Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halser
Aug 24, 2016
complaining about Highwang's choices is a low hanging fruit, but it's pretty funny anyway and it will take some time for me to get bored of it :v:

Arcturas posted:

As for speed, I read somewhere that initiative order is 1d8 plus your speed stat, but I can't remember where so I might be wrong.

I remember reading the same from an update changelog, so you're most likely correct.

As for the Occultist, I usually put him in rank 3, where the only ability he can't use is Hands from Below, which is utter trash. On rank 3 you have healing, pulling/cursing/marking, the crit machine that is Eldritch Stab and Abyssal Artillery ready. He's pretty much always very useful there.

Halser fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Suboptimal play feels more appropriate for a let's play of this game, imo, and the double-team denigration got to be a bit too much, especially with relatively minor mistakes that everybody makes. Just my $0.02.

Edit: for the record, I don't think it's always been bad or too much, but the past few episodes were hard to watch because of it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Eh, I liked the jade star commentary but maybe I'm in the minority. It's about time someone else points out Highwang's silliness, if for no other reason than to remind the rest of us what to do.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I liked the double team smackdown? Highwang didn't seem too perturbed with it and it felt like 't was in jest to me...

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sifting through the Youtube comments yielded this beauty:

Axetwin posted:

I find it funny how much poo poo Wang gets for how he builds but then people give him poo poo because he's not dying every other run. Hmmm I wonder why that is? But yeah yeah, Wang sucks. >.> Ok but in all seriousness, the constant making GBS threads on Wang while entertaining, is starting to delve into GM Arcturus territory, and after awhile his LP's became unbearable because of the constant negativity on him and the game he was playing. However, I agree with Wang, a second viewpoint about the game in LP form, would be interesting.

2 questions: 1. who is GM Arcturus and why is he so bad or problematic or whatever?

2.I guess talking poo poo about Wang is bad/problematic now?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Skippy Granola posted:

I feel like I learned less than usual from the last two videos. Is what highwang did good or bad? Because it seemed to work ok despite the sour bitching.

It's not "bad" so much as "in repeatedly making little mistake atop little mistake atop little mistake you're failing to capitalize on advantages and you're only getting away with it because you essentially keep winning coinflips that could just as easily go the other way, and the endgame is getting ready to majorly poo poo on your face at which point you will definitely not have the luxury of two food stacks with an empty inventory slot because your brainsnakes are eating each other"

Which is kind of a mouthful to say on the fly so instead its just calling Highwang a dummy.

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't even finish watching the latest video because of how uncomfortable it was. I stopped just past the part where they argue about how to pronounce "pineal" and are so eager to say "UR WRONG" that chitlin forgets what he actually said 30 seconds earlier. Highwang may not be the most optimal player but he's gotten through fine so far. The exasperation of chitlin in all the earlier videos is funny and fine, but these latest videos with jade had a different feeling to them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Don't worry,Jade gets shat on plenty in the Xcom 2 LP. God bless you,Guava.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Elbo posted:

I didn't even finish watching the latest video because of how uncomfortable it was. I stopped just past the part where they argue about how to pronounce "pineal" and are so eager to say "UR WRONG" that chitlin forgets what he actually said 30 seconds earlier. Highwang may not be the most optimal player but he's gotten through fine so far. The exasperation of chitlin in all the earlier videos is funny and fine, but these latest videos with jade had a different feeling to them.

Chitlin was actually talking to me about this recently. He's never been part of a long-running LP such as this, and he's beginning to feel the effects of burnout at this point. I might have to ask if he wants out or not for his sake.

Thanks for all the input btw. These were just guest episodes, but its a good marker for the future of things.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The two things that stick out to me as difference between Fun and Awkward are :-

The line between "You did X, I would have done Y!" sometimes with "Because Z!" and "That was bad and wrong. End of sentence."

Whether the LPer is close enough to the commentator to give poo poo back enough or otherwise indicate that they aren't actually the whipping boy.

Considering the length and at times repetitive nature of Darkest Dungeon, which can be super gripping to play through, I wonder if skipping some missions, or recording and trying to find highlights might work as a good project until Champion dungeons and such. Though the workload on recording, watching, and picking out stuff might be insane.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I had no idea DD was such a long game, not surprising he's feeling burnt out.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Highwang posted:

Chitlin was actually talking to me about this recently. He's never been part of a long-running LP such as this, and he's beginning to feel the effects of burnout at this point. I might have to ask if he wants out or not for his sake.

Thanks for all the input btw. These were just guest episodes, but its a good marker for the future of things.

Rotating guests could help with burnout a lot.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Upgrade and use my Jester's bleed skills, Highwang! :argh:
None of the heroes ever made it past 50 stress, why are you stress healing them when there are crabs and octopuses to be bled or wounded fishmen to be finished off? You even had the Bloody Dice trinket to boost the bleed chance. At least let him do something other than cheerleading.:negative:

:eng101:: You can right click on an item to interact with a treasure or curio, provided you have the "investigate/item/ignore" pop up open.

