Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

i think one of the main dev guys tweeted "oh yeah that pretty vital ally from the first game, he died returning to his home planet"

The first game said his 'brain fevers' were fatal, didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Modus Pwnens posted:

Well, just finished my very hard, no powers, no kill, ghost run.

Oh god don't do that.

I wish you'd recorded that!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I never thought I'd see someone so interested in loading screens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish you'd recorded and edited that!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I wish you'd done it ironman :unsmigghh:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have like 45 hours? Haha

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

orcane posted:

Uuh this loving clockwork mansion... I finally made it to Jindosh without him noticing me (took like four tries alone to get out of the first room without triggering his taunts) but between mechanized units that are three times as annoying as tallboys were, and glitches ruining my stealthy angel of mercy groove, this took entirely too long. Also the non-lethal way of dealing with him is :ohdear:

Now I have to knock out all the remaining people there so I can hunt for coins in peace :suicide:

It's easy to sneak to Jindosh, the key is to just never pull any of the levers. Shoot out the skylight in the very first room, far-reach up into the space behind the walls. Of course, you bypass the whole clockwork setpiece thing the level is built around that way.

And clockwork soldiers are a bitch to fight until you know how to take them down properly:
If you try to engage them head on, you will die horribly unless you're really good at sword fighting timing, But:
If you get all the blueprint upgrades, a single stun mine will take one out.
Or a couple springrazors.
You can shoot off their head with one crossbow bolt, after which they're blind and extremely easy to sneak past, or sneak up on.
Once headless, you can drop-assassinate them.
You can cut their head off by drop-assassination, just make sure you immediately crouch when you land before moving and sneak away, or they'll detect you.
Be careful with beheading them if you're going for Clean Hands because it makes them treat everyone as hostile. (An easy way to assassinate Jindosh is to just shoot the head off one of the clockwork guards in his lab and it will attack and kill him).
Headless soldiers will attack each other.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 18, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoW75eK2tAo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Entropic posted:

If you try to engage them head on, you will die horribly unless you're really good at sword fighting timing,
It took some practice, but I think I got it down pretty well. Some tips: Use your charge stab attack a lot if you're targeting their back. You want to hit their armor off, then stab or shoot them in the small whale-oil canisters. Hitting their head first lets you approach silently for an attack that should destroy their armor, then let you shoot or stab the tank on their now-exposed back. You can also hold block and move around pretty well to avoid damage and they'll eventually overheat which will give you a few seconds to line up an attack more carefully. Be careful when approaching and keep block up because they will occasionally do a very fast spin attack that caught me off-guard a lot before I got used to just keeping block held until the last second. If you can't get at their back tank/armor for some reason, you can also cut off their limbs to give you a side to attack from, especially since your sword can hit both of the arm-tanks at once.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
After doing my first run all stealthy, I've been doing more actual combat in my second run through, and it's super fun.

I like how the game separates stealth and nonlethality, so you can murder everyone without ever being seen or charge into battle but take everyone down nonlethally. Slide-knockouts are super fun, and once you have the upgraded Strong Arms charm, parrying and then choking is quick enough to do in a multiple-attackers situation. At a certain point I realized I'm basically playing Batman.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there any special achievement or whatever for completing Ghost and Clean Hands at the same time, or is it just as well to do them separately?

I did Ghost my first time through but I couldn't resist killing certain jerks, and I kind of want to go all Batman on my second run, getting into fights but not actually killing anyone.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Is there any special achievement or whatever for completing Ghost and Clean Hands at the same time, or is it just as well to do them separately?

I did Ghost my first time through but I couldn't resist killing certain jerks, and I kind of want to go all Batman on my second run, getting into fights but not actually killing anyone.

The game completion achievements are ghost/no kills/high chaos/low chaos/no powers/be Corvo/be Emily. So a Batman run for clean hands should work.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

eleven extra elephants posted:

The ending was super disappointing, what on earth, it lasted about 20 seconds. I had a high chaos playthrough, keeping the majority of of the targets alive but all I got was 'Emily rooted out the rest of the bad dudes, oh btw the crimelord guy you didnt choose to kill is still alive, the end' Did I just play the game in a way so I missed out on a bunch of ending slides or something?

the first game was pretty much the same deal. most of the game's story beats are within the books and conversations around the world.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Killing Foster and bringing the body to Sokolov is one of the most brutal, evil things I've seen in a game, and I'm not sure what's worse, that I thought to do it or that the game accounted for me doing it.

