Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trustworthy posted:

So I'm taking some brochures out to Colonia, should I do something so GalCop gets credit for it? Is joining the Frogs via the other thread the way to do that? I didn't give a poo poo about the Dangerous Games and I'm incredibly confused about how player faction affiliation works in-game for CGs like this one.

You really want to get on our Discords. We're not really supporting anyone (Ed Lewis has been quoted a picture of a frog if he wants some froggy help) but sign up for Ed's 38 on the FDev site - they're the only one of the next wave of groups that are likely to make it that we have even vague connections to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mu77ley posted:

So, I went to check it out.

First I found a listening post orbiting the planet:

This gave the following message containing coordinates:

Found some wreckage on the edge of a very large canyon:

The crashed ship had a scannable data core:

Which when scanned revealed the ship's manifest:

/me waves fist in the general direction of Cambridge...

See this would be cool and fun if things like this were actually dynamically placed and you had a chance to get some sweet rare cargo worth a ton if you sell it to whomever originally wanted the shipment.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

See this would be cool and fun if things like this were actually dynamically placed and you had a chance to get some sweet rare cargo worth a ton if you sell it to whomever originally wanted the shipment.

There already are dynamically placed ones exactly as you describe. You usually find out about them as Tip-Off missions you receive whilst in flight from a local faction you have good relations with.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

"Don't bother, it won't even work"

"Ok it worked but it's still dumb because it's just a cute one-off easter egg and not an actual game mechanic"

Honest question, do you consider yourself to be a happy person in general?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Efexeye posted:

eh, pulping your soulmate is the price you pay for becoming a prophet and founding a religion

Not even kidding, I would read an Elite Dangerous novel written by Alastair Reynolds.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

timn posted:

"Don't bother, it won't even work"

"Ok it worked but it's still dumb because it's just a cute one-off easter egg and not an actual game mechanic"

Honest question, do you consider yourself to be a happy person in general?

hm yes let me psychoanalyze someone I've never met that doesn't like this part of a space game, that'll prove how right I am

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
guys i can't stop posting about this game i hate!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I pitched a fit about no man's sky for days but to its credit it convinced me I needed to come back and get the cutter I always said I would get.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:same:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Unironically, this works in almost every SA games forum thread.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
is some of the engineer grind gone now?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SquirrelGrip posted:

The only difference is that you don't need commodities to make the rank 2-5 recipes. All of the unlocking tasks are still the same. Marco Qwent still needs his 25 modular terminals, etc. So ranking up is easier but getting the invites are still a grind.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Krycek posted:

The only difference is that you don't need commodities to make the rank 2-5 recipes. All of the unlocking tasks are still the same. Marco Qwent still needs his 25 modular terminals, etc. So ranking up is easier but getting the invites are still a grind.

Which is going to be hilarious fun when I start mining for 50 units of Bromellite to unlock Bill Turner.

At least when I get back to the bubble anyway. Mining :argh:

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

SquirrelGrip posted:

Most of it is aside from the actual unlocking of them and bits for the max level upgrades.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Krycek posted:

I have a bunch unlocked and that's when I gave up, so this is good

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

we got :nallears: on the discord now man

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Literally Kermit posted:

we got :nallears: on the discord now man

Frogmander of my heart! :swoon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GEE I HOPE I CAN MASTURBATE TO THESE SPACE ALIENS

this, but unironically

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

I never did any of the engineer stuff till now and I've gotten tod, farseer and a few others to 4 really easily. Fiving them is going to take a while though.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Truga posted:

this, but unironically

Same. Love me some elf norks.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Mu77ley posted:

Which when scanned revealed the ship's manifest:

/me waves fist in the general direction of Cambridge...

Baker Gamma Sierra? BGS?

Books about background simulation...

I get that they're referencing the BGS, but... I don't get what they're saying. The only person who knew anything about the BGS crash landed on a moon and is dead?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dirty posted:

Baker Gamma Sierra? BGS?

