Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"
Just repeat the asking price. They're being dicks for replying with that you don't owe them anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

quote:

Just send them this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq7pxUgjLz0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV35YfgtoC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLpeX4RRo28

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"

Raise the price by 10%.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Destroy the item you're selling and send them a picture. I almost did that tonight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Says the goon from Sydney

Toorak is so full of cunts even Potts Point cunts think its too full of cunts

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SquirrelGrip posted:

would ai be interested in a dodgy aussie guide on going to drift heaven aka this place?

from the responses looks like plenty of people have been to japan but not ebisu

Beginners motorcycle practice course "Hizasuri Land" Or literally knee rubbing land. :black101:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BraveUlysses posted:

I've just been telling them to make an offer and I'm not going to bid against myself on the sale. That or tell them to gently caress off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just raise the price $50 every time they ask.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BraveUlysses posted:

"Dachshunds"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SquirrelGrip posted:

would ai be interested in a dodgy aussie guide on going to drift heaven aka this place?

from the responses looks like plenty of people have been to japan but not ebisu

The answer is yes. Do the people you're going with know the place well? It genuinely looks like hoon heaven and the main course is lit at night apparently??

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

***just getting your attention...***

Y'all see this crazy oval office?

http://road.cc/content/news/215745-christoph-strasser-breaks-record-cycling-across-australia-%E2%80%93-3950km-less-seven

quote:

The previous record of seven days and eight hours was set by fellow Austrian Gerhard Gulewicz in 2007. Strasser managed to improve on that partly by sleeping for only 5h45m in total. He took his first break after 36 hours of riding and after that took just four more 45-minute rest stops.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I did! Guy is a loving nutcase to be riding in that heat and across the Nullabor in summer. Amazing poo poo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Everything about that ride is insane, distance, time to do it, conditions...

bend
Dec 31, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I did! Guy is a loving nutcase to be riding in that heat and across the Nullabor in summer. Amazing poo poo

Amazing is loving right, he's gotta be truly hosed after that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, you wonder how some people stay in business. Seen these piggyback ECUs that I thought might be an interesting option for stuff.

Sent an email with a couple of enquiries on what they can do etc and the reply was "It is not a D I Y product. Our official dealers have the hardware and software to install it and map the chip accordingly, on a rolling road."

FFS, you could at least try and seem interested in selling me something.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rhyno posted:

Well my bosses are worried about my mental state so I got put on a mental health leave today. Only time in my life I have a 4 day weekend and not want it.

Sorry man. You keep getting poo poo draws. Take a day or two to try and get yourself on the right path. I've dealt with mental health issues most of my life, and gently caress only knows how someone calling me on it would make it worse - but on the bright side, at least they noticed something. Go for a long walk/run/jog/whatever - I'm not a fitness guy, but gently caress anytime its that bad beating my body up seems to help.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Man, you wonder how some people stay in business. Seen these piggyback ECUs that I thought might be an interesting option for stuff.

Sent an email with a couple of enquiries on what they can do etc and the reply was "It is not a D I Y product. Our official dealers have the hardware and software to install it and map the chip accordingly, on a rolling road."

FFS, you could at least try and seem interested in selling me something.

"Official Dealers" means anyone who paid for the cert and usually don't have a shop of their own and just use random dynos they book time on. No joke a guy who goes around remapping 90's Nissans around London using Nistune is a school teacher who does it on weekends as a hobby... but also charges as much as most professional outfits.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd have no problem with that, really, if they get the results. My irritation is getting such a useless generic answer to my enquiry from what is meant to be the UK distributor.

Have replied to their email asking how come their American equivalents will happily sell this stuff, and is there a manual I can get to answer my technical queries.

Hopefully that should get across the veiled threat of "there are people who seem happy enough for my business if you're not interested"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The guy did blow up a few turbos... just a few...

I understand what you mean about attitude tho. One of the things that drove me away from owning imported Japanese cars in the future is lack of reputable people to do work on them beyond the basics. All the breakers are run by interesting characters to be polite and the people who make parts in the UK always seem to make cheap crap that is in a race to the bottom with Chinese crap so you end up having to buy stuff from the decent tuning companies in Japan anyway.

