Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fryhtaning posted:

You just happened to sit next to Doreen? She's almost as much of a legend as Kintamayama on the sumoforums.

Yeah, we thought she was just an eccentric (yet helpful), old lady who really liked sumo - we hadn't watched any sumo before, so had no idea that there even was a Doreen Simmons. She was most unhappy that they hid the beer girls for the emperor's visit, cos she had to leave her seat to get one.

I didn't realise until a few months later when I was googling photos of rikishi and there was one with a familiar-looking old lady....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kakuryu has withdrawn, Kotoshogiku will get the walkover win.

That obviously sets up Hak vs Kise on day 15.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Rigel posted:

Kakuryu has withdrawn, Kotoshogiku will get the walkover win.

That obviously sets up Hak vs Kise on day 15.

Is Kakuryu injured or 'injured'?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Is Kakuryu injured or 'injured'?

probably "injured". He's 5-5, a lot of people were predicting it. You don't want to see a yokozuna get a losing record.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It seems like doing the fake injury thing at day 10 when he's doing so poorly would be basically the same as getting the make koshi, especially when he'd be about to go up against more of the top rankers.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, we thought she was just an eccentric (yet helpful), old lady who really liked sumo - we hadn't watched any sumo before, so had no idea that there even was a Doreen Simmons. She was most unhappy that they hid the beer girls for the emperor's visit, cos she had to leave her seat to get one.

I didn't realise until a few months later when I was googling photos of rikishi and there was one with a familiar-looking old lady....

Man that rules, I love when they have Doreen on the English NHK commentary. She's a treasure.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Elissimpark posted:

If you're quick with the online ticket site through the NSK, you can get masu seats - when I went in 2015, even though I ended up buying in the nosebleed section, I had the option of a box, but you'd need to be in on the day tix went on sale.

We ended up in the very back southwest corner (sumo west), but the view was great. We got to see the emperor too, and an old English lady (who I'm pretty sure was Doreen Simmons) explained some of the stuff going on for us.

The masu seats are gone way faster than they were going in 2015. I even managed to get a chair seat in the first row of chairs then (went with an older guy).

But yeah definitely buy from the Japanese NSK site so you are far from the foreigners on tour (not that they stay past Juryo anyway)

Sorry to the guy with Day 14 tickets, I'm not even sure how many Ozeki will still be in the tournament then, what a weird basho.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh well. I got to see Goeido clinch his yusho last time, that was pretty cool. Also about 50% of going is just being there and drinking with your pals. It has the feeling of an old ballpark in the US. Just an all around special atmosphere.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 11 is over. That was fun, a couple of good matches in there.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

The masu seats are gone way faster than they were going in 2015.

That's pretty fast - I was comparing days and prices for an hour when I bought and watched the seating slowly creep backwards with each enquiry!

I'm starting to really like Mitakeumi. He was interviewed again today - his voice doesn't match his face, so it seems like he's being dubbed. I guess I'm enjoying his fearless sumo too.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8As6sEDKZY

No big surprises today, but nothing is really a surprise anymore this basho.

lol Kise is gonna find a way to not win the yusho, I can feel it

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Queering Wheel posted:

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8As6sEDKZY

No big surprises today, but nothing is really a surprise anymore this basho.

lol Kise is gonna find a way to not win the yusho, I can feel it

I almost think it might be bad for him if Hak lost today to go two wins above him with 3 days left. That would put him in "oh wow, this is totally your tournament. You don't even need to beat hak now, just win your other 2 matches" territory, in which case he cracks, loses one, loses to hak to force a playoff, and falls apart.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Ikioi, Goeido, Hakuho, and ??? left for Kise. Even with the two Yoks out, that is not an easy finish to the basho. I always forget he and Takayasu are both from Naruto, so he doesn't have to go against him. He's already done the Sekiwakes, Tochinoshin is out, and he's already done all of M1-M4 (counting Ikioi tomorrow), which means probably.. oh poo poo, Takekaze. I think Kisenosato is patient enough to not fall for a Takekaze hatakikomi, but if the pressure is on I would not be one bit surprised if Takekaze pulled some serious evasive BS and beat him.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5gvabrXiOs&t=93s

Jonikuchi leader gets KO'd in about 5 strikes, quick response by the judges there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can only assume they were trying to let him save face by giving him time to recover and pick himself up. I missed the last basho, but when was the last time someone got knocked out cold or hurt so badly they had to be carried off the dohyo in juryo or makuuchi?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I can only assume they were trying to let him save face by giving him time to recover and pick himself up. I missed the last basho, but when was the last time someone got knocked out cold or hurt so badly they had to be carried off the dohyo in juryo or makuuchi?

