Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

IllegallySober posted:

Can someone look over this team and help me refine it?

Thancred's BSB to Imperil Fire, Refia & Zell's BSBs to bring the fire damage, and Terra's SSB for magical fire damage and fire spells. Vanille's BSB to provide healing and carry Shellga.

Most of those 5* skills are Rank 1 or 2. What would you prioritize leveling and/or creating and swapping in if you were me?
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Zell's BSB, while really good, doesn't do fire damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to draw Shout since it came out and it hasn't happened yet :(

I could do Sazh w/ Full Break and Magic Breakdown and his SSB (which is a Boostga/Magic Blink, but no Hastega).
Sazh's boostga is shout-tier, it just trades a hastega for magic blink. Since your other characters all have BSBs, which includes a self haste, Sazh ought to work perfectly.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Zell's BSB, while really good, doesn't do fire damage

Nah, you're right, I misspoke there, but it should provide a significant amount of regular damage anyway. I hope.

Nihilarian posted:

Sazh's boostga is shout-tier, it just trades a hastega for magic blink. Since your other characters all have BSBs, which includes a self haste, Sazh ought to work perfectly.

Cool, I'll try that then. Thanks!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
While I beat Beatrix/Steiner first try, I forgot to bring dark for mastery. Since then, for some reason, they've proven a lot tougher in subsequent fights.

I finally mastered them today though. Since the FF13 event went away, nobody has Cid R (Cider?) BSB up as RW. I refreshed for literally 5 straight minutes without finding one so I came up with a backup strat which consists of "use Vanille BSB as RW instead" and it worked perfectly.

Every time I saw the word "Climhazzard"
I just mashed the RW button and all my fears melted away. I didn't have to worry about Sap randomly killing my nerds before I could heal. Then I just brought a dark ability on Sephiroth and he used it once on each of them for the medals.

Highly recommended pro tier stuff.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Since the FF13 event went away, nobody has Cid R (Cider?) BSB up as RW.

Mine is up and will stay up. If I remember and can be bothered, I'll even update it for event-specific gear for events where he's a particularly good RW. Either way, 9qKh is my friend ID.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Mine is up and will stay up. If I remember and can be bothered, I'll even update it for event-specific gear for events where he's a particularly good RW. Either way, 9qKh is my friend ID.

Thanks. I'll add you.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
How do RW stats affect a RW BSB? Is it just for the intro attack, or does it also help for the commands?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mithross posted:

How do RW stats affect a RW BSB? Is it just for the intro attack, or does it also help for the commands?
Just entry, I believe.

On that note and about finding RW friends, https://friends-ffrk.rhcloud.com/ lets you search for RWs and you can sort by the stat that affects the SB.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mithross posted:

Just the intro, and the duration of any buffs that are stat impacted. (Mostly if there's a Hastega in the case of BSB's, though if any apply protect, regen, or shell, those too.)

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I also have Cid Raines burst as my RW. BCq6 if anybody needs.

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.
Man, Shell Dragon is a loving prick. I got him to no pixels on his health bar, the winning attacks queued up, and he then decided to chain Rush right into Earth Shaker. Instagibbed my entire party. I can't deal right now lol

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Off the top of my head math, if you're building up two bars before using them then I would fire off the Enwind first so your Imperil Wind (which I assume is Stellar Circle 5) has the +80% bonus Enwind grants SBs, you'd get more damage from that than you would the +20% Imperil's weakness gives you... but the problem I'm seeing here is, if that's your game plan, how are you taking advantage of your Imperil and BSB at all? How do you build up to two bars fast enough for that combo and then abuse having Enwind on an Imperiled enemy? Please report with findings because my sense of it is that being your own Imperiler is not feasible.

I don't have a preset "A team" like everyone else in this thread; I tend to take teams into content based on Realm synergy, so if it's an FF IX event, I use FF IX characters, with a preference for characters I actually have SB relics for, though I make exceptions based on if the fight needs specific skills brought for mastery. If I can't legitimately beat a fight using just characters with realm synergy, then I'll bring in a high level character from another realm who has access to what I need to make the fight work (I ended up taking Vaan into the Adamantoise fight in the XIII event just so I could have access to Mug Bloodlust for a third ATK breakdown effect... gently caress that stupid goddamn turtle dinosaur).

That said, I'm probably not going to ever be in a situation where Zidane's got two SB bars and can fire off both SBs back to back; I was mostly just curious for academic purposes.

On a completely unrelated note, the music in the Deep Sea Research Center in the latest Realm Dungeon update is "Blinded By Light" from FF XIII in my game; is that happening to anyone else?

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.

flowinprose posted:

I also have Cid Raines burst as my RW. BCq6 if anybody needs.

I added you, and proceeded to destroy the Power Couple. Thank you very much!

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

On a completely unrelated note, the music in the Deep Sea Research Center in the latest Realm Dungeon update is "Blinded By Light" from FF XIII in my game; is that happening to anyone else?

Ha I noticed that too. Thought it was just me.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Just went through the black waltzes.