Won't stop me getting an R34 GTR in the future really but if you can lay out the cash for one of those you can afford to pay for decent servicing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Just been down a bumpy track and my suspension started making a hell of a racket, so I diverted to the nearest garage. Better safe than sorry. I'll get them to check it is nothing serious, then I'll drive home and get it fixed there.

Turned into the forecourt and there was a comical 'boing!' and the top of the coil fell off.

Just as well I did stop, really. Now how to kill the next 3 hours until they swap the springs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BraveUlysses posted:

add to the listed price every time they do so or otherwise act like dickheads before even seeing the item in person with cash in hand.

I ended up giving away something I had listed on all the local fb groups for sale in AISS, because the only people who seemed to be interested were broke rear end vapebro dipshits who wanted to chat with me on facebook about "how fuken sikk itd be on their grancherkee bro, man thatd be awesome!!!" and yet had no discernible mechanical skills nor any idea how much money or time is involved in doing that, and always managed to make themselves scarce as soon as I suggested they buy it and do exactly what they said with it.

gently caress that, it was worth right about my "I'd rather set this on fire than deal with this many twats" limit, so off it went to become someone else's problem/source of entertainment :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've worked out that, excluding a gearbox, I've spent more on coil springs than all the other repairs and maintenance combined. (Buy a car and I'll have to replace a spring within a year)

I'm seriously considering buying a range rover, just to avoid this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

I ended up giving away something I had listed on all the local fb groups for sale in AISS, because the only people who seemed to be interested were broke rear end vapebro dipshits who wanted to chat with me on facebook about "how fuken sikk itd be on their grancherkee bro, man thatd be awesome!!!" and yet had no discernible mechanical skills nor any idea how much money or time is involved in doing that, and always managed to make themselves scarce as soon as I suggested they buy it and do exactly what they said with it.

Was this the supercharger?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

spog posted:

I've worked out that, excluding a gearbox, I've spent more on coil springs than all the other repairs and maintenance combined. (Buy a car and I'll have to replace a spring within a year)

I'm seriously considering buying a range rover, just to avoid this.

lol you'll be replacing air springs instead

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

"how much will you offer?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

lol you'll be replacing air springs instead
Or pumps.

Though in reality, you'd probably just use one of the coil spring conversion kits, and be right back where you started...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sinestro posted:

This might actually be the one good thing that could potentially come out of a Trump presidency and the xenophobia that comes with it. It just depends on how completely that's been given up in favor of corporate plutocracy.

I think he may lean too much in favor of corporatocracy to hurt business in any way. Then again, he might be self-centered and xenophobic enough.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Our offshore work comes from South America and wow are they a LOT more on the ball/aware of american business culture than the indian and other far east contractor solutions we've used.

Interestingly enough, our Help Desk is out of Mexico. I think the Indian companies may be realizing that Americans now have a, let's say, distaste, for Indian accents when calling for service.

quote:

Bad news! Xenophobia has no effect on the plutocracy and they're going to quadruple this practice if allowed (they will be).

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

CommieGIR posted:

Its an overpriced PC that now solders its Hard Disk to the mainboard and requires dongles for even basic peripherals.

You could buy anything else, throw Red Hat or Ubuntu on it, and be 10x better off.

Well, for one, you're speaking solely about the laptop, and only the absolute newest one. They still make the 2015 model MacBook Pro - guess which one we're buying?
FWIW, I agree completely on the new MBP. I think Apple missed the part about "Pro" in the name. It would be a great MacBook Air replacement (it it used a removable SSD), but Pro implies that your users would be (and are, I think) willing to give up ultimate thin-ness for power, expandability, and maintainability. At the very least, the Pro should have had a socketed SSD, and they should have put 2 or 3 Thunderbolt 3/USB C port AND left us 1 USB A and 1 TB 2 port. It's beyond silly that you have to have an adapter to even use a damned thumb drive.
I'm not sure what to do about it other than not buy it, and maybe send an email that will be ignored.

Ubuntu and Red Hat don't run Office or Creative Cloud, and are therefore useless for what we need. Linux, despite the fervent hopes and dreams of the community, is nothing but a niche product for nerds, and will never be mainstream on the desktop. Mac is still king for creatives, and that's who I'm supporting. Interestingly, I'm getting a lot of the web development team asking for them, too.

