Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Strategic Shoggoth Reserve.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Postage stamp from 1940 portraying Chile's Antractic claims:

Most of this territory is contested by Britain and / or Argentina thanks to the Falklands.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kainser posted:

The Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego:

What's the tiny island way the gently caress off to the right that I thought was my screen being dirty at first?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
That's actually part of a group of islands, I don't know why this map doesn't reflect that though, it's the South Sandwich Islands.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The most politically loaded thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805435

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wonderful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Skaggerak and Kattegat should be part of a sea. They're not narrow enough to be a strait or a channel. It's not right! North Sea or Baltic one or the other!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Budzilla posted:

Well Thatcher was considering to hand back the Falklands 2 years before the invasion. If the people of Gibraltar want independence or to join Spain they can. Although neither of those things will ever happen because the status quo is a much more attractive (and popular) prospect.

Well the status quo is changing whether the gibraltarians like it or not.

Gibraltarites?
Gibraltese?
Gibronies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Senor Dog posted:

Gibraltarites?
Gibraltese?
Gibronies
Llanitos

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Skaggerak and Kattegat should be part of a sea. They're not narrow enough to be a strait or a channel. It's not right! North Sea or Baltic one or the other!
Kattegat is its own sea.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Candyasses?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Dog posted:

Well the status quo is changing whether the gibraltarians like it or not.

Gibraltarites?
Gibraltese?
Gibronies

Prudentials.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kattegat is its own sea.

Debatable.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's basically just a Rock anyway

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Budzilla posted:

Well Thatcher was considering to hand back the Falklands 2 years before the invasion. If the people of Gibraltar want independence or to join Spain they can. Although neither of those things will ever happen because the status quo is a much more attractive (and popular) prospect.

Hand back to...? France?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Hand back to...? France?

Morocco, have you not been reading the thread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Negrostrike posted:

Hand back to...? France?

The Sea

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's time for the Monday Maplete Challenge, kiddos!

Is this map fictional or real? If you think it is real, what year do you think it depicts? Explain your reasoning.

This map is real, depicting Russian controlled-Alaska, also known as Russian America. However, because it includes "Idaho," a totally meaningless made-up word which was invented by an eccentric lobbyist as a name for territory under American control, we know that it must be made after Americans had gained control of the territory in question. Thus, we can conclude that this map is from the future. Specifically, somewhere around 2030.

twoday fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 17, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twoday posted:

Is this map fictional or real? If you think it is real, what year do you think it depicts? Explain your reasoning.

Well I would say that it depicts current Russian claims because that’s the most amusing possibility, but Mexican California argues against that.

If it’s based on a real time period, it has to be between the Oregon Treaty in 1846 and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Speaking of future maps of the US:

Futurama, "Bendin' in the Wind". Utah's name is Human Farm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of future maps of the US:

Futurama, "Bendin' in the Wind". Utah's name is Human Farm.

Is that the path the Yellowstone Hotspot traces on the North American Plate?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Platystemon posted:

Well I would say that it depicts current Russian claims because that’s the most amusing possibility, but Mexican California argues against that.

If it’s based on a real time period, it has to be between the Oregon Treaty in 1846 and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848.

Didn't the Oregon Treaty give most of Columbia to America? "Canada's southern border should have been across the river from Portland" is a thing Vancouver social studies teachers rammed into my head.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Didn't the Oregon Treaty give most of Columbia to America? "Canada's southern border should have been across the river from Portland" is a thing Vancouver social studies teachers rammed into my head.

Which Vancouver? The one in WA was the original settlement until large numbers of American settlers came into the Wilamette valley and the brits left for BC.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Morocco, have you not been reading the thread?

I mean the Falklands. They were never Argentine territory as far as I know.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I was going by the existence of the forty‐ninth parallel border.

The map depicts Russian territory as extending to the Golden Gate, but they sold Fort Ross in 1842 :shrug:.

Though not yet called that. “Golden Gate” was coined by John C. Frémont in 1846.

quote:

Russian historians assert the sum was never paid; therefore, legal title of the settlement was never transferred to Sutter and still belongs to the Russian people.

Wikipedia has a citation, but I’m not going to look too hard for a 2004 article in a Russian revisionist history journal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Negrostrike posted:

I mean the Falklands. They were never Argentine territory as far as I know.

