Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Irony.or.Death posted:

If you find a relic that just doubles part of your reward from the expedition when you collect; gold, hero exp., mana stones, or ancient coins. So whatever it was will forever be a mystery, but you have more of something now.

Ahhh I thought it was an ongoing collectible thing.

Goddamn I dig this game. I'm still really impressed by the character animations and battleground tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
If there's any more room in Swdoflowtax I'd be down as well. Currently in Overflowtax
IGN: Campbell

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I discovered the 'Auto-Retry' feature and re-ran every previous mission idly at work as many times as I could to farm coins for that Maple Story thing. I'm over 1600 now and I'm not even done for the evening. I hopefully won't have a problem breaking the 3k to get Evan.

Any suggestions on what I should spend red gems on? I have unlocked up to the second Expedition. Keep pushing that, or save for costumes, or what? I bought some package deal earlier because I don't mind spending some cash on games I enjoy, so I have ~1200.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 18, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Unless you really want to whale out and pick up a soul gear package for your favorite maple story character (lol, etc.) before they go away, I'd stick with the expedition levels until you max it at 10. Huge long-term gains.

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006
So they've posted their ideas for re-balancing Kai and Chris. https://www.facebook.com/notes/fantasy-war-tactics/gm-newsflash-kaichrisfinally/1859401730940804

The interesting thing to note is that this will give Chris a 100% stun with her Soul Gear.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Campbell posted:

If there's any more room in Swdoflowtax I'd be down as well. Currently in Overflowtax
IGN: Campbell

Full for now but there's a couple of people who haven't checked in for several days, so there might be space soon.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I love this game, but the amount of characters to grind, levels to unlock etc has started to become a bit overwhelming for a phone game, as I just started school again / am trying to beat and maybe do a shoddy LP at the same time. Not sure how often I will be able to log on.

Nomadic Scholar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 19, 2017

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Yeah, this is not a game where you try to get "the best team" with "the best characters" and ignore everyone else. This is a game where you strive for 100% completion, because the content is sufficiently varied that the best characters for one area, or even one mission within an area, will not necessarily be the same best characters for everything else. So you need EVERYONE to be good, and to make ANYONE good requires some hefty time investments.

The only reason I tolerate it is because of auto-mode. That makes this game a hybrid of turn-based tactics games and "idle games/clickers". If you have no interest in "idle games", this might not be your cup of tea. For me, it's perfect, because I both love tactical games and find that having an idle game running in the background while at work or doing chores actually helps me focus by making me pay more attention to time.

But with regards to "the grind" (or, as I think of it, the "idle game" portion) it does help to simply focus on one to three things at a time, and prioritize. The OP has a "tier list" for characters... which is ALMOST helpful, but I've been considering typing up a new list that's less "tiers" and more a "grind these things FIRST, but you're going to want to get to everything eventually" list. Might be more helpful.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm perfectly fine with the idle parts, it's just I eventually want to do the actual tactical bits instead of mashing face at an event endlessly.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm perfectly fine with the idle parts, it's just I eventually want to do the actual tactical bits instead of mashing face at an event endlessly.

On the up side, uh, mashing face at an event is done by doing the tactical bits of the game. Or, if you're done with world conquest, by auto-farming.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Is the current 2* rainbow capsule deal worthwhile? I just realized that my Krut doesn't have a set in his 2* slots, just sword/armor/brooch.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012

Somefool posted:

Leave your in-game name here and I'll reserve the spot.

Deliciouscesium posted:

In-game name is CesiumSA. Currently on cooldown.

Just following up to say I am off of cooldown and applied to the guild.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ignoranus posted:

Is the current 2* rainbow capsule deal worthwhile? I just realized that my Krut doesn't have a set in his 2* slots, just sword/armor/brooch.

By special request:
1: Death Blow, Spirit of Cold Steel, Ketarh Apprentice
2: Blue Dragon's Blessing, Super Ranger: Red, Shadow Death Band
3: Death Bringer, Super Ranger: Pink, Vulcan Essence
4: Defender of the Earth, Dragon Slayer, Ketarh's Secret
5: Magical Marksman, Ultimate Weapon Gold Tiger, Sione's Ominous Prophecy.

Only one level here is unalloyed good, and that's 5 star, with the excellent Sione's Prophecy at A. Every single other A set is okay to mediocre, at best, with Ketarh Apprentice being the best of them, as it's a quick easy boost to your area attackers that can be trashed for mod pots later on without a care in the world.

On an S/SS level, 1 star is amazing, 2 star is only worthwhile for the SS, 3 star has two excellent sets (seriously for anything but BOH, pink ranger is the bee's knees, that's almost 4k attack in a 3 star slot on bow/armor/brooch), 4 star has dote and one so-so set.

You absolutely do not want to be pulling 2 star right now, naked Krut or no, you'd be better off putting your efforts into decking out +12 plats than fishing for blue dragon with red ranger and shadow trash band up.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

NinjaDebugger posted:

By special request:
1: Death Blow, Spirit of Cold Steel, Ketarh Apprentice
2: Blue Dragon's Blessing, Super Ranger: Red, Shadow Death Band
3: Death Bringer, Super Ranger: Pink, Vulcan Essence
4: Defender of the Earth, Dragon Slayer, Ketarh's Secret
5: Magical Marksman, Ultimate Weapon Gold Tiger, Sione's Ominous Prophecy.

Only one level here is unalloyed good, and that's 5 star, with the excellent Sione's Prophecy at A. Every single other A set is okay to mediocre, at best, with Ketarh Apprentice being the best of them, as it's a quick easy boost to your area attackers that can be trashed for mod pots later on without a care in the world.

On an S/SS level, 1 star is amazing, 2 star is only worthwhile for the SS, 3 star has two excellent sets (seriously for anything but BOH, pink ranger is the bee's knees, that's almost 4k attack in a 3 star slot on bow/armor/brooch), 4 star has dote and one so-so set.

You absolutely do not want to be pulling 2 star right now, naked Krut or no, you'd be better off putting your efforts into decking out +12 plats than fishing for blue dragon with red ranger and shadow trash band up.

Thanks! Super-informative effortpost.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Attention new players: Krut and Deimos will both be returning WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK. If you are just starting out, RUSH to unlock Jack ASAP so that you can run Krut's island-- even as a brand new player, if you are willing to grind it out, Krut is DEFINITELY obtainable. Don't play the game with the "No-Krut Handicap" if you can possibly help it. YOU WANT KRUT. IF YOU PLAY THIS GAME, YOU WANT KRUT.

Running Deimos may be trickier for a new player... you can do the first few levels of his dungeon but the later (lucrative) levels are meant for longer-term existing player... but even with a harder dungeon, his package can be purchased for gems. I'm actually considering grabbing his package a second time, just for the equipment to transcend, although I'll certainly be getting Krut and Celestial's costumes first. That said, try for Deimos as much as you can. He's not AS necessary as Krut, but he's definitely welcome in your roster.

Krut's package is not generally recommended unless you have a hole burning in your wallet, as it's cash only, and not really the best equipment.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

For anyone interested in an active guild, I got TWO slots available in SwdOfLowtax. Got 2 people who haven't checked in for a week, so time for the boot.

Leave your name here if you're interested and I'll reserve a spot. Do not leave your previous guild until I confirm you're in to avoid any guild cool down shenanigans.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Campbell wants in thx!

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
In the secondary guild but would love to come over, IGN is dorl

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh I was probably one of them, I keep forgetting to set the game up while I do other stuff.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hahahaha.

What does this remind you of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxcHHZ_GcQ

Made by Nexon.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I'd autobattle more, but the game keeps crashing on me. The equipment limit also keeps getting hit like two or three battles in, and I have max equipment slots and only keep platinum or set items. :argh: In short, it keeps disrupting the flow after like three or four fights and I can't take it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I'd autobattle more, but the game keeps crashing on me. The equipment limit also keeps getting hit like two or three battles in, and I have max equipment slots and only keep platinum or set items. :argh: In short, it keeps disrupting the flow after like three or four fights and I can't take it.

Buy more equipment slots. I'm at the point where I'm unlocking and leveling worthless characters just so I can use them to store gear that I can't bear to throw away.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Campbell posted:

Campbell wants in thx!

SCOTLAND posted:

In the secondary guild but would love to come over, IGN is dorl

Ok, you 2 are in. I'll be looking out for your names.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see any red gem packages I thought worth buying for this event. I have 5200 red gems now. Guess I'll just sit on em until Klein's comes back around or another event package worth a drat.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

What island is Jack on? I'm on Vulcan but I've been kinda dragging my feet and farming a lot.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

What island is Jack on? I'm on Vulcan but I've been kinda dragging my feet and farming a lot.

He's the last boss on Vulcan.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i sent some people in thread some invites and if y'all could add me so i can actually SS rank these boss stages that'd be great. ign is rabidsquid, i am just a babby still

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Sigh. Nexon has decided to kill boss trapping strats. I don't actually find this more fun.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So from the previous post, I take it I should be farming the hell out of this red orc dude? Why is Jack essential for this? Just for his defense, or is there something else to the fight? I got him farmed up and ready to go, almost to 3-star now. I can BARELY tackle the second round where I am now, but its slow going..

Also, who should I really be focusing on right now? There's so many characters it kinda makes my head spin. Here's who I've got and where they are:

(Ninja-dude and Pig-guy are 2-star, never really used them other than Expeditions just for the XP)

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Jacks 3rd skill is a % dmg based attack, so scales well against high hp bosses like Krut is. Seriously, I started playing around when Krut was last available, and he has carried me well so far. Do everything you can to unlock him.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Somefool posted:

Ok, you 2 are in. I'll be looking out for your names.