In closing: I can feel your pain with regards to spending the paintings you were saving for the guild upgrade. In my game, the free building town event triggered for the very first time during week 85. By this time, I had already given up on ever getting it for about 20 weeks or so. As a result, I'm now loaded with 27 paintings that can only be used to upgrade the tavern to 3 slots, but I usually either don't have the funds or the need to stress heal 3 people in the tavern. :gonk:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Bruceski posted:

And leaving THIS here for Jade Star
https://youtu.be/DRXGyZro3Qw?t=17m58s

You are a hero.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
One problem Highwang seems to have is that he doesent get AOE attacks. Alone they arent always worth taking, but in certain situations they are always worth taking. Lepers hew is good for killing small fries like spider in one shot, you can combo it with other AOE attacks that attack the mid rows, corpse removal if youre desperate and so on. Some AOE attacks can be very party specific but often they at the very least allow you to weaken multiple enemies to the point that your main damage dealers can kill them next. Using two big attacks to kill one enemy can be more wasteful instead of using an aoe attack and single attack to kill one and weaken another for next turn. The hardest AOE attack ive had a hard time using is abyssal artillery since the single target 4th row damage dealers can usually one shot the back row anyway.

Also why some of his builds work is that he understands the power of healers. Early to midgame dungeons. healers are insane crutches. You can have pretty medicore teams and any mistakes can be recovered by just the vestal or occultist healing. Only thing to worry about at that point is stress damage. Add a jester and you can go on forever as long as you can deal enough damage to actually kill things. Late game dungeons is where they stop being crutches and instead you NEED them and they arent enough oh god please get me out of this dungeon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Maybe suggest for him to take a break until you get to some new stuff, i.e. that town event (you know the one) and the actual Darkest Dungeon stuff. I love yours and his banter and it would be a shame if he wasn't around for that stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Highwang posted:

I think it's Darkest Dungeon itself. It looks like it takes forever to get through, and that's one of the major reasons I decided to stop playing it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean there's a reason one of their major planned gameplay fixes is to rebalance the campaign to cut it down to 'only' 40 hours.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the movie Re-Animator has contributed most to the mispronunciation of PIE-neal gland versus PIN-eal gland.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Pea posted:

None of the heroes ever made it past 50 stress, why are you stress healing them when there are crabs and octopuses to be bled or wounded fishmen to be finished off? You even had the Bloody Dice trinket to boost the bleed chance. At least let him do something other than cheerleading.:negative:

Actually, several players tend to use the Jester only in a support role with Battle Ballade and Inspiring Tune brought to the highest potential, and maybe a weapon skill or two in order to use them as attackers in emergency cases.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Sifting through the Youtube comments yielded this beauty:

2 questions: 1. who is GM Arcturus and why is he so bad or problematic or whatever?

2.I guess talking poo poo about Wang is bad/problematic now?

He's a dork on here who did LPs of some Kingdom Hearts games. Wrong about the lore in that series and his co-commentators gave him a lot of poo poo for it- more so than KalonZombie or the Roosterteeth group even-. The best was an exchange that went:

"Did you ever beat Canary Mary?"

"No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!"

I've gotta get through my backlog and check this video out now. Gotta know if it's more vitriolic than everyone is in Chitlin's Grimrock 2 LP.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, Highwang knew what he was in for!

You could say he knew the risks, even.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Look, Highwang knew what he was in for!

You could say he knew the risks, even.

Master the Brutal Commentary of Battle in this Darkest Dungeon LP! :v:

We're all giving you poo poo Highwang, but remember anyone who's actually played this game blind were babbies trying to figure out optimal strategies themselves at one point, to likely disastrous results. So turn the tables on your co-commentators! Ask them of their own greatest mistakes, foibles and downfalls! And if they say they've never had any...

The evidence begs to differ.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Bit of a heads up: This weekend might not have updates just because I'm gauging certain things about how to approach this LP. While recent episodes have been entertaining, they've also been showing problems that have been arising.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Do what you need to man, you're the star of this show.

I think most of the backlash is just because how negative the commentary has been, and some concern of it causing you distress.

If nothing else, thanks for taking on this most dreaded of dungeon crawls!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Highwang posted:

Bit of a heads up: This weekend might not have updates just because I'm gauging certain things about how to approach this LP. While recent episodes have been entertaining, they've also been showing problems that have been arising.

I'd consider simply grinding out a few money runs offscreen, with maybe a highlight reel if anything amusing happens. By this point we don't need you to commentate over everything you do imo. Get the boring yet neccessary stuff out of the way without the need to be amusing limiting your options.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Yeah, it's time to start skipping the random who-cares runs. You can highlight the interesting stuff, though. (For example, the three consecutive shivkills on the Occultist!) This game was a little too long for its own good anyway.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

vdate posted:

Yeah, it's time to start skipping the random who-cares runs. You can highlight the interesting stuff, though. (For example, the three consecutive shivkills on the Occultist!) This game was a little too long for its own good anyway.

Yup. Hopefully when the DLC and such comes out and shortens the game a bit it gels.

