Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

The Big Jesus posted:

So if the Titans take Mike Williams at the 5, who do we take with the later pick?

The other Mike Williams, when they realize they accidentally drafted USC Mine Williams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Big Jesus posted:

So if the Titans take Mike Williams at the 5, who do we take with the later pick?

Best available corner

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Big Jesus posted:

Trade it to the Browns for two more future firsts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So what the Browns gonna do? Take Myles Garrett or trade the first for like 5 future firsts and thus 5 busts?

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Gatts posted:

So what the Browns gonna do? Take Myles Garrett or trade the first for like 5 future firsts and thus 5 busts?

Trade with the Jets and they'll both gently caress up their picks.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Deshaun Watson has declined his Senior Bowl invite. This could indicate that he thinks he's a lock for a high 1st pick but Teddy also skipped and he fell to the end of the round.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

Deshaun Watson has declined his Senior Bowl invite. This could indicate that he thinks he's a lock for a high 1st pick but Teddy also skipped and he fell to the end of the round.

Hahahahaha, I laugh so hard when reminded of the circumstances of Teddy's draft position.

Poor loving Texans. And they didn't get Carr either!

:lol::circlefap::lol::circlefap::lol::circlefap::lol::circlefap::lol:

I haven't ever had more fun watching the draft, and I never will again.

Every loving quarterback to come out of the first 2 rounds of that draft is worlds better than anything the Texans have trotted out at QB since. And yes, that includes Johnny Manziel, somehow.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 18, 2017

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/821748209106173952

Gatts posted:

Take the BPA on their board or trade down. They seem to be getting better about the draft with the analytics guys in place.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chilichimp posted:

Every loving quarterback to come out of the first 2 rounds of that draft is worlds better than anything the Texans have trotted out at QB since. And yes, that includes Johnny Manziel, somehow.

Fitzpatrick as a Texan was way better than JFF but otherwise yes

Also Hoyer had a really solid season that was overshadowed by his playoff meltdown

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'd be cool with this happening to Watson too

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why would anyone even want to trade up in this draft? Garrett is the 1a but has questions about him, Allen is unexciting but looks to be very good, and then a whole lot of 'eh he's ok I guess' where you'd hope to draft those players at #10 instead of #3-5.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

No one thought teams would spend the draft capital to trade up for Wentz/Goff and here we are.

It's way too early in the process to measure hype + team desperation.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

mastershakeman posted:

Why would anyone even want to trade up in this draft? Garrett is the 1a but has questions about him, Allen is unexciting but looks to be very good, and then a whole lot of 'eh he's ok I guess' where you'd hope to draft those players at #10 instead of #3-5.

Desperation to get "their guy" at qb, stupidity, fear that someone else will trade ahead of you to get the guy you want.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's way too early in the process to measure hype + team desperation.

It's amazing how many times I have to say this and people will still come into draft threads making claims and arguing about them when no one will be right come April.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Imagine trading for Goff and keeping your job.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine passing up coordinating an offense featuring Shady and Sammy and Woods to take a job as a position coach where your task is to make Jared Goff good

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Half the guys pegged for round 1 right now end up being Day 2 or worse picks come April.

Still waiting for Marqise Lee to become a superstar.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't care I want my mock drafts

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

texans: probably taco charlton lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Would you like some Brad Kaaya?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hue is coaching in the Senior Bowl this year to. There's been some excitement that he'd use the chance to evaluate potential qb's. Looks like Watson is purposely avoiding a possible Browns pick.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

corn on the cop posted:

Half the guys pegged for round 1 right now end up being Day 2 or worse picks come April.

Still waiting for Marqise Lee to become a superstar.

Same

God dammit, you were the supposed to be the chosen one :negative:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The wide receiver class from that year really threw me for a loop.

My rankings were Evans-Watkins-Landry-Robinson-Cooks-Beckham-Lee-Benjamin.

In reality it turns out beckham was way better than I thought, Lee was way worse and Watkins was kind of a disappointment. I was at least right about how sneaky awesome Allen Robinson was. And I still have no idea where to put benjamin.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Beckham is going to be one of those people out of the NFL in 2 years because he can't control his tantrums

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Azhais posted:

Beckham is going to be one of those people out of the NFL in 2 years on the Cowboys because he can't control his tantrums

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

It's amazing how many times I have to say this and people will still come into draft threads making claims and arguing about them when no one will be right come April.

We don't even have 40 times yet!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Beckham wasn't ranked highly because Zach Mettenberger can't throw a football. His stock exploded after scouts really dug into his tape.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

corn on the cop posted:

Beckham wasn't ranked highly because Zach Mettenberger can't throw a football. His stock exploded after scouts really dug into his tape.

Ahh yes, the Megatron effect.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Calvin was an absolute genetic freak. His size and ability was always going to stand out. Guys that aren't Galactus physically are going to slip under the radar with bad quarterback play.

lmao tinyhands

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

corn on the cop posted:

I mean, LSU had two 1000 yard receivers that year in a run focused offense. Beckham wasn't exactly a hidden gem, he and Landry were both very productive.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Just as far as I remember a lot of the narrative that year was that Beckham was the beneficiary of Landry's amazing play and the defense having to focus on him. Everyone said his route running was better but that Landry was better in every other way.

Edit: Up until the draft most mocks had him falling to the Panthers and being like the 5th receiver drafted (after evans, watkins, landry and cooks)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Odell was pretty much always rated higher than Landry because he has elite speed. I don't think any mock anywhere had Landry in the first round whereas most all of them had Odell there after the 2013 season.

Landry was a lot like Nuk Hopkins, a sure handed possession guy who was seen as a good compliment to the more dynamic receivers they played with.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
While we're on the subject, here were Odell's measureables:

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4330/

Peep his top athletic comparable.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

His bench is hilarious

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

His bench is hilarious

He must've stopped giving a poo poo because I can do that much and I'm out of shape as gently caress.

Anyhow, for years I've been wanting the Cowboys to get a top flight safety, and it seems like they won't even be able to sniff one this time around. Should I be sold on Byron Jones? He doesn't come off as that midfielder-type safety to me. Is it too soon?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Who's got Insider to post Kiper's Mock 1.0?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

And I still have no idea where to put benjamin.

Soon to be out of the league from fatness.

John Brown posted:

He must've stopped giving a poo poo because I can do that much and I'm out of shape as gently caress.

A good bench is very anatomically unforgiving in a way that squats and deadlifts aren't.

Some people just don't have the shoulders for it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
No WR gets drafted on the strength of their bench so why practice for it or try at it during the combine

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

corn on the cop posted:

Yeah I was really low on him and didn't like the pick at all at the time. I believe my top five at the time was Watkins - Evans - Cooks - Benjamin - Lee with Moncrief, Odell, Landry, and Allen all fighting for the sixth spot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was farting around with that and man check out Anquan

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/2582/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's pretty sick how well most of them turned out. FWIW here's Mayock's pre-draft positional ranking.

Wide receiver
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
3. Marqise Lee, USC
4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

e: Of course...

Quarterback
1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

• Locked thread