Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Question is, is her dishonorable discharge going to follow her past the name change (is her name even changed legally yet?)
legally, of course that's a yes

as a practical matter: anyone doing enough research on applicant "chelsea manning" who just submitted a resume to verify the circumstances of their seperation from the military already googled their name and found out exactly what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
She's a darling of the left and she's already an opinion writer at the guardian. There's a future for her in advocacy if she wants one.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Putting aside Manning being transgender, I still don't quite understand why so many conservative citizens have a hate-on for an anti-government whistleblower. If you already distrust the government, shouldn't someone who not only verifies that the government is untrustworthy, but also provides evidence supporting this be an ally, if not a hero?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If she had leaked dirt about evil liberals instead of are troops she'd be their hero.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
They are incapable of making the connection that "are troops" are gubmint.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JeffersonClay posted:

If she had leaked dirt about evil liberals instead of are troops she'd be their hero.

like new conservative hero, Julian Assange

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
But ARE TROOPS :bahgawd: are the ones you gotta get your guns ready to defend against during The Purge, right? I'm probably getting my factions confused, but... if you think you need small arms to defend against unconstitutional enforcement of martial law and the final erection of a tyrannical despot, then the people you're prepared to kill are state and federal troops.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Just remember Ollie North got a high-paying job on Fox News. So Manning won't find it too hard to find a media job.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

But ARE TROOPS :bahgawd: are the ones you gotta get your guns ready to defend against during The Purge, right? I'm probably getting my factions confused, but... if you think you need small arms to defend against unconstitutional enforcement of martial law and the final erection of a tyrannical despot, then the people you're prepared to kill are state and federal troops.

No. Are troops are the good boys. Liberals have a whole other secret army ready to kick in your door.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

bag em and tag em posted:

On one hand It's good but on the other she's being released into the wilds of Trump's America as a widely hated trans-person while her civil liberties are in extreme danger of being stripped away in an egregious fashion. I don't imagine her life going in a great direction.

I don't imagine she's going to move to Texas. If she lives in Seattle or Brooklyn or somewhere like that she's not going to get spat at in the street. However she's no doubt going to be hounded cruelly by the Paparazzi.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This is probably why they're all obsessed with the UN's black helicopters and secret storm troopers.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
She cant go live OVER THERE or she'll be lynched. But if she stays in a liberal haven she'll just be harrassed a lot. Sounds good.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

No. Are troops are the good boys. Liberals have a whole other secret army ready to kick in your door.

I... what?

evilweasel posted:

This is probably why they're all obsessed with the UN's black helicopters and secret storm troopers.

Oh, of course. This army.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I... what?

Oh, of course. This army.

Let the cognitive dissonance flow through you and wash away your doubts.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

She cant go live OVER THERE or she'll be lynched. But if she stays in a liberal haven she'll just be harrassed a lot. Sounds good.

Being harassed due to your identity is terrible and all trans people experience it. Unlike most, manning has a platform to fight back in the media and she could probably get paid to do so relatively easily. She's one of the most recognizable trans people in the country and is the perfect person to criticize Trump's coming poo poo show for Trans people.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

JeffersonClay posted:

Being harassed due to your identity is terrible and all trans people experience it. Unlike most, manning has a platform to fight back in the media and she could probably get paid to do so relatively easily. She's one of the most recognizable trans people in the country and is the perfect person to criticize Trump's coming poo poo show for Trans people.

If by perfect you mean the worst. We could do without a traitor as our loudest advocate to America.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JeffersonClay posted:

I doubt Trump is going to be trans-friendly, but one of the few minorities he doesn't seem to actively hate are gay people and I sort of assume he's just going to lump trans people into that mental category in his head too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Trump is too self-absorbed to give a poo poo but 100% of his lackees and appointees want every trans person in America dead and/or tortured.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

evilweasel posted:

I doubt Trump is going to be trans-friendly, but one of the few minorities he doesn't seem to actively hate are gay people and I sort of assume he's just going to lump trans people into that mental category in his head too.

He said something supportive of Caitlyn Jenner (a pal of his) once.

