Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

PsychicToaster posted:

Christ, another beta? Really?

Been playing Shards Online instead. They've fixed the input lag and overall lag from months ago and it is now a perfectly playable early access game. It's well on the way to being the UO successor people wanted. Community has grown a lot too.

I spent all night finding macroers, opening portals on top of them, and sending them to my bind point in a dungeon to gently caress up their macroing. It was pretty drat funny. Felt like a real sandbox, not the "have fun with the game's permission" style gameplay of AO. The fun doubled when I figured out that opening another portal would teleport the macroer to wherever I was, because they would be standing in the exact place my portal opens to and all it takes to go through one is to be touching it.

So I began porting them outside of the guard zone and murdering them.

I tried shards but it had a terrible UI and advancement wasn't very fun. Has that changed? What's the population like now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

PsychicToaster posted:

Christ, another beta? Really?

Been playing Shards Online instead. They've fixed the input lag and overall lag from months ago and it is now a perfectly playable early access game. It's well on the way to being the UO successor people wanted. Community has grown a lot too.

I spent all night finding macroers, opening portals on top of them, and sending them to my bind point in a dungeon to gently caress up their macroing. It was pretty drat funny. Felt like a real sandbox, not the "have fun with the game's permission" style gameplay of AO. The fun doubled when I figured out that opening another portal would teleport the macroer to wherever I was, because they would be standing in the exact place my portal opens to and all it takes to go through one is to be touching it.

So I began porting them outside of the guard zone and murdering them.

But how many skeletons did you have to grind to cast portal?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

CubicalSucrose posted:

Secondly, are there gems in Shards Online, and if yes, how many types of gems are there for me to farm?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
all i remember was horrendous netcode and rubberbanding everywhere

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Zero posted:

all i remember was horrendous netcode and rubberbanding everywhere

thats much better

the UI is still balls tho.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

2DCAT posted:

Secondly, are there gems in Shards Online, and if yes, how many types of gems are there for me to farm?

Unless they have double black diamonds I'm not down.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

Hopefully zero, just cast spells on yourself or psychic lied to us and its the successor we want.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
The UI is temporary. The game is being optimized next patch which should be out sometime during the last week of December, along with some other updates. Far more playable now, although this week the servers might be getting DDOS'd. Fix is in the works.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
i've been coming into this thread every once in a while to look if it's out of beta yet and if it's gotten a better response in development, keep trying to find that old UO fix without going to play UO again.

This shard online peaked my interested but still will probably just be another shadowbane flop.

Guessing Albion won't do any better either.. :(

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Guessing Albion won't do any better either.. :(

albion is really good sandbox wise but there are a couple of minor flaws that have a major adverse impact on the game, if those are fixed this game will be tons of fun.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

albion is really good sandbox wise but there are a couple of minor flaws that have a major adverse impact on the game, if those are fixed this game will be tons of fun.

Such as being released before 2068. Seriously, the game was fun for awhile, but after all the incompetence the developers have displayed over their 5 year development and testing phase does not lead me to believe they'll be any more capable of maintaining the game in the future than they are developing it. They've wasted countless man-hours and currency redesigning their game almost from the ground up. They clearly lack a defined plan of action, which has been evident over the last year or two of testing. The "final beta, just kidding" poo poo leads me to believe that Bercilak is taking game development advice from M. Night Shyamalan, only the bad twists aren't really twists, they're just someone coming along to blast an airhorn in your face whenever you get too comfortable.

Shards has yet to show whether it'll be a crapshoot or not, but at the very least they're not constantly telling their players "it's almost done! 3 months of testing and then release!" and they instead work toward fixing things before delivering too much new content. A lot has changed, a lot has yet to change, but given how long it took for the game to go from nearly unplayable to delivering more content than any other pre-release game I've ever played(Less than six months), I am willing to bet it'll do just fine.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 16, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

One of the best things would be to sell AO to a more established company. Hell even a Korean MMO cash grab company could make something fun and playable with the assets.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

What is this crap?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
AO was the best MOBA game that required MMO grind I've ever played.

And by best I mean worst. It took the worst parts of both genres and blended them into a poo poo smoothie for me to choke down.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
albion is hamstrung by the fact that basic design decisions were made around it being playable in tablets / mobile devices

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

eonwe posted:

albion is hamstrung by the fact that basic design decisions were made around it being playable in tablets / mobile devices

hamstring op

forge
Feb 26, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L46yfEU40vU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sounds ok I guess. World looks better and more organic which was definitely a problem. Not convinced it'll make a big difference at this point though.