Geoj posted:

To the point of replacing your hard drive means running the risk of breaking your monitor, as you earlier demonstrated ITT:

Well, yes, but out of 450 machines, I've only had to replace a dozen hard drives maybe in the last few years. And it's just the hard drives - everything else keeps trucking. The hardware is sound - it's the industrial design that makes HDD replacement annoying and stupid. I feel like they should have just gone straight to SSD with the "thin" iMacs, obviating most of the need to replace.

quote:

Honestly my biggest gripe with Apple is their insistence on only allowing their OS to run on their hardware. If I could (legally) load MacOS on a system I built most of my complaints with Apple would go away. But instead I'd have to buy an overpriced computer that (as demonstrated above) is a major pain in the rear end to replace or upgrade components, and aside from the aesthetically pleasing case is little different from PC offerings, since Apple switched to an x86 platform.

Well, I understand why they do it (to sell computers, duh.) Same reason they keep upgrading it and not supporting older hardware. Part of the reason that MacOS is as reliable as it is, is because of the known hardware. They don't have to deal with a lot of third-party crap. Would you pay $100 for the OS if you could put it on your own hardware? Would enough people? Apple did license the OS back in the PowerPC days, but it didn't take off, really. Might work better now with the Intel platform being more ubiquitous.
that said, I would actually run MacOS on non-Apple hardware. I'm definitely not in Apple's favored income bracket - I've been running old hardware cast off from work fro the last decade. I've had exactly 1 new Mac, and that was 1993 (LC III - $1000+.) If I didn't get old machines from work, I'd either be buying used hardware, or running a Hackintosh.

edit: as time goes on, I think computers in general are going to trend toward mostly-sealed boxes, much like phones and tablets. I hate the disposable tech society (it seems like my whole purpose in life is to fix poo poo), but the consumers want their thin, light fetish objects.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 18, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

Just been down a bumpy track and my suspension started making a hell of a racket, so I diverted to the nearest garage. Better safe than sorry. I'll get them to check it is nothing serious, then I'll drive home and get it fixed there.

Turned into the forecourt and there was a comical 'boing!' and the top of the coil fell off.

Just as well I did stop, really. Now how to kill the next 3 hours until they swap the springs.

My Cutlass did that once. Fortunately the spring stayed in (double a-arm with the shock through the middle, and I just continued on the 1 mile home, carefully. Literally that noise, too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Well, for one, you're speaking solely about the laptop, and only the absolute newest one. They still make the 2015 model MacBook Pro - guess which one we're buying?
FWIW, I agree completely on the new MBP. I think Apple missed the part about "Pro" in the name. It would be a great MacBook Air replacement (it it used a removable SSD), but Pro implies that your users would be (and are, I think) willing to give up ultimate thin-ness for power, expandability, and maintainability. At the very least, the Pro should have had a socketed SSD, and they should have put 2 or 3 Thunderbolt 3/USB C port AND left us 1 USB A and 1 TB 2 port. It's beyond silly that you have to have an adapter to even use a damned thumb drive.
I'm not sure what to do about it other than not buy it, and maybe send an email that will be ignored.

Ubuntu and Red Hat don't run Office or Creative Cloud, and are therefore useless for what we need. Linux, despite the fervent hopes and dreams of the community, is nothing but a niche product for nerds, and will never be mainstream on the desktop. Mac is still king for creatives, and that's who I'm supporting. Interestingly, I'm getting a lot of the web development team asking for them, too.

No, pretty much all their hardware have gone the way of "Seal it up and led the customer suffer when something fails".

Linux is not a niche product for nerds, and that's incredibly ironic considering Mac OS is just UNIX with a Darwin UI. Everything is going Linux, Windows is openly adopting Ubuntu embedded, and now has added SUSE to their coding. Nearly every major Cloud system is Linux, every major Datacenter is guaranteed to be 90% linux. That's not a niche product for nerds. Thats your backbone of your infrastructure.

Darchangel posted:

Mac is still king for creatives, and that's who I'm supporting. Interestingly, I'm getting a lot of the web development team asking for them, too.

I doubt that will be true for much longer. Apple barely makes up 7.5% of the market, and the new Macbook Pros are not going to really help sell that market share. Hell, Microsoft is rapidly stealing creative types with the Surface Pro 4, because it supports Creative Cloud/Adobe/Etc. but knows its target market better. Apple keeps banking that creatives will just buy Apple due to its creative legacy, but that's not going to hold and hasn't barely done anything but scratch them another 1.5% of the total Notebook/PC crowd.

