Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zore posted:

Man that trailer is hilarious looking back. I'm pretty sure literally none of those cutscenes except a bit of the Thane one are in ME2. And the weird pre-rendered combat scene is real janky.

Those aren't cutscenes. They've an art team having been given a description of the scene and told to go wild. It's Thane bringing down the Asari, Jack freeing herself from the prison ship, and Grunt's rite of passage where he fights the Thresher Maw. Just with a lot of artistic license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Yeah, that was a Blur trailer, they've done one for every Bioware game since EA acquired them. Sacred Ashes for DAO, Destiny for DA2, Take Earth Back for ME3 and this one. Inquisition was the first not to get one, I think?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Have big pre-rendered trailers fallen out of a fashion lately? I don't think I've seen as many in recent years.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
God everyone's so powerful in cinematics.

Milky Moor posted:

Those aren't cutscenes. They've an art team having been given a description of the scene and told to go wild. It's Thane bringing down the Asari, Jack freeing herself from the prison ship, and Grunt's rite of passage where he fightsq the Thresher Maw. Just with a lot of artistic license.

Yeah, the only time you'd see those in the game is if you didn't press start at the beginning.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 19, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Yeah, that was a Blur trailer, they've done one for every Bioware game since EA acquired them. Sacred Ashes for DAO, Destiny for DA2, Take Earth Back for ME3 and this one. Inquisition was the first not to get one, I think?

I think DA:I got one. At least, I'm pretty sure.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Maybe someone sat down and decided that spending tens of millions of dollars on marketing months before release wasn't actually worth it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Especially when the people clamoring for trailers and poo poo are fans who will likely buy it day one anyway. They should be waiting until a few weeks prior to release. Any earlier and potential buyers forget about it.

Haha, seeing Grunt take down a Thresher Maw that had almost swallowed him was pretty dope - he was covered in goop.

Watching the ME3 femshep trailer, her face looks caked on with makeup - ultra smooth and low textured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDmq1TeDFs
Manshep totally looks way more detailed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't trust marketing as anything other than lies in general anyway. That's what it usually amounts to.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
The more I think about the marketing issue the more I think that a big marketing push right now probably doesn't translate into all that many sales and the relatively small amount of marketing could be EA realizing that.

The idea that they aren't marketing the game much because they think its bad doesn't feel right to me. I feel like if you have an expensive AAA game that you're afraid is going to be poorly received the thing to do is crank up the marketing and get as many preorder / day one sales as you can before word of mouth tanks you, watch dogs and destiny were good examples of this.

That's not to say the game won't be bad, it absolutely could be. But I don't think there is a point to making a judgement right now, I haven't pre-ordered and I don't really plan to until like an hour before release if we have a lot more information at that time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I still think it's funny that marketing ruined the Okeer/"Jack" twists and I also want to say it revealed Tali and Garrus too

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The only bad thing about Andromeda marketing is that it leads to this thread being made up of meta discussions of said marketing and ME3 ending discussions.

If they don't increase their Andromeda advertising before the release, it would be a worrying sign. But there's still time, and you shouldn't preorder video games anyway. And you can bet that they will release more info to the gaming press later. There's already a slow but steady stream to them, like Andromeda having the most lines of dialogue, having more fuckable crewmembers, etc.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mazerunner posted:

I still think it's funny that marketing ruined the Okeer/"Jack" twists and I also want to say it revealed Tali and Garrus too

What the heck twists are you talking about? Just hidden character reveals or something?>
How are Jack and Okeer related?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Especially when the people clamoring for trailers and poo poo are fans who will likely buy it day one anyway. They should be waiting until a few weeks prior to release. Any earlier and potential buyers forget about it.

Haha, seeing Grunt take down a Thresher Maw that had almost swallowed him was pretty dope - he was covered in goop.

Watching the ME3 femshep trailer, her face looks caked on with makeup - ultra smooth and low textured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDmq1TeDFs
Manshep totally looks way more detailed.

Despite being The One True Shepard, femshep has always looked doofy and low-res compared to manshep. And god, her hair in ME2. Ugh.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

Drifter posted:

What the heck twists are you talking about? Just hidden character reveals or something?>
How are Jack and Okeer related?

Gonna guess he meant that Jack's identity was obfuscated behind the whole "Subject Zero" codename and that TIM actually sends you to recruit Okeer, the Krogan scientist, and at that point nobody knows that Okeer created Grunt. So in that regard, showing off what Jack looks like and revealing the existence of Grunt may count as spoilers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

They actually accidentally revealed Tali-as-party-member in the very first Mass Effect 2 trailer, yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pay no attention to the game behind the blue spacebabe.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Super No Vacancy posted:

because the advertising commitment can vary depending on the publisher's faith in the game, or the amount of content in the game that advertises well. think critically

I am.

The way you typically push a big IP like Mass Effect if you know the game is going to be bad is by bombarding people with advertising. You push preorders hard, and you don't give out press copies.