Buy yea, we don't need to see every run, just a few of the highlights or the runs where you try out some new stuff.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
At this point I think it's pretty much boss runs only, and the DD. Showcasing whatever champion level critters are left etc, but your average money run is not worth it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah champion dungeons are definetly worth showing off.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Think I finally have an idea of how to handle the future of things thanks to input from other viewers, which will require heavy editing.

To wit, I have a poll for all you viewers. We've definitely hit a lull considering how I'm getting denied hard on new and interesting gear, and all that's left is seeing how champion dungeons differ from the rest of the game along with the last 8 bosses before the titular Darkest Dungeon.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 44: Cheating the Crew

TorpidTypist joins us for a spell as we take on the Drowned Crew in a cheap and mathematically hilarious way.

More importantly, there will be slight changes to the LP format. For one, no more regular runs sadly. Its clear that we hit a lull, and despite minor changes occuring in Champion mode it won't merit keeping those missions around unless something impressive happens. To replace that will be the summary segments I mentioned before, and while they won't appear now they will definitely appear next video. I still want to keep co-hosts around since they keep things fresh, and while JadeStar's commentary was a bit ill-recieved by most viewers, I knew full well what to expect and still appreciate him bringing an alternate viewpoint to what's going on in this LP. Everything for this LP should be straightened out though, so hopefully we'll see the end to this soon.

As for the Drowned Crew fight, its almost surprising how "vulnerable" this guy is to move skills. You'd figure a crew of zombies chained to a sunken ship wouldn't be so easily moved, but if you bring a character with good move skill its roughly a 50% chance to pull him forward. This strat though is heavily dependent on initiative; you want to be able to get someone with good move to go after the skeleton was summoned, but before he acts. This makes the strategy a bit dicey, especially since turn order is somewhat random and the move is not a sure thing. If you manage to pull (heh) this off however, it makes the boss fight a cake walk as seen here.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I thought that the crew was patched so you can't use move skills on them. Looks like it was only enough to make it a lot harder. Well, once you do that, the crew is doomed as you broke their gimmick in two.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
I have been trying to play along at home in my first playthrough, and a lot of what Highwang is doing just doesn't work for me because of luck, but I was really proud of my emboldening vapors leper chumping the crew by killing the anchorman every round. Then I saw this.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang is so great at video games.

*lounges around my Archeotech site*

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
The first time I fought the crew I went in blind and misunderstood their gimmick. It didn't help that I was under the influence of a slow and insidious killer thanks to earlier successes with the beginner bosses. I got wrecked, and naturally the game choose THAT moment to get stubborn about letting me run away. Only two of my characters managed to escape the room and the stress of fleeing caused my occultist to drop dead of a heart attack the second they made it out. All my shell shocked grave robber could do was round up whatever gear and loot she could carry and slink off back to the hamlet.

Then it occurred to me to try knocking the anchorman to the back next time. I was shocked at how well it worked. I'm amazed the devs didn't give the boss some sort of counter to that, but revenge was certainly sweet...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Highwang, you jammy, jammy bastard.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Could you have used your MAA to push the anchorman back, rather than pulling the crew forward? Would that have been easier?

Also, I don't really buy the "Highwang is so lucky" thing. You can have a lucky run, but not 40+ weeks of it. It seems whatever he does works out just fine most of the time, so it can't be that bad?

And I've started to play this game also, and one of my favorite parts is the voiceover when starting the boss missions. Hearing a little each time actually feels pretty rewarding, so I skip them when watching this LP. Would rather hear them for the first time when I get there!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sjonkel posted:

Also, I don't really buy the "Highwang is so lucky" thing. You can have a lucky run, but not 40+ weeks of it. It seems whatever he does works out just fine most of the time, so it can't be that bad?

In a risk management game like this you tend to make your own luck and there's no mitigating the risk involved with that luck. That's what I get with reading 'between the lines' of the LP: Highwang's cautious exploration style and knowledge of action economy/enemy moves keep his dudes safe, but they also have their own downsides. Namely his hatred of hunger procs: the more squares you travel through in a dungeon the more hunger procs you're going to get because that's how RNG's work. The more chances you throw at it the more it's going to come up with your number, good or bad.
Also leaning too hard on healbot vestals without devoting some training to their damage skills. Judgement is damage and a heal! Even a reduced chance stun can still land if you throw it out enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 45: Undulating Invasion of Personal Space

Inchonate Flesh veteran mode today! I also learned a little something about the boss as well that could have ruined this run: at veteran mode+, the little butt-raptor thing gains a 10% chance at being AoE, which goes up on the hardest difficulty. I'm pretty sure Maws of Life's chance also increases per difficulty, but the wiki hasn't listed the chances. We also see why this boss can swing so hard in difficulty, since as we mentioned before you can just get a poor roll on the morphs and get a bunch of pig heads and butts to deal with. Sadly(or luckily?) we got beat up pretty bad and I decided to cut my losses early this mission.

Also, lemme know what y'all thought of the little summary at the beginning. My initial idea was "Mario 2, Level 1" for a song but I had this song on my hard drive already.

• Locked thread