Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peel posted:

Maybe he's planning to wait until we leave the EU and try to escape in the five minutes before there's a new extradition treaty.

He'd be arrested by the British police anyway since he skipped bail when he fled to the embassy.

Sephyr posted:

Ubless she handed them directly to foreign government agents or sold them for cold hard cash, it is. Daniel Ellsberg also broke sensitive state and defense information to the world, in a time of war and with a very vital USSr on the board to capitalize on it, and he's still a whistleblower.

He's also on Chelsea's side on this, by the way. But what does he know, right?

Ellsberg was prosecuted too; he likely would have spent a significant amount of time in prison if Nixon hadn't Nixoned him so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

duz posted:

Plus there's the whole not being charged with anything in the US and not being a US citizen thing.

A number of US laws can and would apply to non-US citizens and you can seal an indictment so it's not public until the person is arrested. For example, the US considers conspiracy to import drugs to the United States a crime against the United States even if you're a non-US citizen and have never set foot in the United States - that's why countries can and do extradite drug kingpins to the US.

But they'd have easily been able to do it if they'd wanted to. They didn't, because it would have been counterproductive and caused international and domestic blowback. But the UK would have been the perfect partner in extraditing Assange because they're very friendly to the United States and their legal system is even more harsh on leaking state secrets than the US. Specifically the UK has the Official Secrets Act which makes it a crime to report on leaked confidential information, even if the newspaper did not participate in the leak at all. In the United States the Official Secrets Act would likely be a violation of the First Amendment: it is not a crime for a newspaper to report on leaked information and it's quite often said when discussing that that the US does not have an Official Secrets Act. Assange, in the US, could only be prosecuted for conspiracy to commit the leak itself (my vauge recollection is there's enough chatlogs of him encouraging Manning to leak the information to make at least a reasonable case for this, but I don't remember the details).

So not only is the UK extremely friendly to the US, but under the UK's legal system Assange's actions are a clear-cut crime, making it impossible to contest extradition on that basis. Frequently there's an exception to extradition for, in effect, things that are not a crime in the extraditing country and could be considered political. One (sort-of) example to this is the US considers the UK's libel laws an impermissible violation of the freedom of the press, and while US courts will enforce most UK court judgments, they will refuse to cooperate with any UK libel judgments, and a similar principle usually applies to extradition. The US, for example, would give the finger to any country that requested extradition for someone accused of writing a pro-democracy newsletter, for example, even if there was an extradition treaty. So some european countries might consider conspiracy to violate the Espionage Act a political crime and refuse to extradite, but the UK certainly wouldn't.

So the government would probably cooperate, and the legal system would absolutely cooperate. I don't know what Sweden's legal system is like and if they're a country that would refuse extradition but it couldn't be worse for Assange than the UK's.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2017

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
US really should step down from their position as world police, they've been doing pretty awful job at it for the past.. forever

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

hillo posted:

US really should step down from their position as world police, they've been doing pretty awful job at it for the past.. forever

Trump may grant your silly wish

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

JeffersonClay posted:

I knew the genie would grant my wishes if I rubbed out enough.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

JeffersonClay posted:

"Maybe we could do without the US military killing a few million people whenever the state department has delusions"
"Oh you silly foreigner"

A party that got to power on the back of anti-war sentiment and immediately went "you know what, war is actually good". Not morally bankrupt.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Agnosticnixie posted:

"Maybe we could do without the US military killing a few million people whenever the state department has delusions"
"Oh you silly foreigner"

A party that got to power on the back of anti-war sentiment and immediately went "you know what, war is actually good". Not morally bankrupt.

Is this some feverish claim that the Libya intervention killed millions? Hate to break it to you but Democrats never campaigned on or for pacifism.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

JeffersonClay posted:

Is this some feverish claim that the Libya intervention killed millions? Hate to break it to you but Democrats never campaigned on or for pacifism.

I'm glad Lybia managed to have a lower body count than most US interventions. That doesn't make it a good track record except in the utterly evil mind of a technocratic gently caress.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
JeffClay is an interventionist. He gets in arguments with dove leftists all the time. You can think that's lovely (I sure do!) but it's not hypocritical.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'm glad Lybia managed to have a lower body count than most US interventions. That doesn't make it a good track record except in the utterly evil mind of a technocratic gently caress.

oh good, feelings in response to discussions about facts, a sure sign you know things instead of just feel them

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh no CIA started another war in some poo poo-tier country. Oh they're coming here? what? Why don't they go to the place that coused this? WHAT? IT WAS OUR FAULT?! drat. Ok then.

Welcome canadians.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Agnosticnixie posted:

It also has a lower body count than non-interventions such as Rwanda or the Great African War so therefore interventions are good.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

evilweasel posted:

oh good, feelings in response to discussions about facts, a sure sign you know things instead of just feel them

There is no fact involved in reducing US interventionism to Lybia as a justification for its potential for good, especially not when it was obvious that I was talking about Iraq, which was a bipartisan boondoggle.

quote:

It also has a lower body count than non-interventions such as Rwanda or the Great African War so therefore interventions are good.
Rwanda and the Great African war are the end result of an entire century of loving poo poo up in the Congo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Pyrhhic victories beat flat losses, after all

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

This is a good thing, and I enjoy watching a bunch of nerds on the internet who've probably never done a good thing in their life complaining about how the good thing wasn't good enough so it is actually bad.

