Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

steinrokkan posted:

I am a Jewish antifascist activist, and my greatest concern is to remove the most prominent Jewish antifascist man from politics for good.

Yeah, ID politics can become corrosive and exclusive when taken to absurd extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OTOH, as much as I agree with Jordan Freiman here, he needs to change his picture, because holy poo poo dude. You're not Che. And you shouldn't want to be Che. Stop trying to look like Che.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I get more of a wheelchair bound Lt. Dan vibe

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zikan posted:

can't wait for hillary to beat de blasio in the primary with a pro-cop campaign and then lose to Yellin' Ted, the hobo whose entire campaign consists of screaming at drivers on the George Washington bridge

Just like a lib, focusing exclusively on Yellin' Ted's body order and unbelievable greasiness rather than listening to what he's telling you about the real mood of people in this cityand how it's all the result of orbital mind control lasers.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Majorian posted:

Don't diminish the importance of knowing Washington's inner workings; it's a big part of why Sanders' campaign ultimately didn't succeed.

Care to elaborate? Genuinely, I'm not being sarcastic. I've got faint memories that some of his high-tier campaign staff were inexperienced or made poor choices but I'd love to read a postmortem if you have a link to a good one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I get more of a wheelchair bound Lt. Dan vibe

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Maybe their health insurance doesn't cover chair 2 head

Is Bill DeBlasio Good (tm)? I don't know much about him but his refusal to give the NYPD blowjobs publicly is a nice change of pace for most mayors.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Don't diminish the importance of knowing Washington's inner workings; it's a big part of why Sanders' campaign ultimately didn't succeed.

I think it's less "knowing Washington's inner workings" and more "having long-term preparation". Sanders' campaign started as a lark and only really got serious halfway through the race, and he primarily failed because he had no idea how to gain the trust of nonwhite voters because he spent his entire career in Vermont.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zegermans posted:

Is Bill DeBlasio Good (tm)? I don't know much about him but his refusal to give the NYPD blowjobs publicly is a nice change of pace for most mayors.

i like him because the cops all turned their chairs around on him once, I don't know if they continue to do that or not.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

zegermans posted:

Eh, if he wasn't constantly impeded by Cuomo because he's viewed as a potential primary challenger, he could do better. Even so, he's not that great.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What exactly do these people find so intrinsically terrifying about "berners" apart from the part where they sometimes criticize people even if they are Democrats, in blatant violation of the sacred Hastert Rule

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cuomo is corrupt

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

in blatant violation of the sacred Hastert Rule

You're thinking of Reagan's 11th Commandment.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

loquacius posted:

What exactly do these people find so intrinsically terrifying about "berners" apart from the part where they sometimes criticize people even if they are Democrats, in blatant violation of the sacred Hastert Rule

NO TRUE DEMOCRAT!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't see big cities ditching their Dem mayors unless there truly is no hope

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

You're thinking of Reagan's 11th Commandment.

:doh: I am, and I can't even blame that on me currently being tired and stressed because I actually did genuinely think that was the Hastert Rule

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I don't see big cities ditching their Dem mayors unless there truly is no hope

Boston currently has a progressive named Tito Jackson running to replace its Dem incumbent Marty Walsh

Tito hasn't really declared on the current factional struggle but he is fairly progressive on things like education and affordable housing, whereas Marty is generally pro-developer and pro-yuppie and roughly indistinguishable from Charlie Baker, our Republican governor and his best friend.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

Boston currently has a progressive named Tito Jackson running to replace its Dem incumbent Marty Walsh

Tito hasn't really declared on the current factional struggle but he is fairly progressive on things like education and affordable housing, whereas Marty is generally pro-developer and pro-yuppie and roughly indistinguishable from Charlie Baker, our Republican governor and his best friend.

That's probably every major Democrat utopia in the country. Austin's mayor wants skyscrappers and apartments only saudi billionaires can afford

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm watching Hypernormalization thanks to the Chapo Trap House interview posted earlier and all i can say is :stare:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

centrists have no spine, are afraid of breaking status quo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Yea I'm not really sure why New Yorkers dislike him, but New Yorkers are garbage people so v:shobon:v I think he's pretty great myself.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

It's depressing and scary to think that capitalism isn't screwed up because of accidental racism and sexism, but is irredeemably broken and exploitative by design.

Digiwizzard has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Jan 18, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

You know I've been putting off going to a local Dem meeting but this gave me enough motivation to get on it, can't let people like this control the party.

loquacius posted:

Marty is also very vocally anti-weed even by lovely establishment Dem standards.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Jan 18, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
they say on a quiet night you can still hear Biden desperately trying to leave Walsh a congratulatory voicemail

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah there's a long way to go in Boston when the run-off choice was between Walsh and school privatization proponent John Connolly

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HorseRenoir posted:

I think it's less "knowing Washington's inner workings" and more "having long-term preparation". Sanders' campaign started as a lark and only really got serious halfway through the race, and he primarily failed because he had no idea how to gain the trust of nonwhite voters because he spent his entire career in Vermont.

You are right, and specifically it's "not having friends / allies in the right places".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HorseRenoir posted:

He did fine with younger minorities. "He's just a candidate for white people" was just one of the many narratives that got pushed against him.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

He did fine with younger minorities. "He's just a candidate for white people" was just one of the many narratives that got pushed against him.

When you lose over 80% of black voters, it doesn't really matter that you "did fine" with younger ones. You still are really far away from where you need to be.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just gonna requote myself here

loquacius posted:

Sanders had a really late start and Jeff Weaver poo poo the bed on the South, so he lost the whole region, and the narrative basically wrote itself from there

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
*cranes neck to Electoral map to see how much of the south Hillary won*

:lol:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LmaoTheKid posted:

Racist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LmaoTheKid posted:

yea why even let southern dems vote???

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The Clintons had a decades-long relationship with af-am leaders, especially in the south. That was a huge advantage, but when you lose South Carolina primary black voters by nearly as much as Trump did it becomes fairly obvious that it was as much a messaging issue as an outreach issue, if not more. For whatever reason, southern black voters weren't buying what Bernie was selling. That's not a spending allocation issue.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

LmaoTheKid posted:

:yikes:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

You know you've made it bigly on twitter when you poo poo talk hillary's campaign and get 75 likes in 3 seconds from the bottiest looking bots ever and zero retweets.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i'm not sure what you even can do to win over folks that are that loyal to a family that curbstomped the poo poo out of them

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

The Clintons had a decades-long relationship with af-am leaders, especially in the south. That was a huge advantage, but when you lose South Carolina primary black voters by nearly as much as Trump did it becomes fairly obvious that it was as much a messaging issue as an outreach issue, if not more. For whatever reason, southern black voters weren't buying what Bernie was selling. That's not a spending allocation issue.

if bernie had started like two months earlier and written slightly tweaked versions of his stump speech depending on region he would have swept :v:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

obama's internet of 2008 was spun off into the void and spun back in 2016 as frog piss men

woke edit: i think we should take are intarnet back

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 18, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

the fact that the blue dogs have been completely destroyed should tell you something about southern dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Really if you remove all the bad things Candidate A did, they would have beaten Candidate B easily.

• Locked thread