Books about background simulation...

I get that they're referencing the BGS, but... I don't get what they're saying. The only person who knew anything about the BGS crash landed on a moon and is dead?

I took it to mean the BGS itself had crashed and was pointless.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bargearse posted:

Not even kidding, I would read an Elite Dangerous novel written by Alastair Reynolds.

Sure, as long as it's more Revelation Space and less Revenger

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Goddamn, I decided to browse the passenger missions, and there was a 10 mil mission to take a few people 130 LY. Time to buy an Orca I guess.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why am I reinstalling this game?

Perhaps it was the space elf titties.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Bargearse posted:

It's not Alastair Reynolds, but this is actually very good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/El...ite+reclamation

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Okay, I've been tinkering around for an hour and I've come to the conclusion that gently caress YOU AND YOUR EXPEDITIONS TAB, EDDISCOVERY

The system has co-ordinates. I have the co-ordinates. You have the co-ordinates. When I told you the co-ordinates, you insisted you had the co-ordinates already. When I try Trilaterization, your spit the correct co-ordinates back in my face. EDSM has these co-ordinates and is happy to share them. Marco Qwent is currently jerking off in a hot tub filled with 50 units of these co-ordinates. In Frontier fan-fiction, big-tittied cannibal elves are lactating these co-ordinates into each other's buttholes while you watch and take detailed notes.

I just want to journal my wondrous voyage of discovery, EDDiscovery, why do you insist on being such an inept, unintuitive, and poorly documented pain in the rear end?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, with bookmarks you don't need to use trilaterization anymore. Just put a bookmark on your target star system and you can orient yourself on it, no fuckery with coordinates needed.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, with bookmarks you don't need to use trilaterization anymore. Just put a bookmark on your target star system and you can orient yourself on it, no fuckery with coordinates needed.

System coordinates are also written to the player journal files by the game when you jump into a system now anyway.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Libluini posted:

Right now I just want to write travel notes on systems in the Expeditions tab via bookmarks. My little workflow had been working well for a few thousand LYs, but now I've reached a cluster of systems where EDDiscovery is choking on this "co-ordinates" bullshit. When I put a bookmark on one of these systems, the bookmark apparently isn't being assigned coordinates, meaning it kills the "distance from previous waypoint" column in the Expeditions tab, and gives that error dialogue I posted above whenever I try to open the bookmark tab (which means I can't add notes).

Trying to suss out the problem is giving me premature space madness. :suicide:

edit: Whoa, if I right click on the system in the 3D Map, it actually opens the Bookmark dialog box and I can enter a note! And the bookmark does actually contain the correct coordinates! Unfortunately, these system coordinates are still somehow hosed up on the Expeditions tab, so in addition to not being able to open the bookmarks dialog box from that tab, if I include even one of these messed up systems in any expedition list, nothing past that point will display distances correctly in that column of the Expeditions tab.

Also, these systems are shown in orange text instead of white on the Expeditions tab, but without the little exclamation point error that occurs if you just type in some random text that's not an actual system. It's like the rest of the program is doing/parsing everything right, but the Expeditions tab is making GBS threads its pants when encountering certain random rear end systems. WTH

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 18, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mu77ley posted:

There already are dynamically placed ones exactly as you describe. You usually find out about them as Tip-Off missions you receive whilst in flight from a local faction you have good relations with.

These must be rare as hell or specific to a mission type I never do, the only mission updates I ever get are backstabbing the original mission givers by just doing the opposite of whatever the original mission wanted you to do or going to a USS to pick up cargo worth nothing.

Why not have "emergency" missions as valid alternatives to any mission type (since you can choose to do them)? I hate hauling but I'll stop my assassination mission to go find a crashed ship with a mill or more in cargo, or to pick up stranded survivors on a planet (which I am aware of but have also never seen).

