Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sefal posted:

is it like Dragon Quest heroes, or more like the traditional musou games?

It's much closer to the latter. You, hordes of mooks, and the occasional stronger enemy. It really seems to assume you've played the two Fate/Extra games, so if you care about the plot and haven't touched either, you might want to reconsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New characters for Musou Stars.

- Laegrinna (Deception 4: Nightmare Princess)
- Nobunyaga Oda (Samurai Cats)
- Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
- Li Naotora (Samurai Warriors

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Maleketh posted:

It's much closer to the latter. You, hordes of mooks, and the occasional stronger enemy. It really seems to assume you've played the two Fate/Extra games, so if you care about the plot and haven't touched either, you might want to reconsider.

Ah, that's a bummer. I know nothing about the fate/extra series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I played a bit of the Fate game last night and it is pretty alright. The pace is fast and hitting buttons feels good, though the special attacks can take a bit too long. The framerate generally seems to keep up though I noticed some slight hitches in the largest rooms if they were totally packed. I'm not invested in the Fate series at all and just know things about it from anime osmosis, but I hope the story stays the good kind of stupid like it has mostly been very early on. Probably the biggest issue will be a lack of enemy variety, and since there are no English voices, it's easy to miss some information during missions since you'll have to read text boxes during the game and it spams you with the general "You did a good thing" messages from teammates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

New characters for Musou Stars.

- Laegrinna (Deception 4: Nightmare Princess)
- Nobunyaga Oda (Samurai Cats)
- Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
- Li Naotora (Samurai Warriors

Your Avatar remains strong.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

chumbler posted:

and since there are no English voices, it's easy to miss some information during missions since you'll have to read text boxes during the game and it spams you with the general "You did a good thing" messages from teammates.

This is true, but at least it give the player the courtesy of always showing important things on-screen. The player's current objective (if any) is always clearly written near the top of the screen, and the map highlighs both that objective and other important events (like sector battles and impending takeovers). I actually think it does a better job than most Musou games in this respect.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sefal posted:

Ah, that's a bummer. I know nothing about the fate/extra series.

If you wanna slash things up I wouldn't be too dissuaded. If nothing else you can have a laugh at how anime the historical characters are. As someone who has played a lot of Fate stuff it doesn't always make a ton of sense to me either.

Also we didn't even get the second Extra game, so there's that lol.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah the second game in the Extra series never got a western release. There is a fan translation, but it's still ongoing (by iwakura productions, they do a lot of translations though so who knows when it'll finish).

It is nice to see a musou game from someone other than Koei Tecmo. Not that their games are bad or lacking, but competition is always nice to see. Keeps you on your toes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I agree that it's good to see more competition for this type of game. There's still a pretty wide gap in quality, but it does seem to be narrowing slightly.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Her name is Naotora Ii, not Li. Why do people keep spelling it Li?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Because the fonts are really bad?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

PureRok posted:

Holy poo poo I honestly had no idea.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Extella is really good at letting you just carve hundreds of mooks up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PureRok posted:

And this is why sans-serif I's should be illegal

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Extella is really good at letting you just carve hundreds of mooks up.

I think you mean thousands.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'd thought I'd preordered it off of Amazon, but apparently not. Guess I'll buy it for my Vita off of PSN tonight. Looking forward to cutting up goobers as a pretty princess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

PureRok posted:

I'd thought I'd preordered it off of Amazon, but apparently not. Guess I'll buy it for my Vita off of PSN tonight. Looking forward to cutting up goobers as a pretty princess.

Excuse you, Nero is an emperor

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if dashing around like crazy is actually any faster than running, but it feels like it is and looks cool.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

chumbler posted:

I don't know if dashing around like crazy is actually any faster than running, but it feels like it is and looks cool.

Dashing midair even more so.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

chumbler posted:

It's definitely faster. Rolling around everywhere with Caster is hilarious.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blue Saber is pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure I never would've figured out how to unlock her on my own.

You have to spawn her on one of four maps by eating five yakisoba breads in a specific territory on the map, then defeat her and finish the stage. Apparently prior to version 1.03, it would only work between 3 and 4 in the afternoon aka teatime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Blue Saber is pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure I never would've figured out how to unlock her on my own.

You have to spawn her on one of four maps by eating five yakisoba breads in a specific territory on the map, then defeat her and finish the stage. Apparently prior to version 1.03, it would only work between 3 and 4 in the afternoon aka teatime.

That is some "my uncle works at Nintendo" poo poo.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Elliotw2 posted:

And this is why sans-serif I's should be illegal

It's the first letter of her family name; why would it be lower case?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fire Emblem Warriors is coming Fall 2017 for Nintendo Switch and New 3DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_pIrT053k

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
But can you play as a pegasus knight. I'm asking for a friend

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

But can you play as a pegasus knight. I'm asking for a friend

I promise you, right now, you will be able to play as a pegasus knight. Odds are extremely good it will be Caeda.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
No government mandated Musou launch title? What a bungle.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The only things I want for FE Warriors are Hector and Ephraim. Maybe Fa.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dear Musou Thread. I love Fate/Stay and Fate/Extra but I don't like Musou games very much. Sell me on why I, a hardcore Nasuverse Weeb should get Fate Extella? How many hours of content does it have?Is the performance solid?Is there bosses?

Can there be Kotomine Kirei in this?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Is there pegasus knights in that game, if yes then buy it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Is there pegasus knights in that game, if yes then buy it

Technically Fate has one Pegasus
Riding Servant. So maybe?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
In my experience, the Warriors games have tons of content. Hyrule Warriors has roughly fifty billion hours worth of content. I beat the main story in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL and in Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate and I feel like I barely scratched the surface of those games.

If the Fate/Whatever game is similar it should have plenty of content.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Dear Musou Thread. I love Fate/Stay and Fate/Extra but I don't like Musou games very much. Sell me on why I, a hardcore Nasuverse Weeb should get Fate Extella? How many hours of content does it have?Is the performance solid?Is there bosses?

Can there be Kotomine Kirei in this?

I don't know much about Fate, but of what I do know it has a standard nonsense Fate story, so that is probably good for you, but it's pretty standard musou mixed with some VN aspects. The combat is not particularly difficult or deep but feels fine and I haven't noticed performance issues on PS4 aside from very slight slowdown when an area is totally packed. I haven't finished it so can't comment on length, but it probably has similar replayability to other musou games. I am on the boss for the Saber story so yes there are bosses.

There is no Kotomine Kirei as far as I know.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

If you have to be sold on a Fate game then I guess you aren't the hardcore Nasuverse Weeb you think you are.

As much as I like Musou games, I got Fate/Extella because I want more of Red Saber because she is the best. Caster is also really fun too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are mans. Many many mans. You kill them all in some ridiculous fashion.
What else do you need?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Well it has more of a self insert blank slate protagonist rather than the usual unhinged narrative from a protagonist of questionable mental health that nasu's writing usually stars. Honestly the only thing I'm missing from it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RickDaedalus posted:

If you have to be sold on a Fate game then I guess you aren't the hardcore Nasuverse Weeb you think you are.

As much as I like Musou games, I got Fate/Extella because I want more of Red Saber because she is the best. Caster is also really fun too.

drat. I forgot that i really love Caster in Fate/Extra. You sold me, goon sir.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
AFAIK Fate/Extella just kinda... shits on Caster. Like, nonstop.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The latest popularity poll on the dynasty warrior characters:

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou/vote/

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/dynasty-warriors-2017-character-popularity-poll-results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Zhao Yun is always there but Guo Jia? Huh, caught me by surprise.