Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Stuntman posted:

How many funko toys do you have on display right now?

Funko is trash and belongs in a dumpster with other trash, much like my posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stuntman posted:

How many funko toys do you have on display right now?

None. Funkopop is garbage art.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Art is whatever the people in the Something Awful Funny Forums Quotes thread say it is, and don't you forget it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Are finger paints toys or art? Asking for a friend.

The activity is a toy, the result is art.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Games are art like telephones are conversations

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't know art, but I know what I like, and what I like is making rows of blocks disappear

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't know art, but I know what I like, and what I like is making rows of blocks disappear

Ban this sick filth.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Screaming Idiot posted:

Isn't that the plot to tribute.wmv

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What if I give a child a tiny statue and they play with it? What then?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Baby 1: Goo goo ga ga.

Baby 2: [Shits audibly into nappy]

Me: You see this, this right here, is why I don't like to admit I watch the Teletubbies. I don't want to be lumped in with the absolute fuckwits that call themselves the series' fans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Paladinus posted:

What if I give a child a tiny statue and they play with it? What then?

Then it's broken art.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Okay, I'm going to get a bit personal here:

I'm an aspiring writer. I want to write fiction, and get paid for it. I want to see stuff with my name on it in book stores and libraries. I like writing, and like to think that I'm pretty good at it.

So when you jokingly compared my narrative sensibilities to George Lucas's (and I think we all know which of his movies you're referencing) I got offended. You might have meant that as a joke, but it's not funny to me. You're not just making fun of my opinion, you're making fun of a core part of who I am.

But hey, you got a chuckle out this, and that's all that really matters, right?

Screw you, you goddamn troll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

This was an incredible moment. And people say Cinema Discusso isn't worth reading. Well, it really isn't, but sometimes you get stuff like this and it's just barely passable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sir Potato posted:

This was an incredible moment. And people say Cinema Discusso isn't worth reading. Well, it really isn't, but sometimes you get stuff like this and it's just barely passable.

swing and a miss

little munchkin posted:

I assumed it would be from a discussion in the writing subforum (or perhaps the book subforum) because the poster is a writer and talks about how much writing means to them, but like every other discussion that has ever occured in the history of something awful, it takes place within the context of watching someone else play video games

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sir Potato posted:

That's not CineD my friend

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You just know this guy is gonna be the worst writer. Lesson one for writing: you are not your writing. If you take critique of your work personally rather than as the piece of work it is, you'll almost certainly never make good. Anyway I'm an aspiring artist and I'll be submitting my visual novel on Steam soon, so look forward to that.

e: wait does Steam have an "Art" category??

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Alaois posted:

swing and a miss

That's what I get for trying to contribute to the funny forums quotes thread. :(

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I guess for context, the original posts he got made fun of for. it's amazing how poorly he reacted to people not liking his attempted rewrite of a story based on no evidence.

Clarste posted:

It's pretty obvious that they aren't related because Evelyn clearly knows who Cassandra Morgan is and gave no indication whatsoever that they might be related.

Apep727 posted:

While that's true, Cassandra being Evelyn's granddaughter would have made some sense. It would explain how Cassandra's journals ended up in Evelyn's house, and her sudden change of heart upon learning that Nate and Sam are her kids. Yes, having them just be colleagues also works, but also continues to highlight Evelyn's failure - she might be rich and famous, but at the cost of her family. Having Cassandra be Evelyn's granddaughter allows for her to have learned from her mistakes, and connected with what family she had.

As for why Papa Morgan didn't drop Sam and Nate off with Evelyn (assuming he didn't die suddenly), as well as why he sent her journals to Evelyn instead of keeping them, it's possible that he got sick of Cassandra's obsession, and wanted to keep their kids away from it as much as possible (though, clearly that didn't work). Again, we only have Sam's interpretation of events - he may have only seen his mom taking them around the world on cool adventures, not that she was constantly uprooting her family ("why bother [unpacking]? We'll just be gone in a month."). And that would again echo the general theme of the game - people wrecking their lives because of their obsessions, rather than finding contentment with their current status.

