Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well okay after waiting almost three months for the Subaru mothership to ship a backordered part I should have my car back tomorrow.

Just kidding! I got the secondary air pump relay recall letter last week and that repair part is backordered too!

gently caress Subaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
This summer I bought an 05 9-2x (impreza wagon) for next to nothing with the intention of finally learning to do my own work.

Going in to this all I'd ever done was some basic carb stuff on my bike - so far, I've managed to successfully:

- change timing belt
- replace the oil pan
- replace headgaskets
- replace a wheel bearing
- fill in and paint over the swiss cheese holes under the mirrors on each side
- replace the brakes, refurbish a stuck caliper, replace the shoes in the rear
- replace two struts
- swap out the stereo for a newer junkyard stereo with aux in (making my own harness adapter)
- other piddly tasks (plug wires, ignition coil, flush power steering fluid, new accessory belt)

It's been incredibly rewarding learning to do all of this myself.. Then I decided I'd try my hand at replacing the ball joint while changing out the front/passenger axle (ripped boot, leaking grease for a while)..

ultimatesubaru.org posted:

#1 don't remove that bolt unless you absolutely have to. if you're doing it for a simple axle job - don't.

Pinch bolt somehow twisted off on its own just from the power of my gaze, drilled it out and now I can't for the life of me get the ball joint out of the knuckle. When I drilled out the bolt I wasn't perfectly centered so I fear there may be remnants of the bolt keeping the whole thing clamped down on the ball joint (on top of the copious amounts of rust). I've applied fire, a crowbar, and tons of swearing and no luck far

Can you guys sanity check my plan:

1) Try to cut out any bits of the bolt (and probably some of the old ball joint too) by carefully working a cutoff wheel in to the gap
2) Take a chisel or something and jam it in to try and open the knuckle up a bit (I've heard you have to be careful here)
3) All the PB blaster
4) Try to pry it loose with a crowbar on the control arm
5) Once that fails I'm not quite sure what to do next

Any suggestions?

p.s. did I mention the ball joint was fine and if I'd just replaced the axle I would have been done in 25 minutes? Preventative maintenance - never again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It is probably faster at this point to pull the entire knuckle and junkyard a new one in there.

If you can force the pinch on the knuckle open you can cut slices into the top of the ball joint and then rotate the ball joint a little and repeat, then it will collapse in on itself. But, forcing the pinch open on the knuckle can often lead to a broken knuckle anyway.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It is probably faster at this point to pull the entire knuckle and junkyard a new one in there.

If you can force the pinch on the knuckle open you can cut slices into the top of the ball joint and then rotate the ball joint a little and repeat, then it will collapse in on itself. But, forcing the pinch open on the knuckle can often lead to a broken knuckle anyway.

This is the truth I knew I my heart, but didn't want to hear.

I guess on the upside if I'm resigned to replacing it I can try to wedge it open first.. Maybe I'll get lucky?

It's amazing how the headgasket went off without a hitch then this one tiny bolt renders the car undrivable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I dread the pinch bolts whenever I have to do a balljoint job. My technique is to basically juice the poo poo out of them with PB/Seafoam/Kroil/everything else in the shop, let them soak for a few minutes between passes and then surprise them with the angriest impact I've got.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you've got the coin, the snap on ball joint tool is like a dream. Had both swapped out in like 10 mins tops.

I managed to borrow one from a local enthusiast, it's not a great investment if you aren't doing ball joints all the time, but the price might be worth it for the saved headache alone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Midjack posted:

Well okay after waiting almost three months for the Subaru mothership to ship a backordered part I should have my car back tomorrow.

Just kidding! I got the secondary air pump relay recall letter last week and that repair part is backordered too!

gently caress Subaru.

So you've been without your car for 3 months? That seems insane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Midjack posted:

gently caress Subaru.

You might be nearing lemon law territory.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJ Commie posted:

Tell me about the Justy! The guy I bought my 78 Subaru from wants to give me his parents 89 Justy. Its 4WD, 2 door, manual, and needs a ring job. I already have a 323 GTX and a Daihatsu Rocky for offroad shenanigans on the property, should I take it? I didn't buy the parts from the EFI'd 91 I saw at the Sparks PickNPull, I really should have at least bought the intake manifold.

Here is the alternate viewpoint, from my wife, who was a service writer for Subaru back when they sold the Justy.

"The are disposable cars. After 80,000 miles we would tell customers that they were not worth fixing."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Niven posted:

This is the truth I knew I my heart, but didn't want to hear.

I guess on the upside if I'm resigned to replacing it I can try to wedge it open first.. Maybe I'll get lucky?

It's amazing how the headgasket went off without a hitch then this one tiny bolt renders the car undrivable.

Take the knuckle to a machine shop. I never even bother with those pinch bolts and just take them there where they have a torch (no, my propane torch won't cut it. :( ) and can usually get them off without breaking them. I broke one of mine and drilled it (also slightly off center), you can nut and bolt that joint when you're done vs retapping threads. The shop can also get the ball joint out and new ones pressed in. Not worth the DIY effort for me, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

daslog posted:

Here is the alternate viewpoint, from my wife, who was a service writer for Subaru back when they sold the Justy.

"The are disposable cars. After 80,000 miles we would tell customers that they were not worth fixing."

Yeah, but you're talking to Nik. He's had, to the best of my memory:

• Multiple Daihatsu Charades, including a pseudo prepped race car with custom suspension work by jamal, for LeMons
  • Daihatsu Rocky/Ferozas
  • Fiat X1/9s
  • Several 323 GTXes
  • At least one 70s Subaru

"Not Worth Fixing" is the name of his autobiography.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

And kastein trying to keep his forever too. Not to mention the two of us flying to Colorado and driving it back to New England since he wanted a rust free one so bad.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I changed the oil on the 3.6r and the light went away. It was pretty dirty so perhaps the low oil light is also low oil life?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Will the updated 2018 WRX have Carplay or Android Auto? I didn't see it in the press release. If not, that's a bummer since the 2017 Impreza has it. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Guinness posted:

Will the updated 2018 WRX have Carplay or Android Auto?

Lord I hope not, keep that poo poo out of cars pls.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lord I hope not, keep that poo poo out of cars pls.

Huh? It's like 4000% better than the absolute poo poo UI that's in the cars right now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh? It's like 4000% better than the absolute poo poo UI that's in the cars right now.

Yeah, exactly. Infotainment systems ain't going away, so since we're stuck with them let's at least use the best ones. The sooner OEMs get out of the infotainment business the better. The systems from Apple/Google that just mirror my phone is way better than the Subaru StarLink garbage.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Starlink and Mirrorlink are both hot garbage. I'm actually a bit surprised Subaru allowed their cars to be released with either when there were much better options

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Will the 16 or earlier models ever get a firmware update for Android Auto?:ohdear:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

Starlink and Mirrorlink are both hot garbage. I'm actually a bit surprised Subaru allowed their cars to be released with either when there were much better options

Subaru's infotainment poo poo has always been 10-15 years behind the state of the art.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Will the 16 or earlier models ever get a firmware update for Android Auto?:ohdear:

No, but I have this 18 available for 0 down and 3.9% APR!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

How about no UI and we have real centre consoles again?

And I dont give a gently caress if it looks better, I dont want Apple OR Microsoft OR Google to be in any car I have. This isnt negotiable for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And I dont give a gently caress if it looks better, I dont want Apple OR Microsoft OR Google to be in any car I have. This isnt negotiable for me.

Gimme back mah buttons dagnamit. :corsair:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but the reality of the situation is that in-dash displays and infotainment stuff is here to stay. It's never going away in new cars. So accepting that fact, it sucks to have to settle for the pile of crap that is StarLink in comparison to the newest stuff with CarPlay and Android Auto.

Unrelated WRX question: does the newest WRX have roof rack tracks as a mounting option, or do you have to use the doofy around-the-pillar mounts that are ugly and scratch up your paint? It's kind of hard to find good info since it seems Subaru doesn't even have rack equipment/accessories listed for the WRX.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
I think I remember reading in the 18 press release that they will. Earlier ones don't

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

drizzle posted:

I think I remember reading in the 18 press release that they will. Earlier ones don't

Oh, awesome, that's great news. With the lack of hatch option, a sedan would likely necessitate a roof rack for skis and bikes.

The 2018 might just get me back in the showroom. If only it had CarPlay it'd be a slam dunk. ;)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The one thing I will credit them with on their infotainment is that it's a simple 2 DIN and not some stupid integrated bullshit where you have to replace the climate control knobs and entire front console plastic just to change the radio out, so you can simply replace their trash with something that might suck less.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah but you also need to wire the rear cam and get modules and poo poo for the steering wheel buttons and all that. Kind of a pain in the rear end compared to the high school days of just plugging a wiring harness in. Also, they all look like you're in a loving spaceship.

