Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, dang. Going to check there next time a family member needs a new machine. Thanks!

Sorry about the multiple posts. On mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are HP laptops good now? I remember about a decade ago that everyone who had a HP laptop had them overheat in about a year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Are HP laptops good now? I remember about a decade ago that everyone who had a HP laptop had them overheat in about a year.

The trick is: Never go for consumer models. Always go for Enterprise models.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

The trick is: Never go for consumer models. Always go for Enterprise models.

Vendor doesn't give a gently caress about enterprise models lasting more than 3 years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

puberty worked me over posted:

Vendor doesn't give a gently caress about enterprise models lasting more than 3 years.

No, there is a build quality and maintainability difference.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

or you can you a macbook for 6+ years with no problem :mrgw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

funny Star Wars parody posted:

or you can you a macbook for 6+ years with no problem :mrgw:

I have Dell Precisions older than that, and they are still in use. This is not a magic property only Mac's have. Just don't cost as much and have better parts availability.

And I don't have to deal with a 'Genius Bar'

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

No, there is a build quality and maintainability difference.

The last elitebook/latitute/t-series I've seen with any semblance of build quality was about 10 years ago.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I have Dell Precisions older than that, and they are still in use. This is not a magic property only Mac's have. Just don't cost as much and have better parts availability.

And I don't have to deal with a 'Genius Bar'

a huge number of the macs customers brought in were 10+ years old and they only wanted to know how to clear their cookies

Macs (at least until the touchbar monstrosity) are the superior computer

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my latitude e6540 and my thinkpad T430 from work are both garbo with poo poo build quality and i strongly dislike them

the thinkpad is the better of the two but the trackpad drives me bonkers

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

my latitude e6540 and my thinkpad T430 from work are both garbo with poo poo build quality and i strongly dislike them

God help you if they give you a T440/T450/T460. Lenovo just keeps getting worse with each generation.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

God help you if they give you a T440/T450/T460. Lenovo just keeps getting worse with each generation.

i just looked and yup it's a t460 not a 430

:rip:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Both of these are entry level Enterprise laptops. Comparing them to an Elitebook or a Precision is laughable. But yeah, I should've been more specific.

http://valid.x86.fr/ts58tz

This came out in 2011, but I can upgrade graphics cards, push it up to 32 GB of RAM, and run three seperate hard disks plus up to 4 screens, and upgrade the CPU.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 18, 2017

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Computers are loving garbage no matter the brand. The Apple/PC pissing match gets really old quick.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

There is no way it can be worse than my W540. The wifi antenna comes loose if I put the computer in my bag so I have to carry a screwdriver with it until I can buy some Kapton tape. It's also on motherboard #3.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Macs (at least until the touchbar monstrosity) are the superior computer

LOL No they arent LOL

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

On laptop chat, today is a momentous day -- I do not have a warranty on my laptop. That's the first time since 2006 -- ON ONE DELL ORDER.

I bought an M1710 for $2200 in 2006 with their Complete Care warranty, they couldn't give me a laptop that lasted more than a year or year and a half, each time replaced with a "like or better" unit. It was an ordeal with Dell Hell every time, but they replaced about 7 or 8 laptops since the original purchase. I took advantage of warranty extensions that were offered on some of the replacements, $350 one time for a couple years, $600 another time for a few years.

It caused much strife with Dell, since I was fully outside their system (that said no more than 4 years, total, of warranty on a purchase), I ended up speaking directly with one of their senior VPs on a couple replacements, but it was a fun ride.

As it is, I ended up with an Alienware 17 R4, i7-6700HQ, 32gb ram, 970 vid card and a couple x.2 drives. One of my better deals. :D

Insurance ended yesterday. :rip:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

As it is, I ended up with an Alienware 17 R4, i7-6700HQ, 32gb ram, 970 vid card and a couple x.2 drives. One of my better deals. :D

Alienware was kind of floundering under Dell for a while, till Michael came back. Michael Dell is probably the only reason Dell didn't end up like HP. :)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 19, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Alienware was kind of floundering under Dell for a while, till Michael came back. Michael Dell is probably the only reason Dell didn't end up like HP. :)

I can tell you, from experience, that some of then were pure crap. The M17x R4 I had before this one, though, was a goddamned tank. This one has been solid, I had my first accidental repair on it (out of the entire 10 years, all were machine failures other than this) when my dog knocked it over and stomped the UHD display. :( Hopefully this last one lasts for a while.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"

Yeah, respond with a price 20% than your listed price.

It's like 'gently caress YOU', but more polite.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought a cheapo gateway gaming laptop in 2009. It was flimsy then, and it's flimsy now, but it still runs like a beast. i can deflect the screen an inch or two either way, and deflect the body about an inch either way. I was sure within a few years the screen would fail and fall off or something like that, but it's still going.

They only release a driver for the video card about once a year, but it still keeps on trucking, paying most newer games.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Computers are loving garbage no matter the brand. The Apple/PC pissing match gets really old quick.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hunter Harrison is out at CP Rail, who wants to take bets on whether he ends up at Amtrak?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hunter Harrison is out at CP Rail, who wants to take bets on whether he ends up at Amtrak?

