Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Elder Postsman posted:

i still think my kindle keyboard 3g from ~2010 is one of my best technology purchases ever. it's a v good product.
i have one of these too but i don't use it often enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

you need a dongle for that
just a case, really

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Elder Postsman posted:

i still think my kindle keyboard 3g from ~2010 is one of my best technology purchases ever. it's a v good product.

if the battery hadnt worn on mine id still be using it. that said, ive been using it as a work kindle and with the wireless off itll go weeks. i thought about replacing the battery but found a cheap early touchscreen one and replaced it recently and even without 3g its nice

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

just a case, really

dad i hate myself and this pussy tablet is garbage

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't sweat bringing my paperwhite to the beach because it was $100

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

THC posted:

yeah, and the design is durable enough i dont worry about cases etc (like i dont for all my tablets and phones but we) and so far its been fine tossing it into my bag. the one thing the keyboard lacked was a good solid design. mine has two fracture cracks in the case on the two lower corners of the screen from mild home reading and always felt a bit flimsy compared to the paperwhites

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i use a case on my kindles for two reasons:
1) so i can have that magnetic auto on/off thing when i open/close the cover
2) they're actually a bit two thin without anything on them, i feel, and folding the cover around bet tends to make a nicer thickness

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo the kindle paperwhite is the perfect size and weight. I love it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fishmech posted:

2) they're actually a bit two thin without anything on them, i feel, and folding the cover around bet tends to make a nicer thickness

same

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

i got a case for my keyboard kindle because it doesn't have a backlight but the case has a retractable reading light

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I replaced the battery in my kindle DX graphite and gave it to my mom and she really likes it. perfect reading on the couch size.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

I replaced the battery in my kindle DX graphite and gave it to my mom and she really likes it. perfect reading on the couch size.

itd be so nice if they made a new one with the lighting system from the paperwhite and newer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its a shame ipad 3's don't support the adblockers because loading that poo poo seems to be the biggest drag on performance. back in the day when all the ads were flash they would fail back on a static image or gif but now that they're becoming html5 monstrosities its becoming a problem

ipads 3

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my iPad is the device I use for 99% of my home computing, which is to say browsing the web and social stuff and shitposting while on the couch. I watch movies on my tv like an adult. i got my mom one and it's her only computer because she's not good with computers and it does everything she needs.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fishmech posted:

itd be so nice if they made a new one with the lighting system from the paperwhite and newer

yeah with the sizing on the bezels itd be slim and smaller than a typical tablet and half the weight of them

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i have to admit reading on the ipad is garbage. mostly because i read in foreign languages and have to look up words frequently and the text selection thing is terrible

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

poty posted:

i have to admit reading on the ipad is garbage. mostly because i read in foreign languages and have to look up words frequently and the text selection thing is terrible

text selection on ios is incredibly bad

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

THC posted:

http://waterfi.com/waterproof-kindle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fart simpson posted:

:agreed:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I bought a "refurb" Kindle Paperwhite for $40 and the refurb process was less stringent than I had anticipated

https://twitter.com/andrewrstine/status/809868956269826049

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

netcat posted:

i made the mistake of upgrading to ios 7 and then 8 which made it horribly loving slow but it's still fine for youtubing and netflixing I guess.
yeah, don't ever do that :smith:

it's been begging me to upgrade for more than 3 years now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
sure let me pay 1.5x the cost of a paperwhite instead of putting it in a zipper bag like a normal person

that said the paperwhite is one of the greatest electronic products I've ever owned, it's been all over the world in dozens of countries and has never let me down... though i did jailbreak it and add my own screensavers which was a criminal thing to overlook

like my ipad though i've never upgraded the firmware/os, it works perfect as-is so why would I ever risk it

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 18, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bhodi posted:

putting it in a zipper bag like a normal person

you ever go to a friend's house where the chesterfield wasn't wrapped in a sheet of thick plastic

how weird was that

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

you ever go to a friend's house where the chesterfield wasn't wrapped in a sheet of thick plastic

how weird was that
ah yes, that time i visited my friend's victorian manor

what kind of friends do you have, the only time i've ever seen one irl is in some swank hotel lobby

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

THC posted:

drat, do you make a lot of money programming on the computer?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

with 3D Touch it's really good

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

sure let me pay 1.5x the cost of a paperwhite instead of putting it in a zipper bag like a normal person

that said the paperwhite is one of the greatest electronic products I've ever owned, it's been all over the world in dozens of countries and has never let me down... though i did jailbreak it and add my own screensavers which was a criminal thing to overlook

like my ipad though i've never upgraded the firmware/os, it works perfect as-is so why would I ever risk it

unlike apple, amazon's kindle os upgrades are strictly beneficial. never slows it down or tanks the battery life

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/821818780443615232

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

with 3D Touch it's really good

i have never figured out how to do anything useful with 3d touch

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're pressing it wrong

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

i did jailbreak it and add my own screensavers which was a criminal thing to overlook

yeah i was hoping the pw3 would have a simpler jb process because the book cover screensaver is my favorite hack and ive added it to both my keyboard and touch models

fishmech posted:

unlike apple, amazon's kindle os upgrades are strictly beneficial. never slows it down or tanks the battery life

yeah the updates have only either increased refresh speed or added better uis

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

force-touch the default keyboard to get a cursor in trackpad mode, and force-touch it again to start a selection at the current position and have the selection end in trackpad mode

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

force-touch the default keyboard to get a cursor in trackpad mode, and force-touch it again to start a selection at the current position and have the selection end in trackpad mode

farce touch

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i like the combination of undiscoverable with awkward and useless

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, that's what force touch is.

remember when android devices invariably had a trackball? no doubt a relic of the original plan of making a blackberry killer. those sure were the days

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

P sure like one phone had the trackball

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
At least 4 HTC phones did, it was part of the original reference design.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

you had the g1 and nexus one and i guess the magic after that i think it was all optical trackpads which were universally terrible

now only six years later text selection and cursor placement is actually a solved problem*

*if you use gboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Droid Eris also had a trackball iirc.

• Locked thread