Argentina's claim is based on the short time Spain controlled the islands, after the French and before the British. Since their claim on the rest of their territory is based on what Spain controlled in the past, it's not that crazy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ron Jeremy posted:

Which Vancouver? The one in WA was the original settlement until large numbers of American settlers came into the Wilamette valley and the brits left for BC.

I'm aware... The American influx/British exodus happened after the Oregon Treaty, and is the only reason why there are two Vancouvers. Fort Vancouver was a Hudson's Bay Company outpost, like most Canadian cities.

And asking which Vancouver is like saying "Paris, Texas?" btw.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Platystemon posted:

I was going by the existence of the forty‐ninth parallel border.

The map depicts Russian territory as extending to the Golden Gate, but they sold Fort Ross in 1842 :shrug:.

Though not yet called that. “Golden Gate” was coined by John C. Frémont in 1846.

Wikipedia has a citation, but I’m not going to look too hard for a 2004 article in a Russian revisionist history journal.

The 49th parallel border shown on the map was agreed upon in 1818. Columbia on the west coast was exempted until 1846.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 17, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The 49th parallel border shown on the map was agreed upon in 1818. Columbia on the west coast was exempted until 1846.

Oh right.

I had repressed memories of the Mitchell Map.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

fishmech posted:

Argentina's claim is based on the short time Spain controlled the islands, after the French and before the British. Since their claim on the rest of their territory is based on what Spain controlled in the past, it's not that crazy.

Spain never had control or even claimed SGSSI or the South Orkneys, though.

That said, sovereignty is a weird thing. According to the UN, there is one part of Europe that should be "decolonised", because Britain never did the whole "totally an integral part of the country" thing to the scale that France and Spain did.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

According to the UN, there is one part of Europe that should be "decolonised", because Britain never did the whole "totally an integral part of the country" thing to the scale that France and Spain did.
Is it Wales? :v:

Topically, it's Gibraltar.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spain actually did a pretty poor job of that.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Spain actually did a pretty poor job of that.

Well, imagine that you sleep in the metro, in a long travel, and when you awake theres a hobo claiming your foot is now his property.

I have mostly to applaud UK love for subrealism to take that part of spain for themselves. Bravo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I'm aware... The American influx/British exodus happened after the Oregon Treaty, and is the only reason why there are two Vancouvers. Fort Vancouver was a Hudson's Bay Company outpost, like most Canadian cities.

And asking which Vancouver is like saying "Paris, Texas?" btw.

To be fair in the Pacific Northwest it is a 100% reasonable statement. Also again Transriver Portland was founded and incorporated first so the difference between Vancouver and Vancouver isn't one aping the bigger city.

twoday posted:

This map is real, depicting Russian controlled-Alaska, also known as Russian America. However, because it includes "Idaho," a totally meaningless made-up word which was invented by an eccentric lobbyist as a name for territory under American control, we know that it must be made after Americans had gained control of the territory in question. Thus, we can conclude that this map is from the future. Specifically, somewhere around 2030.

Columbia has more people than everything else on that map combined.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Interactive Time-Lapse Map Shows How the U.S. Took More Than 1.5 Billion Acres From Native Americans

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
and then the ones that were left all started voting Republican

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jack2142 posted:

To be fair in the Pacific Northwest it is a 100% reasonable statement. Also again Transriver Portland was founded and incorporated first so the difference between Vancouver and Vancouver isn't one aping the bigger city.

Vancouver WA was a British/Canadian Hudson's Bay Company fort. Hudson's Bay Company was THE government for Canada at the time, with its own army and laws etc like the East India Company, so you can't think of it as just as a Canadian business either. It was as much part of Canada as anything.

Vancouver BC exists as a major city only because of the Oregon Treaty. If our British overlords gave a poo poo about the PNW, the Columbia River was the obvious border choice and Vancouver WA would have been the jewel of western Canada with 2+ million people, especially considering that Vancouver BC is sadly the only place in Canada for people who don't want to freeze to death for six months per year.

Vancouver BC in this alternate reality would still exist due to the importance of the Fraser River, probably as a smaller city with a different name. Seattle would also be significantly smaller/less important.

And of course George Vancouver was a post-American revolution British explorer, probably not something Americans would call a settlement while simultaneously also erasing anything named after the British royalty.

Edit: if you wanna see the west coast Canadian view of history in more detail, check out Kumtuks on YouTube. Very different from the American or even east coast Canadian view, arguably saying Columbia would have been better off as a separate, more liberal/progressive country. Although I guess a lot of Americans would say the same about their west coast these days.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART