Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mrbass21 posted:

I just played TLG, so I may be over emphasizing the performance, but it feels great. They released a big (3gig) patch a few weeks ago, and a lot of the inventory menus have changed (I assume not just in blood and wine) and it's definitely more responsive.

Loading times are still kind of long (1-2 minutes), but I'm having so much fun with the story, it's an easy price to pay. This is on an amateur PS4.
Wow, they improved the inventory interface yet again even that recently? I guess I should be amazed at how serious they are about supporting the game but I hope next time they save themselves a lot of work and make it good to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

It's worse than 4 in every mechanical and technical way but you can't deny that UC4 takes a long time to get started and stays so strongly focused on its characters that it could alienate anyone who doesn't know them well already. Playing 4 first is probably a mistake.

The PlayStation 4 Thread: Play the Uncharted Games In Order

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Where does the Uncharted Vita version fit into this mess of things

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

the trash

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Please rub the uncharted vita cart until it disappears.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone try and sell me on Darkest Dungeon? I was hotly anticipating it and bought it for like $25 the day it came out. Played it for like 2 hours and thought it was the most boring thing ever and can never bring myself to boot it back up, but I feel like I must have missed something because people seem to like it so much and I feel like I flushed that money down the toilet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah idk we've been going pretty solid without smart TV chat and other bickering

How much did that poo poo cost in 2017 dollars, or was it the Saturn that was like $800

3dO cost 700 in 1993 dollars, so a bit over 1,100 in today's money.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone try and sell me on Darkest Dungeon? I was hotly anticipating it and bought it for like $25 the day it came out. Played it for like 2 hours and thought it was the most boring thing ever and can never bring myself to boot it back up, but I feel like I must have missed something because people seem to like it so much and I feel like I flushed that money down the toilet.

I like it for two main reasons. One is that the combat system is simple enough to understand without much difficulty, but complex enough to allow for a lot of variety, since you can build your characters in different ways, have them gain different positive and negative traits that color them, and build all sorts of parties with them, to varying degrees of effectiveness.

The other is the general aesthetic and tone the game goes for. It manages to nail "Lovecraft in video game form" better than any other game I've seen aside from Bloodborne, and in some ways better thanks to Wayne June's ridiculously good narration. That also ties into how, no matter how well you play, something will inevitable end up out of your control. For example, one of your guys becoming stressed out enough that they go mad and refuse your orders and end up being more of a nuisance than a benefit. I've not played Xcom but I know a lot of people like DD to that in that there's a lot of opportunities for your guys to "tell stories" in that regard, like your entire party save one being massacred by the remaining one going virtuous (a rare but positive event that occurs when they become too stressed) and wrecking havoc on the remaining enemies.

I dunno if you're the kind of person that enjoys watching LPs, but if so I'd suggest perhaps checking out the first few episodes of Highwang's LP of the game. He does a good job of showing off the game, enough that quite a few goons have purchased the game as a result. That might help the game click for you.

If you do decide to try and get back into the game, I'd also recommend maybe waiting for a month or two. There's a content patch coming in February that is planned to add a "Radiant mode" to the game, which seeks to make the gameplay a bit less tedious, as the base gameplay is fairly grindy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

veni veni veni posted:

i think you're going to have to be a little more specific. the game has a bunch of random elements and it's fun to try and put together a winning team with what you get versus what you go up against. you get to upgrade your town and your characters and eventually try to beat all of the bosses and win the game. the game is rarely unfair but it will happily guide you toward failure, altho you can't ever really game over as new recruits show up forever.

some of the bosses or dungeon gimmicks can be very unfun and bad luck can ruin you, its somewhat roguelike and the theme with the gameplay is more about risk management

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I was expecting more from the dungeon exploring, and at the beginning the combat seemed so basic it barely felt like anything mattered. I was having trouble getting to the point where I cared about managing anything. It really just bored me and I normally like that kind of thing.

I'll at least take a peek at that LP. it's always bugged me that I just sort of ditched that game.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This is a playstation 3 game so maybe not the most on topic but, how was drakengard 3 relative to the other games? Gameplay improvements are nice of course but mainly I'm wondering if the story matches the beautiful insanity of the first drakengard game, or was it kind of bland like the second game?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the second game wasn't by taro yoko; the third was. that's why it was so generic compared to the rest of the drakengard games/nier

there's a let's play of 3 in the archives that you can skim a bit if you're curious

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey if you wanna sign up for a *chance* to beta test the new firmware

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/12/sign-up-for-the-next-ps4-system-software-beta-2/?emcid=em-ph-101068

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
PlayStation 4: Conker's Bad Fur Day needs a reboot.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It's a prequel and a decent handheld game

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this the one that's gonna add username changing?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this the one that's gonna add username changing?

I knew that was *in the works* but was it really going to come like..this year? Everyone keeps saying how much work it would be to implement because the way they coded it all

If they really do they're gonna make hella money

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LibbyM posted:

This is a playstation 3 game so maybe not the most on topic but, how was drakengard 3 relative to the other games? Gameplay improvements are nice of course but mainly I'm wondering if the story matches the beautiful insanity of the first drakengard game, or was it kind of bland like the second game?

