Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is still leagues more civil than most threads in games get when there are large playerbase-fracturing debates, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Antti posted:

The Road Not Taken, Harry Turtledove.

I just read this and it's loving awesome. Thank you for that.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm personally not touching LW2. Matter of preference. Some of the changes don't really gel with my playstyle,honestly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Shortest Path posted:

This is still leagues more civil than most threads in games get when there are large playerbase-fracturing debates, so :shrug:

it is, yes.

my concern stems from the history here. long war got so divisive in the XCOM 1 thread that the slapfights didn't die down for literally an entire year, and during that period those slapfights infected no fewer than 3 other threads, one of which someone had to get probated out of because they just would not shut the ever living gently caress up.

when something is divisive and you add on a value proposition (e.g., the balance vs moddability argument) things are just guaranteed to get out of control, and fast. even personally, i actually agree very strongly with jabor but it doesn't even matter, the argument will absolutely suppress other discussion if it gets out of hand.

again though, i DO have a plan for this and i'm just waiting to hear back from VideoGames on my idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have a XCOM long war thread then. vOv

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

considering the argument's known affinity for jumping not just threads but subforums i have zero hope that that would help the matter

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am excited for long war 2. You get used to the variable damage and rely more on flanking instead of flattening.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm wondering if we're going to get a good DLC/expansion down the road, though. Alien Hunters was... divisive... and I found Shen's Last Gift pretty meh. Fun mission, but I don't like MECs in Enemy Within and don't like Sparks now.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Personally, I'm excited for LW2, with the caveat that I will wait a while until people identify the most tedious bullshit aspects of it, and then I will alter the mod files to remove them. (I already know I'll be tightening the "dodge band" to like 2%.) I loved LW, but a version of it where the air game was much gentler, the arc thrower wasn't totally crippled, and things weren't quite so ludicrously expensive.

Iron Rose (I think? it's been a while) shared a meta-mod that took out a lot of the worst points for LW1 back in the LP thread of that mod, so if you like the sound of the new classes and such but are put off by the masochism, you can probably dig it up. And if no one else beats me to it, I'll eventually share a custom mod file.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yep, rose did a great job on LW1's various components - her work is still in the third OP where i talk a bit about EU/EW

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Bremen posted:

This is actually one change I didn't really like in XCOM2. It makes using a mix of lots of classes much more expensive than just a few; it's one of the issues Sparks have, for instance.

That's actually The Damned by Alan Dean Foster. And just to add to it, Humans also end up with crazy psychic powers.

Old Man's War is very different, and is in some ways sort of a rejection of the "humans are special" genre (in that humans are "special" in being assholes that everyone hates).

Thanks, I always get The Damned, Old Man's War, and Forever War mixed up since I read them all around the same time and they were pretty similar.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Exposure posted:

A more detailed list of combat changes has been posted:

It sounds bad, just making the game harder and harder. I guess their real target is the people who have played for so long they can game the AI and rolls so they're bored of the game now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Coolguye posted:

yep, rose did a great job on LW1's various components - her work is still in the third OP where i talk a bit about EU/EW

I need to go back and do a full, thorough playthrough of LW1 so I will look this up.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
They suggested that LW2 might be released earlier than the original launch date given. Here's hopin'!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There was a launch date other than "very soon"?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Berserkers are pretty hilarious, they just ping pong back and forth between your dudes and then die. Like, I'm sure their melee attacks hurt like hell, but there's no way one ever survives long enough to get a proper turn.

I'm also starting to see where the need for a big roster comes into play. I have 55 dudes and am down to 12 that aren't fatigued/wounded, and I just shot down a raider and have to go mop it up. Hopefully nothing important happens for a day or two after that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Hopefully nothing important happens for a day or two after that.
hahahhahahahhahahahhahah

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Anyone have any tips that would specifically be helpful for terror missions? They're the missions that scare me the most appropriately enough. I'm farther along than I have been so far, everyone has magnetic or gauss weaponry and I'm researching predator armor.

Also isn't there some kind of audio cue when a car is about to explode? I lost a squaddie sharpshooter to a car blowing up, and I thought people usually scream and complain about them the turn before.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Coolguye posted:

hahahhahahahhahahahhahah

Hey, it happens. Sometimes.

Seriously though, the game seems to like to throw several things at you back to back, then ease off for two or three days. Worse comes to worst, I'll just not go after a downed ship.

Node posted:

Also isn't there some kind of audio cue when a car is about to explode? I lost a squaddie sharpshooter to a car blowing up, and I thought people usually scream and complain about them the turn before.

Avoid hiding behind vehicles if at all possible. A lot of the time, they take enough damage to blow up with no warning.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, vehicles in both games blow up based on damage, if you do enough to set it on fire, it blows up next turn, blow past that far enough and it will detonate on the spot. I don't know about in LW1 as far as what damage sets the thresholds though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BexGu posted:

That looks like the player goes through an absolute shitload of recruits.
Which worries me in not just things people have already stated, like having to build individual weapons and armors, but more fundamentally, on the extreme granularity of stats on each soldier.