Personally, I've never seen anything out of the Manning leaks that I think qualifies as actual whistle-blowing, and I generally agree active duty military should be held to a different standard for information security than some one like Snowden who was a civilian contractor. That said, there just isn't any justice to be gained by keeping her locked up. She can't commit the crime again, she's already paid an enormous punitive price for her actions, any negative consequences that might have actually come from her actions are nebulous, and her imprisonment has been pretty drat inhumane (which should also be addressed). The only reason to keep her locked up is "we're really loving mad and want her to suffer" and I don't agree with that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Agnosticnixie posted:

There is no fact involved in reducing US interventionism to Lybia as a justification for its potential for good, especially not when it was obvious that I was talking about Iraq, which was a bipartisan boondoggle.

its not obvious at all, considering that the iraq war was driven from the top rather than from the state department, it's lybia where the state department was pushing to intervene, so there was really no scenario where anything you said indicated any connection to facts as opposed to just feelings

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I sympathize with the ideas behind interventionism, but the problem is that it relies upon the assumption that the government/military will be competent and you're always throwing the dice when, as an un-involved civilian, you try to argue that it's a good idea (and the odds aren't good historically). I don't think I've ever seen anyone explain why regime change in Syria is a good idea while it was a bad idea in Iraq, and the most common argument used is almost the exact same ("Are you trying to say that Saddam/Assad isn't bad?!?"). While there's a difference in terms of there having been an active rebellion in Syria, at the end of the day it's still a tough sell, given we don't have any reason to believe a rebel-lead government would be significantly better (and there are plenty of bad governments in the world).

It seems like it has the highest chance of working out well in situations where the rebelling faction (if one exists) has a good chance of winning and the goal is simply to hasten their victory (and minimize casualties in the process). Pushing a side that wouldn't have won (or would have had great difficulty winning) as in Syria seems like a terrible idea, because there's a really high chance of just pointlessly extending the conflict. And in both cases, there's usually not really any reliable reason to believe that the new regime will be significantly better than the old one (unless the old one is literally genociding millions of people), which makes the calculus in favor of intervention even worse.

edit: I also understand that someone could argue "well, if we helped more it could end the conflict even faster" but that's another situation where you're really taking a dangerous gamble and assuming that the intervention will be carried out competently.

il_cornuto posted:

Your insistence that this woman should have been killed is creepy as hell.

hakimashou's whole deal seems to be "I'm just making the hard, rational decisions, and sometimes people have to die. That's just the way the world is, you gotta be mature sometimes and accept that death must be dealt. The weak will be consumed by the strong. *vigorously strokes self off*"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 18, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Personally, I've never seen anything out of the Manning leaks that I think qualifies as actual whistle-blowing, and I generally agree active duty military should be held to a different standard for information security than some one like Snowden who was a civilian contractor.

The collateral murder video was rather important to the AP since they wanted to know what happened to their people and the military wasn't going to release it.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/18/assange-might-stay-put-despite-earlier-extradition-promise-lawyer-suggests.html

quote:

Published January 18, 2017 FoxNews.com

Julian Assange headed to U.S. soil? Not so fast, his lawyer says.

Barry Pollack, the WikiLeaks founder’s U.S.-based attorney, told The Hill in an email that President Obama’s commutation of Chelsea Manning’s sentence Tuesday doesn’t meet the conditions of Assange’s extradition offer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I am absolutely startled by this news. Completely unexpected. I have never been more surprised.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

duz posted:

The collateral murder video was rather important to the AP since they wanted to know what happened to their people and the military wasn't going to release it.

The Collateral Murder video comes closest, but it falls short of the line in my opinion. Despite that, If that was all she had leaked I'd probably give her the benefit of the doubt and call it whistle blowing, since people's judgement is going to differ on these things. Unfortunately it was dwarfed in volume by stuff like the diplomatic cables, which never should have been released to the public.

Wikileaks' style of leaking documents serves to do nothing but inflate Julian Assange's ego at the expense of all of us. Important whistle-blowing is overwhelmed by meaningless leaks, and meaningless leaks are pumped up to be earth shattering revelations. In the past, Journalists played an important role in filtering this stuff and giving us context, and if that's not already gone its rapidly being lost. Its a major factor in why we have crazy people shooting-up pizza places over John Podesta's meaningless emails, and the actual legit big news Panama Papers being completely forgotten inside a week.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Taking bets on whether Obama would've commuted her without the transgender angle in the mix.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Taking bets on whether Obama would've commuted her without the transgender angle in the mix.

Far less likely that he would have, and far fewer people would care. It really is a relevant consideration given how it contributed to her suffering in prison though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Over/Under is 6.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeusExMachinima posted:

Cis Manning probably wouldn't have tried to off himself as much, and then been thrown in solitary for suicide attempts. So he probably would've been in the news less

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I am absolutely startled by this news. Completely unexpected. I have never been more surprised.