Also video was super boring. I stopped watching less than halfway through.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
The art style has never been a problem. It's always been good in my eyes. The problem arises when the devs ignore simple math, leading towards huge power discrepancies. That and not enough gems and skeltals.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2DCAT posted:

The art style has never been a problem. It's always been good in my eyes. The problem arises when the devs ignore simple math, leading towards huge power discrepancies. That and not enough gems and skeltals.

they have really bizarre ideas on what constitutes fun. they talk about thing they are going to do, people tell them why its bad, they do it anyway, then they back it out when its bad and try something else

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

eonwe posted:

4 abilities on an extremely long GCD makes for...riveting gameplay. :smuggo:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I remember this poo poo gently caress game and my goon friends that played (got banned) from it. Hiya!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
this is a good game, i can't wait until it comes out in a couple of years

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

eonwe posted:

they have really bizarre ideas on what constitutes fun. they talk about thing they are going to do, people tell them why its bad, they do it anyway, then they back it out when its bad and try something else

It's like they can't resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel over and over, instead of realizing that most of the people bought the game because they are simply looking for a modernized UO that works relatively well, and not because of "Oh how neat, MMMOBA! and I can do all that while in the bathroom taking a dump".

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pigbottom posted:

It's like they can't resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel over and over, instead of realizing that most of the people bought the game because they are simply looking for a modernized UO that works relatively well, and not because of "Oh how neat, MMMOBA! and I can do all that while in the bathroom taking a dump".

Tablet support is just awkward, I have a laptop if I really want to game while pooping, but I really don't. If I tried to PvP in this while pooping I'd end up not pooping. If I was crafting I could just AFK craft it on my desktop while I poop and browse the forums on my tablet.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

pixaal posted:

Tablet support is just awkward, I have a laptop if I really want to game while pooping, but I really don't. If I tried to PvP in this while pooping I'd end up not pooping. If I was crafting I could just AFK craft it on my desktop while I poop and browse the forums on my tablet.

My fetish is literally skeltal grinding while pooping. Pls don't kink shame, tia

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

2DCAT posted:

My fetish is literally skeltal grinding while pooping. Pls don't kink shame, tia

"so easy a caveman could do it"

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
The irony is I would totally play this as a poop game, to bad thats not an option so its just a bad game instead.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Player Vs Player pooping. The idea has potential.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Player Vs Player pooping. The idea has potential.

Is it a speed race? Girth, length, weight? Or is it who can hold it there longest? Maybe foulest smell?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey guys - thought I'd check in and see if anyone thought this was worth a re-install, I played with Yum. Seems like it's still hosed. It did lead to a good night drinking with Bukowski. Man I just want a PvP MMO that isn't EVE.

E; also these fuckers aren't still planning on mobile support are they? That's a terrible idea. Harebrained wisely shot their tablet versions for Shadowrun and that's a pure PvE single player RPG.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 15, 2017

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey guys - thought I'd check in and see if anyone thought this was worth a re-install, I played with Yum. Seems like it's still hosed. It did lead to a good night drinking with Bukowski. Man I just want a PvP MMO that isn't EVE.

E; also these fuckers aren't still planning on mobile support are they? That's a terrible idea. Harebrained wisely shot their tablet versions for Shadowrun and that's a pure PvE single player RPG.

I think I'm still hungover from that night. Goddamn Writer's Tears man. I definitely got off at the wrong stop, I was absolutely hosed.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

gotta wait for the next final beta, that's when the server's population will get above 115 at peak

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think I'm still hungover from that night. Goddamn Writer's Tears man. I definitely got off at the wrong stop, I was absolutely hosed.

Yeah I got on the wrong train. Good drinking. Although I'd forgotten what the whisky was called, going to find some of that and try it without loading 10 drinks prior.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

squirrelzipper posted:

Man I just want a PvP MMO that isn't EVE.

yeah man exactly

forge
Feb 26, 2006
There will be a reset in a month or so. There are a few of us who will play again since some of the combat was changed which changes the overall meta. So if you are interested in that. Just keep checking in on the thread and we'll be posting when we play again.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

forge posted:

There will be a reset in a month or so. There are a few of us who will play again since some of the combat was changed which changes the overall meta. So if you are interested in that. Just keep checking in on the thread and we'll be posting when we play again.

Which beta is this now?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

Which beta is this now?

the final beta before the final beta

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

forge posted:

Are they gonna wipe again after the reset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

At some point in time, everything gets wiped.

• Locked thread