However, if he feels it will annoy Obama, he's quite capable of hounding an individual transperson to her grave.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Trump may grant your silly wish
I find it hilarious that to natsec people, the real horror of the Trump presidency is that he may stop bombing wedding parties.

Don't worry you sweet, sweet child, Trump isn't nearly principled enough to do that.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Thirtysomething republican state governments and attorney general Jeff sessions. Think about the bathroom bills with no federal pushback.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Let the cognitive dissonance flow through you and wash away your doubts.

I know I probably hold some similarly absurd beliefs that I simply just don't recognize as this batshit when considered side by side, yet... it's hard for me to figure out this perspective.

Obama's now commuted more sentences than any previous president. He's granted the relief of presidential clemency to 1,597 people. Yet his administration has prosecuted 8 cases for violations of the 1917 Espionage Act. Only 4 cases were prosecuted under that law before Obama took office.

Though he promised more protections for whistleblowers in his '08 campaign, passed the 2012 Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, and issued Presidential Policy Directive 19, which extended more protections to intelligence personnel, his 8 years seem to have been unusually brutal in terms of persecuting leaks. What really exacerbates the sense of this heavy-handedness is how unevenly those leaks were punished. Ranking insiders seem to have been shielded (Petraeus, anyone?), but nobodies like Snowden and Manning are publicly sacrificed. I don't know that the 8 years of this administration (if you can really say it's 8 continuous years of one administration, sitting president and veep aside) have actually been harder on whistleblowers, and I don't know if there's a reliable way to measure that, but it sure seems that way.

It never feels good to look at your government and see a commitment to protecting wrong-doers by punishing people who thought they were doing the right thing by publicizing misdeeds. I don't expect anything better from the Trump administration or any future administration, but it's also just insulting to see an administration receive eight years of having it both ways -- talking about transparency and justice while delivering little of either. If I've got a beef with President Obama, that's the heart of it.

welp that's my story, thanks

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Chomskyan posted:

I find it hilarious that to natsec people, the real horror of the Trump presidency is that he may stop bombing wedding parties.

Don't worry you sweet, sweet child, Trump isn't nearly principled enough to do that.

As we've seen in Syria, the alternatives for world (or regional) policeman have even less aversion to civilian casualties.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

JeffersonClay posted:

As we've seen in Syria, the alternatives for world (or regional) policeman have even less aversion to civilian casualties.

Trump doesn't sincerely want to bomb less people. He wants to justify why he's not doing anything when the Russian tanks sweep into Ukraine. He'll bomb just as much as he likes for whatever his *own* war turns out to be.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Just remember Ollie North got a high-paying job on Fox News. So Manning won't find it too hard to find a media job.

Considering her mental state, it's probably going to take a lot of time and treatment before she's willing to be out in the public eye. I'm sure she could easily be a writer if she chose to do so, but that'll be her choice.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

seiferguy posted:

Considering her mental state, it's probably going to take a lot of time and treatment before she's willing to be out in the public eye. I'm sure she could easily be a writer if she chose to do so, but that'll be her choice.

She's already written for the Guardian from prison, so I see no reason why she won't when released.

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/chelsea-e-manning

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

Trump doesn't sincerely want to bomb less people.

Trump has openly and proudly declared that he is 100% committed to bombing way more people so I don't even know what the argument is from that perspective.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

If by perfect you mean the worst. We could do without a traitor as our loudest advocate to America.

We could do with more Mannings and fewer "respect are flag" military transitioners, hth

Also treason has a specific legal definition.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Trump has openly and proudly declared that he is 100% committed to bombing way more people so I don't even know what the argument is from that perspective.

In this post-truth world, the truth is exactly what the speaker needs to believe at this precise moment.

I've heard it from a lot of Trump supporters that they voted Trump because they had been told Clinton planned to lead the USA into war against Russia.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

In this post-truth world, the truth is exactly what the speaker needs to believe at this precise moment.

I've heard it from a lot of Trump supporters that they voted Trump because they had been told Clinton planned to lead the USA into war against Russia.

Yeah I have heard the war with Russia bit. That's why all this stuff about Trump and his cabinet members having strong Russian ties is good, you see. Now certain death for us all has been averted.

