Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo does poo poo like that because they know there is no realistic way they can possibly gently caress up hard enough that they wreck the brand as "THE video game company". They can do whatever they want however they want as much as they want to and won't make a dent in the public consciousness until well after their entire executive staff are in the ground.

Hell, we're only barely getting out of calling playing video games "playing nintendo" by the older crowd. Plus, with the glut of childhood nostalgia for the company, they could make something that burns down houses and electrifies kids and they'd still have faithfuls defending it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cubey posted:

i want to root for nintendo but i am sick of them never learning a goddamn loving thing from their repeated failures. it is a goddamn shame that they develop such great games while making such awful business decisions over and over.

Either support them, or don't. If you have no faith in them, do not buy the Nintendo Switch, and do not buy Nintendo Switch games.

All I can say is that the Nintendo Wii sold hand over fist, resulting in Sony and Microsoft trying to catch that lightning in their own bottles, and there are a single-digit number of people in my circle of friends and acquaintances that doesn't own a 3DS at this point. amiibos exploded. Every single one of the big 3 companies has hosed up something hardcore over the years, and in spite of that, they're all still here and not exactly endangered species. If you feel Nintendo just can't meet your expectations, then give up on them and maintain a consumer relationship with the companies that do.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah great the wii sold lots. so that makes 1 out of their last 4 consoles that actually worked out for them. yep they really got their poo poo straight.

i do not understand how someone can seriously look at their recent past and think 'yeah this'll work out great'. i say that as someone who rates the snes and gamecube as my two favorite consoles ever.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cubey posted:

so that makes 1 out of their last 4 consoles that actually worked out for them. yep they really got their poo poo straight.

i do not understand how someone can seriously look at their recent past and think 'yeah this'll work out great'.

But enough about Sony.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They've been killing it for a while now, though? Hell, the PS3 had the rockiest start possible behind the massive casual Wii success, rocket launch of the 360, and its own price point, but ended up doing super well?

I don't even know what you're saying with that other than a weak "no u"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

But enough about Sony.

you are completely and totally mental.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They've been killing it for a while now, though? Hell, the PS3 had the rockiest start possible behind the massive casual Wii success, rocket launch of the 360, and its own price point, but ended up doing super well?

I don't even know what you're saying with that other than a weak "no u"

Are you saying that PSP and PS Vita were hugely successful pieces of hardware?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

Are you saying that PSP and PS Vita were hugely successful pieces of hardware?

the psp sold over 75 million units, you utter clown

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was so excited for the Switch with the initial reveal but I have to agree Nintendo bungled it hard with their recent presentation and the direction they seem to want to go with, i.e. more gimmicky poo poo (HD rumble lol). For me the only reason to get a switch would be for the new Zelda and that's something best saved for later when a bundle comes out. To keep this a little more relevant to the thread's topic:

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, 8 times out of 10 I generally disregard anything that comes out of Jim Sterling's smug, self-important mouth, but the man has been a loving soothsayer when it comes to Nintendo relentlessly shooting itself in the foot with its unending stream of terrible decisions. I've been generally cold to the idea of the Nintendo Switch since I first saw, and seeing Jim come out with both barrels against it this week has reaffirmed my decision to not even bother with the thing.

You do realize that most of his smugness is a trait that he's playing up for a character, right? If you watch his non-scripted stuff he comes across as a lot more reasonable.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Genocyber posted:

You do realize that most of his smugness is a trait that he's playing up for a character, right? If you watch his non-scripted stuff he comes across as a lot more reasonable.

also jim loving sterling, son is usually right regardless of how smug he is or isn't

except when he calls dynasty warriors good

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I've been crazy busy. I went to a wedding! and then my car got broken into! At the place I parked the night before the wedding!!

But I'm fine. I've been working on getting more bonus videos out because the hard drive I kept some of my footage on (which died before I backed it up) un-died long enough to get the files off. So I'm working on those and also another longish video about Dark Souls 2.