But are the trains okay? how are the trains?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I exchanged help polishing and waxing a '95 Eclipse GS-T thats pushing 26lbs of boost for a ride in it. Its hilariously fast until it hits the limits of the injectors and cuts fuel in 3rd gear. It isn't tuned either, so its rich as gently caress off bost, going lean on boost. And oh so violent the whole way through. :v:

And we made the 25 year old paint look good. Even with the clear coat peeling in spots and it having weird scratches where panels meet each other, you could see a perfect reflection in it by the time we were done. :smug:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My mums still rocking my original white
Core2 duo MacBook from 2004. It's on it's 2nd battery but still chugging along.

Apples new fetish with soldering everything to the board is why I'm still hanging onto my old 2012 MacBook Pro because it's the last one before the Retina display but I can still upgrade the ram and removed the optical drive to run twin HDD's in it.

In other news, some days I hate working in a place the public can access. Last week we had a solenoid on one of our picnic areas jam on and not turn the sprinklers off. So we dug that mess up cos it was 600mm underground for SOME REASON, and got it fixed. The over the weekend some shitheel jumped out temp fencing, grabbed a brick from the dirt pile from the hole and threw it in and smashed the pipe, flooding the whole area. Then we found that the isolation valve didn't close off properly so we had to dig that out to replace it. And that's when we found that the tee off the 1200kpa 4" main line wasn't a glued joint from a previous half arsed repair and it blew out.

Replacing one solenoid has turned into an entire weeks job and a trench that would impress a western front soldier.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My biggest problem with using Macs is learning the terminology and how obtuse they made relatively basic tools. Give me basic access to a Windows style control panel with clearly labeled tools and I have no issue with the platform. Business practices are another story, but I don't really care since they're not what I'd even look at buying

I've got a cheapo Lenovo netbook that I use for school because it's so tiny and it has touch screen input. It's barely able to run XCOM:EW, but it works for what I need out of it. I've been going back and forth on building an actual PC for a while, but I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on another toy that I don't need

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

My mums still rocking my original white
Core2 duo MacBook from 2004. It's on it's 2nd battery but still chugging along.

Intel didn't release the Core2 Duo until 2006, and Apple wasn't even using Intel processors at all until that year. :crossarms:

My Apple laptop from 2004 has a G4 in it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fridge corn come save us from this Mac vs PC pissing match, please!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrChips posted:

fridge corn come save us from this Mac vs PC pissing match, please!

Pissing match? Is Donald Trump a poster?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Speaking of macs, I still have to get my Powerbook 5300 up and running for some sweet Escape Velocity action.
Good thing I lost the diagram I drew after I stopped halfway through re-celling the battery in 2011 :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Door Frame posted:

I've been going back and forth on building an actual PC for a while, but I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on another toy that I don't need

This is me, basically. I really just need a SSD for archiving photos. Beyond that, anything can handle what I want to do (youtube, forums, office, etc). That being said, I really want something that can play Kerbal Space Program decently, so I might need to investigate those refurbished laptops.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Speaking of macs, I still have to get my Powerbook 5300 up and running for some sweet Escape Velocity action.
Good thing I lost the diagram I drew after I stopped halfway through re-celling the battery in 2011 :(

I wonder if that would run in sheepshaver. Otherwise, isn't there a Windows and OSX port of Nova?

I have a 5300ce, but the ribbon cable for the display got torn so it's just a pile of parts somewhere.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
so cars hey

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

You have a Firebook? I can probably help you out with this. We should hang out again soon.

Raluek posted:

I wonder if that would run in sheepshaver. Otherwise, isn't there a Windows and OSX port of Nova?

I have a 5300ce, but the ribbon cable for the display got torn so it's just a pile of parts somewhere.
The CS is sort of infamous for bad ribbon cables. I would probably chop the head off, sell the display on eBay and then throw an external video adapter on it and use it as a lovely desktop. I have a dumpster Dell D600 that used to run in a bookshelf that way until the fan failed and it nuked something on the board.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 19, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

I like cars

and cinema, art, fashion, architecture.

I had a satisfying chat with an old mate last week about fine art, and an individual's definition of a "luxury" item.

Where do you set the threshold for a luxury? Is it "anything beyond the bare minimum to survive" - bread and water? Is a can of beans a luxury?

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 19, 2017

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

meltie posted:

I like cars

my favourite car is the te27 corolla, yeah buddy

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

my favourite car is the te27 corolla, yeah buddy

You have good taste but it's not as good as it could be. I'm thinking RA24 Celica.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Say what you want about apples hardware robustness but I just dropped my iPhone 6s in a gravel workshop yard and my coworker ran over it with a 3.5T bobcat.

hosed the case and added some nice scratches to the back but it's still perfectly fine and working! Didn't even break the screen or screen protector!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You have good taste but it's not as good as it could be. I'm thinking RA24 Celica.

you need to consider whats on the inside, rxx engines were not good. 2tg extremely good and cool

• Locked thread