Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Waltzing Along posted:

Because she looks like a bird and isn't funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The early seasons really do seem like improv though because of how they frequently go off on tangents that build into shouting matches, so its an understandable question.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm not too much of a fan of the Dee hate, because it reminds me too much of the super lovely Meg hate. Family Guy took that lovely joke of hating a character for no reason to the extreme though, at one point making an entire episode around the moral that a child needs to be abused by her family in order for it to stay together, not really played off as a joke either.

That said, Sunny has nowhere near come close to that dead horse, whereas FG is inside the dead horse, beating off with the gizzards. Usually Dee actually deserves it, or they use it in a way that's actually funny, like how Frank says "bird!" because he can't think of anything else to say in that Frank POV episode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want to kiss full on on the mouth the guy who one morning woke up and decided Danny DeVito has to be in this show and then made it happen

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I think you'll be kissing Danny DeVito.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nothing wrong with that

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Shabooya roll call!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mastajake posted:

I think you'll be kissing Danny DeVito.
This is PR, I'm pretty sure. They made it sound like that on the Season 1 and 2 DVD set, but I'm pretty sure FX approached him with it and he'd never seen the show beforehand.

But I would absolutely believe that he watched the episodes and was like, "sold."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LividLiquid posted:

This is PR, I'm pretty sure. They made it sound like that on the Season 1 and 2 DVD set, but I'm pretty sure FX approached him with it and he'd never seen the show beforehand.

But I would absolutely believe that he watched the episodes and was like, "sold."

I thought I read an interview where Devitos kids were the ones who actually sold him on it, because they were so excited when he told them he auditioned for some nothing TV show.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Megaspel posted:

like how Frank says "bird!" because he can't think of anything else to say in that Frank POV episode.

He does it twice in that episode and it's great both times

Think of something to say

"SHUT UP BIRD!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Megaspel posted:

I'm not too much of a fan of the Dee hate, because it reminds me too much of the super lovely Meg hate. Family Guy took that lovely joke of hating a character for no reason

No reason? Meg is awful and ugly. I mean, just because Mila Kunis voiced her doesn't make the character good. Just means we'd all pay our left nut to bang her voice actress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes because you should hate ugly people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Can we talk about the episode instead?

Old Lady House!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
İHOW WILL YOU COMPENSATE ME PRODUCTIONS

This was a great episode.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes because you should hate ugly people.

No, but you shouldn't want to bang 'em.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
That one was also good

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I don't like laugh track tv but I would totally watch Charlie and Mac's mom in a laugh track tv series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Drifter posted:

No, but you shouldn't want to bang 'em.

I would hope her family doesn't want to bang her.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dee breaking the bannister was the only redeeming joke in that terrible episode.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Megaspel posted:

I'm not too much of a fan of the Dee hate, because it reminds me too much of the super lovely Meg hate. Family Guy took that lovely joke of hating a character for no reason to the extreme though, at one point making an entire episode around the moral that a child needs to be abused by her family in order for it to stay together, not really played off as a joke either.

That said, Sunny has nowhere near come close to that dead horse, whereas FG is inside the dead horse, beating off with the gizzards. Usually Dee actually deserves it, or they use it in a way that's actually funny, like how Frank says "bird!" because he can't think of anything else to say in that Frank POV episode.

When Dee has her moments of triumph, they're almost always incredible. That scene in the two-parter where she gets a job subbing at a school and the guys call her to taunt her at work is incredible.

"Goddamnit, you guys, I am a teacher now. Don't ever call me here again! I don't have time for your poo poo, you dumbass dickbags! ... wrong number, sorry"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dee breaking the bannister was the only redeeming joke in that terrible episode.
I disagree, that episode was excellent

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've enjoyed all three episodes this season :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Third ep > first ep > second ep are my rankings for this season so far.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was a fantastic episode, I was dying the whole way through. Mrs. Mac is the best.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
water park episode was decent but the other two sucked.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

buddhanc posted:

That was a fantastic episode, I was dying the whole way through. Mrs. Mac is the best.

Anyone catch this?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

It takes a great comedian to be good at being unfunny, and Kaitlin Olson has that down pat.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
The worst part of this season is having to sit through commercials for Baskets. Good lord that show looks unbearable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

3 for 3 so far, I've really dug each episode. The commentary on why a laugh track is necessary was a little overdone but then again this isn't a show I should probably be expecting subtlety from. I love Mrs. Mac

Troy Queef posted:

It takes a great comedian to be good at being unfunny, and Kaitlin Olson has that down pat.

The dead silence during her "wacky neighbor" bits was great (and horrifying)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Don't eat beforehand!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

StalkofWheat posted:

The worst part of this season is having to sit through commercials for Baskets. Good lord that show looks unbearable.

Baskets is very good my friend. You should give it a try!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It seems like it's very cringe humor. I'm not really sure if I'm into more of that right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That episode was pretty good. I'm afraid some of you just don't have a sense of humor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

That episode was pretty good. I'm afraid some of you just don't have a sense of humor.

Maybe if there'd been a laugh track to let me know when to laugh :shrug:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Nah, different things land for different people. I liked the first two episodes a lot and the only thing that was good for me this episode was Dee being unfunny as the wacky neighbor. Oddly enough having ones that aren't funny for everyone seems to work. I know the next one will probably be funny, because there's always one or two every season I don't like, but there's always a ton more good than bad in each season. One episode being off isn't a big deal because they've shown they can recover well, or maybe weren't even off in the first place!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will say though that this season has been a decline so far. The first episode was hilarious, second was pretty funny, that this one was ok.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I will say though that this season has been a decline so far. The first episode was hilarious, second was pretty funny, that this one was ok.

Same, but the reverse. A reverse funnel system, if you will.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
this threads such a buzzkill sometimes, I don't get how fans of the show could not enjoy these episodes

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

StalkofWheat posted:

Baskets is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyone catch this?

I noticed that the credits were really, really fake, but I didn't catch any of the gags in them.