Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

Secret poverty friends pals.

It's better when you alliterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So Meg has a little sister we haven't seen yet?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Another good episode. Yunyun is (re)introduced, more toad-related trauma, and funny interactions involving Megumin and several other characters.

Only shame was they skipped the part where Chomusuke is introduced and, while Megumin and Aqua are having the name argument, Kazuma feeds her a fish... only for Chomusuke to spit some flame to grill it before eating. Also it's internal narration to tell you this, but Megumin didn't literally just pick Chomusuke up, though it's the first time she is actually mentioned, as Kazuma has seen her around Megumin occasionally in the past.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

El Burbo posted:

staaaaaaare

nice persona reference

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Now where is my Megumin nendo? The Aqua one is already out with Nature's Blessing attachment.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'm still waiting for a megumin nendo. First was the Aqua figurine from bellfine, then a Aqua nendo appeared at good smile. Not too long ago bellfine released a Megumin figurine.

When nendo good smile? :negative:

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Megumin nendo when

I... I have waited so long for this moment... :stwoon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Raenir Salazar posted:

So Meg has a little sister we haven't seen yet?

Forget sister, she's got a whole village.

That you probably won't see until the next season.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah rumor is that this will be another 10 episode season so itll end at volume 4. Megumins village happens in volume 5. Hopefully this will actually get a seaons 3 since volumes 5 and 6 are really good. But who knows, these are mostly supposed to get people to buy the books so its hard to tell when they will stop making episodes.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Iretep posted:

Yeah rumor is that this will be another 10 episode season so itll end at volume 4. Megumins village happens in volume 5. Hopefully this will actually get a seaons 3 since volumes 5 and 6 are really good. But who knows, these are mostly supposed to get people to buy the books so its hard to tell when they will stop making episodes.

The anime itself has been doing well enough for more seasons though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Anime sales mean nothing compared to LN sales.

And if the LN is selling well enough, they tend to stop making shows entirely because it's straight up not needed anymore.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It depends on what kind of deal the anime studio has. If they get part of the profits theyll be more motivated to make more. If the episodes are purely ordered by the book company then itll be entirely reliant on if the book company wants more.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I'm laughing at the new episode so hard. This show is so dumb and full of suffering.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I convinced a friend to try this today by calling it "No game no life if the MCs were incompetent and the world constantly poo poo on them," them come home to this newest work of art.

A good day.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I convinced a friend to try this today by calling it "No game no life if the MCs were incompetent and the world constantly poo poo on them," them come home to this newest work of art.

A good day.

They're not incompetent, they're just specialized.

Specifically, Darkness specializes in masochism, Megumin specializes in explosions, Aqua specializes in idiocy, and Kazuma specializes in everything other than being a decent human being.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darkness is getting a nendoroid too.

Now we just need Kazuma.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This show is like the Japanese version of the Adventure Zone and I goddamn love it.

The animation didn't feel as wonky this episode, but still expressive.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Those fuckin frogs again :getin:

Also, I'm way too amused by people running around like idiots with their arms straight over their heads.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This show is great!

More please!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This was a really good episode, mainly because it was about the best girl, Megumin, and her secret very sad friend/

So if I get the flashbacks right, Megumin was broke as gently caress and had to scam lunches and eat bugs, and her friend is the next in line to lead the race but just so sadly alone? What was with the 'I'd even take a devil for a friend' bit, though? Just to show her learning magic purely to literally summon a friend?

Also is there some joke with the cat's name, or is it just 'of course a Crimson Demon would name their pet something silly sounding too'?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also is there some joke with the cat's name, or is it just 'of course a Crimson Demon would name their pet something silly sounding too'?
That giant hamster in Overlord was named Hamsuke so probably

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you actually want to know: (spoilers for the next season/Megumin's first spinoff if it ever happens)

Megumin comes from an extremely poor family because her dad is a moron who specializes in making gag items nobody would ever actually want. She and the rest of her family got by on thin soup and lunches she scammed off of Yunyun.

Yunyun is the daughter of the Crimson Demons' chief, and is next in line to lead. Only problem is that she is the only person in the village to not be a chuuni, so she's ostracized because everyone thinks she's weird. The only relationship she really had was her "rivalry" with Megumin since they were always #1/#2 in the class rankings, which Megumin just kinda went with since hey, free food. You probably already realized this, but Megumin is secretly the biggest jerk in the entire cast. Though she does eventually come to give a poo poo about Yunyun.

As for the "I'd even take a devil for a friend" bit, let's call it the setup for a very long term joke.