How wouldn't you get a game over for this before bringing it to him??? Is this before the final mission?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MinibarMatchman posted:

How wouldn't you get a game over for this before bringing it to him??? Is this before the final mission?

Yes, after you've learned who Foster is, you announce that you're never coming back to the Wale no matter what.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The beta patch for level select and custom difficulty is up. The custom difficulty options are especially cool since it shows all 20 or so variables that change between the base difficulty settings and allows you to change them.

There are also some additional difficulty levels to some of the options as well as new options like turning off mana regen and single slot or ironman save modes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I definitely found the ending cutscene disappointing. It feels like a throwback to Fallout 2. I mean it's fine, I was just hoping for something a little more substantial than a minute-long "where are they now" powerpoint slideshow.

That, and the Outsider's voice, are basically the only things I disliked about the game.

The guy who voiced the Outsider in the original game and the D2 announce trailer was just a million times better. The vocal effect they use on him now just sounds so cheap, and I always want to skip his monologues after I've heard them once.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Entropic posted:

The guy who voiced the Outsider in the original game and the D2 announce trailer was just a million times better. The vocal effect they use on him now just sounds so cheap, and I always want to skip his monologues after I've heard them once.
in the original game i always wanted to skip the outsider the second i saw him because i knew he was gonna drag on saying nothing for a million years

i'll not disagree with the idea that the new outsider's voice filter sounds weird, especially after Dis1 and what we learn of him in Dis2 in that he's effectively still just a human, just one that's lived forever and is bored as gently caress but i'll take neu-outsider because he doesn't hold up the entire game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really like that the main religion in the world of Dishonored is basically built round the dogmas of "There is a God. He wasn't always there. He's an rear end in a top hat. We'll kill you if you worship him."

The Abbey of the Everyman has a lot of terrible regressive poo poo built up around their rules and rituals, but it's hard to argue with the central tenets of their faith.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
in practice it can be difficult to argue with their tactics as well, just because every time someone with his mark gets uppity it pretty regularly drags them to insanity and misanthropy and typically hurts the entire community around them as well

it's sorta like warhammer 40k where yeah it seems really loving stupid that an inquisitor would butcher an entire family for suspected chaos worship, but when you yell at the inquisitor for it and he tells you about the time he saw an entire city or world burn because of one family like that one you start to understand why he's not taking any chances

#grimdarkwritinghacks

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Entropic posted:

I really like that the main religion in the world of Dishonored is basically built round the dogmas of "There is a God. He wasn't always there. He's an rear end in a top hat. We'll kill you if you worship him."

The Abbey of the Everyman has a lot of terrible regressive poo poo built up around their rules and rituals, but it's hard to argue with the central tenets of their faith.
I even like how they've gotten more opposed to witchcraft over time as technology improves, claiming that as technology gets better any excuse for witchcraft becomes less and less viable and so therefore more and more of a moral failing.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Fixed a bug where the player will instantly die if he possess a Gravehound

This happened to me both times I tried it, and I assumed it was intentional...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Entropic posted:

I loved this about the first "proper" level as well. In Low Chaos they're actively educating and engaging with people, showing off Outsider artifacts and explaining why he's a complete rear end in a top hat and these are the things you should avoid.

In High Chaos they're taking no chances and have butchered a ton of people, locked the artifacts up inside and are patrolling with loaded weapons.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

n4 posted:

Speaking of wildcard characters we also don't know the fate of, Corvo has a sister and mother who are unaccounted for.

IIRC one of Corvo's between-mission musings mentions getting a letter about his mother's death not long after he went to Dunwall. There's nothing about his sister though.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
beta fixes:

Arkane posted:

FEATURES

Added new mode:
----->Custom Difficulties

​Added Mission restart / Mission Select
----->Mission restart available from pause menu and result screen

PC FIXES
Fixed a bug where Switching off the V-Sync for the second time set the FPS Limiter to 30 instead of 60 by default
Fixed a bug where changing the settings from TXAA to FXAA and not applying the change made the TXAA Sharpness turn to 1 instead of its previous value
Fixed a bug where turning off TXAA Anti-aliasing does not visually disable TXAA Sharpness slider
Fixed a bug where the changes made to V-Sync were reverted to the previous setting when turning on then cancelling
Fixed bug where the volumetric lightning is not turned on by default at launch if it was set to off on a previous version and it can't be turned on manually anymore
Fixed a bug where the "Fog Quality" setting is set back to low after restarting the game
Fixed a bug where Keyboard/mouse shortcut UI could show up during possession & keyhole peeking
Fixed a bug where Emily’s feet can be seen floating during the throne room cutscene with high FOV settings
Fixed a bug where the Low Chaos Sokolov epilogue slide will have black windows if Volumetric Lighting is off
Fixed a bug where the screen post processing persists in Ansel mode