Apep727 posted:

Let me clarify - it would be a better explanation for how her stuff ended up there. Yes, they were proteges, but I think Cassandra being Evelyn's daughter gives them more weight - she wasn't just someone Evelyn worked with, she was the only familial connection Evelyn had.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Apep727 is George Lucas.

Apep727 posted:

Fine. Whatever. I'm tired of arguing about this.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Apep727 is George Lucas.

Wow. gently caress you too, dude.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sir Potato posted:

That's what I get for trying to contribute to the funny forums quotes thread. :(

I was hoping somebody would take him to task for suggesting being in tight pants and a sports bra underwater would be enjoyable to the sister? like wtf? poo poo's gonna suck to take off if it's still wet and it reads like he believes women are like cumming in the water all the time if they have enough skin exposed to it i just don't get this, is there like a word filter at play in the OP's posts?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

I was hoping somebody would take him to task for suggesting being in tight pants and a sports bra underwater would be enjoyable to the sister? like wtf? poo poo's gonna suck to take off if it's still wet and it reads like he believes women are like cumming in the water all the time if they have enough skin exposed to it i just don't get this, is there like a word filter at play in the OP's posts?

It's either actual, for-real autism or a finely-calibrated troll from someone who has experience with ASD writing tendencies.

(Maybe he thinks women get pleasure from tight clothes??)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The way he describes it sounds a lot like the way my autistic cousin describes things: lots of extraneous details that he clearly seems to think are self-evidently relevant to what he's saying. That post is fascinating.

^^^^ what he said.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
That and the consistent mentions of times and timings, specifically his disrupted, unusual day-off schedule. I'm also guessing that he doesn't like to get wet, which is why skipping a shower is so noteworthy.

tbh I laughed pretty hard at "You want a detailed summary of what happened? Alright, here goes: [copy-pastes the exact same phrases]" because it's so typical

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

Of course, this is a completely legitimate concern. You raise this concern because you recognize that such underhanded dealings are also a significant threat to our current system, and significant resources go into addressing exactly these issues. So we'd expect significant resources to go into addressing the same problems in the Polytopolis.

I won't deny in any way that these are legitimate problems, and that significant resources will go into addressing issues like crime and violence in any human system. Since you read the thread you'll remember that I even admitted the Polytopolis might be less efficient than the system we have, in the sense of requiring the dedicated work of more people to complete the same governing task. So I'm fully up-front admitting that these are issues that require addressing.

Okay. I want you to put these concerns about crime on hold for just a second, and think about a structurally related issue in the Polytopolis: What's stopping people from having friends that aren't on Facebook? I mean, over half the world's population is on Facebook, so more likely than not your friends will be on FB. But some of them won't. How do you manage the task of social networking, when the network doesn't represent all the nodes? Facebook friends aren't a moral imperative like addressing crime is. But the task is structurally the same in the sense that the network is incomplete, and a "black market" of friendship exists which the network isn't able to fully track.

So how do we manage social networking with people not on FB? Well, lots of ways. We figure it out. We have a thousand other avenues of contact pre-FB, and we manage social networks by exploiting any tool we have to our advantage. In fact, I can sense you all rushing to hit post now and shout "THATS BECAUSE SOCIAL NETWORKS DONT DEPEND ON FACEBOOK ERIPSA". Yes, exactly. The social network organizes itself, and FB is a tool we have for managing pieces of it. It's useful for somethings, terrible for others, and is fundamentally a yolk of the corporate machine. My decisions on Facebook result in algorithmic categorizations for the purposes of targeted advertising. These demographic labels have nothing to do with who I am or what I endorse except the machine thinks it must be so because that's how money grows.

