Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scripting 50 wizards sounds like a loving nightmare, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Scripting 50 wizards sounds like a loving nightmare, though.

It is, but you can make it a wimpy nightmare by reducing everything you need to as little scripts as you need, then you just have to move down the list, pasting your scripts as you go. It's still tedious, but not as insane as in Dom3, where you had to give orders by hand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can cut and paste scripts? How do you do that?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am surprised Ulm is out in this style of game. With their Rangers and the massive bonus I would think they could easily make an impressive army early. In addition with their national vampire summon they should have been beefy by beginning of Y2. Does anyone know what happened to them?

(Alternatively I am completely wrong with my assessment and I would like to know where I was off base)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

You can cut and paste scripts? How do you do that?

You put your mouse cursor on your script in the normal army screen (not the scripting screen, that confused the gently caress out of me in the beginning) so the script is highlighted. Then your press CTRl+ a number from 0-9. The script is now saved to that number. To paste scripts, you go to a commander without a script, highlight the first empty order spot the same way and press the number where you have your script stored. And presto, your script has been copied!

You only get ten spots for your scripts though, this means you can't go all-out on this. After you stored ten scripts, you have to pick and choose.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Donkringel posted:

I am surprised Ulm is out in this style of game. With their Rangers and the massive bonus I would think they could easily make an impressive army early. In addition with their national vampire summon they should have been beefy by beginning of Y2. Does anyone know what happened to them?

(Alternatively I am completely wrong with my assessment and I would like to know where I was off base)

LA Ulm has a tendency to get dogpiled, which may have happened. Like Bogarus they've got innate S/B casters, which means people wouldn't particularly like them even disregarding Sanguine Heritage. Unlike Bogarus, their mages are also recruit anywhere, which means people are even more likely to want to knock them out fast.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LA Ulm also has pikeneers, which are really good, and their S/B mages don't need forts. There's a lot of reasons to dogpile on Ulm.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Does fatigue affect all units? Or are some, like demons/elementals/mindless undead excepted?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It affects all units, it's just that some units don't get fatigued naturally, anything lifeless or undead doesn't get fatigue from hand to hand combat but they do gt some from spellcasting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That GoH for Bogarus is interesting. Since their very old mages also have a pretty good chance of having S3, I would anticipate that nations without astral access are going to see a lot of mysteriously dead commanders in the near future.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is that the second global for Bogarus? Who are they fighting?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Glazius posted:

Is that the second global for Bogarus? Who are they fighting?

Man cast Mother Oak for the first global of the game. We're not sure whom Bogarus is fighting now. Many, many turns ago we caught a scouted report of an Ulm-Bogarus battle, and since Ulm was just defeated a few turns ago I figure they were fighting. Now, though, we have no clue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Boggles might need a serious pact to bring down.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Boggles might need a serious pact to bring down.

Especially if we're rooting for the OP of the LP. That would give him more time to build his vampire hordes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sullat posted:

Especially if we're rooting for the OP of the LP. That would give him more time to build his vampire hordes.

If you're not rooting for the Just and Virtuous nation of Gath then you can :frogout:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm rooting for there just and glorious nation of vampires. Does that count?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm rooting for Howareu purely by virtue of my lust for unnecessarily long Dom LPs.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Arcturas posted:

I'm rooting for there just and glorious nation of vampires. Does that count?

:getin:

Turn 49

Turn 49 begins with an advancement in Thaumaturgy, though there is not much at level 5 that we are interested in. We are on our way to level 7, for one of the most potent and powerful battlespells in the game.
We cast Scapegoats a few times, summon more wolves, summon two more Vampire Lords (Ham and Shem), and find a single +1W site through searching.

We also cast Eyes of God.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but we took our S3 hero that we got way back at the beginning of the game, put a Starshine Skullcap (+1S) and Crystal Coin (+1S) on her, and now she's cast Eyes of God. We can now see all of the score graphs for every nation, plus the description says that Eyes helps our patrolling units to lower unrest even more, which would be excellent for blood hunting. So, what do we see?

The first graph is Provinces:

Bogarus and Pangea are almost twice the size of any other nation in the game, as I feared. Man, Caelum, and ourselves are all roughly equal to each other. Hilariously, Jomon does indeed own five water provinces in the Southern sea. Go Jomon!