Re winter tire chat, I went with the Michelin Xi3s. Good reviews and they have them on sale at Costco right now. $820 installed. I called around and couldn't find Pirelli Sotozeros anywhere. It would have cost $60 to ship from tire rack and been about $900 installed.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 18, 2017

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

would

but nah physical buttons are good digital buttons are bad and unusable without looking or while driving

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Yeah but you also need to wire the rear cam and get modules and poo poo for the steering wheel buttons and all that. Kind of a pain in the rear end compared to the high school days of just plugging a wiring harness in.

Then just don't hook up the steering wheel controls or the backup cam. It'll be just as easy to install and you'll have the same features/car integration as it would have had 10-15 years ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Listen buddy, I need my steering wheel mute button that takes 3 seconds to respond.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 18, 2017

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Chains you can't just put on and drive normally with. Only slow speeds in super slippery conditions.

Quoting this old post because I'm actually curious about using chains on our cars. I was under the impression they're very bad for the AWD system and shouldn't be used. Is that not the case? Would you simply put chains on the fronts if needed? I already run snow tires but R3 road conditions (even though they're very rare) require all cars to have chains, so I was considering picking up a set to keep in the car anyways.

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

pctD posted:

Quoting this old post because I'm actually curious about using chains on our cars. I was under the impression they're very bad for the AWD system and shouldn't be used. Is that not the case? Would you simply put chains on the fronts if needed? I already run snow tires but R3 road conditions (even though they're very rare) require all cars to have chains, so I was considering picking up a set to keep in the car anyways.

I've lived in a place for almost a decade that sees over 20ft of snow in the wintertime, and I've NEVER seen R3 conditions. I've asked people that have been here way longer than me and they tell me they usually close the highways before they require chains on all vehicles. That being said, you should have chains, just don't ever expect to use them if you own a Subaru and have halfway decent tires on it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Chains are mentioned in the owner's manual. I think you are only supposed to put them on the front, and probably only use the cable type. I'm pretty sure that if I put any on my car it would rip the fender liners out.

I've never had or used chains or seen them required. Here in MT they will usually just say "hey, the roads are bad, only drive if you need to." Sometimes things will get closed, I think last night I-90 was closed out in WA in a few places.

At slow speeds in very slippery conditions it's not really going to do anything to the awd. If you are on, say, a highway with spotty snow cover where you could reasonably drive 50mph in places that would not be a situation to use chains. But if you were like on some narrow forest road that was steep and icy and you were only going 10-20mph, then yeah, chains sound good.

About the only places I hear about chain requirements are busy, populated areas, like the passes outside Seattle, in CA, etc. So lots of people, lots of cars with poo poo tires, they have to cater to the biggest idiots out there. And even that doesn't work.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 18, 2017

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Is there a way to transport two MTBs in an 07 STI without paying $texas? Seems like hitch mount racks are out, the roof racks I've seen look hideous and/or require major surgery, and I'm pretty sure I can only fit one on the back seat.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

saint gerald posted:

Is there a way to transport two MTBs in an 07 STI without paying $texas? Seems like hitch mount racks are out, the roof racks I've seen look hideous and/or require major surgery, and I'm pretty sure I can only fit one on the back seat.

Take the rear seat and the two bars from the floor to the parcel shelf out, you should be able to slide two in there.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

jamal posted:

Take the rear seat and the two bars from the floor to the parcel shelf out, you should be able to slide two in there.

Genius. Thanks!

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

jamal posted:

Chains are mentioned in the owner's manual. I think you are only supposed to put them on the front, and probably only use the cable type. I'm pretty sure that if I put any on my car it would rip the fender liners out.

I've never had or used chains or seen them required. Here in MT they will usually just say "hey, the roads are bad, only drive if you need to." Sometimes things will get closed, I think last night I-90 was closed out in WA in a few places.

At slow speeds in very slippery conditions it's not really going to do anything to the awd. If you are on, say, a highway with spotty snow cover where you could reasonably drive 50mph in places that would not be a situation to use chains. But if you were like on some narrow forest road that was steep and icy and you were only going 10-20mph, then yeah, chains sound good.

About the only places I hear about chain requirements are busy, populated areas, like the passes outside Seattle, in CA, etc. So lots of people, lots of cars with poo poo tires, they have to cater to the biggest idiots out there. And even that doesn't work.

Best picture ever. I see that all the time where I live. People which chains on the wrong axles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on an impact wrench and sockets? I just need to swap tires and poo poo, but I like nice tools.

This cordless Dewalt got pretty killer reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899B-Brushless-Torque-Impact/dp/B00WJA1J68