Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rutibex posted:

There is some kind of "demon realm" somewhere that the cave in that episode presumably went? Dabura is from there I think. I don't think you actually get to ever see the "demon realm", but I guess it could be HFIL from the filler stuff. Dragonball is getting a lot of dimensions! I just kind of assume it works like D&D

That's actually really close, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

dr.acula posted:

Pretty sure they met in the living realm during Gohan's one day and it wasn't filler it was the final round of Baba's challenge

The other time they met was total filler though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's actually really close, lol

But.... Where is namek?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

reignofevil posted:

But.... Where is namek?

In the big orange "mortal universe" part.

I always figured that each Kaioshin had 5 Kaiois under them, not that there were only 5 Kaios in total, along with 5 Kaioshins, but that image seems to contradict that. If there's a Dai-Kaio who kind of presides over the 4 cardinal Kaios, what's the point of the Kaioshin?

Dragon Ball cosmology is weird. It's also kind of weird that there's a Hell AND a Demon Realm, but I suppose the Demon Realm is for strictly pure evil monsters, and Hell is just where bad mortal souls go to play around as little clouds for eternity.

Was it ever made canon that souls in Dragon Ball get "cleansed" and reincarnated? I mean, apart from Buu -->Uub.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Stairmaster posted:

its not

source: the black goku arc

Is this some sort of sick fuckin' joke???

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

So, Super Saiyan 4 Oozaru(Judging by size) Bojack. I swear I see the Majin M on his forehead too.

No worse than Super Demon 4 MiWa/ToRa/MiTo/whatever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reignofevil posted:

But.... Where is namek?

freeza blew it up

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/821789047039279104
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/821789763346657280

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why is he not a cat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

why is he not a cat

God of Destructions aren't all cats, they've made multiple comments about how Whis might be recruiting a successor. It's just that Beerus and Champa happen to be relatively equally strong siblings.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was looking forward to seeing the whole litter though :(

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm all for Gimli, God of Destruction, personally.

Reinanigans posted:

Was it ever made canon that souls in Dragon Ball get "cleansed" and reincarnated? I mean, apart from Buu -->Uub.

Yes, when Vegeta asks Piccolo what will happen to him after he dies before his noble sacrifice during the Buu arc.

Sindoril
Jan 30, 2016

eonwe posted:

videl fuckin owns

No, she doesn't. In the original series, during the Buu saga, all of her scenes are vastly more interesting and present a character that isn't wholly an archetype; at first, she appears to be the tsundere, but slowly warms up to Gohan through training with him and just hanging out and getting to know him. She may have gone through some traumatic poo poo during that saga, but there was always one thing that kept her going -- determination and persrverence, traits she wholeheartedly lacks in Super, thoroughly debased to the point of useless waifuzation. There is very little justification for this -- she's actually head strong in even the movie featuring Beerus and willing to fight when she's clearly not able to.

Yet, in Super, she is a delicate flower, given rudimentary acknowledgement of her past characterization while the remaidner of it is shunted in favor of a pure wholesome waifu. There is nothing interesting about her scenes in Super, only completely boring and generic scenes of her being cute and being a normal housewife. This is not Videl. Videl in DBZ is a character, someone who has gone through trauma but come out all the better for it. Even the movies , which are by and large non-canon, treat her better than the series itself does. The writing for her is absolutely dogshite in every way imaginable, removing her headstrong, determined yet kind personality, switching that ferocity for a docile submissiveness she does not have in the original series she appears in.

There's no amount of 'trauma' a person can go through before they're subjected to this kind of 'characterization', and all of her scenes have been nothing short of thoroughly terrible writing. It destroys what was there to make something altogether new in its place, something that will only give lip service to what was before and rather than show glimmers of that, completely retrain her character to be what it is in Super -- the perfect little housewife. Videl loving owns -- but she loving owns in everything else but Super.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Don't blame Super for this, it's just the way women tend to go in DBZ.

Though you weird fanfic doesn't sound much better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sindoril posted:

The writing for her is absolutely dogshite in every way imaginable, removing her headstrong, determined yet kind personality, switching that ferocity for a docile submissiveness she does not have in the original series she appears in.

This isn't really true though, no.

A major factor with both Videl and Gohan is that they are happy. Videl trusts her husband and takes absolutely no poo poo from Barry Kahn when he tries to gently caress them over and she doesn't even flinch when Gohan is literally fighting for his life against a crazy superbeing. She isn't hopping into the fight herself but that doesn't make her docile or submissive. Her response to Barry Kahn alone shows that her thing is that she's happy with her current life and not actually seeking out anything more, the same as her husband. Both of them are perfectly content with their current lives and mesh well together.

That doesn't mean it isn't crap that she's yet another victim of Transformed Into A Housewife = Stop Fighting Entirely syndrome but her calling Barry Kahn a pathetic wretch and not buying his poo poo is alone to show she isn't a meek wilting flower either.

Sindoril posted:

Videl in DBZ is a character, someone who has gone through trauma but come out all the better for it.

This also doesn't actually describe Videl's character in DBZ. In fact her personality in Super is exactly what it was in Dragonball Z: defined largely by her trust and love in Gohan, including her being the only person who thinks he is alive after Buu seems to kill him. You can say that it sucks she's defined so much by her relationship to Gohan but that is what it is in DBZ too. Hell, remember that a good chunk of the Great Saiyaman saga isn't even in the manga. She goes from standoffish to liking Gohan to getting her neck broken to standing on the sidelines talking about how much she trusts Gohan. That's her arc.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 18, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Besides, didn't the last time she fought, she was almost beaten to death in the ring?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't really true though, no.