Low marketing burials are usually more for cult games like Mirrors Edge or something.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gatac posted:

TIM actually sends you to recruit Okeer, the Krogan scientist, and at that point nobody knows that Okeer created Grunt.

This was secretly the worst part of all 3 mass effect games. You go in thinking you're gonna get a cool, fun and different scientist krogan friend, unlike in ME1 where you got Random Mercenary Krogan #47.

Then you do the mission and you get saddled with Literally GI Krogan, Boringest Character Extraordinaire, and you sit there wondering if someone at Bioware is just doing this to have a laugh at your expense.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Dexo posted:

I am.

The way you typically push a big IP like Mass Effect if you know the game is going to be bad is by bombarding people with advertising. You push preorders hard, and you don't give out press copies.

Low marketing burials are usually more for cult games like Mirrors Edge or something.

After ME3 torched the lore I think you have to regard Mass Effect as more of a multiplayer cult game than a big IP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Guys, it's actually a good thing that Hillary isn't campaigning at all in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Why does she need to saturate the airwaves with pointless pre-election hype? Anyway, I'm sure she's got a great GOTV staff there so I don't need to see how her campaign is doing at all. As long as she appoints a few liberal supreme court justices I'll be happy.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
shut up

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

Guys, it's actually a good thing that Hillary isn't campaigning at all in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Why does she need to saturate the airwaves with pointless pre-election hype? Anyway, I'm sure she's got a great GOTV staff there so I don't need to see how her campaign is doing at all. As long as she appoints a few liberal supreme court justices I'll be happy.

Blasto would have won

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Blasto would have won

This one's face name displays an incendiary portmanteau to designate forward momentum.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

exquisite tea posted:

Except she did campaign a ton in PA? You probably meant WI and MI but whatever

Also a comically bad analogy I can wait til release date to see if a game is good. I don't personally care about EA's marketing decisions as I'm not a shareholder. If the game is good word of mouth will propel it. If it's bad then word of mouth will kill it.

A video game release and political campaign are two completely different things

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe that's why Hillary lost. Everyone decided to wait until after the election to vote. gently caress pre-ordering presidents!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Super No Vacancy posted:

because the advertising commitment can vary depending on the publisher's faith in the game, or the amount of content in the game that advertises well. think critically

The reverse is also true. Games sometimes go whole hog on advertising and marketing because they don't think the finished product will speak for itself or gather traction on its own merits.

I dunno, all this worrying about stuff more than a month in advance is crazy. Getting hyped for something more than a month in advance is reserved for like, the most amazing things in life. Not some probably mostly above par videogame.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Maybe that's why Hillary lost. Everyone decided to wait until after the election to vote. gently caress pre-ordering presidents!

Trump is the ultimate in pre-ordering a heavily marketed new IP presidents.

"No really guys I have this awesome plan to defeat ISIS, I can't tell you about it yet, but trust me it's awesome. No really we are gonna build this wall. And Mexico is totes gonna pay for it. No really the swamp is gonna get drained."

Hillary was more of the generic Open world game president.

You know exactly what you are getting, you know the parts you are going to like and you also know the flaws that are likely going to appear. As there is a long documented history of her in public life.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

dude...

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

Mymla posted:

This was secretly the worst part of all 3 mass effect games. You go in thinking you're gonna get a cool, fun and different scientist krogan friend, unlike in ME1 where you got Random Mercenary Krogan #47.

Then you do the mission and you get saddled with Literally GI Krogan, Boringest Character Extraordinaire, and you sit there wondering if someone at Bioware is just doing this to have a laugh at your expense.

Preach. I guess they didn't want to step on Mordin's toes, but...I could have lived with a different Salarian STG commando on the team if it meant we got a proper Krogan scientist. Give the science stuff to Okeer, maybe have Salarian Sally be part of the taskforce that "updated" the genophage and then let the two have at it.

(While I'm at it, drop Jacob and give us a good Turian soldier instead to contrast with freewheelin' dropout Garrus. Change literally anything about Miranda, you can only go upward from where she ended up.)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

We get it, you think the game will be mediocre

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What the hell

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Gatac posted:

Change literally anything about Miranda, you can only go upward from where she ended up.)

what about making her butt even bigger? would that be going backwards?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
backwards because rear end, see

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
goddamn if andromeda doesnt have butt shots like ME2 I WON'T preorder

Serf
May 5, 2011

Miranda and Jacob just kinda sucked. Mordin and Grunt ruled though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MadBimber posted:

goddamn if andromeda doesnt have butt shots like ME2 I WON'T preorder

maybe a dedicated rear end-camera you can switch to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bud K ninja sword posted:

maybe a dedicated rear end-camera you can switch to.

Pressing L3 now lets you switch to the opposite over-the-shoulder view or to an rear end-level view.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lobok posted:

Pressing L3 now lets you switch to the opposite over-the-shoulder view or to an rear end-level view.

poo poo now i have to preorder it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I won't be satisfied unless I can make my character into assy mcgee