See, part of what I liked about XCOM (and much moreso, XCOM2) is how easy it is to make each soldier distinct. Visually, in terms of skills, with their unique AWC perk, etc. Over the course of the campaign your [surviving] soldiers came into their own and you sort of got a feel for what each one was capable of, mentally keeping track of them, using them to their best capability, and growing attached to them, which made it all the more devastating when they died.
With LW, soldiers are just grist for the mill. Why bother naming or customizing them? Even if literally none died, keeping a mental roster of 40-60 soldiers is not going to happen. Every soldier has super specific stats now but to what end? What does that enrich?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Zore posted:

Hahahaha, jesus christ

Some of this sounds absolutely terrible. Building individual arms when you're encouraging like 100 soldiers with multiple missions running at once in particular sounds really loving stupid.

MORE IS LONGER BABY

Love them nerfing the only useful combat aspect of Phantom rangers. Catching a patrolling pod flat-footed? Good God, we couldn't have that sort of tactical advmaladaptive tactics

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TK-42-1 posted:

I just read this and it's loving awesome. Thank you for that.

One of my favorite stories ever.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Cythereal posted:

but I don't like MECs in Enemy Within

What the hell is wrong with you

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Node posted:

Anyone have any tips that would specifically be helpful for terror missions? They're the missions that scare me the most appropriately enough. I'm farther along than I have been so far, everyone has magnetic or gauss weaponry and I'm researching predator armor.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, vehicles in both games blow up based on damage, if you do enough to set it on fire, it blows up next turn, blow past that far enough and it will detonate on the spot. I don't know about in LW1 as far as what damage sets the thresholds though.

Yeah, alien grenades will set them off immediately which will be to your advantage eventually, so don't use them for cover after mutons appear and don't go near them if they're on fire. Cars that start out on the map on fire are fine I believe.

For terror missions I recommend having someone with the phantom perk so you have one concealed scout, other than that have the person furthest in the back double move into solid cover and keep everyone else behind them. I usually end up double moving 90% of the time on the first round, after that it's overwatch, if you clear an area generally the civilians behind you will be fine, faceless are chumps after you get magnetic weapons and if you have battle scanners, feel free to chuck em around.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vib Rib posted:

Which worries me in not just things people have already stated, like having to build individual weapons and armors, but more fundamentally, on the extreme granularity of stats on each soldier.

See, part of what I liked about XCOM (and much moreso, XCOM2) is how easy it is to make each soldier distinct. Visually, in terms of skills, with their unique AWC perk, etc. Over the course of the campaign your [surviving] soldiers came into their own and you sort of got a feel for what each one was capable of, mentally keeping track of them, using them to their best capability, and growing attached to them, which made it all the more devastating when they died.
With LW, soldiers are just grist for the mill. Why bother naming or customizing them? Even if literally none died, keeping a mental roster of 40-60 soldiers is not going to happen. Every soldier has super specific stats now but to what end? What does that enrich?

You actually can't keep track of 60 soldiers at once, in any sense of the word, it's physically impossible with the way the human brain is structured. That's why rank delegation exists.

This is why I don't like meatgrinders being modded into a game like this, because the original intent was for you to get attached to your squad so you would behave better tactically. Giving me a huge number of soldiers (or requiring me to field a huge number of soldiers like in LW1) just turns them into pieces on a board, that's fine enough if that's the intent, but the soldiers in XCOM are given just enough humanity that I feel awful doing that. While a real general would have to be willing to treat his soldiers like that in some circumstances, that's where the delegation comes in, the general would (outside of a modern army) probably never have to even see the soldiers he's sending out up close.

Meanwhile XCOM2 puts your soldiers front and center with things like the Skyranger loading screens, the loadout and level up screens, even choosing who to deploy lets you get one last good look at the faces of the men and women you're about to send out to possibly die.

This is also why I can't play Ironman, too much empathy, I guess.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Akratic Method posted:

Personally, I'm excited for LW2, with the caveat that I will wait a while until people identify the most tedious bullshit aspects of it, and then I will alter the mod files to remove them. (I already know I'll be tightening the "dodge band" to like 2%.) I loved LW, but a version of it where the air game was much gentler, the arc thrower wasn't totally crippled, and things weren't quite so ludicrously expensive.

Iron Rose (I think? it's been a while) shared a meta-mod that took out a lot of the worst points for LW1 back in the LP thread of that mod, so if you like the sound of the new classes and such but are put off by the masochism, you can probably dig it up. And if no one else beats me to it, I'll eventually share a custom mod file.