A major factor with both Videl and Gohan is that they are happy. Videl trusts her husband and takes absolutely no poo poo from Barry Kahn when he tries to gently caress them over and she doesn't even flinch when Gohan is literally fighting for his life against a crazy superbeing. She isn't hopping into the fight herself but that doesn't make her docile or submissive. Her response to Barry Kahn alone shows that her thing is that she's happy with her current life and not actually seeking out anything more, the same as her husband. Both of them are perfectly content with their current lives and mesh well together.

That doesn't mean it isn't crap that she's yet another victim of Transformed Into A Housewife = Stop Fighting Entirely syndrome but her calling Barry Kahn a pathetic wretch and not buying his poo poo is alone to show she isn't a meek wilting flower either.

This also doesn't actually describe Videl's character in DBZ. In fact her personality in Super is exactly what it was in Dragonball Z: defined largely by her trust and love in Gohan, including her being the only person who thinks he is alive after Buu seems to kill him.

Yeah Super is trying to do things with them but is still a little afraid to change things up to much.

So I give them credit for trying and as they get more comfortable with the property they might try more things.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I second the notion that Super is doing okay with Videl considering the state that Z had already left her in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Let me guess- he wants to use the Super Dragon Balls to finally find the Triforce and kill Link.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean Super is looking to finally fix Gohan, which is amazing since he been in a bad spot for the last twenty years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Actually current Gohan owns and if they try to make him a fighter I will be so disappointed in Super.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually current Gohan owns and if they try to make him a fighter I will be so disappointed in Super.

Prepare to be disappointed, they've shown him in his combat gi for the Universal Destruction arc.

That said the Universal Destruction arc is about people fighting so their universe doesn't die which is exactly the time Gohan should be stepping up to the plate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nah, Nerdy peaceful Toku family man Gohan owns and is the best Gohan. It also means they are gonna probably earn that moment that will definitely happen that forces him to lose it.

Also I look forward to the Vegeta babysitting Pan and Bra side episode after the tournament.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 18, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"The human body is 70% water."

*Gohan grabs Zeno by the throat*

"And I am 100% DEATH."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Videl was a tough fighter lady for like ten chapters, but then she got her poo poo wrecked in the beginning of the Buu arc and hasn't been in a fight since.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't mind Gohan participating in the fighting, as long as Dad Gohan is what he stays as the majority of the time. We already got a Gohan that protected the earth, he died fighting the androids.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm ok with gohan being a nerd and not fighting. I'm also ok with him fighting tho because it's still dragon ball

what I don't want is for him to end up like he did in the buu saga because gohan really loving sucked after they left the tournament behind

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gohan can be a fighter AND a dorky dad.

For fucks sake, he's a super hero. Dorky dad/Saiyaman by day, strongman laser dude at darkest night.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Momomo posted:

We already got a Gohan that protected the earth, he died fighting the androids.

I remember Goku beating Cell very vividly, too

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gohan getting back into fighting shape is perfectly fine and in-line with the poo poo that happened in the RoF stuff to the point where I think his character would actually be worse if he came out of that without any desire to do so.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He's just so boring as a fighter.

He basically becomes Goku.

We don't need another one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Gohan chooses to fight when his friends and loved ones are in danger, rather than enjoying fighting" seems perfectly sensible as a character beat. It means he won't be the STRONGEST THERE IS but he honestly doesn't need to be. He'll probably win a significant fight in the universal destruction arc even though we know Goku will come out ahead there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

Videl was a tough fighter lady for like ten chapters, but then she got her poo poo wrecked in the beginning of the Buu arc and hasn't been in a fight since.

Who would win in a fight Videl vs Blond Hared Launch? Launch has her full arsenal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's just so boring as a fighter.

He basically becomes Goku.

We don't need another one.

He kind of became a sadistic rear end in a top hat during the Cell Saga. Also, Gohan achieves his highest power level without having to go Super Saiyan, which makes him unique to Goku and Vegeta.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It completely ties into the character arc established during the future trunks saga. When he's confronted with the reality of what Future Trunks is facing and what he is fighting for it leads Gohan to start training again with his green dad because he knows that if he had to protect his family he would fight for them like Trunks would. There was a whole subtext where the two of them upon meeting again saw qualities in the other that they wanted for themselves: Trunks would love to have that settled life where he doesn't have to fight and Gohan admired him for having the will to do anything to try and protect the things that matter to him.

There was a whole lot of foreshadowing in that arc, and a whole lot of set up for what will come in the next. Super's writing is honestly better than you get in a lot of dragon ball material.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm not gonna worry too much about Gohan becoming a FIGHTING MAN. Come the tournament, he's still gonna job to some rando that only Goku is strong enough to beat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm not gonna worry too much about Gohan becoming a FIGHTING MAN. Come the tournament, he's still gonna job to some rando that only Goku is strong enough to beat.

I don't want gohan to be the yamcha of this tournament

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't want gohan to be the yamcha of this tournament

He won't be a Yamcha, since there are plenty of weaker fighters on the team.

Yamcha was only stronger than Chaotszu when he got kaboomed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Aurora posted:

I remember Goku beating Cell very vividly, too

Gohan killed Cell and then proceeded to stop training for seven years, just to get stronger again and completely gently caress it up. Future Gohan dedicated his life to making sure they were safe from the androids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Gohan killed Cell and then proceeded to stop training for seven years, just to get stronger again and completely gently caress it up. Future Gohan dedicated his life to making sure they were safe from the androids.

And failed miserably. In fact somehow dedicating himself entirely to his training AND having all his friends and family murdered in front of him meant he was weaker than 12 year old Gohan was.

Honestly I never quite got why Future Gohan wasn't a frigging god. 7 years of nonstop training and tons of trauma and motivation really should have at least made him Android level, especially when you consider Future 17/18 were supposed to be weaker than main timeline version.

• Locked thread