The next graph is Forts:

We are in 4th place on Forts, Man used to be in 1st but lost some forts to Pan and our efforts. Bogarus has tons of them. Forts are really just an indicator of how many mages a nation can recruit per turn.

Here's Income:

Our income, as you are all well aware, is dogshit. Man, Bogarus, and Pan are all mega-rich, which makes sense since they all went full positive scales, not having any real sacreds worth blessing.

The next graph is Gem Income:

In the later game this graph is probably one of the most important indicators of a nation’s power. I’m very pleased to see that we are 2nd in gem income. You can see on the graph where we got a boost when we took those two provinces from Man. We’ll take more soon!

Next is Research:

We are 3rd in research, which is excellent. What surprises me is that Man is ahead of Bogarus in a comfortable first place. Well, so far Man hasn’t shown me what all of that research has gone towards.

Here is Dominion:

:eyepop:

Wow! Look at that amazing peak of Xibalban dominion. That, ladies and gentleman, is what aggressive blood-saccing can do. We are in a comfortable 3rd place in Dominion strength. What I find most interesting is how weak Caelum’s dominion is. We are trying to Dom-push Man so that we can use our Vampires offensively, but we may end up hurting Caelum in the process. So far he’s been a peaceful friend, and we don’t want him to go to war with us anytime soon.

The final graph is Army Size:

Congrats, friends, we have the largest armies in the world. :bravo:

Army size graphs are worth nothing, since they don’t differentiate between elite warriors and lovely chaff. That said, I am pretty surprised that we have the largest armies.

So, what have we learned? Bogarus, as I’ve suspected for a while now, is the greatest threat to the world. He’s huge, has excellent research, and the best gem income. Pangaea is also huge but doesn’t have the blood and astral magic paths that make Bogarus so scary. Truth be told, I am a little grumpy about Bogarus’ luck here. Not to knock Bogarus’ player, but he hasn’t had to engage in an actual real war the entire game. Ulm went AI early on and Bogarus scavenged Ulmish land without risk, and then when he finished with Ulm it was just in time for Ragha to go AI [ED Note: Whoops, looks like I forgot to note when Ragha went AI. It happened a couple of turns ago. Ragha was not, AFAIWA, losing a war. The player just decided to quit like a wussy.], and Bogarus is now eating dead Ragha lands. Hrmph.

In terms of battles there were no huge and decisive ones this turn. Man put another Pangaean fort under siege, and I expect Pan to have regrouped and be swinging back at Man shortly.

Our rescuing forces finally liberated our fortress in White Peaks from the shadow and shade army that had been sieging it:

And as I suspected Man didn’t immediately attack us again in Knobville. He hit us in…Camia?

A mighty Mannish army of Magisters, Knights, Wardens, and...woodland creatures.

We're under siege in Camia!

I was hoping Man would attack the trap we’d lain for him Blackdale, north of Camia. Blackdale had few troops visible on the map, but also 3 Yeddeoni ready to Earthquake anybody who showed up. Camia had a huge force of crossbows and Levites sitting inside its fortress, which is where they are now: under siege.

Also, take a look at what has shown up in Man’s province of Solam, adjacent to our sieging army in Knobville:

:stare:

That’s a 600-700 strong army of longbows and knights and Magisters, yowza. We are going to have a real fight on our hands in Knobville soon I expect.

So, here’s what we are doing: We are reinforcing our sieging army in Knobville with more Vampire Lords and one A2 Enchantress. The Enchantress is going to cast a wonderful spell called Arrow Fend, which will give every one of our units on the field Air Shield. That will -drastically- negate the effectiveness of Man’s longbows. Six Vampire Lords will spam skeletons and one will cast one of our new spells: Rigor Mortis.

In Camia we are going to break Man’s siege and break his army as well. Three Vampire Lords and 15 lesser Vampires are flying to attack Man’s sieging force. They will be the screening force for three Yeddeoni equipped to cast Earthquake, who will sally out and lay waste and ruin upon Man’s forces in round two of the battle. Hopefully we kill every one of his mages and most everything else as well.

Next turn is going to be interesting. If we can pull off significant victories, we may break Man enough to have a much easier path to his capitol. And we -need- to beat Man quickly. If we want to have a prayer of a chance to win this game we need more land for more money for more mages, more temples, more research and more blood slaves.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ragha must have literally started as far away from you as he possibly could have this game because according to those graphs he hasn't actually been doing that badly, and yet and your neighbor Caelum still haven't seen a single sign of them.

