Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Irish Need Imply posted:

The ESPN Browns writer says they'll get rid of RG3 and try to sign Tyrod Taylor. What.

If the Bills are going to cut Tyrod, then the Browns should definitely give Tyrod the world. I like the idea of RG3, but his injury last year raises so many questions about his health that I think he has o be relegated to being a backup for a few years. Like, RG3 should go sign with the Steelers or someone who has a QB who perpetually misses a few games to give himself an opportunity to build himself back up.

The Browns can easily front load a contract that gives them outs if Tyrod fizzles in ~2-3 years, then just draft themselves whatever monster DE turns out to be the best or try and trade down for another dozen picks or w/ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Amy Pole Her posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/profootb.../?client=safari

It's all I could fine. I have no clue what he's talking about
Yeah, that's what the Deadspin article covered. I have no clue where this whole "Joseph molested a little girl in high school" story is coming from that Volkerball keeps mentioning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The ESPN Browns writer says they'll get rid of RG3 and try to sign Tyrod Taylor. What.

RG3 costs $7.5m next year and Tyrod will also be expensive, and you don't want to pay both. His contract was pretty obviously structured to only pay out next year if he was good this year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

This is kinda cute. The playoff seedings if every one score game had gone in the opposite direction:

AFC:

Chargers 12-4

:smith:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

RG3 costs $7.5m next year and Tyrod will also be expensive, and you don't want to pay both. His contract was pretty obviously structured to only pay out next year if he was good this year.

On the other hand, who else is cleveland paying? They have $108M in cap space on the books for 2017 right now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

This is kinda cute. The playoff seedings if every one score game had gone in the opposite direction:

Rams 5-11

lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Their biggest win of the season was beating the Seahawks by 6 points.

God, it's so funny to remember they got shut out 28-0 to the 49ers in week one then just completely stymied the Seahawks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

On the other hand, who else is cleveland paying? They have $108M in cap space on the books for 2017 right now.

Jamie Collins, Tyrelle Pryor, perhaps Isaiah Crowell (on this list merely because I recognize his name so maybe he's good enough to pay?). I mean, they're not exactly bursting with people to sign but I don't know that that's a good enough reason to make RGIII one of the team's highest-paid players.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans have promoted Mike Vrabel to DC and Romeo to assistant head coach. I wonder if this is a sign BoB is about to move on

Could also just be a move to hang onto Vrabel since teams had been requesting to interview him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cross post: Schefter on ESPN980 today basically said when Kyle Shanahan gets the SF job he will make a big run at Kirk Cousins

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel like Washington will definitely franchise Cousins again but haven't looked at their cap situation so who knows

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YES!!

My dream is for Hue to get Tyrod, pick either Fournette or Cook, and proceed to run all over fools.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

Jamie Collins, Tyrelle Pryor, perhaps Isaiah Crowell (on this list merely because I recognize his name so maybe he's good enough to pay?). I mean, they're not exactly bursting with people to sign but I don't know that that's a good enough reason to make RGIII one of the team's highest-paid players.

They have to get to the cash floor somehow. They can sign all three of those guys and still have $95M left over to spend in 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

God, it's so funny to remember they got shut out 28-0 to the 49ers in week one then just completely stymied the Seahawks.

The Rams' offense played like garbage that day too. It's just that our offense was equally bad, and featured both Bradley Sowell and J'Marcus Webb on our line in the same day :shepface:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

seiferguy posted:

The Rams' offense played like garbage that day too. It's just that our offense was equally bad, and featured both Bradley Sowell and J'Marcus Webb on our line in the same day :shepface:

Plus Wilson could, you know, barely walk.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Chris James 2 posted:

Cross post: Schefter on ESPN980 today basically said when Kyle Shanahan gets the SF job he will make a big run at Kirk Cousins

Only until the Redskins franchise tag him again.

I can't wait for Kaepernick to end up on the Bears.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

I wouldn't be mad if he left so sure.

I don't know why Shannahan would take that job he already knows what its like to work for a lovely owner.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Doesn't the franchise tag escalate quickly if you keep re-tagging someone? Something like a 30% year-on-year increase on top of what's already a pretty large contract?