Also NCG's wedding photos looked baller and made me decide to get a haircut. People can see my ears now and I'm scared

Do you still look like a thumb, tho?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cubey posted:

the psp sold over 75 million units, you utter clown

lol dude why are you so angry

look, man, nintendo's gonna nintendo, and you're either gonna buy their stuff or not

it's really not worth getting so upset over

the gamecube did fine (considering it was up against the ps2, which was more or less the average person's DVD player at the time), the wii did phenomenally well, the wii u was a pretty sad showing all things considered
the gba did amazingly, the ds did amazingly (especially compared to the psp), and the 3ds had a very rocky start and is now in the hands of A LOT of people (as opposed to the vita's install base, bless its heart)

the switch is gonna be great and will do great

Cubey posted:

except when he calls dynasty warriors good

i burned myself on this hot take

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am mad about Jim Sterling because of video games. Really mad!!!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Nice, I like the switch to the lower case relaxed posting style to really drive home the "lol u mad" response.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MMF Freeway posted:

Nice, I like the switch to the lower case relaxed posting style to really drive home the "lol u mad" response.

friend, if you're not relax posting about good video games, then why even post at all

e: I'll end the derail there and bring it around to say that I think there's way too much negativity surrounding Switch reactions, from critics and consumers. Just see what happens when more is announced closer to release, and go from there. If it fails, oh well.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, so I think I really, really like this Mikey guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdlmaCOp9cU

That hit me way harder than I thought it would.

Did you see his video on Sunshine yet? I already liked that movie but hot drat his waxing poetic along to the main theme brought all the things I loved about it come rushing back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXVzg2PiZw

Wonder if he'd do a video on Moon(2009).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The reactions are what they are. They held an event that showed off what they felt the world was ready to see and learn about and people didn't like it. People are obviously going to wait and see but initial impressions are not favorable.

And the launch is 3 months away.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon look cool.

This ends my highly nuanced opinion on the Nintendo Switch. A clear sign that I should become an internet critic myself.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The only thing about the Switch that has me in the least bit excited is the SMT teaser, and the possibility that we might see another Xenoblade game somewhere down the line. As of right now though it looks like a disaster in the making (another Skyrim rerelease? Seriously?). I’ll probably end up doing what I did with the Wii U and wait a few years so I can pick one up cheap on ebay, unless it really wows me with a slew of amazing games before that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Roth posted:

Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon look cool.

This ends my highly nuanced opinion on the Nintendo Switch. A clear sign that I should become an internet critic myself.

Expand those thoughts with trailers as visuals for about 25 minutes, and you too can GameXplain.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

My uncle works for Nintendo and he says this is his favourite thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Augus posted:

I am mad about Jim Sterling because of video games. Really mad!!!

I read this in hbomb's voice and it sounded funny.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

My uncle works for Nintendo and he says this is his favourite thread.

Sorry about your idiot uncle. :sympathy:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wait you're telling me this guy with a loving Splatoon character as an avatar is a die-hard Nintendo defender!?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Nintendo is a bad company with really good games there aren't enough of. Their sheer inability to grasp the internet in any significant way is nothing short of amazing. People unfavorably compare Nintendo to Apple, but the only thing I can think of that Apple has hosed up as badly as Nintendo with tone deafness is the headphone jack thing (and I say this as someone who got rid of her iPhone for an Android because she got fed up with it).

From a marketing perspective all Nintendo has going for it is that the Treehouse is bar none the best E3 event, and their directs are a fairly decent way to deliver news. But everything else, including most of their Youtube trailers which are often inexplicably voiced by cringy Treehouse people, is just tone deaf.

I'm going to buy a Switch, because I am a fangirl, and I'm gonna get it for some of the games anyway. But Nintendo has SO MUCH to criticize from their handling of LPs and licensing, to their handling of virtual console.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alaois posted:

Wait you're telling me this guy with a loving Splatoon character as an avatar is a die-hard Nintendo defender!?

I was playing Breath of Fire 4 on my Vita while I was posting, so I'm all about making bad choices in life!!!!!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If anything, the Switch makes me want to pick up a WiiU some time down the line. Get those handful of must-have Nintendo games out for it and the new Zelda. Though, I do still play my NES and SNES so I get my Nintendo fill all the time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I admit, I haven't really followed the Nintendo Switch reveal info, so I don't know what all the fuss is over the online stuff. All I know about the Switch is that Mario Odyssey looks cool, and it makes me wonder if I should bother buying more games for Wii U, since it seem like some of them are going to be ported over to the Switch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I admit, I haven't really followed the Nintendo Switch reveal info, so I don't know what all the fuss is over the online stuff. All I know about the Switch is that Mario Odyssey looks cool, and it makes me wonder if I should bother buying more games for Wii U, since it seem like some of them are going to be ported over to the Switch.

The fuss over the online stuff is that it'll be a paid service that makes PSN and Xbox Gold look like a shining beacon of online services. Probably the most controversial point revealed is that, as part of the service, you will get one free SNES/NES game per month on a temporary basis, and that as soon as the month is over you have to pay to continue to play that game even if you're subscription is still active.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

e: I'll end the derail there and bring it around to say that I think there's way too much negativity surrounding Switch reactions, from critics and consumers.

it's almost as if a company unveiling a poorly-conceived product leads to negativity about said product!

Genocyber posted:

The fuss over the online stuff is that it'll be a paid service that makes PSN and Xbox Gold look like a shining beacon of online services. Probably the most controversial point revealed is that, as part of the service, you will get one free SNES/NES game per month on a temporary basis, and that as soon as the month is over you have to pay to continue to play that game even if you're subscription is still active.

this is maybe the dumbest thing they could possibly have done but i am also completely unsurprised by it. imagine if instead they gave out two nes or snes games a month for free, ones you kept. that'd still not be on the level of sony and microsoft's offerings but it'd at least be something. it'd at least give me some degree of hope that they were finally getting with the program.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 19, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Cubey posted:

you're right, because they would gently caress it up far, far worse than sony could even hope to gently caress up psnow.

PS Now is probably not the best benchmark because it's also streaming the game and God could you imagine streaming classic megaman?

But if pricing for (S)NES subscriptions were similar a PS3 games subscription when the PS3 is literally impossible to emulate that would constitute a massive gently caress up.

Probably the one thing this online service has going for it is that we don't know if it will be the same price or perhaps 30 a year, which may make it more palatable. I'd personally not even really be satisfied with that, maybe more like 20 or 25, but Nintendo makes some dumb moves and I'm probably gonna be waiting to get it refurbished in a year despite how hyped I am for the new Zelda.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cubey posted:

this is maybe the dumbest thing they could possibly have done but i am also completely unsurprised by it. imagine if instead they gave out two nes or snes games a month for free, ones you kept. that'd still not be on the level of sony and microsoft's offerings but it'd at least be something. it'd at least give me some degree of hope that they were finally getting with the program.

Specifically, it will be a NES/SNES title optimized for online play in some capacity, something that you will be able to actively play with other subscribers of the online service. Since everyone will have exclusive access to that one title for the month, it ensures that you will actually have people to play with.

In the Switch thread, I made this example: Let's say for some month, we get Super Bomberman 1 for the SNES, and you decide not to play it for about 4 months. You hop in, ready for that online battle mode, and welp, instead of everyone clamoring about and blowing each other up, there's two people, maybe. I think that's the general idea behind it. Afterwards, you can choose to buy the game if you thought it was worth your time. Similarly, PSN offers Plus exclusive timed trials that let you try an entire game for 60 minutes, after which you can buy it (and any trophies you got during the trial will only pop once you purchase it).

I think what's really telling here is that "The fuss over the online stuff is that it'll be a paid service that makes PSN and Xbox Gold look like a shining beacon of online services" was a statement that was made when 1) we don't know the full extent of the service, 2) we don't even know what the service costs, 3) we can't compare its quality to PSN and XBL, since it doesn't currently exist, and 4) Nintendo literally said you can use its online services for free from the moment the Switch is released until the paid service launches in the fall, giving you ample time to decide whether or not it sucks and giving them ample time to potentially fix issues and apply reasonable user feedback.

Nintendo is doomed for decisions that its critics seem to be making for it, which is pretty cool, I guess.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
To all you morons dissing the Switch, how the gently caress are you going to become the life of the party on a rooftop? With your loving PS4? lol

Nintendo would be such a good 3rd party developer. It'll never happen but you have to admit they'd be awesome

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think they're going to be well optimized at all. They may have online play but I don't expect it to be any good. With a month turn-around for each title I don't think you can expect much. Would be cool if it was a flawless experience but I don't foresee if working out.

Your example doesn't make any sense, by the way. I don't think it's you get the game and play it a month, it's that you get the game for that month. So if you decide to play Bomberman 4 months after the month it's available to play you'd have to pay for it first.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

4) Nintendo literally said you can use its online services for free from the moment the Switch is released until the paid service launches in the fall, giving you ample time to decide whether or not it sucks and giving them ample time to potentially fix issues and apply reasonable user feedback.