The Polytopolis proposes a new kind of structure for managing identities, one that is built on the premise that individuals should always have the option to exit the machine. Yes, it opens the possibility for some new social tensions. But look at where the tensions are in the system we have, and how poorly we are able to manage them now. Look at the places where the Polytopolis frees at least some of those tensions by simply letting people organize how they want, and by doing so claim a political stake. The Polytopolis doesn't stop crime from happening, but maybe it undermines some of the reasons to commit crimes in the first place. Crime is a serious issue, but not all crime is inevitable. Crimes are instances where the system didn't work for the people, one way or another. Some crimes are genuinely cases where the system failed the people at some step of the process. Instead of building a system expecting people will need to break it, why not try to build a system that maximally represents the people so they have as little need to break the rules as possible?

If you didn't catch it, my one semi-legitimate publication, Gaming the Attention Economy defines a concept called "Natural Human Computation". Lots of apps try to gamify certain tasks to generate incentive to perform a computation. In the paper, we argue that you can use the "natural human activity" (in the sense that they're not deliberately engaging with any app or game) in order to perform computational work. The idea is that a "game" the players are already involved in playing can't be gamed, by design, because the players would have no particular incentive to break the rules.

Of course, the Polytopolis is a specific game. But the idea is that the basic mechanics of the game (identifying with norm communities) is a game that people are already invested in playing. Just like social networking; facebook can piggyback on a task that people are already going to be doing anyway, FB or not. But you give them this fairly stupid app and they can coordinate all sorts of fancy warehouse parties and ice bucket challenges (or whatever) that were rather difficult to pull off otherwise. We still have no good insight into the topology and power of our networks. Facebook is modeled on a psychologically naive (semi-)symmetrical "friend" relationship that has brought us here to glorious 2017, kekkity kek

The Polytopolis bakes a much more deliberate identity-based organizational structure into the foundations of the system, which makes for a much wilder ride up the hierarchy. But the structure is built to do some much more serious organizing work. The images in my head of the polytopolis are all fractal fibers of muscle, expanding and contracting in beats.

I bet NONE of my critics have taken acid since the thread started.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am excited to see stock movement if Facebook added 2 billion users since their last results.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Heath posted:

The way he describes it sounds a lot like the way my autistic cousin describes things: lots of extraneous details that he clearly seems to think are self-evidently relevant to what he's saying. That post is fascinating.

Yeah, that whole thing really reads as someone who has limited or no theory of mind / can't parse that their audience doesn't have the same set of associations with their weird detail selection as they do. Either an autism spectrum disorder or a drat fine imitation.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Pick posted:

put cheesecake or maybe some swedish fish in her colon first so there's something good to fish out

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*Jon Jones drives past a rehab facility in the dead of night, turning his head slightly as it passes*

Dana White: He's cured

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

That last line is out of nowhere.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

That's an amazing red title, which Hamilton loving nerds did you piss off?

Someone in C-SPAM, so I honestly can't tell if they were doing an irony or not

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That last line is out of nowhere.
It explains everything that comes before it, though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

A Japanese fisherman just kicked down my door and hurled a harpoon through my monitor.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

morallyobjected posted:

I guess for context, the original posts he got made fun of for. it's amazing how poorly he reacted to people not liking his attempted rewrite of a story based on no evidence.

Wow. gently caress you too, dude.

I completely forgot this was in, of all threads, Chip's Uncharted 4 thread, and not CD. It's such a CD post.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
In response to someone complaining about TFR's cliqueish nature

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

actually it's not a clique, it's a magazine

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

you look like a roadie for system of a down and you have the personality of an intel 486 so pardon me if I don't think your self control is the main reason you're not swimming in strange

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

whoa

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And in reponse to that:

Karate Bastard posted:

Turn on your monitor

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Patrick Spens posted:

In response to someone complaining about TFR's cliqueish nature

That's p good

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I read monitor as "mother" when you first posted this here, it was like a weird sick self-deprecating my-momma joke

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

why does the martian manhunter need rehab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Machai posted:

why does the martian manhunter need rehab?

Oreos are addictive.