I wanna say someone got knocked out two bashos ago but they didnt have to be stretchered off

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There's a big wheelchair they have and when stuff happens in Makuuchi it usually comes out pretty fast. Like, its hard to imagine they'd just leave Endo face down for a minute without anyone approaching him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sumotori rarely go for double-legs because you'll probably fall on your face, and it sure looked to me like Ura Pedigree'd himself before his opponent touched down.

I've never seen Gagamaru just clothesline a guy before. I don't even like Gagamaru but that was fun.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Kotoyuki KOed Hidenoumi just last basho. https://vimeo.com/193169357

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its early, but if Kotoshogiku gets his 8th loss and decides not to retire, we could have a bit of rare banzuke weirdness in March. Shodai is probably going to be out of the Sanyaku ranks when he gets his 8th loss since Mitakeumi is likely going to be grabbing Tochinoshin's spot, but if Tamawashi gets his 8th win to keep his rank and Takayasu forces things by winning 10 or 11, we could have 3 at Sekiwake.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I am quickly becoming a fan of Hokutofuji. The way he kept fighting back and being persistent in his Day 11 match was awesome to watch.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezI-DC0DqA

Shame about Giku losing Ozeki rank :(

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 19, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

He looked almost relieved as he sat down.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Goeido reportedly hurt his ankle and has withdrawn. He must really be hurt for them to let him withdraw because it means that Kisenosato will get the walkover victory for day 13.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

On Day 14 Takanoiwa (M10, 10-2) will be pulled up to fight Hakuho, and Ichijono (M13, 10-2) will be pulled up to face Kisenosato. So those two lower-ranked guys would need to earn the Yusho.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ichinojo is competitive when he isn't hurt, so he isn't going to be a walkover for Kise. Don't know enough about Takanoiwa though

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wow, I wonder if Kise would get the promotion if he goes 14-1 without having to face 2 yokozuna and 1 ozeki (while getting a freebie for not fighting said ozeki). They might expect another 13-2 performance with at least the jun-yusho. If that happens, I wonder how many other ozeki have ever won 74 (assuming he goes 14-1 without the promo) out of 90 in a year's worth of basho without somehow qualifying for a promotion along the way. The best I see from Kaio is 69 in 6 basho as ozeki (1 yusho and 1 jun), and 70 in 6 basho (2 basho in sanyaku, 2 yusho and 0 jun) when he first became ozeki. Kise already has 72 with 2 more matches to go, and will likely either have 5 jun-yusho or 4 jun and 1 yusho. Incredible, regardless of how you feel about his "choking".

For comparison's sake, Kakuryu won 71 in his best streak including his yokozuna promotion, and Harumafuji also won 74 in his best streak - including three 15-0 performances when he was also promoted.

e: holy poo poo look at babby M16 Kisenosato https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ECzQYUkHoE

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

With the way both other Yokos were performing, surely he would have beaten them, so I would hope if he beats Hakuho straight up and wins the whole thing, they would promote him.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I mean he did come in second and beat all the yokozuna in November, but 12-3 just seems a win short of a yusho-level jun-yusho to me. Did the association say he was a promotion candidate this basho?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

I mean he did come in second and beat all the yokozuna in November, but 12-3 just seems a win short of a yusho-level jun-yusho to me. Did the association say he was a promotion candidate this basho?

They were not clear, they kinda said that a 15-0 would be good enough, and short of that, maybe a "dominating" yusho, but no promises.