Ok, yeah, apparently Cousins was paid basically $20 million this year, and the tag requires you to get paid at least 120% of your previous year's salary. I don't think Washington's going to pay Cousins $24 million to play on the tag.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Also someone tell me whether Kyle Shanahan is any good at player development, because oh god that's what we need from a coach.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

rjmccall posted:

Doesn't the franchise tag escalate quickly if you keep re-tagging someone? Something like a 30% year-on-year increase on top of what's already a pretty large contract?

Ok, yeah, apparently Cousins was paid basically $20 million this year, and the tag requires you to get paid at least 120% of your previous year's salary. I don't think Washington's going to pay Cousins $24 million to play on the tag.

They will tag him and then work out a contract. They're not going to just let him walk when they've been looking for a QB for so long

They have $67m in cap space according to spotrac so they'll definitely keep him for at least one more season

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rjmccall posted:

They tag him because he doesn't want to run the risk of a career-destroying injury even for $24m, they don't actually want to pay $24m and he and they work out a long-term contract. But the tag gives the team additional leverage so they secure a better deal and they can always revoke it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

rjmccall posted:

I don't think Washington's going to pay Cousins $24 million to play on the tag.
If the alternative is letting him walk or giving him $75m guaranteed, the 1/24m deal might seem more palatable.

Of course it would only strength Cousins negotiation in the future so maybe they'll just have to bite the bullet and pay him what he wants.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Kalli posted:

They always do this once a year, their D Line is accidentally monstrous. It's just something that you have to accept.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Go The Steelers, failing that Go The Packers, failing that Go The Falcons, failing that Go The End of The World.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They always do this once a year, their D Line is accidentally monstrous. It's just something that you have to accept.

Yeah but they don't really do that to anyone but the Seahawks. It's that delicious combo of Aaron Donald and company feasting on tissue paper

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Tom Cable is becoming famous for not knowing how to coach players into NFL level OL, but let's not forget about the Chiefs OL coach...he is also terrible, and his name is Andy Heck

Andy Heck is most famous for being the LT that gave up 7 sacks in a game to Derrick Thomas

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Matt Ryan named MVP and offensive player of the year by the pro football writers of America.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

They will tag him and then work out a contract. They're not going to just let him walk when they've been looking for a QB for so long

They have $67m in cap space according to spotrac so they'll definitely keep him for at least one more season

Yeah they'll do whatever they can to keep him, and that probably means a tag and sign to prevent him from hitting free agency. It'll cost them much more if they have to bid against the league's QB-starved teams.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Diva Cupcake posted:

If the alternative is letting him walk or giving him $75m guaranteed, the 1/24m deal might seem more palatable.

Of course it would only strength Cousins negotiation in the future so maybe they'll just have to bite the bullet and pay him what he wants.

This makes sense.

I'm not eager for a new quarterback anyway — actually, I'm worried that Shanahan is focused on QB, i.e. splashy poo poo to appease the child-in-charge, when it's really a whole-roster issue. We don't need to emulate Indy here, and Cousins ain't Luck anyway.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Kalli posted:

The Niners led the NFCW for the first two weeks of the season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MrLogan posted:

The Niners led the NFCW for the first two weeks of the season.

The Niners made it to the playoffs with a similar team but different coach.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

dont hate the playa posted:

Matt Ryan named MVP and offensive player of the year by the pro football writers of America.

:smug:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Holy poo poo, the Browns.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/821764094596263937

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami in that healthy "8-8" part of the carryover curve

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

iospace posted:

wait what

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spoeank posted:

wait what

Presumably he means similar because both teams were comprised of men between the ages of 18 and 45, wearing red and gold.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

iospace posted:

Swing and a miss

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

Similar aside from the fact that most of their best players retired or moved on and their QB turned into a pumpkin

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The browns have half a team to find. Every free agent goes to the Browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
N: Davante not going to attempt to practice until Saturday because of his sprained ankle, according to McCarthy
V: If the Packers play without their #1 (Nelson) and #2 (Adams) receivers they will be fuuuucked.

• Locked thread