The rest of the post is addressing speculation, but this is a little bit off. Starting March is a free trial period which does not actually have the free monthly games, online lobbies and voice chat with friends using the phone app, or the special PS+ style deals. That all starts in the Fall when the paid subscription starts. All we have between launch until then is online co-op and competitive modes. This is detailed on http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Nintendo would be such a good 3rd party developer. It'll never happen but you have to admit they'd be awesome

My enduring dream is for Nintendo to just give up the ghost on the console game like Sega did and just make games for the PlayStation and Xbox as a third party dev.

My worry though is that Nintendo wouldn't know how to handle being a third party developer and make non-gimmick games.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brad just put up a review for I'm Not Ashamed, a Pureflix movie about a kid killed in the Columbine murders, and it seems like the first Pureflix movie with a character who embodies actual Christian virtues by simply being a decent person and caring about others. The typical David AR White hateful fundamentalists kind of seem like they come off as in the wrong. It seems way less hateful and evil than Old Fashioned. I guess the real person they used as the main character was a good enough person that they couldn't warp her into their usual sort of character. Though it does seem sleazy that they hijacked a real person and tried to make her a martyr for their crazy culture just because she died tragically and pointlessly.

This seems like it was practically a vacation for Brad.

https://youtu.be/3SMFmmmUjbI

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

My enduring dream is for Nintendo to just give up the ghost on the console game like Sega did and just make games for the PlayStation and Xbox as a third party dev.

My worry though is that Nintendo wouldn't know how to handle being a third party developer and make non-gimmick games.

I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen, and would probably be a bad thing if it did. Nintendo is really drat good at creating new ideas and actually implementing them in fun ways, while the other companies see them as "gimmicks" and never, ever put enough faith into their own products. Of course motion controls suck on every system not made by Nintendo, because Nintendo was basically the only company that cared about making them work and making them fun.

Everybody says "Nintendo is doooooomed", but look at what Sony's doing with 4K and VR, and Microsoft's doing with... uh, nothing, while Nintendo is launching a new console in 6 weeks with a shitton of unique features that neither company has and nobody has any idea if it'll work or not, which is like flipping investors and marketing analysis experts the bird.

Everything has been far too "safe" in AAA games for a while now, the same old poo poo has pushed out with a new coat of paint so many times that nobody is buying like they used to even just two years ago, Sony and Microsoft are both pushing "new-but-not" consoles out instead of actual new consoles, so if anything, Nintendo is picking the perfect time to strike with a new console. Nobody knows how the Switch is going to be received, but at the very least it's going to shake things up quite a bit, which is what Nintendo is best at.

I mean, it sucks that they can't get anyone else to make some loving games for the thing, but at least they're willing to go through with it anyway, which takes balls that no other company has.

... so how about them critics, eh?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Brad just put up a review for I'm Not Ashamed, a Pureflix movie about a kid killed in the Columbine murders, and it seems like the first Pureflix movie with a character who embodies actual Christian virtues by simply being a decent person and caring about others. The typical David AR White hateful fundamentalists kind of seem like they come off as in the wrong. It seems way less hateful and evil than Old Fashioned. I guess the real person they used as the main character was a good enough person that they couldn't warp her into their usual sort of character. Though it does seem sleazy that they hijacked a real person and tried to make her a martyr for their crazy culture just because she died tragically and pointlessly.

This seems like it was practically a vacation for Brad.

https://youtu.be/3SMFmmmUjbI

I feel like a douche for even asking but didn't the witnesses actually dispute that it wasn't her but some other girl who got asked that question?

Nice that she get's a good portrayal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

I feel like a douche for even asking but didn't the witnesses actually dispute that it wasn't her but some other girl who got asked that question?

Nice that she get's a good portrayal though.

The story about being asked about believing in god was about a different girl entirely, Cassie Burnell, and that story has been disputed by all witnesses. Rachel Scott, who this movie is about, was the first victim and there were no surviving witnesses to her murder. There's no evidence she spoke to her killers at all. So that's the gross christ-sploitation angle here. Still abnormally good for the people who made God's Not Dead.

• Locked thread