Chomusuke is just a weird name, yes. It has a story to it, but that's all I'm going to say.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BlitzBlast posted:

If you actually want to know: (spoilers for the next season/Megumin's first spinoff if it ever happens)

Megumin comes from an extremely poor family because her dad is a moron who specializes in making gag items nobody would ever actually want. She and the rest of her family got by on thin soup and lunches she scammed off of Yunyun.

Yunyun is the daughter of the Crimson Demons' chief, and is next in line to lead. Only problem is that she is the only person in the village to not be a chuuni, so she's ostracized because everyone thinks she's weird. The only relationship she really had was her "rivalry" with Megumin since they were always #1/#2 in the class rankings, which Megumin just kinda went with since hey, free food. You probably already realized this, but Megumin is secretly the biggest jerk in the entire cast. Though she does eventually come to give a poo poo about Yunyun.

As for the "I'd even take a devil for a friend" bit, let's call it the setup for a very long term joke.

Chomusuke is just a weird name, yes. It has a story to it, but that's all I'm going to say.

all good poo poo, thank you. I should probably just give in and get the LNs, I can't pretend I don't love this group of idiots enough to want to see it all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I really would recommend it, as stiff as the translations are (especially the earlier volumes). As funny as Konosuba is now, it gets even better as the story goes along. Numerous jokes start to pay off, characters legitimately develop, and a surprising amount of progress is made. Konosuba is a story where it actually feels like the author knows where they're going, which is something that many other LNs feel at, even other ones that were originally WNs.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Note that it did get officially licensed, and it's releasing next month

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/natsume-akatsuki/konosuba-gods-blessing-on-this-wonderful-world-vol-1-light-novel/9780316553377/?yen

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was a great episode but I think my favourite thing is that the cat decides it likes Kazuma and not Aqua, because it is peak cat and peak Aqua

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Are ridiculously named pervert cats a developing anime trope?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

We all know that Aqua is a goddess. Will there be a chance to see any of her followers this season?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zernach posted:

I love how Kazuma and Megumin are comfortable enough with each other they can just try to gently caress with each other like they did in this episode.

Jeez, phrasing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

el dorito posted:

We all know that Aqua is a goddess. Will there be a chance to see any of her followers this season?

From what other goons have mentioned, most likely.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Zernach posted:

After this episode I've come to the conclusion that I really need to dig around for the LNs so I can enjoy more of their idiot adventures.

I love how Kazuma and Megumin are comfortable enough with each other they can just try to gently caress with each other like they did in this episode.

In the LN the bath conversation went a bit diffrently. Kazuma was fine going to the bath with Megumin because he considered Megumin a kid. She is just 13 so it doesent really matter to him. Megumin not wanting be treated like a kid points out she is going to be 14 in a few months which causes Kazuma to go all uncomfortable because she is almost in his "hit zone".

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I didn't know anything about this franchise outside the anime, but skimming the wiki it's interesting that the main characters all lost about 3 years of age going from web novel to light novel (Kazuma was 20, Megumin 17, Darkness 22, etc.).

Also that there's a spinoff prequel series titled: Explosions on this Wonderful World: Megumin's Turn

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

I didn't know anything about this franchise outside the anime, but skimming the wiki it's interesting that the main characters all lost about 3 years of age going from web novel to light novel (Kazuma was 20, Megumin 17, Darkness 22, etc.).

Also that there's a spinoff prequel series titled: Explosions on this Wonderful World: Megumin's Turn

I think the web novel ages come from the end of the series, while the light novel ages are closer to the beginning. But I'm not exactly an expert.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I think the web novel ages come from the end of the series, while the light novel ages are closer to the beginning. But I'm not exactly an expert.

Oh maybe I guess. The wiki article listed the start and "current" ages for the LN (eg 16->17 for Kazuma) and just one number (20) for the web novel.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is the most enjoyable episode of anything i've seen in a long time, these idiots all come together wonderfully

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Show is pretty good at thumbs ups.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

There are three spinoffs, and two star Megumin.

Explosions is actually pretty bland though, because while Megumin is funny, she's not funny enough to carry an entire story on her own. That spinoff didn't get good until the final volume, when the rest of the cast finally showed up.

chiasaur11 posted:

Nope, straight up aged down. It works out a lot better like this because Kazuma's actions make way more sense as a teenager than a young adult.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Loved season one and season two is starting off strong. The new op is amazing too.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

This show is getting so many of my friends back into or into anime for the first time. I know I hadn't watched one for quite a while until season 1 was out.

Doofus girls and rear end in a top hat MC is bringing my friends close together, thank you anime.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I know I said as much last season, but it bears repeating.

Aqua's VA is loving marvelous.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the voice acting really sells this, both Aqua and Kazuma especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The background interactions between characters is pretty high quality as well.