Also, glancing at the player list, all I can begrudgingly note is that the same player AIed a few turns back in another game where he wasn't doing particularly badly - and also playing a relatively powerful nation.

How are u posted:

In Camia we are going to break Man’s siege and break his army as well. Three Vampire Lords and 15 lesser Vampires are flying to attack Man’s sieging force. They will be the screening force for three Yeddeoni equipped to cast Earthquake, who will sally out and lay waste and ruin upon Man’s forces in round two of the battle. Hopefully we kill every one of his mages and most everything else as well.

I'm going to be incredibly amused if when you attack him he opens up with Fog Warriors or Mass Flight. Judging by what he's cast so far it doesn't look likely, but that research has to be going somewhere. On that note, with how easy he's had it Bogarus has probably just had a bunch of his mages spamming firebirds instead of doing research, since nothing was particularly pressing for him.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 20, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Caelum Time :siren:

Caelum Turn 49

Operation Ocean Siege continues, some spiders die and I speculate about the horrible, horrible end Mictlan will soon face. And I'm starting one of many experiments to see who is the ultimate warrior: The Pale Ones or Jomon's Shark Warriors. All those experiments will end the same way, but I will learn nothing.

I'm a slow learner.

This link is a time machine. Klick it!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Do events count as income for the graphs?

Because if they don't, uh...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

They sure doooo~ooon't.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Dominion LPs are the best LPs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

my dad posted:

Ramc posted:

They sure doooo~ooon't.

I'm sure everything is gonna be just fine, guys.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I'm sure everything is gonna be just fine, guys.

We know he made it to turn 75, I just assume he's instantly dom killed on 76.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm loving this LP, it's a good mix of informational and semi-narrative stuff, and the explanations really help for someone who's never played Dominions (like me).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

I'm loving this LP, it's a good mix of informational and semi-narrative stuff, and the explanations really help for someone who's never played Dominions (like me).

Thanks friend! :hf:

I'm glad people are enjoying it. There's at least 26 more turns to go before instant dom-death!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is it worthwhile to prophet immortals? When they die and respawn do they still stay a prophet, lose it, and most importantly do I get that prophet status back later?

Ideally in this situation an army of televangelist vampires.

Preid
May 22, 2014

How are u posted:

We cast Scapegoats a few times, summon more wolves, summon two more Vampire Lords (Ham and Shem), and find a single +1W site through searching.

I don't know why but that one line inspired me to create a horrible MS paint... thing. I am terribly sorry for posting this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Oh, pleafe, blood faufagef are for rubef. Only frefh blood will do for Count Porkula.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Orv posted:

I'm rooting for Howareu purely by virtue of my lust for unnecessarily long Dom LPs.

I'm in the same position by virtue of being terrified at the thought of actually playing this game, but I love reading LPs of it.

also does someone have the text for what OTHER players see when you cast Eyes of God? All the globals get really cool flavor text but the caster doesn't get to see it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's actually a specific spell, the only function of which is to blind the mage maintaining Eyes of God. Although, what happens after someone gets eog up is they link the graphs so people can dogpile the leader.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

wiegieman posted:

There's actually a specific spell, the only function of which is to blind the mage maintaining Eyes of God. Although, what happens after someone gets eog up is they link the graphs so people can dogpile the leader.

Please tell me the name of that spell is "mote."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

Please tell me the name of that spell is "mote."
It's actually 'Fate of Oedipus' which is pretty metal in a hellenic way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
...Now I have to make a Dom LP just to make a bad joke.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I, for one, welcome our new bird overlords.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I love this lp so much.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Preid posted:

I don't know why but that one line inspired me to create a horrible MS paint... thing. I am terribly sorry for posting this.

:lol: Thanks friend!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Orv posted:

...Now I have to make a Dom LP just to make a bad joke.

This is how most Dom games get started to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

AfroSquirrel posted:

This is how most Dom games get started to be fair.

"Yo what if I just mass Turkeys?"
"Hey, there's some pretty good jokes I could make with these names."
"...I think I can cast Burden of Time in less than twenty turns."
"Ha, the spreading insanity of 'Free-Market Capitalism'. Classic."
"I wonder what happens if every province in a nation is at maximum unrest."
"What if you got to build your own nation?"
"Draft games are fun. Wait. What if I got to build EVERYONE ELSE'S nation?"

• Locked thread