Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BWV posted:

Raps were missing important players and their shooters went cold. That and their coach is a moron who still plays Demare Carroll and Joel Embiid is the greatest player in NBA history.

https://twitter.com/Sixers/status/821909082101743617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

I like that that doesn't show Covington also blocking Lowry about a second before that video starts

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Every time I watch embiid play I have to walk myself back from genuinely asserting we are watching the birth of he greatest big man since wilt

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

You're not as excited as I am to watch the Nuggets get pasted in the 1st round by GSW? Again?

edit: On the plus side even if they get smashed in the 1st round, if Jokic looks good they might be able to finally attract a free agent with some name recognition. They have wads of money to dump on pretty much anybody. I think Gallinari is the only meaningful expiring contract this year.

lol if you think josh "waiving mo williams for 2 mil" kroenke is goinna dump wads of money on anyone

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
but i mean. what gm wouldnt love to trade for and immediately waive mo williams. thats gotta feel good on a visceral level

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Like most close Raptors games in the Casey era, we ran about 8 isolations for DeRozan and Lowry at the end of the game.

The world continues to spin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time posted:

Every time I watch embiid play I have to walk myself back from genuinely asserting we are watching the birth of he greatest big man since wilt

Wilt couldnt hit 3s

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Wilt couldnt hit 3s

He probably would have if it had existed before he retired

Mainly to piss off his coach, but he would shoot them

stfuDonny
Jun 20, 2005

Inconceivable.
Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

Ben McLemore is really good and yall sleeping on him

This is what I hope the GM we're trading him to thinks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

if wilt was an good they would have changed the rules for him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

Wilt couldnt hit 3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NRImfBjqE

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
James Harden is terrifying when he's on

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers are winning too many games

Tank for Fultz damnit

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Portland is the worst team in the league relative to their talent

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I know I'm a broken record at this point, but Stotts should absolutely be fired

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

straight up brolic posted:

I know I'm a broken record at this point, but Stotts should absolutely be fired

Yeah I don't think he's a bad coach or anything but they definitely need a shakeup of some sort

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Also this is the critical flaw in Hinkie's plan which I've been saying from the beginning. Once the draft yields a star, you are immediately too good to contend for the top pick. Even with Embiid, who sat out two years (which was definitely not intentional), they only got one other potential all-star. Won't be able to win a title without a bunch of other pieces.

The stockpiled assets they have are only going to yield a mild haul (four mid-firsts in next two years).

That being said though, the franchise is definitely in a better place now than he found it--i just don't know if being intentionally bad for so long was worth it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don't understand that team at all. They lose 4/5 starters in one offseason and look at good as before, then keep things the same and fall apart. What's going on up there?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't understand that team at all. They lose 4/5 starters in one offseason and look at good as before, then keep things the same and fall apart. What's going on up there?

they were bad but had one really really hot month

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Terry Stotts has individually lost 3-5 games with specific situational coaching decisions, but mostly they have the 3rd defense in the league. With their personnel, they should be bad, but not that bad.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Also this is the critical flaw in Hinkie's plan which I've been saying from the beginning. Once the draft yields a star, you are immediately too good to contend for the top pick. Even with Embiid, who sat out two years (which was definitely not intentional), they only got one other potential all-star. Won't be able to win a title without a bunch of other pieces.

The stockpiled assets they have are only going to yield a mild haul (four mid-firsts in next two years).

That being said though, the franchise is definitely in a better place now than he found it--i just don't know if being intentionally bad for so long was worth it

Well if Embiid isn't injured (and somehow still makes it to us at 3, just roll with me here), it's only being intentionally bad for a single year (the MCW-Noel draft class), then you land your superstar and It's all good.

Embiid being hurt lengthened things by 2 years, and like you said, landed them another potential All Star (1 for 2 in that regard).

Also, the ProcessTM was also not just about the superstar/winning the lottery, but savvy trades/cap management so that when your superstar/all stars are ready and you are "too good" to have that first pick, you have ammo to finish the roster. That's where Hinkie shined. Having the Lakers pick, the Kings swap, and the UNPROTECTED Kings 2019 pick is a bigger part of this than people seem to realize when they strictly focus on Noel/Embiid/Okafor/Simmons

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

The Glumslinger posted:

he'd put up one season of 50% three point shooting just to gently caress with everyone

e: re: Hinkie, the 76ers seem like they're in a pretty good spot to me. Of course the Colangelos will gently caress it up, just watch

chunkles fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 19, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Timberwolves have a star and they're still poo poo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Problem is if you fire a coach now, who do you even hire?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

Problem is if you fire a coach now, who do you even hire?

Kevin McHale!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

like any defense first assistant (if assistants can be hired mid-season?)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

like any defense first assistant (if assistants can be hired mid-season?)

Probably depends on their contract. U of H hired Sampson right before the playoffs, but he had an out for any head coaching position.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Speaking of defense, Rockets had 11 blocks and 9 steals tonight :eyepop:

I'm glad they won but I miss my reckless 25 feet shooting Rockets team

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

So with Hinkie, I think can only be evaluated under the auspices of his goals--which were to stockpile assets and trade tangibles until he could build a team that could challenge for the title.

Given the Thunder as a team that made the NBA finals with three superstars conveyed through the draft and one minor star, if we even grant the idea that Embiid and Simmons are superstars, he's still two core pieces away from a finals caliber team after being intentionally bad for a long time.

