just canceled the big lore comic they had been planning that was supposed to actually flesh things out. the only thing people care about is drawing comics about the character making out

or drawing them in classical portraits

Look, I'm getting this all second hand because I don't care about Blizzard or MOBAs enough to dig forward, but when that Tracer butt pose thing blew up I watched a video by this graphic designer and a lot of his arguments about why the alteration made sense were driven by ideas about what the character is like, so I have to imagine that Blizzard did bring out very fleshed out characterization for their stupid narrative-absent MOBA.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
in my day we had doom guy and we liked it

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no, 4 was the best

which one was the one with the guy that never talked but everyone thought he was cool

also the one with the guy that dressed like a point break reject

cause those sucked

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
i hope you using the phrase "fleshed out" in relation to butts was unintentional

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
shadow

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
i always wanted strago to be a good character because his powers were cool, but he sucked

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

i hope you using the phrase "fleshed out" in relation to butts was unintentional

LOL it was.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Look, I'm getting this all second hand because I don't care about Blizzard or MOBAs enough to dig forward, but when that Tracer butt pose thing blew up I watched a video by this graphic designer and a lot of his arguments about why the alteration made sense were driven by ideas about what the character is like, so I have to imagine that Blizzard did bring out very fleshed out characterization for their stupid narrative-absent MOBA.

maybe you shouldn't form opinions based on second hand youtube rants. or at least not be surprised when they don't conform with reality

Gin and Juche posted:

which one was the one with the guy that never talked but everyone thought he was cool

also the one with the guy that dressed like a point break reject

cause those sucked

that sounds like something in the 7 to 10 period and i didn't play any of those cause 4 was the best

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
the ninja was shadow. i dunno who you're going for with the point break reject

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
although gogo also didn't talk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
All of these "people" die every game, it's stupid to give them anything beyond the most basic characterization. There's no narrative, no development, it's not even like in fighting games where rising in the ranks can parallel story development, it's just lather, rinse, repeat.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
dang you sound like rodatose

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a 4 hour class immediately after work 2 days a week that is literally just more work. i get done running and setting up machines and then go to class and continue running and setting up machines. gently caress.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All of these "people" die every game, it's stupid to give them anything beyond the most basic characterization. There's no narrative, no development, it's not even like in fighting games where rising in the ranks can parallel story development, it's just lather, rinse, repeat.

did you get this mad about team fortress 2 or was that not popular enough to demand you form some kind of snap opinion of it?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Volkerball posted:

i have a 4 hour class immediately after work 2 days a week that is literally just more work. i get done running and setting up machines and then go to class and continue running and setting up machines. gently caress.

what will you get in return?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

did you get this mad about team fortress 2 or was that not popular enough to demand you form some kind of snap opinion of it?

I'm not mad, I'm not mad, he says as he turns into a youtube commenter.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

welcome to the rest of your life fellow capitalist

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what will you get in return?

a degree that i can use as a doorstop

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chelb posted:

i found myself trawling wikipedia for 19th century paintings for some reason, so here's some stuff i'm not too familiar with but think is cool

Repin's awesome; Surikov is also pretty great. This is one of my favorites of his:

It's a noblewoman who's getting dragged away for being an Old Believer.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Volkerball posted:

a degree that i can use as a doorstop

cool, i've got one of those. i use it as a gigantic paper weight though to remind myself of the money i wasted on it

also, are the gaddafi supporters in the middle east threat trolls or do they actually believe what they post?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

cool, i've got one of those. i use it as a gigantic paper weight though to remind myself of the money i wasted on it

also, are the gaddafi supporters in the middle east threat trolls or do they actually believe what they post?

All the posters in the ME thread are genuine. It's harrowing, really. :smith:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's more a function of total opposition to anything and everything the us the does than it is a function of supporting fascism where it shows its face, but it is what it is.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/821563189489975296

how does it keep getting worse

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Berke Negri posted:

while (spoilers) the separatist conflict was manipulated by the sith for their own purposes, at its core it was a legitimate grievances taken to arm over core world anti-alien bigotry and droid self-determination

economic anxiety 🙄

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this photo was taken in 1978, right?

she's all about the spirit of '79

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There is always more and it is always worse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how are y'all posting repin and not including this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

Repin's awesome; Surikov is also pretty great. This is one of my favorites of his:

It's a noblewoman who's getting dragged away for being an Old Believer.

The Tretyakov Galley is pretty drat amazing (it has most the Russian art posted in this thread), but you have to actually go to Moscow to see it. The ticket price is something like $6-7.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Chelb posted:

i found myself trawling wikipedia for 19th century paintings for some reason, so here's some stuff i'm not too familiar with but think is cool

The Gulf Stream, Winslow Homer
:yayclod:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The Tretyakov Galley is pretty drat amazing (it has most the Russian art posted in this thread), but you have to actually go to Moscow to see it. The ticket price is something like $6-7.

Yeah, I've been, and it's definitely worth the price!

For those of you who haven't been there, what's really cool about the Ivan IV killing his son painting, is that the texture is really creepily realistic when you look at it IRL. The blood is particularly stomach-churning.:stare:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how are y'all posting repin and not including this

Oh my lord, I don't know how I forgot this one. So good.

They look like a fun bunch of antisemites.:haw:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Baroque period is the best period of art. gently caress every other period.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you can't identify at least 5 paintings by name then I feel you have failed society

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Baroque period is the best period of art. gently caress every other period.

:rolleyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hollismason posted:

If you can't identify at least 5 paintings by name then I feel you have failed society
drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Romanticism gets a pass

• Locked thread