GENERAL FIXES
Fixed various crashes
Fixed various save issues
Fixed various localization issues
Fixed various rendering issues
Fixed various audio issues
Fixed various collision issues
Fixed various UI issues and added new UI for Game Update 2
Fixed a bug where the player will instantly die if he possess a Gravehound
Fixed a bug where a "8" could appear on the screen
Fixed the LOD of the watchtower
Fixed a bug where walking down stairs while a wolfhound runs up would cause the hound to bounce backwards
Fixed a bug where pickpocketing Jindosh's pistol may cause him to throw nothing during combat
Fixed an audio issue while loading save games
Fixed a bug where NPCs can suddenly be seen standing during the recover from ragdoll animation
Fixed a bug where Far Reach pulling a guard that is mantling will have no effect on the guard
Fixed a bug where NPCs can be involuntarily dropped from a choke, causing their AI to break
Fixed a bug where making a quick save behind a NPC while using controller configuration C would cause the player to choke the NPC instead of creating a save
Crushing an unconscious enemy in the safe door will no longer count as both lethal and nonlethal in the stats page
Fixed a bug where using Domino and Shadow Walk in combination will kill Hypatia without her ever transforming into Grim Alex
Fixed a bug where the awareness feedback is triggered again when loading a save made after NPCs gained attention
Fixed a bug where performing slide tackles or ground kicks on NPCs in moving elevators causes them to float or fall through
Fixed a bug where the witches will idle if the player exits and re-enters a hideout during upgraded Bend Time
Fixed a bug where guards that see a door opened by a possessed NPC ask who opened it
Fixed a bug where the facial animation was not launched during key target assassinations
Fixed a bug where a Sleeping Overseer may face the chair upon waking up despite knowing where the player is
When sprint and lean mode are set to "hold", the change is now reflected in the tutorials
No awareness is now used for corpses spotted
Fixed a bug where Clockwork Soldiers were triggering a Snap Reaction when player is undetected
Fixed a bug where causing an explosion during Stop Time can stretch out and break NPC models
Fixed a bug where the gameplay thread was not updated every frame and can miss input
Fixed a bug where physic objects go active when using the Spyglass although they're far from the player
Fixed a bug where NPC heads do not appear on screen when picked up and cannot be thrown
Fixed a bug where Guard NPC heads with helmets have unnatural physics when beheaded and thrown
Deactivated Redirective Blink when swimming up/down
Fixed a bug where the player can choke an NPC from very far away if they pull them with Far Reach while Bend Time is active
Fixed a bug where the player is able to duplicate items by Far Reach pulling and picking up at the same time
Fixed a bug where the Guard by Ramsey disappears shortly then returns ignoring the player when attacked from above
Fixed a bug where the player could fall OOW when exiting a rat tunnel
Fixed a bug where Past Stilton does not alert to the player properly after he panics once
Fixed a bug where the game will black screen if the player dies during the transition to Long Day in Dunwall: Streets
Fixed a bug where the player may become control locked and see OOW if they use the Timepiece and a key hole at the same time
Fixed a bug where the player will fall OOW if they use the Timepiece during a kill move
Prevented the player from grappling the crossbow in Edge of the World to avoid a weird retargeting if the player is far from the door or blocked by a collision
Fixed a bug where the Gravehound skull can sometimes go through walls/ground when killed
Fixed a bug where the amount of available traits is incorrect when replacing a trait during a craft by the same trait
Fixed a bug where the Watchtower red light projector flare was drawn behind environment elements
Fixed a render issue on Corvo during character selection
Fixed a bug where a bright light during transition in time remains if the Timepiece is used to interrupt picking up a corpse
Fixed a bug where the effects of the Dust Storm can be seen inside the Silvergraph Studio
Fixed a bug where the living highlight sometime stutters when using Dark Vision
Crafted Bonecharm list is now sorted
Fixed a bug where Doppelgangers will instantly despawn on particular spots
Fixed a bug where using Shadow Walk takedowns on Meagan and Sokolov will have the wrong animations
Fixed a bug causing the watchtower’s position to reset