I don't disagree with any of the moves he made individually, as he got solid return for value, but as a strategy it hasn't been proven as worthy of imitation

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Even the best and most well-executed strategy for finals contention (which is draft the only superstar who wants to live in Ohio, alienate him until he leaves and then build up your team through the draft until he returns) probably has a less than 10% chance of getting you to the finals though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

So with Hinkie, I think can only be evaluated under the auspices of his goals--which were to stockpile assets and trade tangibles until he could build a team that could challenge for the title.

Given the Thunder as a team that made the NBA finals with three superstars conveyed through the draft and one minor star, if we even grant the idea that Embiid and Simmons are superstars, he's still two core pieces away from a finals caliber team after being intentionally bad for a long time.

I don't disagree with any of the moves he made individually, as he got solid return for value, but as a strategy it hasn't been proven as worthy of imitation

The Sixers haven't been as lucky as the Thunder were either. Like Durant was a much more sure thing than any of the players the Sixers drafted were.

I'm not even really sure the Sixers can be fully used as a counter argument to the strategy though just to all their bad luck. And now that Coangelo's in charge I'm really skeptical that it's gonna work because Coangelo is a known bad drafter.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Blazers need a dose of George Karl immediately

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Getting the Star is the hard part. From here on out it's on the Front office to not be incompetent. While fostering an environment for your star player to succeed.

Look at what the Bulls are doing with Jimmy Butler...And do the exact opposite.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Is Lillard's defense fixable? I'm a Blazers fan but don't follow basketball in general enough to know the nuances of basketball coacahing. By all accounts he's a hard worker, so is it just a coaching deficiency or is he just never going to be good at that aspect of the game?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dphi posted:

Is Lillard's defense fixable? I'm a Blazers fan but don't follow basketball in general enough to know the nuances of basketball coacahing. By all accounts he's a hard worker, so is it just a coaching deficiency or is he just never going to be good at that aspect of the game?
I really don't think so––in the sense that he'll never be average. He's an average on-ball guy and he has fine athleticism, but he just gets wiped out by screens every time and guys put him in jail (where the defending player is guarding the back of the scoring player). If he was going to figure it out by now I think he would have. He and McCollum are individually two of the worst PnR defenders in the league.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I guess I take umbrage at the "for such a long time" part because a) 3 years isn't that long and b) they found the superstar after 1 year, but his injuries made the tanking go on longer.

But at the end of the day you have:

Potential superstar (Embiid)
Potential all star (Simmons)
Potential good bench piece (Śaric)

Tradeable asset (Okafor)
Tradeable asset (Noel)
2017 Lakers pick
2 years of pick swaps
2019 kings pick
Serviceable defensive rotation player (Covington)

Plus your own picks in 2017, 2018, and 2019

That's the ammunition I'm talking about. Everything under that first three pieces is tradeable in some combination to get you the other piece you need.

In addition to having ungodly amounts of cap space.

e: \/ layups, dunks, and 3s :eng101:

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 19, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
If Embiid turns out like we all hope, I believe the 76ers can win a championship with only 1 other superstar or a lot of good roleplayers.

I feel like being able to do layups/dunks all the time and carrying the defensive load allows the team to find players of less in demand skills sets, making this path the most easy to a championship.

edit: thanks, public works project and ScooterMctiny for the indy update. sucks your coach turned out like everyone thought.

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 19, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We really need to stop calling Ben Simmons a potential anything when he hasn't even played a game. I had an argument on Twitter the other day with a rando saying he was a potential hall of fame player, which also applies to literally everyone before they actually play.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

aBagorn posted:

I guess I take umbrage at the "for such a long time" part because a) 3 years isn't that long and b) they found the superstar after 1 year, but his injuries made the tanking go on longer.

But at the end of the day you have:

Potential superstar (Embiid)
Potential all star (Simmons)
Potential good bench piece (Śaric)

Tradeable asset (Okafor)
Tradeable asset (Noel)
2017 Lakers pick
2 years of pick swaps
2019 kings pick
Serviceable defensive rotation player (Covington)

Plus your own picks in 2017, 2018, and 2019

That's the ammunition I'm talking about. Everything under that first three pieces is tradeable in some combination to get you the other piece you need.

In addition to having ungodly amounts of cap space.

e: \/ layups, dunks, and 3s :eng101:
That ammunition is all average though. I highly doubt that anything but the Kings 2019 pick will convey in the top 5 and that's a complete unknown. Sixers look like they'll have the same exact record as the Kings for the swap this year.

Embiid only went 3 because he was hurt for a year.

3 years of intentionally being bad is a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

We're halfway through the season.

-Curry/Durant are on pace to become the best shooting duo in NBA history.

-The 2017 GSW are on pace to be the best shooting team of all-time.

-The GSW are #1 in both team ORtg and DRtg.

-Spurs are #4 in both are are also the best 3P team as they have like ten guys shooting 40% or better from that range.

The Glumslinger posted:

I wrote a big effort post on reddit about how 90s and early 2000s basketball, basically how guys like Kobe and Iverson are still all-timers despite how ineffecient they were compared to the current NBA, but mainly it just shows off how much better then NBA is to watch these days

Not in there, but also FTA/G are near an alltime low, the last 6 seasons are the bottom 6 seasons in FTA/G

Also, Pace is no where near all-time highs, so don't worry about inflated stats, we are still 5 possession per game below the majority of the 80s, and 11 below the alltime high of the 73-74 season

Interestingly, from 1995 - 2004 the guy with the best shooting season in the whole league was 2004 Peja Stojakovic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAyNFLXF-_k

R.D. Mangles posted:

There's only one thing an Eastern Conference GM can do to get to the finals and that's to acquire LeBron. Everything else is pointless.

Pay LBJ one billion dollars to take a vacation.

• Locked thread