China? Never heard of her.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

hillo posted:

I knew the genie would grant my wishes if I rubbed out enough.

*a finger on the monkey's paw closes*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What really exacerbates the sense of this heavy-handedness is how unevenly those leaks were punished. Ranking insiders seem to have been shielded (Petraeus, anyone?), but nobodies like Snowden and Manning are publicly sacrificed.

even if you think their leaks were justified there's no comparison regarding the scale of Snowden and Manning's leaks compared to, well, anyone besides Daniel Ellisberg and literal spies

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

On one hand It's good but on the other she's being released into the wilds of Trump's America as a widely hated trans-person while her civil liberties are in extreme danger of being stripped away in an egregious fashion. I don't imagine her life going in a great direction.

Should have thought about that before betraying her country.

Anyway I get the feeling she'll be feted by naive and stupid people.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

evilweasel posted:

even if you think their leaks were justified there's no comparison regarding the scale of Snowden and Manning's leaks compared to, well, anyone besides Daniel Ellisberg and literal spies

Snowden is a literal spy/defector.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

hakimashou posted:

Should have thought about that before betraying her country.

Anyway I get the feeling she'll be feted by naive and stupid people.

Even if she goes back to prison, there's this little thing called the Eighth Amendment…

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

hakimashou posted:

How so?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

hakimashou posted:

no

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

hakimashou posted:

It must be cool to be mentally stuck in the Cold War

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hakimashou posted:

Spying on your poo poo hole country is a moral act homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I know I probably hold some similarly absurd beliefs that I simply just don't recognize as this batshit when considered side by side, yet... it's hard for me to figure out this perspective.

Obama's now commuted more sentences than any previous president. He's granted the relief of presidential clemency to 1,597 people. Yet his administration has prosecuted 8 cases for violations of the 1917 Espionage Act. Only 4 cases were prosecuted under that law before Obama took office.

Though he promised more protections for whistleblowers in his '08 campaign, passed the 2012 Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, and issued Presidential Policy Directive 19, which extended more protections to intelligence personnel, his 8 years seem to have been unusually brutal in terms of persecuting leaks. What really exacerbates the sense of this heavy-handedness is how unevenly those leaks were punished. Ranking insiders seem to have been shielded (Petraeus, anyone?), but nobodies like Snowden and Manning are publicly sacrificed. I don't know that the 8 years of this administration (if you can really say it's 8 continuous years of one administration, sitting president and veep aside) have actually been harder on whistleblowers, and I don't know if there's a reliable way to measure that, but it sure seems that way.

It never feels good to look at your government and see a commitment to protecting wrong-doers by punishing people who thought they were doing the right thing by publicizing misdeeds. I don't expect anything better from the Trump administration or any future administration, but it's also just insulting to see an administration receive eight years of having it both ways -- talking about transparency and justice while delivering little of either. If I've got a beef with President Obama, that's the heart of it.

welp that's my story, thanks

You're confusing two different types of whistleblowing here, and the distinction is really, really important. There are whistleblowers who circumvent the normal chain of command and report suspected misconduct to a higher authority within the government, and there are whistleblowers who believe that something the government is doing is morally wrong and leak it openly to the public. The Whistleblower Protection Act, the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, PPD-19, and other whistleblower protection laws only protect the first kind of whistleblowing - they're meant to protect whistleblowers from being retaliated against by their superiors for reporting problems and misconduct to their supervisors' bosses. There isn't any US law, as far as I'm aware, that protects the second type of whistleblowing - as far as the US government is concerned, going public with classified information is always unacceptable. And honestly, that makes a lot of sense from the government's perspective. If secrecy laws stop applying as soon as someone who looks at the material feels it shouldn't be secret, then secrecy laws might as well not exist. Nobodies get cracked down on harder because there are over four million people with security clearances, which means it's a lot harder to keep watch on the nobodies than the top rankers, so the government makes examples of them because it knows there's no way it can handle a wave of copycat crimes.

Now, I realize there are people who think that government secrecy shouldn't exist at all, but that's an entirely separate discussion.

• Locked thread