Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

99 cent IAP to downsize that icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I found a glitch in the matrix

I suggest you unbookmark all those threads for a more pleasing user experience

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
On android I was able to click a link to a thread and it opened in the app automatically, this doesn't happen for me on iOS, it keeps opening in safari. Is this a limitation on iOS? A setting I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
In the settings there's an option for which browser you want to be default.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is there a reason imgur uploads work 25% of the time and otherwise just timeout to an error?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kamakaze9 posted:

On android I was able to click a link to a thread and it opened in the app automatically, this doesn't happen for me on iOS, it keeps opening in safari. Is this a limitation on iOS? A setting I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Its a limitation of iOS. To make that work on iOS requires server-side changes that we can't do because the app developers don't control SA.

There are a few workarounds though. If you copy a forums link to your clipboard, the app should offer to open that thread in the app. Or you can change the beginning of the link from "https" to "awfulhttps" and it should open it in the app.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

carry on then posted:

Long press on the thread in a thread list and hit Mark, or press the share button (lower right corner) when reading the thread.

Cheers!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When posting a new thread (at least in dark mode) it doesn't seem super obvious (to me) where to tap to assign a thread icon. And if you select a thread icon after writing your subject and op, it appears the Preview button activeness validation doesn't fire until you make another edit to the op text.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bug report: the error message when you you try to post and it times out says that the image upload failed, even when no image is being upload. This is affecting production.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Regular Nintendo posted:

When posting a new thread (at least in dark mode) it doesn't seem super obvious (to me) where to tap to assign a thread icon. And if you select a thread icon after writing your subject and op, it appears the Preview button activeness validation doesn't fire until you make another edit to the op text.

Also if your op is too long it hides the bottom lines under your keyboard so you have no idea what you're typing.

Also why do gifs take forever to load?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Also if your op is too long it hides the bottom lines under your keyboard so you have no idea what you're typing.

because gifs are an outdated image container that are poorly optimized and not really great for much more than transparent backgrounds

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Same

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, how long has this app had PiP?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Quick question that's already been asked

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This thread really is like work

"I have a question"
*does not ask question*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have a question: why does the img upload no longer work?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The_Doctor posted:

I have a question: why does the img upload no longer work?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hmm

Test image:

Ok! Never mind

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fedule alerted me that this thread exists and that I might nudge for updates to newly-added thread tags in the Awful app. Do equivalent tags for the Awful app need to be made, and is there a way to help out with that, if so?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only time Imgur upload doesn't work is when heir servers are over loaded

Which happens to be several times per day

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there something up with thread icons in the Games forum?

Loads are showing up as the same:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's two things:

1) Someone (usually me or The Dave) needs to create a version of every icon specifically for the app, which can be a lot of work
2) Apple has recently started flagging thread icons in app review, so some of the ones we've already made need to be excluded to get the app approved

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ah cool. I only noticed because I had the PS4 thread in my bookmarks and it took me a while to find it.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The app crashes all the time and you can't get rid of the formatting menu why is this thing so jank?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you post a list of the SA urls for all the thread tags that don't show I will make versions of them. If they are censored I will come up with something that looks the same but does not include IP. Yes I am being incredibly lazy here but I will do it. (Though I think the censored list might have gotten posted and I forgot.)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here's the ADTRW tags that are missing

gosh, lots of anime

and these two which are in every forum

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's odd, I definitely made a pokeball one. Maybe it's one of the censored ones now. If you can give any context with those anime ones that would help. (THANKS!)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I guess Apple doesn't allow Nintendo brand material in non-Nintendo apps.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stare-Out posted:

Gifv support please!

Will add it to the list!

Keith Atherton posted:

This is a weird one. About half the time I rotate my phone to landscape orientation the app locks up and I have to kill the process.

iPhone 6, Awful App 3.2, IOS 10.2

Edit: Seems to happen if I rotate the phone right after refreshing a thread, from the main forum list it doesn't happen

I think I know what causes this. Will +1 on the list for you.

:eyepop: :popeye:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is there a reason imgur uploads work 25% of the time and otherwise just timeout to an error?

Probably my lovely Imgur API client!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Added these to the list, thanks!

withak posted:

Bug report: the error message when you you try to post and it times out says that the image upload failed, even when no image is being upload. This is affecting production.

Added to the list, thanks!

various cheeses posted:

This is probably one of those things that will never really be fixed.

withak posted:

Holy poo poo, how long has this app had PiP?

We just use the native system video player I think, so whenever PiP came out?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Fedule alerted me that this thread exists and that I might nudge for updates to newly-added thread tags in the Awful app. Do equivalent tags for the Awful app need to be made, and is there a way to help out with that, if so?

Yeah we make our own. Here's the specs. If you're handy with git/GitHub, go nuts on that repo, otherwise post 'em here and I'll move 'em on in.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What causes the gif issues, out of curiosity?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Some YouTube videos disappear while playing just showing the thread but the audio keeps going even when you go to next page. iOS 10.2 iPhone 6.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

various cheeses posted:

I think WebKit has just always kinda sucked at animated gifs? And I don't mean that judgementally, maybe that's the right trade off. It's also possible that WKWebView is better; we're still using the older UIWebView.

An alternative is to render gifs natively and layer the native view over the web view. I have zero interest in maintaining that though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

various cheeses posted:

It's a garbage image format created in the late 80s by a now defunct company and nowadays used as a universal video format, which it never was designed for.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a reason that when you long touch an image to view bigger/save it redownloads it?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Where's the search button on this thing?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nelson posted:

there is no search function

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is there a reason that when you long touch an image to view bigger/save it redownloads it?

We only get the URL from the web view and pass it off to another view.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nelson posted:

Lol

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm having way more imaging uploading problems with this current release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I have a feature request! Instead of having to tap the little "done" button in the upper left corner of the screen to dismiss an image, why not have the little swipe in any direction thing like the official twitter app? Or really any way to easily dismiss it.

Apps great and thanks for the hard work on it.

• Locked thread