It's not as bland as the second one but mostly has a lot of harsh language going for it along with a good soundtrack. It feels the most "try hard" of Cavia's games and it's janky as hell on a technical level. It's basically a perfect $20 game which is what it costs on Amazon right now so go for it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LibbyM posted:

It's not as outright insane as the first game, nor as sad and melancholic as Nier, but it definitely matches up to those games in its own way. A lot of people like to describe it as "edgy" which I don't really agree with. If I had to label it I'd call it unrepentantly crass. Everyone's a petty rear end in a top hat and is not afraid to show it. Except for Mikhail, who is the bestest character.

I'd say it's definitely worth picking up, although it performs like crap, and not even a consistent crap. Some people get super bad frame drops during some parts, other people don't, it seems to depend on the individual PS3. Also you need to shell out another :20bux: for the DLC which you definitely do want to do because it's some of the best content in the game.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Thanks for the words on Drakengard 3. Does it have multiple endings that can be accessed without playing through the entire game again, like how the first game did it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I took my PS4 from the living room television to hook up to my 1440p computer monitor in the hopes that I would play it more, but stretched to fill that monitor I can clearly see all the jaggies and lower detail compared to the PC games I play on that same monitor. I never thought I would consider the Pro but now...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Thanks for the words on Drakengard 3. Does it have multiple endings that can be accessed without playing through the entire game again, like how the first game did it?

Yes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Genocyber posted:

There's a content patch coming in February that is planned to add a "Radiant mode" to the game, which seeks to make the gameplay a bit less tedious, as the base gameplay is fairly grindy.

That sounds promising, I also asked someone to sell me on Darkest Dungeon but I got turned off because it sounded grindy

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, they improved the inventory interface yet again even that recently? I guess I should be amazed at how serious they are about supporting the game but I hope next time they save themselves a lot of work and make it good to begin with.

"Hey these game developers did an amazing job and have supported their game massively since launch with updates updates and improvements for free but i'm a big baby so I'm going to sit in my pram throwing toys out into the open air and whining that not everything is perfect first time".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KrayG posted:

"Hey these game developers did an amazing job and have supported their game massively since launch with updates updates and improvements for free but i'm a big baby so I'm going to sit in my pram throwing toys out into the open air and whining that not everything is perfect first time".
Did you miss the part where I said they would save themselves work? Also Jesus, Witcher 1 through 3 are among my favorite RPGs ever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're good games but they're not perfect. no game is; no, not even that one. I don't think saying "this game is good and I hope next time it's better" is being a big baby

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they're good games but they're not perfect. no game is; no, not even that one. I don't think saying "this game is good and I hope next time it's better" is being a big baby

Desert Bus is perfect

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you didn't play Umjammer Lammy and declare gaming to be over because it would never surpass that perfection, just lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Platinum headset is $152 on amazon atm with same-day shipping for prime members

I decided to wait and save $20 and got one one ebay for $131. :siren: apparently you can load profiles wirelessly. Curious if the USB dongle fits in the front of the pro

Still bummed my LS40 headset just doesn't have good sound. I'm no audiophile but it really is lacking. Shame because they're a great independent company I'd love to support. Anyways I'll compare the platinums to that before I return them and post my unsolicited impressions

welp that's all thanks for reading god bless

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 19, 2017

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It also might just be that I haven't booted the game since I beat it + first DLC, but somewhere between then and now it's definitely changed and it feels (at least to me) more responsive.

Blood and Wine is a drat blast. I wasn't into the story of Witcher after watching 1 and 2 on a let's play. I bought w3 purely because this thread kept raving about it, and I'm so glad I did.

The only down side is that I stay up too late because I'm wrapped up in the game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

all of these loving toddlers being critical of products they spend money on!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only started The Witcher 3 last month, at version 1.31, but it seems to play really well and I've had no issues with it. There are a monumental amount of patch notes between 1.00 and 1.31 so it looks to me that they've improved basically every aspect of the game. Kudos to CD Projekt Red for supporting it as much as they have.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MZ posted:

I only started The Witcher 3 last month, at version 1.31, but it seems to play really well and I've had no issues with it. There are a monumental amount of patch notes between 1.00 and 1.31 so it looks to me that they've improved basically every aspect of the game. Kudos to CD Projekt Red for supporting it as much as they have.
Looking through them myself now that I'm home, 1.22 is the last version I played and 1.30 and 1.31 are mostly bugfixes, no big interface changes. I have over 200 hours in that game (including playing it through in both English and Japanese) so maybe I don't need to play it again.

edit: the editing (I hope it's editing) in this makes me want to hurt the world but here's the latest Musou Stars trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnAE-Pv3Og

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 19, 2017

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
whoops

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Gravity Rush 2 is real good so far but I'm stuck on a black screen, loading after a cutscene during a mission :negative:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/821779205725835272

Looks like we'll finally know when Tekken 7 comes out next week.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How is the Bioshock collection? Good for $60 ?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I think the main criticism is they hosed with some of the lighting in original BioShock and it hurts the ambiance of that game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

How is the Bioshock collection? Good for $60 ?

If you've already played the Bioshock series on PC I wouldn't bother. They're not massive improvements over the originals. If you only played them on PS3 then maybe. I wouldn't pay $60 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Housh posted:

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/821779205725835272

Looks like we'll finally know when Tekken 7 comes out next week.

I've been anxiously waiting for this. I hope the release date is not a long wait. The arcade version has been out for like 2 years in Japan.