Fixed a bug where the FOV changes during jump or sprint
Fixed a bug where walking with a possessed NPC into water doesn't count as a kill
Fixed a bug where the player's weapon is automatically switched when restoring health using the D-pad
Fixed a bug where the Weapon Wheel was not slowing the duration of Bend Time
Fixed a bug where Catfall is triggered when using Far Reach after vaulting into water
Fixed a bug where enemies are still active after the player has killed them right before using the Timepiece
Fixed a bug where the player is unable to switch quick select items using D-pad while the Health Elixir prompt appears
Fixed a bug where the game terminates while entering connected standby at the end of mission cutscenes
Fixed a bug where returning to the initial interactive screen via established user sign out while in active control areas will not present the Main Menu Load Screen
Fixed a bug where the NPCs are ejected in the air after being shot with a sleep dart
Fixed a bug where the player can fall from a great height onto the cliffs and survive
Fixed a misaligned animation for an Adrenaline kill
Fixed a bug where the player was able to fly if they Far Reach pull and picked up a whale oil tank at the same time
Fixed a bug where Far Reach pulling NPCs then assassinating them near edges pulls the player over the edge
Fixed a bug where NPCs are unable to be pulled with Far Reach while they are falling asleep from a sleep dart
Fixed a bug where canceling Far Reach mid pull drops the body or object that the player is holding
Fixed a bug where the Doppelganger appears in a T-pose when the player summons her
Fixed a bug where Redirective Blink does not affect sitting or cowering NPCs
Fixed a bug where jumping after using a jump Blink will cause the cooldown of Blink to return
Fixed a bug where changing the resolution or display mode can break the rendering as if everything was rendered twice
Fixed a bug where speakers don't play any announcements
Fixed a bug where the player can view the Adrenaline/Blood thirst meter while looking through a keyhole
Fixed a bug where exiting Pause Menu, Weapons Wheel, or Journal while holding The Dealer targeting or Piercing Insult charged shot auto fires
Fixed a bug where player may become control locked and see out of world if they use the Timepiece and key hole at same time
Fixed a bug where with 5 traits of the Bonecharm "Strong Arms"; no longer possible to grab an NPC since it's instantly choked
Fixed a bug where the player can repeatedly initiate a combat choke on Grim Alex with no prior actions required
Fixed a bug in Medium difficulty where Health Regeneration is set to Limited by default
Fixed a bug where NPCs could be put into walls when using Doppleganger Swap during a corpse throw
Fixed a bug where choking any NPC then immediately pushing them off may cause the chokehold audio to persist
Fixed a bug where the UI Post Process isn't blurred in Pause Menu
Fixed a bug where Player's hands have a broken texture in some spots during a dust storm
Fixed a bug where striped shadow lines can be seen on Outsider and other NPCs
Fixed a big offset in animation during a drop assassination on the Clockwork
Fixed a bug where throwing a bottle at Mindy's head after completing her quest breaks her model and can lag the game
Fixed an occlusion issue outside Jessamine's hidden chamber
Fixed an occlusion issue across from Galvani's apartment
Fixed a hole in Addermire building during carriage ride scene
Fixed too loud footsteps SFX
Fixed the marker "investigate about Sokolov" which was misplaced
Fixed a bug where after looting unconscious Paolo player may kill Paolo and loot him again for a second Risky Parry Bonecharm
Fixed a bug where picking up the rune in the flooded basement awards 1 coin in no powers instead of 200 coins
The Outsider and Jessamine are no longer factored in the Global Kill Ratio
Outsider Shrines are no longer factored in the Global Kill Ratio on the Current Stats Screen
Meagan is no longer factored in the player’s Global Kill Ratio on the Playthrough Stats Screen
Delilah is no longer counted towards the player’s Global Kill Count each time she appears
Unkillable NPCs are no longer factored in the Global Kill and Global Non-Lethal Ratios on the Stats screen
Fixed a bug where the player may never transition to the Epilogue if they chose to take the secret passage to the Throne Room
Fixed a bug where black Occlusion walls are visible around Jindosh's mansion when red buttons are pressed consecutively
Fixed a bug where the player may be prevented from finishing the Non-Lethal resolution cinematic if a witch or a Gravehound interrupts the scene