We're not going to get that with kisenosato potentially facing only hakuho and 3 ozeki. But if he did get to 14-1, then things get interesting. On one side this is just about the easiest tournament victory you could imagine. On the other side of the debate though you of course have the strong desire for a Japanese yokozuna, and you also have to keep in mind that we're not talking about a new ozeki here, he's been around for a long, long time with a very long history of solid performances and occasionally fighting like a yokozuna but falling short because of Hakuho. If its a coin flip in their mind, they may give it to him.

If not, then I imagine 13 wins in March would get Kisenosato over the line.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I won't support promoting Kisenosato to Yokozuna unless he sings in the next sumo theme song video.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I'd buy arguments for Kise that his extended consistency has given him everything short of a Championship for promotion and any win would put him over the top. Or winning 2016 overall counts for something.

I just think it would really suck for the guy to finally get the monkey off his back and then do something like go 12-3 and finish 3rd in March and still not get it.

Although there's a part of me that thinks he might be better off not getting it. His 2nd place gimmick makes him a dominant Ozeki, but if he can't finish again as a Yok, he'd be remembered a lot differently.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I did not understand almost any word spoken in this video, but after seeing this, I'm just gonna say a 14-1 yusho by kise = yokozuna promotion, full stop. This video is probably amusing to see even if you (like myself) dont speak the language at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0_pSU7Sx2k

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

pseudodragon posted:

Although there's a part of me that thinks he might be better off not getting it. His 2nd place gimmick makes him a dominant Ozeki, but if he can't finish again as a Yok, he'd be remembered a lot differently.

Yeah, this. Dropping the two consecutive championships rule for Kisenosato despite his good Ozeki performances would not be a good look if he ended up not winning another yusho as Yokozuna. I'm sure the YDC factors this in. What good is a new Japanese Yokozuna if he ends up being a disappointment?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57jnLU0iahE

Ura is so drat cool. Can't wait to see him in makuuchi.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
How do the match fixing conspiracy theorists explain how Kisenosato isn't Yokozuna by now? Why would the powers that be pick Kotoshogiku and Goeido to win a basho rather than the guy with the most wins in 2016?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

How do the match fixing conspiracy theorists explain how Kisenosato isn't Yokozuna by now? Why would the powers that be pick Kotoshogiku and Goeido to win a basho rather than the guy with the most wins in 2016?

And then have a demoted Kotoshogiku as the one who has essentially put Kisenosato in a must-win position for his last 2 matches. :iiam:

Rigel posted:

On the other side of the debate though you of course have the strong desire for a Japanese yokozuna, and you also have to keep in mind that we're not talking about a new ozeki here, he's been around for a long, long time with a very long history of solid performances and occasionally fighting like a yokozuna but falling short because of Hakuho. If its a coin flip in their mind, they may give it to him.

And yet they promoted the Mongolian Kakuryu with 1 yusho and fewer wins than Kisenosato has put together in his current run. I personally think it'll be a crime if he doesn't get it with a 14-1 showing, but at least that would shut up the people who think the kyokai play favorites with Japanese.

One thing I think Kisenosato has going for him is that he is as strong and healthy as ever, with almost all of the other yoks and ozeki now past their prime. I have a feeling Terunofuji will never have a prime with his injuries, too. I have no doubt he'll be able to wrestle for at least a few more years and put up another yusho or three if he is promoted after a yusho.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
It would be unfair for Kisenosato not to get a promotion if he wins after Kakuryu got his. I don't think they should have promoted kakuryu though.

I hope this Basho has the kyokai seriously looking at allowing guys to take time off without getting demoted though. Practically everyone except Kisenosato is busted up.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
At the end of the day, in my mind, it really becomes an argument for how much you want to punish a guy (who would most likely have already been promoted were it not for Hakuho) for just having the bad luck of existing in the span of time where the greatest sumo wrestler of all time happens to be competing as well.

As much as I consider Kise a choker (and I used to until I took a longer view on the greatness of Hakuho), objectively looking at his competition, it is tough to argue against a promotion if he goes 14-1 while also beating Hakuho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i can argue against it: the standard has long been (although unofficially) 2 consecutive yusho. if he wins the next one, sure. even if he gets to a playoff in the next one, OK. but i don't think just getting his first one is enough, even though he's been second 12 times. he hasn't won the ones where hakuho has been out or subpar, so i don't see any reason to believe he would rack up many more wins as a yokozuna