R5 Wrath / BSB / Battleforged on Yshtola is amazing.

Snowspell strike / Indomitable blade / Love's Wake Celes is even better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If I had realized how loving ridiculous Runic is, I would have dumped all my OSBfest mithril on the FF6 banner instead :v:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I beat Steiner and Beatrix, but didn't master yet. I took in an Arc RW with his Insta-heal and physical blink combo, which worked quite well after any Climhazard. Unfortunately, the notes did not mention that Beatrix will immediately re-apply reflect if dispelled, so my plan to just have Vivi use Darkra on both did not materialize. If I go again, might just have Vivi save up some SB gauge and use Doublecast Decay.

EDIT: ^^^It really is ludicrous for some fights. Anytime the boss uses primarily black or white magic, it's an "I win" button, especially if you get some of the higher-tier spellblade abilities.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

When's the next time we can get a shot at Celes's Excalibur? I didn't realize I've been missing out.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

HPanda posted:

I beat Steiner and Beatrix, but didn't master yet. I took in an Arc RW with his Insta-heal and physical blink combo, which worked quite well after any Climhazard. Unfortunately, the notes did not mention that Beatrix will immediately re-apply reflect if dispelled, so my plan to just have Vivi use Darkra on both did not materialize. If I go again, might just have Vivi save up some SB gauge and use Doublecast Decay.

EDIT: ^^^It really is ludicrous for some fights. Anytime the boss uses primarily black or white magic, it's an "I win" button, especially if you get some of the higher-tier spellblade abilities.

I don't know what kind of team you have but Cid Raines RW on two mage characters melts Steiner/Beatrix.

I used my own Cid Raines, plus two other mages with a Cid RW and it was fast as gently caress. Make sure you only dps Steiner first.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zebia posted:

When's the next time we can get a shot at Celes's Excalibur? I didn't realize I've been missing out.
it hasn't reappeared on any regular banner from now to where Japan is.

It was in the Holy Sword Lucky Draw, Ultros Selection and the recent "Extreme Fest". Holy Sword came a bit after Tactics, no telling whether we'll get that or if Celescalibur will appear on it if we do.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Celes just got a BSB2 with built in Indomitable Blade effect in JP, so in 5 months that'll happen.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Combo posted:

I don't know what kind of team you have but Cid Raines RW on two mage characters melts Steiner/Beatrix.

I used my own Cid Raines, plus two other mages with a Cid RW and it was fast as gently caress. Make sure you only dps Steiner first.

Yup, that did it. My darkness mage team is a bit lackluster (really only have Edea's Inaugural Parade and ExDeath's Grand Cross, which while good, does nothing on this fight), but that RW did the trick. Just had to rely on a little RNG luck to not have my squishy mages gibbed near the beginning. Also lost OK and Vivi to the sap -> Climhazard combo, but it went quickly enough that it didn't matter.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I got a five star dagger and gave it to my main guy and now he kills everything in one hit. Does this game get harder or what

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Darth Windu posted:

I got a five star dagger and gave it to my main guy and now he kills everything in one hit. Does this game get harder or what

Yes, yes it does. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Holy sword banner was with the secret of mana collab so not likely :(

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I don't understand the diff between items and relics

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Darth Windu posted:

I don't understand the diff between items and relics

Relics is just the game's term for equipment.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Darth Windu posted:

Here's a very recent example of just how insane it can get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F2PkUL_UaE

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Darth Windu posted:

There's been a tremendous amount of power creep since the game launched, so you'll be able to go a very long way in the story dungeons with your 5* dagger and the super overpowered roaming warriors to melt bosses. Try not to get too bored, though, because the game can get really drat hard with its high-level event bosses. Really, events are where you're going to find your challenge unless you push deep into the "storyline" dungeons without upgrading your gear.

Inge posted:

Just went through the black waltzes.

R5 Wrath / BSB / Battleforged on Yshtola is amazing.

Snowspell strike / Indomitable blade / Love's Wake Celes is even better.

I just did the 200 in a group with 3 stacking faithgas (including braskas 3 turns of short charge), two alphinaud BSBs with Tiamat, and a Cid Raines BSB, and no runic. Our healer died on like turn 2, and we still managed to murder them before anyone else died. So much DPS...

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Haha that's brutal.

I generally play with pubbies, so I generally have to play mama bear to support and gently guide the clusterfuck to a win.

Tyro and Yshtola are the long-suffering parents in the broken foster home that is pubbie MP.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Inge posted:

Haha that's brutal.

I generally play with pubbies, so I generally have to play mama bear to support and gently guide the clusterfuck to a win.

Tyro and Yshtola are the long-suffering parents in the broken foster home that is pubbie MP.