Which mission type do those spawn from? Or do they all generally only happen if you're allied (I move around a lot)?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Right now I just want to write travel notes on systems in the Expeditions tab via bookmarks. My little workflow had been working well for a few thousand LYs, but now I've reached a cluster of systems where EDDiscovery is choking on this "co-ordinates" bullshit. When I put a bookmark on one of these systems, the bookmark apparently isn't being assigned coordinates, meaning it kills the "distance from previous waypoint" column in the Expeditions tab, and gives that error dialogue I posted above whenever I try to open the bookmark tab (which means I can't add notes).

edit: Whoa, if I right click on the system in the 3D Map, it actually opens the Bookmark dialog box and I can enter a note! And the bookmark does actually contain the correct coordinates! Unfortunately, these system coordinates are still somehow hosed up on the Expeditions tab, so in addition to not being able to open the bookmarks dialog box from that tab, if I include even one of these messed up systems in any expedition list, nothing past that point will display distances correctly in that column of the Expeditions tab.

Also, these systems are shown in orange text instead of white on the Expeditions tab, but without the little exclamation point error that occurs if you just type in some random text that's not an actual system. It's like the rest of the program is doing/parsing everything right, but the Expeditions tab is making GBS threads its pants when encountering certain random rear end systems. WTH

Woah, interesting that EDDiscovery has all those functions, but that's far too complicated for me. I just make a screenshot from an interesting system and if I feel like it, write a short note in Word.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

These must be rare as hell or specific to a mission type I never do, the only mission updates I ever get are backstabbing the original mission givers by just doing the opposite of whatever the original mission wanted you to do or going to a USS to pick up cargo worth nothing.

Why not have "emergency" missions as valid alternatives to any mission type (since you can choose to do them)? I hate hauling but I'll stop my assassination mission to go find a crashed ship with a mill or more in cargo, or to pick up stranded survivors on a planet (which I am aware of but have also never seen).

Which mission type do those spawn from? Or do they all generally only happen if you're allied (I move around a lot)?

The more missions you do for a faction, the higher the chance of getting one. I think I've had about 5-6 since 2.2 dropped.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Trustworthy posted:

If you look in your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous folder, there will be a ton of Journal files (one for each game session). If you filter out all FSDJump events you'll be able to get the exact coordinates of every system you jumped to during that session.

For example (formatted to make them easier to read):

code:
{
	"timestamp": "2017-01-17T14:09:57Z",
	"event": "FSDJump",
	"StarSystem": "Wolf 359",
	"StarPos": [3.875, 6.469, -1.906],
	"SystemAllegiance": "Independent",
	"SystemEconomy": "$economy_Industrial;",
	"SystemEconomy_Localised": "Industrial",
	"SystemGovernment": "$government_Cooperative;",
	"SystemGovernment_Localised": "Cooperative",
	"SystemSecurity": "$SYSTEM_SECURITY_medium;",
	"SystemSecurity_Localised": "Medium Security",
	"JumpDist": 8.547,
	"FuelUsed": 0.437033,
	"FuelLevel": 15.562966,
	"SystemFaction": "Hutton Orbital Truckers Co-Operative",
	"FactionState": "Boom"
}
{
	"timestamp": "2017-01-17T14:16:31Z",
	"StarSystem": "Procyon",
	"StarPos": [6.219, 2.656, -9.188],
	"SystemEconomy": "$economy_Agri;",
	"SystemEconomy_Localised": "Agriculture",
	"SystemGovernment": "$government_Corporate;",
	"SystemGovernment_Localised": "Corporate",
	"SystemSecurity": "$SYSTEM_SECURITY_medium;",
	"SystemSecurity_Localised": "Medium Security",
	"JumpDist": 8.547,
	"FuelUsed": 0.450867,
	"FuelLevel": 15.549133,
	"SystemFaction": "Sirius Corporation",
	"FactionState": "Expansion"
}
{
	"timestamp": "2017-01-17T14:31:37Z",
	"StarSystem": "Groombridge 1618",
	"StarPos": [-2.344, 12.625, -9.344],
	"SystemEconomy": "$economy_Agri;",
	"SystemEconomy_Localised": "Agriculture",
	"SystemGovernment": "$government_Dictatorship;",
	"SystemGovernment_Localised": "Dictatorship",
	"SystemSecurity": "$SYSTEM_SECURITY_high;",
	"SystemSecurity_Localised": "High Security",
	"JumpDist": 13.142,
	"FuelUsed": 1.328586,
	"FuelLevel": 14.671414,
	"SystemFaction": "Nationalists of Groombridge 1618",
	"FactionState": "Boom"
}

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Visited VY Canis Majoris recently. Obligatory comparison to the Sun:

(spoiler: hypergiants are p big!)

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Lima posted:

Visiting all of those Super/Hyper Giants in the star comparison youtube is likely my next space madness target.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mu77ley posted:

If you look in your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous folder, there will be a ton of Journal files (one for each game session). If you filter out all FSDJump events you'll be able to get the exact coordinates of every system you jumped to during that session.

For example (formatted to make them easier to read):
:words:

Thanks, that's really handy and I'll file that bit of knowledge away. :)

However, the problem I'm currently having with EDDiscovery isn't that I don't have the coordinates, it's that--while accessing a bookmark in the Expedition tab only--EDD is brain-sharting itself and pretending it doesn't have the coordinates for a small handful of systems. The data is actually in there; I can see the coordinates when I look at these systems through a different tab, or when I open the EDD 3D map and right click one of the affected systems to view its Bookmark. It's just the Expedition tab of EDD that somehow seems to be not recognizing the information. It's a small glitch, but immensely frustrating since documenting long distance expeditions is the only reason I'm bothering with EDD in the first place.

If anyone has a free minute and EDD handy, could you try adding Bleae Thua OS-K c8-1 (one of my hosed up systems) to the Routes/Expeditions tab, then bookmarking it? Then see if it lets you right click Edit Bookmark? That's where's EDD's glitching out for me. Does it let you open the bookmark properly through right clicking in the Expeditions tab? Is the system name text orange or white when you load it into the Routes/Expeditions tab? What is even happening? Does Jacques have a soul? Deep down, am I a Thargoid boob man or a Thargoid rear end man?

edit: For comparison, the nearby Bleae Thua LR-W d1-52 is working correctly for me. Both systems are recognized/cataloged in my logs and by EDSM; I can't for the life of me figure out why EDDiscovery's Expeditions tab would be fine with one and choke on the other.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 18, 2017

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lima posted:

I've also recently visited VY Canis Majoris and it is, indeed, laughably huge (I'm 6000Ls from it in the picture):

To put it in perspective, when you warp in on it the sun doesn't appear to 'swoop in' towards you like a normal star, it's just sitting there filling most of the screen.

Also in case you guys aren't already aware some dude has written a completely awesome exploration travel calculator that will route you through neutron stars for when you're trying to get somewhere in a hurry: http://www.spansh.co.uk

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Okay, I am really starting to get tired of dying because my thrusters get taken out when I'm at 30-40% health, and then just sitting there helplessly as enemies I could have easily killed or evaded slowly pick me to death. Is there any way to stop this? I have died to this 4 times in a row, and it is really starting to frustrate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Gothsheep posted:

Okay, I am really starting to get tired of dying because my thrusters get taken out when I'm at 30-40% health, and then just sitting there helplessly as enemies I could have easily killed or evaded slowly pick me to death. Is there any way to stop this? I have died to this 4 times in a row, and it is really starting to frustrate me.

A few ideas:

1. Try not to let your shields go down (bug out until they recover if necessary)
2. Use Reboot/Repair? That should get them online again.
3: Some ships can now add Module Reinforcement Packs to protect certain modules

• Locked thread