I think maybe guild invites are broken or something. I'm off cooldown, and have applied to swdoflowtax but I'm not seeing anything in Invitation Status and if I research I can just apply to the guild again :/

edit: nm all good

Campbell fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 23, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

so i read back a bit and see i should be trying to get krut and i had a question about that; right now i am stuck farming stage 2 unless i have some strong friend units available in which case i can do stage 4, but i was wondering how exp is calculated. do i get the same exp for finishing the stage as if i kill all of the non boss monsters or do i need to clean them out to get the full exp?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

rabidsquid posted:

so i read back a bit and see i should be trying to get krut and i had a question about that; right now i am stuck farming stage 2 unless i have some strong friend units available in which case i can do stage 4, but i was wondering how exp is calculated. do i get the same exp for finishing the stage as if i kill all of the non boss monsters or do i need to clean them out to get the full exp?

Same XP regardless of killing all monsters, or just the boss. Don't kill all the monsters, just focus-fire everything on Krut. The side monsters are purely a distraction.

Use those friends to do stage 4 as much as possible, but when you're out of powerful friends, I suggest you still continue to grind on stage 2, and eventually aim for stage 3. When doing so, Jack's 3rd skill will be your primary damage dealer, so spare a few points of energy each day to grinding Jack's level in order to skill up his 3rd. Carrot can be very helpful with decreasing Krut's defense, but it's up to you whether you want to spend time grinding his genes... very soon, you won't be using Carrot at all any more. Jack will remain useful, at least situationally, pretty much forever, so it is by no means a waste to focus some time on him. Jack stayed in my main party until I was like lvl 70 or so, and I still use him sometimes for ToD.

Once you get Krut, stick Krut in your party ASAP, and continue grinding Krut to increase his skills. You want to max them in order 1-4-3-2. You might not be able to get all of his skills in a month, but at least max his 1st skill, and make progress towards the 4th.

And then... enjoy having a beast that hits like a truck, moves like a racecar, soaks damage like a bunker, and is basically a giant gently caress you that takes no poo poo from anyone. Krut is the official "Best At Basically Everything" munchkin. Abuse the poo poo out of him.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Nice to have finally gotten Krut after having missed him the first time he came around! Blown about 30 energy potions I'd had saved up on running his island which feels pretty good!

Regarding potentials, is there a guide or anything that says for X character (or Tank/Attack/area/healer types) what potentials are best fit? Also, are any of the chocolate event sets good for any characters specifically?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Campbell posted:

Nice to have finally gotten Krut after having missed him the first time he came around! Blown about 30 energy potions I'd had saved up on running his island which feels pretty good!

Regarding potentials, is there a guide or anything that says for X character (or Tank/Attack/area/healer types) what potentials are best fit? Also, are any of the chocolate event sets good for any characters specifically?

The chocolate set is darn good, in general, but I personally stick it on Krut, since I don't have Pink Ranger or Beast Rain, which are the sets people usually say go well on him. Basically, stick it on someone who already hits hard that you want to make hit even harder.

As for potentials, 3, 4, and 5 should ALWAYS be their respective immunities-- I won't put someone in BoH unless they have all three. For 1 and 2 (or as a stopgap while grinding out the immunities) people usually recommend +MP, but I find that +dodge, +defense, and +crit rate are all good for pretty much anyone. +counter rate is okay if you're focusing on counter (read: you have the full Outer Space set), but for most characters I'd skip it. Always skip counter damage, crit damage, and damage, for anyone and everyone, even if a higher grade... they won't do anything for you because I believe they use fixed numbers that aren't effected by the real stat boosters, the percent additions.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Sorry SwdOfLowtax goons, I wanted to give this try-hard guild raid thing a go to see what it's like and got recruited, so there should be another open spot.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
If I'm not going to be getting Yekaterina or Lena in the next few weeks/month would putting weapon soul gear on Jack, Krut, or Celestial or wings on Gillian be a bad buy?

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

I assume Spineapple is someone here, so he gets the spot unless I find out that this person is not a goon.

Campbell posted:

If I'm not going to be getting Yekaterina or Lena in the next few weeks/month would putting weapon soul gear on Jack, Krut, or Celestial or wings on Gillian be a bad buy?

Depends on how often you run Guild Raid because if you plan to +10 a SG, you'll need an additional 3 books to go from +7 to +10.

Soul gear doesn't make a huge difference until you +7 it at least.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i will apply for the guild once i know i am not just going to quit playing or once i have some useful poo poo at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Somefool posted:

Soul gear doesn't make a huge difference until you +7 it at least.

Oh ok if that's the case I'll just work on boosting the lvl1 sg on Gillan.

• Locked thread