Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think maybe FX is going to have Jonathan Pryce yell "loving" at least once a week in Taboo.

I approve.

Edit:

Wow, gently caress count hit 6 before the first commercial break. I'm actually surprised FX is going for it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

It's from the guy behind Better Off Ted so I'm probably gonna watch the entire season off of that pedigree alone.

Did you also watch the entirety of Sean Saves The World off of that pedigree alone?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's on FX in the states? i figured it'd be a bbc america thing/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rocksicles posted:

it's on FX in the states? i figured it'd be a bbc america thing/

It's not actually produced by the BBC, so I'm sure it was sold to whatever network big highest for it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Just finished season 1 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Holy poo poo, now I know why it ranked so high in the TVIV list. It was a wild ride and I'm so glad I have this season to catch up with. Had it ended the way it did Season 1, I would have been so pissed. Suck it cancellation bear, CW kept this poo poo going.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What have we got on tv these days that's in the spirit of Justified?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rhyno posted:

Sneaky Pete, Outsiders, Longmire.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Graham Yost is the showrunner on Sneaky Pete (starting with episode two I think), and it also has Margo Martindale.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

The Mick is great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

Yeah it's a good show. I was pretty surprised because the premise kind of sucks but they're going suitably dark with it to make it work.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Once you make it through the first half season of Longmire it starts getting good. Then all the rest of the seasons are of increasing quality.

Edit: And not that the beginning is terrible, it's just mediocre-procedural-y.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's a necessary setup though, you kinda need the boring day-to-day foundation of Longmire's current life to set the stage for everything that comes after (and before). Taking so long to set it is a downside of serialization, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Quarry, maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Graham Yost is the showrunner on Sneaky Pete (starting with episode two I think), and it also has Margo Martindale.

Sold.

Already watched that and it doesn't seem likely to get a second season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just watched the first two episodes of Series of Unfortunate Events and have no idea what the show is going to be about now. They could've stretched that out to season if so inclined.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Series of Unfortunate Events and have no idea what the show is going to be about now. They could've stretched that out to season if so inclined.

Stretching a 162 page book into a whole season would be quite a feat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lycus posted:

As someone who's read the books, in a way, they do!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I got bored with Person of Interest towards the end of season 1 because it was getting pretty formulaic, is it worth picking up again?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Overall it's a forgettable series even though it does improve in season 2. There's better stuff to watch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched more if TSoUE and it immediately got a bit better after the second episode. Just finished the seventh episode now and lol I had completely forgotten about the Quagmires. Well played, show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Sold.

Did you enjoy it/Did it wrap up sort of? Pilot was alright, I wasn't super compelled to start the 2nd episode.

EDIT: Cool thanks, I'll give it another shot.

Julio Cruz posted:

I got bored with Person of Interest towards the end of season 1 because it was getting pretty formulaic, is it worth picking up again?
The showrunners were still tricking CBS into thinking they paid for a Procedural at that point, season 2 ramps up the mythos a lot more, so if you were into the AI stuff it only gets heavier from S2 onward.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 18, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

Did you enjoy it/Did it wrap up sort of? Pilot was alright, I wasn't super compelled to start the 2nd episode.

I very much enjoyed it. There is som incredibly graphic poo poo in the finale so be prepared for that. As for wrapping up, there's numerous plot threads left without closure as they were clearly planning on a second season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That sucks! Quarry was awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I watched more if TSoUE and it immediately got a bit better after the second episode.

I told ya

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Season 2 adds a dog and several of the show's best characters, fulfills several plot lines started in the first season in surprisingly awesome ways, expands the dynamic of the central group, and is generally a lot funnier and better than season 1.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Mick is great.

I still can't get over the teenage girl is 25.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Looten Plunder posted:

That sucks! Quarry was awesome.

It really was. It hasn't officially been passed on yet as far as I know but it doesn't look likely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Rhyno posted:

Sold.

Sneaky Pete is amazing and feels like a spiritual successor to Justified. So many cast members (Famed character actress Margo Martindale, Boyd's girlfriend Mara, Coover, and I think at least one more that I'm forgetting right now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bryan Cranston... playing a stone badass. Don't forget that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm on leave from work for the rest of the week so I figure I can knock out the entire series.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Thank you, guys, for getting my rear end on The Mick. I was going to pass after Sepinwall's unenthusiastic review of it, but the first two episodes are great, and the third, "The Buffer," is off the loving rails for a network sitcom. I was won over the minute Mick's skeezy boyfriend started talking about how the age of consent was 16 in Connecticut.

EDIT: The best part is how the two older kids kinda suck in their own ways, so it's kind of satisfying to see them eat poo poo whenever Mick gets involved.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 19, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, we know that season 2 of American Crime Story will be about the aftermath of Katrina, and Ryan Murphy has said the third will be about the murder of Gianni Versace. Today, it was announced that the producers have optioned the book A Vast Conspiracy.

It's about the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think I like where this is going

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

It's subtle, but if you really listen...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Sneaky Pete is amazing and feels like a spiritual successor to Justified. So many cast members (Famed character actress Margo Martindale, Boyd's girlfriend Mara, Coover, and I think at least one more that I'm forgetting right now.

I've only seen the first 1.5 episodes but Detective Tim is another Justified Alumn.

It's also a bit of a "The Wire" love fest as well with plenty of familiar faces appearing in this as well.

It was also awesome to see Martha again.

Rocksicles posted:

Wasn't aware Cranston was in Justified

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Looten Plunder posted:

I've only seen the first 1.5 episodes but Detective Tim is another Justified Alumni

Duh that's the obvious one I was forgetting, thanks. Seeing him and Margo, then Coover pop up made me look and realize Yost was behind the show.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Duh that's the obvious one I was forgetting, thanks. Seeing him and Margo, then Coover pop up made me look and realize Yost was behind the show.

Forgotten just like the writers did in Justified :)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The producing director on Sneaky Pete is Michael Dinner, and episodes 3 and 4 were written by Fred Golan and Benjamin Cavell, respectively. And Adam Arkin stepped in to direct Episode 6. Those guys were a huge part of Yost's Justified braintrust, if not THE braintrust; if you liked Justified, it's a good bet you'll be into Sneaky Pete.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first episode of SP is pretty fantastic. I'm really impressed with Giovanni Ribisi, he's a joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Timby posted:

So, we know that season 2 of American Crime Story will be about the aftermath of Katrina, and Ryan Murphy has said the third will be about the murder of Gianni Versace. Today, it was announced that the producers have optioned the book A Vast Conspiracy.

It's about the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

15 years from now we'll be getting some Trump-based miniseries and I already hate everything.

• Locked thread