Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Yah even though a lot of stuff about this game sucks rear end, I wasn't expecting it to be actively dying or anything. Just doesn't seem worth getting back into, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man if you're free of the MOBA AIDS run for the loving hills and don't look back. It's not worth it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah I'm pretty certain whatever game eventually dethrones League as the big #1 online game isn't gonna be a MOBA

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
When World of Warcraft started to decline at the end of Wrath of the Lich King, that's about the time when League of Legends started to take off. So basically we've got to wait for Ghostcrawler to jump ship back to Blizzard to become head of Overwatch before League is dead and gone.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i like the game "L:eague of legen"d

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Orv posted:

Aren't they developing two or three other games themselves?

theoretically, but they're not really doing a good job of actually getting things to market. they have a bunch of unannounced stuff that got canceled like supremacy, tbh i wouldn't be surprised if that fighting game gets canned too.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Orv posted:

Man if you're free of the MOBA AIDS run for the loving hills and don't look back. It's not worth it.

I disagree pretty strongly here. I've met lots of wonderful folks playing this game and have had lots of fun. Cool game, goon community not nearly as virulent as HoN or DotA. Can't vouch for HotS or Smite, but yeah, good people

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Servaetes posted:

I disagree pretty strongly here. I've met lots of wonderful folks playing this game and have had lots of fun. Cool game, goon community not nearly as virulent as HoN or DotA. Can't vouch for HotS or Smite, but yeah, good people

Goons are mostly alright but boy howdy is the rest of the community pretty awful.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
League actually has peaked in NA and is heading down hill now, though it doesnt matter to the game as a whole. Like theres just less people playing full stop in NA.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the total amount of players in ranked compared to any other major region right now is pretty distressing for NA

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

what other regions don't realize is that ranked sucks

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Let's face it at this point most of us play league just because we don't wanna feel like losers who play some smaller game

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I play league because I've been playing it for 5 years and I like watching comp and sometimes you see something and want to try it. It's not like theres a trick.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one of my favorite things to do when i get drunk or really high is to play league with friends

edit: i mostly dont like to play while sober and i will never play without friends on bc what is the point, but thats true of most games i play now so its not a specific condemnation of league

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Play weedwick

On weeeeed

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
People who think league is going to die in the next few years are underselling a few really big points:

-Tencent: I realize people who live in the US don't really "get" how big of a deal this company is, but trust me, they are. Wechat is such a dominant force in Chinese everything it's insane. It's like if Xbox Live, OKcupid, Facebook, Twitter, Paypal, every Google service and your entire RSS feed was one integrated monster app that dominated your phone. In the big urban parts of China people don't even really call people on the phone anymore, they just use the Wechat service that lets you send little voice clips. The payment options in that app are so pervasive that you can use it everywhere from restaurants to your internet bill and everything in between. Tencent is so powerful that they can basically make anything popular on a whim by promoting it, everything from random pop singers to videogames, and as China's sphere of influence has expanded Wechat is becoming pervasive in places like Singapore and Taiwan as well.

-It's a low spec game: Despite the presence of dumb multi screen laptops from Razer, basically the entire laptop market is moving towards cheap single chip APU based processors for laptops and all those things run League super well. I think the game will have a lot of legs just based on it's intersection of low system requirements and popularity. Especially in places like Asia where building your own PC is a horrible shitshow nightmare of unending fuckery. Dota 2 has kind of given up on this ever since the engine revision (seriously the original build of Dota 2 can run on ANYTHING, I know a guy who played a full game as tree on a P4 based laptop with a gig of RAM) but its a serious consideration I think many gamer focused people don't account for.

-It's for all intents and purposes the founding moment of popular eSports: Yes I know StarCraft was big, but basically everything about modern English language eSports was codified by Riot. LOL is the lens through which, for better or worse, the west will define and perceive all future esports and I think that alone gives it massive staying power. Not to bring in IRL sports metaphors, but it's like how Football didn't go away when people started watching Basketball.

-Scale: If League dropped to a tenth of it's current monthly population it would still be the most played multiplayer videogame on earth. Right now somewhere around 1.5% of all living humans play a game of LoL in a single month. If the LoL playerbase was a country it would be the 13th most populous country on earth right between The Philippines and Ethiopia.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah but... it's bad?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
We'll know League is dying once they remove the level 1-30 and just make it 50 normals before you can ranked or something

That's about the same time Riot announces their next big game and everyone hops ship, except for Chinese players because like 80% of the 100 million players are Chinese

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Another good bug: that time when Heimer could place turrets so he could block spawns from midlane forever, then release all of them in a giant wave of like 100+ minions

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've noticed I can hear a lot of things even though they're being done by enemies in fog of war. Recalls, for instance, or junglers invading and killing our monsters.

Is this a deliberate change somewhere or just bugs in particular abilities?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

I've noticed I can hear a lot of things even though they're being done by enemies in fog of war. Recalls, for instance, or junglers invading and killing our monsters.

Is this a deliberate change somewhere or just bugs in particular abilities?

Recall is something you can hear if you're in vision of them, if you pay close attention you'll notice if you see the start of the animation but they end up in fow shortly thereafter that you'll hear the whole clip play but it doesn't mean they actually finished recalling. i assume it's meant to give you a timer if they did complete the recall but obviously the game won't tell you if you just got feinted.

As far as people attacking creeps in fow I don't think you're supposed to hear that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For the past... year I think? you can every now and then see spell effects coming from baron pit even though you have no vision anywhere near it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There was also a glitch for a while where if ashe bird went directly over an enemy ward in a bush you could see it. It wouldn't pop up on the map and you couldn't attack it but you knew it was there. IIRC Olaf axes also did this for a while as well.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Re: the Darius pull into fountain bug: pre-rework, Darius e calculated what targets it would hit when you cast it, and moved them to you when the animation ended. This meant you could pull people back through flashes/dashes/blinks/etc because repositioning during the cast did nothing. Cho'Gath's W used to use the same targeting system but eventually got patched after Darius rework. The bug was you could cast Darius e at the millisecond that your recall finished when it was too late for it to cancel but you were still at that point on the map, and then the animation completed when you were in fountain.

Old Darius e was baller and it's the only thing I miss about pre-rework (except maybe the AS slow on w). It was also the only skill in the game that punished Ezreal e. Ezreals, used to being able to e out of Blitz hook, got super furious when they got dragged back through their blink.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 18, 2017

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

did riot post the birthdays of all of the major champions, because i think this thread should celebrate the birthdays of champions. but if they did not do that we have a goon project we could do to force them to make this information public

E: they did not, but i found some guy on reddit who did it

happy birthday renekton!!!!!!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wtf release dates aren't birthdays? I mean, like no way is Renekton a capricorn.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lets draw some renekton fanart today everyone

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Is this release or announcement? April first was the joke spotlight for Lee.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RealFoxy posted:

China still plays Warcraft 3 competitively, the game probably won't die anytime soon it's just a matter of interest in NA/EU

TBF Warcraft 3 is probably the best RTS ever made so it's worth playing still.

e: Also I'm not so sure about League dying. It seems like it's losing momentum because people around here aren't playing as much but the active playerbase is still growing.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

one of my favorite things to do when i get drunk or really high is to play league with friends

edit: i mostly dont like to play while sober and i will never play without friends on bc what is the point, but thats true of most games i play now so its not a specific condemnation of league

this is how i got into the game and this is how i remain

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I can't remember the last time I played league without a glass of wine as well

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo I'm so, so bad at this game again. I jumped a 100% 3/0/0 Ryze alone as a 0/0/0 Camille and then got mad when I lost.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is this release or announcement? April first was the joke spotlight for Lee.

i think it might be announcement but either way today is actually renektons birthday.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LoL is so popular in Brazil I don't see it dying here anytime soon.

I don't even know why. I know a shitload of people who never played a PC game before who got addicted to this game. Why not (any other far more accessible game) is beyond me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elentor posted:

I don't even know why. I know a shitload of people who never played a PC game before who got addicted to this game. Why not (any other far more accessible game) is beyond me.

League is, by and large, just accessible enough to be playable and just complex enough to ask investment while having a diverse group of characters (so it's easy to find someone who you like) and having a very low buy-in. It hits a lot of strong niches though almost certainly through luck than actual intentional design. Its popularity is also a self-feeding cycle since it is popular enough that people are willing to push through or have people help them.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Elentor posted:

one of the first things i noticed looking at the ranked numbers was that brazil is roughly equal to NA in terms of ranked players atm (about 20,000 more)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
League also spreads easily because of "hey I enjoy this game and it's free come play with me!" You aren't really out anything if you play two games and hate it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

pog boyfriend posted:

did riot post the birthdays of all of the major champions, because i think this thread should celebrate the birthdays of champions. but if they did not do that we have a goon project we could do to force them to make this information public

Fiora was released on leap day? This explains a lot.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

pog boyfriend posted:

I peg myself as first playing league sometime between April 27 and May 11, 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Methanar posted:

I peg myself

No poo poo

• Locked thread