I have died from shock. I am dead now. My ghost is writing this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The other funny thing is he wants to be extradited directly to the US, skipping that whole "Sweden" place.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Obama's going to be giving his final press conference shortly. Pretty good odds he'll be asked about this.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

The other funny thing is he wants to be extradited directly to the US, skipping that whole "Sweden" place.

He hasn't been charged with anything in Sweden. He is merely wanted for questioning. The entire reason for his refusal to go there has been because they will not agree to non-extradition with the US.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AARO posted:

He hasn't been charged with anything in Sweden. He is merely wanted for questioning. The entire reason for his refusal to go there has been because they will not agree to non-extradition with the US.

Wrong. He hasn't been charged with anything in Sweden because the questioning is a necessary part of charging someone with a crime under Swedish law. The only people who believe this are idiots, for the reasons I outlined before: if the US had wanted to extradite Assange at the time the UK was the perfect country for him to be in. He made that concern up to evade the rape charges.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AARO posted:

Congratulations for reading justice4assange.com.

1) He is not wanted for questioning; he is wanted for arrest. Swedish criminal procedure requires an arrest prior to the charge being made. The British courts not only agreed the warrant was valid, but also that the actions alleged were rape under British law.
2) The Swedish government cannot constitutionally guarantee non-extradition, as it would be an executive overreach into an independent judiciary. Regardless, any extradition request served to Sweden whilst he is in Swedish custody requires both the consent of the UK and Sweden.

Honestly, think about it: if the US wanted to extradite Assange, why didn't they send the request straight to the UK, instead of using the Swedes accuse him of a crime that is notoriously hard to prosecute, especially when the UK is happier to extradite based on political offences than Sweden?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh good, we found the maker of this macro

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

TinTower posted:

Honestly, think about it: if the US wanted to extradite Assange, why didn't they send the request straight to the UK, instead of using the Swedes accuse him of a crime that is notoriously hard to prosecute, especially when the UK is happier to extradite based on political offences than Sweden?

This is obviously also a plot to smear him. This guy exposes the most powerful Government in the world of war and other crimes. Do you not think they are out to get him?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AARO posted:

This is obviously also a plot to smear him. This guy exposes the most powerful Government in the world of war and other crimes. Do you not think they are out to get him?

Must be a hell of a smear if his defence counsel doesn't contest the alleged actions happening, but rather the lawfulness of those actions.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Congratulations for reading justice4assange.com.

1) He is not wanted for questioning; he is wanted for arrest. Swedish criminal procedure requires an arrest prior to the charge being made. The British courts not only agreed the warrant was valid, but also that the actions alleged were rape under British law.
2) The Swedish government cannot constitutionally guarantee non-extradition, as it would be an executive overreach into an independent judiciary. Regardless, any extradition request served to Sweden whilst he is in Swedish custody requires both the consent of the UK and Sweden.

Critical thinking is hard!

Your post reminded me that there were some rumors that Assange had been compromised and/or assassinated last week. I never found out the source of those rumors. Can anyone point to some information about that? Or is it just the November rumors re-kindled?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.buzzfeed.com/talalansari/president-obama-final-news-conference?utm_term=.qtBVb3qkm#.awawGmLjd

quote:

President Obama addressed his commutation of most of Chelsea Manning’s prison sentence at his final press conference on Wednesday.

“Chelsea Manning has served a tough prison sentence,” he said. “So the notion that the average person who was thinking about disclosing vital classified information would think it goes unpunished, I don’t think would get that impression from the sentence that Chelsea manning has served.”

Manning was an Army intelligence analyst arrested in 2010 and sentenced to 35 years in prison for the biggest breach of classified information of US national security history. She announced she was a transgender woman while in prison.

“It has been my view that, given she went to trial, that due process was carried out, that she took responsibility for her crime, that the sentence that she received was very disproportionate relative to what other leakers have received, and that she had served a significant amount of time, that it makes sense to commute — and not pardon — her sentence,” Obama said.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Can't say I really get the part about the disproportionate sentence given that it was a bigger leak than most.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
On one hand It's good but on the other she's being released into the wilds of Trump's America as a widely hated trans-person while her civil liberties are in extreme danger of being stripped away in an egregious fashion. I don't imagine her life going in a great direction.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bag em and tag em posted:

On one hand It's good but on the other she's being released into the wilds of Trump's America as a widely hated trans-person while her civil liberties are in extreme danger of being stripped away in an egregious fashion. I don't imagine her life going in a great direction.

Question is, is her dishonorable discharge going to follow her past the name change (is her name even changed legally yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

Question is, is her dishonorable discharge going to follow her past the name change (is her name even changed legally yet?)

It's not like she's an ordinary private figure. Every publicized detail of Chelsea Manning's life, from the leak to the discharge to the suicide watch, will follow her forever. Doesn't really matter if the dd214 is correct.

• Locked thread