I played LW1 like this and I'll play LW2 the same way. My initial playthrough is going to be pretty heavily nerfed so I can enjoy the optimization power fantasy without the frustration. I may do harder runs later but personally I never really found the "challenging" aspects of XCOM (things like keeping track of possible threats and utilizing a basic knowledge of probabilities and opportunity costs) very engaging. If I'm looking for a challenge, I prefer games like Dark Souls or competitive multiplayer games such as League or Titanfall 2 where the difficulty lies more in real time situational awareness and decision making.

Kwyndig posted:

You actually can't keep track of 60 soldiers at once, in any sense of the word, it's physically impossible with the way the human brain is structured. That's why rank delegation exists.

...? I don't think that's...very accurate. We're not talking about tracking 60 individual actors in real time, we're talking about keeping a mental list of 60 soldiers and general traits tied to them. I'm pretty sure the average school principal mentally keeps track of a lot more information about a lot more individuals than we will ever be required to in LW2. My elementary school had about 200 students and I guarantee you the principal knew everyone's name, their parent's names, their grade, and had a general idea of what was going on with them, without referring to any written information.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

X-COM was all about reserves and letting the rookie be the one to exit the skyranger first. That's probably why it's in the grog version of XCOM/2

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

dyzzy posted:

I mean, I assume production costs won't be vanilla levels of resources given that each item must be made individually. That seems like a given.

Why not? LW 1.0 was all about resource grinding for the vast majority of the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

...? I don't think that's...very accurate. We're not talking about tracking 60 individual actors in real time, we're talking about keeping a mental list of 60 soldiers and general traits tied to them. I'm pretty sure the average school principal mentally keeps track of a lot more information about a lot more individuals than we will ever be required to in LW2. My elementary school had about 200 students and I guarantee you the principal knew everyone's name, their parent's names, their grade, and had a general idea of what was going on with them, without referring to any written information.
And here I thought I was the only one to treat tactical combat games they were meant to be treated: As full-time paid occupations and / or a life's calling

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Cythereal posted:

I'm wondering if we're going to get a good DLC/expansion down the road, though. Alien Hunters was... divisive... and I found Shen's Last Gift pretty meh. Fun mission, but I don't like MECs in Enemy Within and don't like Sparks now.

I'll repost something I posted elsewhere which was essentially reposting old information. Repost.

quote:

Between the launch of Alien Rulers and Shen's Last Gift, they included a bunch of WIP references to new environment tiles. Some of these were for Shen's Last Gift, but some were not, and were promptly removed IIRC.

Noticeably, these all have a suffix of XPACK. While you could make the argument that these are for the DLCs, the DLC environment stuff either had no suffix, or was DLC60 or DLC90 (DLC30 being for Anarchy's Children).

This to me heavily indicates the possibility of a expansion pack for XCOM 2. Whether it's been scrapped since then, we don't know. However, it does atleast indicate it was being worked on at one point.

If I had to hazard any type of guess as to when it'd be announced, however, it'll either be completely out of the blue, or during one of the PAXs.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Basic Chunnel posted:

And here I thought I was the only one to treat tactical combat games they were meant to be treated: As full-time paid occupations and / or a life's calling

Obviously the level of effort and engagement are completely different, I'm merely pointing out that the idea of tracking a couple variables that define 60 or so individuals is far from "physically impossible with the way the human brain is structured."

But you knew that and were just being snarky so that's cool too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Antti posted:

The Road Not Taken, Harry Turtledove.

This is fun.

His longer form stuff is downright stupid.

Yet I couldnt stop reading 'Space aliens interrupt WW2'

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

longwar 1 was a lot of fun, and i bet longwar 2 will also be a lot of fun. :)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I had to evac from a supply raid, Arnold went down. RIP. Does doing that that seriously remove your resistance tower and contact with that region? Because it just did. I thought only failed terror missions did that.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Jetamo posted:

If I had to hazard any type of guess as to when it'd be announced, however, it'll either be completely out of the blue, or during one of the PAXs.

A quality Terror From the Deep pun right here.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Node posted:

I had to evac from a supply raid, Arnold went down. RIP. Does doing that that seriously remove your resistance tower and contact with that region? Because it just did. I thought only failed terror missions did that.

yep, failing or ignoring supply raids loses regions for some reason. its really really dumb.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the idea is that the resistance in the region puts themselves out on a limb for you and if you can't sanitize the site for them they get reprisal attacks hard plus they think you don't have their back. It's still dumb.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

I think the idea is that the resistance in the region puts themselves out on a limb for you and if you can't sanitize the site for them they get reprisal attacks hard plus they think you don't have their back. It's still dumb.

Arnie went down. Don't they get that? That's mission over. That's campaign over. That should add 1000 ticks to the Avatar Project meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

How stable does the game run for everyone? I lost two Ironman campaigns due to file corruption following a crash.
I dont really want to upgrade my old win7 machine until I get around to getting new components.