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 19, 2017

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

in practice it can be difficult to argue with their tactics as well, just because every time someone with his mark gets uppity it pretty regularly drags them to insanity and misanthropy and typically hurts the entire community around them as well

it's sorta like warhammer 40k where yeah it seems really loving stupid that an inquisitor would butcher an entire family for suspected chaos worship, but when you yell at the inquisitor for it and he tells you about the time he saw an entire city or world burn because of one family like that one you start to understand why he's not taking any chances

#grimdarkwritinghacks
My favorite little example of this cultural outlook came in a set of collectable books entitled Call to the Spheres in the first game. The story starts off all pleasant-like, with a young protagonist and a bunch of Distinguished Gentlemen getting into a capsule to have a little voyage around the solar system. In the final book, the young protagonist has suffered a psychotic break, murdered all off the other characters, painted on the walls of the capsule with their blood, and is calmly waiting for the Void to consume him. It's as if Jules Verne wrote Event Horizon. There's also the detail that the Empire of the Isles never had an age of exploration, since every single colony they have ever established in Pandyssia has failed, and they've probably been trying for centuries. The whole west coast of the continent must be covered in CROATOAN stakes by now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It looks like there's a second non-lethal option for Delilah, since when I did the one the game walks you through there was a failed objective for "find another way to deal with her." Google just found other people asking about this on gamefaqs and reddit, does anyone know what it is?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I think it's a bug, or at least it hasn't been figured out yet.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Entropic posted:

That, and the Outsider's voice, are basically the only things I disliked about the game.

strong agree that first outsider was heaps better

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like Penguin from Gotham (the TV show) as the Outsider :shrug:

Clockwork Mansion summary said I had 10 bodies detected, but I can think of about two instances when enemies may have seen their buddies drop. How does detection work with clockwork soldiers? If you shoot their helmets off, they go alert even if they don't ever see you, and if they run into a stun mine their awareness goes up a full level before they fall apart (so if the white part was already filled from seeing you, it may even go to full alert for a split second).

At least no one saw me so ghost is still on, but my precious stealth rating!

Also I found all the coins but 20, I even looked it up in a guide and it's not where the guide says it should be :(

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I started another playthrough because I haven't done a high chaos run as Emily yet. One thing I want to do is murder as many people as possible, because of course I do. It's not going so well so far. Despite killing every last guard and civilian I could find in The Good Doctor, my kill score was only 76%. Does the game have a significant number of enemies that only spawn if certain conditions are met? I did let two guys get eaten by hounds but that isn't enough to explain the difference.

Also, I noticed for the first time that there are several places to use a rewire tool in Edge of the World. Can you find one there or are all the security boxes just for show?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lavaca posted:

I started another playthrough because I haven't done a high chaos run as Emily yet. One thing I want to do is murder as many people as possible, because of course I do. It's not going so well so far. Despite killing every last guard and civilian I could find in The Good Doctor, my kill score was only 76%. Does the game have a significant number of enemies that only spawn if certain conditions are met? I did let two guys get eaten by hounds but that isn't enough to explain the difference.

Also, I noticed for the first time that there are several places to use a rewire tool in Edge of the World. Can you find one there or are all the security boxes just for show?

just for show until NG+. it bothered me as well but i guess its consistent for the walls of light to have em

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I finished the institute mission with a high enough percentage taken out that the remaining people (didn't take out the doctor and the janitor eg.) accounted for the difference to 100%.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel really dumb for asking this, but how do you change which type of special bolt you use? My quick select thing only shows normal darts and sleeping darts before going onto grenades and powers, when I know I have incendiary darts and howling darts that I've picked up.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel really dumb for asking this, but how do you change which type of special bolt you use? My quick select thing only shows normal darts and sleeping darts before going onto grenades and powers, when I know I have incendiary darts and howling darts that I've picked up.

Go into you quick select wheel and hold down delete if you are on a keyboard or triangle/Y if you are on a controller. Pressing those buttons hides stuff on the wheel and holding it down brings everything back.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you have to add things to your quick bar - it's middle mouse with KB/M, then mouse over it and hit the number you want to use for the quick select, if you don't want a thing on the bar you either overwrite its numbered slot with something else or do what Cnidaria said.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Thanks all, I was as dumb as I feared :negative:

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Anyone have any idea when they'll announce DLC?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just saw what became of ramsey in the non-lethal runthrough. hilarious and crushing hahaha.

hey once i finish a ng+ run, can i use that save file for a ng++ run? starting with essentially every major ability jacked out would be awesome

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's no way to have powers in the opening Dunwall mission, is there?

• Locked thread