Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

my guess is that smitty's fine but everyone else died, suddenly

we should be so lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm gonna make two wacky predictions, as is my right:

One: The Tic-tocs don't originate from Diego, or Kat with weird roboreligious time bending shenanigans somehow... they originate from Smitty after Kat fixes him up with cyborg parts and that interacts weirdly with his fate-influincing power.

Two: On the next page, Smitty is fine, and nobody remembers him being hurt. But Blue is nowhere to be found and nobody comments on that. She's taken his place! Why? A mystery for a later chapter.

This is fun.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i fell into a gunnerkrigg hole and this page seems like it might suddenly be relevant
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1475

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Coyote, the cause and solution to all of life's problems.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
antimony's dad is a surgeon. the gang can't risk submitting smitty to the court hospitals after an extremely illegal mission like this, so they're going to get mr. carver's help on the down low

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but you go in for surgery with him you might come out with no leg but good wifi reception.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

antimony's dad is a surgeon. the gang can't risk submitting smitty to the court hospitals after an extremely illegal mission like this, so they're going to get mr. carver's help on the down low

he's a surgeon with one hand. His non-dominant one.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

We'll never know because the next ten month's worth of pages will be a very slowly widening view of Annie watching the light diminish down the river. By the time we get back to the other story, we won't remember who this Smitty guy was.

No, but seriously I enjoy the artistry Tom employs in letting his 'camera' linger on an important scene. I feel that the narrative force is slightly undercut by the knowledge that another character is bleeding out ten feet away.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

We'll never know because the next ten month's worth of pages will be a very slowly widening view of Annie watching the light diminish down the river. By the time we get back to the other story, we won't remember who this Smitty guy was.

No, but seriously I enjoy the artistry Tom employs in letting his 'camera' linger on an important scene. I feel that the narrative force is slightly undercut by the knowledge that another character is bleeding out ten feet away.

Then again, there have been like 50 chapters of buildup to this moment for Jeanne. If the focus would have been on Smitty it also would have been awkward.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Here Lies Smitty
'It Was Awkward'
     RIP

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Two options;

1. Parley either teleports of superjumps Smitty to safety. Everybody else stands around wondering how the hell they'll all get back.

2. Annie turns around and Smitty's standing there unharmed with a kind of "Well, what can ya do?" look on his face, while everybody else is sobbing around a body a little ways off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

George looks into the ether by touching Annie's shoulder again to see Smitty, they exchange just a few witticisms before cracking and bitter tears are shed, detention for everyone.

Smitty goes to uberheaven only 1/100000000 humans get to enter, Smitty is perfectly fine with this situation.

Tom and Tea are still looking for that god drat cheeto.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If there'd been an off-screen 'bip' noise effect when we cut back to Annie from those two, none of the problems would apply. But I guess we'll see where Tom is taking it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're not getting that deposit back

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
RIP inflatable boat

cut too soon from its mooring

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Oooh whatcha say

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I hope Friday's page explains what happened to Jeanne and the elf dude, I'm very confused. Actually another week of pages might be necessary to clear it up.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Yes, please, I'm dying for more discussion of the comic's pacing (which is fine by the way).

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Edit: Darn, double-post.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mischalaniouse posted:

Yes, please, I'm dying for more discussion of the comic's pacing (which is fine by the way).

I know right, discussing a comic in the thread about the comic. Nerds!

But for real it's not so much about the pacing as the tonal dissonance here. The story has totally earned the right to stretch out this scene as long as it wants, because our heroes have been working towards this goal for years. The problem, again, is that it's undercut by us not being sure of the status of Smitty (or poor forgotten Robot, for that matter).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And then Coyote ate them all! Ha ha!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

BobTheJanitor posted:

But for real it's not so much about the pacing as the tonal dissonance here. The story has totally earned the right to stretch out this scene as long as it wants, because our heroes have been working towards this goal for years. The problem, again, is that it's undercut by us not being sure of the status of Smitty (or poor forgotten Robot, for that matter).

Whatever happened to Robot, it was worth it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah it's kinda like "awww this moment is so sweet and great," but in the background one friend was just slashed to shreds and the other was stabbed through the chest. It's as though Annie is in a trance, or at least isn't reflecting the readers' immediate priorities.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Annie in that last panel: clearly the face of someone who is totally happy with everything that just happened.

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
I wonder what the repercussions of what Annie's done here are going to be. I found today's strip oddly chilling considering both what's just happened and the possible outcomes.

Well that and the fact Smitty's probably lying dead in the background.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Smitty no!

Why couldn't it have been Box Bot instead...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I had a dream where the comic just ended after this chapter. Not a good dream, I guess, but funny.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

idonotlikepeas posted:

Annie in that last panel: clearly the face of someone who is totally happy with everything that just happened.

Yeah, that's pretty clearly a "I don't know what emotional response I should have right now" face.

Who knows what comes next.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think Annie's dissociating. That's completely understandable given everything that happened in the past three minutes or so.

Annie just saw her friend appear as a monster. She was approached by an elf zombie who gave her something that belonged to her and that might have been her mom's. She's probably aware that Smitty is hurt but probably not how badly he's hurt. She also knows that the two people she helped escape are having their memories and sense-of-self dissolved into the ether. This is all stuff that she wouldn't have trained for or gotten much guidance about.

That is all a lot to process in a short period of time.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Now Ysengrin can launch his amphibious assault on the Court.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah I don't understand why pacing isn't a legitimate nitpick here. When we talk about pacing we're not literally talking about how fast each update comes out but rather how different parts of the story are being framed at this junction.

Something has just felt off about the presentation about this part of the chapter. Part of it is indeed pacing but part of it is the lack of emoting on the part of Annie as well as the ghosts. This is ostensibly the emotional climax of the chapter if not the entire comic and everything about it has been incredibly flat ever since Elf Zombie emerged from the river.

It's just not what I would expect from the story I guess.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I think it's mostly because it's done to death. People go "it's not good pacing for a web serial" then other people go "it's written for print it works fine on rereading" and nobody is wrong - it is paced for print and works fine in print or when being reread but it's slow sometimes during scenes like this where there is tension without resolution for weeks. In print it would be tension without resolution for a few minutes at most and that is fine and in fact helps build tension.

So we avoid pacing discussion because we're just gonna come to that conclusion for the hundredth time.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Except Stone that chapter was just terrible

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Especially Stone that chapter was just terrific

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Stone did nothing wrong

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
After Smitty's been teleported to hospital they'll find out the wound has exposed a malignant tumour which Jeanne's sword has perfectly dissected. Lucky!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Except Stone that chapter was just terrible

i bet you disliked See Ya! too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Stone was a good chapter