Go spend the money on a Dell Precision, HP Elitebook, or literally any other machine. Hell, there are gaming laptops that cost less than a Macbook and have better hardware.

Anyways: I picked up a Flashforge Replicator Dual clone for $60.

Not bad for a $60 printer.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 18, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

My Cutlass did that once. Fortunately the spring stayed in (double a-arm with the shock through the middle, and I just continued on the 1 mile home, carefully. Literally that noise, too.

The broken spring came out of the cup on mine and the mechanic believed that even a 10 min drive home stood a good chance of the spring ending up shredding the tyre. I was 1.5 hrs from home when it happened.

Fair play to Kwikfit - I rocked up with no appointment during a busy time and they ordered the springs in, fitted them and did the alignment in exactly 3 hours, as promised.

It was a loving hilarious 'booing.. clank!' Sound.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

Ah, yes, because Microsoft is the epitome of quality and benevolence.
At least from a hardware standpoint, Macs are built like a brick house.

Really, I don't get the hate. They're powerful and easy to use consumer devices. As a nerdy friend in Network Ops said, they run UNIX and also run Office. The work with Active Directory. Anything you can't do from the GUI, you can come in sideways and do from the command line.
They even run Windows.
Apple is making some decisions I don't like regarding ports and the lack thereof, but the hardware itself is still solid.

(Every OS sucks).

"Solid", but I can replace the business-class Dell I beat up every day every two years for the cost of replacing a Mac every 5.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In which HPC and AvE cross over, at least a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_LToWAZoSo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I buy off lease laptops for the kids for $150 from dell all the time. I look for the ones the IT guys ordered for themselves or a jerk boss with stupid specs when all they run is outlook.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

I buy off lease laptops for the kids for $150 from dell all the time. I look for the ones the IT guys ordered for themselves or a jerk boss with stupid specs when all they run is outlook.
This is absolutely 100% the way to go. HP EliteBooks are the best, imo.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Where can you do that? I could use a beater laptop.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Just got my year-end statement from National. Their most rented car in 2016:

Nissan Altima

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

Where can you do that? I could use a beater laptop.
Right here, my friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Elitebooks are great, but HP is going nuts with locking their firmware updates behind a paywall if you are out of warranty

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

No, pretty much all their hardware have gone the way of "Seal it up and led the customer suffer when something fails".

Linux is not a niche product for nerds, and that's incredibly ironic considering Mac OS is just UNIX with a Darwin UI. Everything is going Linux, Windows is openly adopting Ubuntu embedded, and now has added SUSE to their coding. Nearly every major Cloud system is Linux, every major Datacenter is guaranteed to be 90% linux. That's not a niche product for nerds. Thats your backbone of your infrastructure.

I doubt that will be true for much longer. Apple barely makes up 7.5% of the market, and the new Macbook Pros are not going to really help sell that market share. Hell, Microsoft is rapidly stealing creative types with the Surface Pro 4, because it supports Creative Cloud/Adobe/Etc. but knows its target market better. Apple keeps banking that creatives will just buy Apple due to its creative legacy, but that's not going to hold and hasn't barely done anything but scratch them another 1.5% of the total Notebook/PC crowd.

Go spend the money on a Dell Precision, HP Elitebook, or literally any other machine. Hell, there are gaming laptops that cost less than a Macbook and have better hardware.

<describes a niche use for nerds, tells me that it's not a niche use for nerds>
I know what MacOS X is.
I think you're missing that I do desktop support for corporate machines. They give a poo poo about Linux. That's my niche, for now. They buy what they want. I do desktop support, manage the machines, and package the software and updates. That's split among a bunch of folks on the Windows side. I get paid more than them, so, I like my niche. It may dry up at any time. I can do Windows, too.

I agree that Apple needs to be less expensive, and maybe stop innovating for innovations sake. Their legacy buyers aren't going to last forever.

quote:

Anyways: I picked up a Flashforge Replicator Dual clone for $60.

Not bad for a $60 printer.

Nice.
I need one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

This is absolutely 100% the way to go. HP EliteBooks are the best, imo.

We use HP eliteBooks on the Windows side at work. Solid machines. They put up with our user's abuse pretty well. Not as well built as a MacBook, of course... :)

• Locked thread