You should consider organizing with goons on discord, it makes things way smoother to be able to work out what everyone is going to do beforehand. I've cleared about half MP stuff with pubbies and half with goons/reddit. Discord is just so much better its not even funny.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Those times where I can get up earlier it's amazing, but I live in GMT +8 so unless I get up around 5am before work I miss peak good times. But you're dead right, the difference is night and day

Unless there's a cohort of Japanese / Australian / South East Asian goons playing FFRK?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Inge posted:

Those times where I can get up earlier it's amazing, but I live in GMT +8 so unless I get up around 5am before work I miss peak good times. But you're dead right, the difference is night and day

Unless there's a cohort of Japanese / Australian / South East Asian goons playing FFRK?
I'm in GMT-10 so I'm often on at odd times.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm trying to take down the X Torment CM with a team that has no business even sniffing victory. But, I've gotta make an honest effort at it, and there's no stamina penalty for trying. The team you see below managed to get the boss down to 25% before I got done in by some bad RNG in the weak phase.

Only SBs of note are Tidus' SSB (3x water hits), Wakka's BSB, and Yuna's Hymn of the Fayth. I put a Red Cap on Payne to get the shared Attack Boost SB (and barely increase what tiny DPS I already have), and Braska has a light armor with a shared Shellga SB along with a shared Medica.

One change I can see making at this point is to also give Payne a shared Medica and spec her for MND as much as possible, and then she's literally only good for tanking and off-healing. Every bit of DPS in the fight will be in the hands of Tidus and Wakka. Only other thing I can think to do is sub out Wall (I saved it for the weak phase and it really didn't seem to make that huge an impact) and lug along Tidus' OSB or BSB to save for the weak phase and try to burn it down.

If I can somehow make this work I'd be beyond thrilled, and I can strive to continue not pulling relics in the realm. Otherwise, it's just two 6* crystals I'm chasing after and I'm not burning 50 mythril on a chance pull that I might get something that would actually help me in this.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm honestly not sure if I should pull on X or save it for the Tactics banner. My only X relics are Rikku's Master Thief fist, Wakka's All-Rounder, and Yuna's medica from the old Keeper's Choice, and there are a couple potential dupes for me on Tactics, most notably the Platinum Sword, Iga Blade, and Kaiser Shield. I wouldn't mind another Kaiser Shield that much, tbh, but dupe swords would kinda suck. Then again, dupes on X would suck really bad, too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Our own IX event winding down and JP's got these for their new one:

Steiner OSB - 1xST Overflow Fire/Lightning/Ice physical dmg, increased multiplier if enemy is weak/imperiled to Fire/Lightning/Ice

Vivi BSB2 - 6xAOE Fire/Lightning/Ice magic dmg, party MAG/RES +30%, Burst Mode
Attack-> 4xST Fire/Lightning/Ice magic dmg
Defend-> 2xAoE Fire/Non-ele magic dmg, self MAG +30% / DEF -30%

Zidane BSB2 - 9xST random ranged Wind/Non-ele physical dmg, EnWind, Burst Mode
Attack-> "Swift Steal" 2xST ranged Wind/Non-ele physical dmg, enemy ATK -20%, self ATK +20% up to 3 stacks (+- 60%)
Defend-> 2xST ranged Wind/Non-ele physical dmg, party ATK buff based on number of Swift Steal used.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Weird that Vivi and Steiner are getting tri-elemental relics with this event when they've both been almost exclusively fire-elemental up until now. Guess it makes them easier to fit into multiple team compositions at least.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

paperwind posted:

I'm trying to take down the X Torment CM with a team that has no business even sniffing victory. But, I've gotta make an honest effort at it, and there's no stamina penalty for trying. The team you see below managed to get the boss down to 25% before I got done in by some bad RNG in the weak phase.

I've been working on it myself. One thing I saw some success in was using Jecht with Piercing Strike. I saw someone say that on Reddit and sure enough that thing was doing some good damage, shouted it was getting like 9500. Even without Shout it hits for like 6.5k. My issue is I'm going to wind up having to replace one of my damagers with a second healer, probably, which will ruin my overall damage. With my current setup I can conceivably beat him with two shout charges. I actually have Chaos Rod which works well. I get him about 2/3rds down before he shits all over me. Once Tail comes into the rotation it gets rough. And worse I don't have any ranged Blitzballs or anything for X, so my guys are stuck in the front row to take the brunt of his attacks. I could bring in Braska and give him a shared heal but like I said it'll ruin my damage. Not having a full suite of water resist accessories certainly sucks. I could RW Wall but again my damage will suffer.

I think basically to win this I will need Yuna to basically have an entirely charged SB bar going into the boss, like the entire thing full. Cause when I have those things at the ready I can recover from just about anything. I've been giving her Lionheart RM thinking maybe in the long term that will help me better than Mako Might or what have you. But getting through the trash is a pain in the rear end. And I gotta hope they hit Yuna and charge her SB.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Cheers to the goons who helped me out on the waltzes, even if you did all drop out simultaneously

That was some seriously intense stuff at the end :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Some reddit guy made an effortpost ranking the best mage meta guys and I was pleasantly surprised to see that my girl Trepe is one of the best overall damage dealers, sat just below the top tier Raines/Maria/Papa/Edea/Rapha :unsmith:

Helps that poison is practically never resisted

• Locked thread