Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Still sounds like a step up from your average japanese to english translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The guy who wrote it is from Venezuela, if I remember right.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Most VN translations have improved considerably unless you meant mobage :confused:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I mean to be fair I don't really play like random VN games, I only play the ones people say are the best and even then sometimes I'm kinda like ehhh at the writing

I'm sure if I played average crap ones I would find them as bad or worse

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alder posted:

Most VN translations have improved considerably unless you meant mobage :confused:

They have, but they've improved from "total crap" to "kinda meh." Professional VN translations are still nowhere near the level of professional translations of most other kinds of games. Like, Root Double's prose was almost sleep-inducing, and I feel that a lot of that was on the translation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 15, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got through a couple more endings and am in Chapter 10 of steins gate now. I won't bore anyone with reactions to them or anything, I'll just say I liked the endings so far and maybe I missed some stuff but with all the predictions I had I still didn't see the revelations at the end of chapter 9 coming.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I thought the game got real good around the time of the first ending and never stopped being real good after that and more or less keeps getting better all the way until the end

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got through a couple more endings and am in Chapter 10 of steins gate now. I won't bore anyone with reactions to them or anything, I'll just say I liked the endings so far and maybe I missed some stuff but with all the predictions I had I still didn't see the revelations at the end of chapter 9 coming.

I like reactions :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Heroic I'd be curious to know what you think of Daru. I've never been quite convinced his character works.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well, I can give some reactions then. I'll spoiler them just in case

Faris Ending : So while I thought the Suzuha ending very well could have been the actual, only ending to Steins Gate, Faris' ending felt more like a side character ending if that makes sense. Not that that means I liked it any less. The fake-yu-gi-oh tournament stuff was fun, and 4C was kinda weird. He looked and felt like he dropped out of a different game, like he looked like concept art from the world ends with you sorta.

Lukako Ending : Honestly, I wasn't looking forward to this. I think the story's treatment of Lukako has been a definite low point of the game, and the game definitely did an upturn when it left Lukako behind (not that Lukako's parts being bad are Lukako's fault if that makes sense). Fortunately, overall it was better than I expected. As of now, I may rate Suzuha's ending higher than the others because of the whole time looping segment.

Like I said before, I really did not expect Mr. Braun to be affiliated in the main plot much less be a SERN agent. And Nae's reveal is just too crazy for me to have ever thought up on my own. I thought the chapter was leading up to Moeka ending, but it seemingly didn't (I did miss one phone prompt on purpose, but it seems like either way the story would have lead to the same place). Even though it is obvious, I didn't think of how returning the timeline back before any D-Mails would result in Kurisu's death before Okabe mentioned it.

As for any predictions, well I think it's somewhat obvious that the big choice will be to either save Kurisu or Maryuri. I have three endings left to get so I'm guessing those are Mayuri, Kurisu and then either a Moeka one I missed or a big blowout True Ending (I do know there is a "True" Ending, but that could be one of the Kurisu/Mayuri ones I listed).

As far as Daru goes.... I really don't have much of an opinion on him. He's kinda faded into the background a bit once the time travel stuff really started.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

gently caress me is Root Double's gimmick for having routes technical as hell. I bet this'll be a nightmare to collect all of the endings in.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

After you get the main ending for a route you unlock something that makes it easier. Although some of the endings/scenes are hard to trigger, yeah.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, I finished reading The House in Fata Morgana. It was extremely good--probably my favorite VN now. The music and art were both excellent throughout, and it had plenty of well written and translated plot and characters to go around.

(Endgame spoilers)It's very impressive coming off as the worse guy next to the actual psychopathic murderer, but way to go Jacopo, you really shot for the moon and made it. The style change in the final chapter was also a cool shift to keep things fresh.

E:Basically what I'm saying is that Jacopo is the worst tsundere ever.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 17, 2017

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Spoilers just in case: Even though it is quite obvious in retrospect, the story gets you so emotionally wrapped up in what Okabe is doing that I didn't see it coming either. It's the single biggest gut punch I've ever experienced from a video game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got my 4th ending, Stardust Sky. I saw no way to make the other choice, so I guess it's on to the true ending flags? But outside of making the other choice for Kurisu, I don't know what else could happen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can get a slightly different version of that ending by paying more attention to Kurisu instead of Mayuri in your text replies, but it ends largely the same. Otherwise yeah the only other thing for you to do is go back through the game and hit the handful of true ending flags.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I see there is the True Ending and the "hit a couple but not all the TE flags" ending. Is the not-quite-TE worth going for, or is this a 999 Coffin Ending situation where it's just a fraction of the True Ending so no reason to go for it?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
AFAIK just get the true ending, it's just like a couple lines of dialogue are different

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now that I finished it, a Himawari trip report: The middle parts were the best parts, and the quality quickly drops off after that. Probably not worth it unless you like awkward romances, a confused hodgepodge of themes with muddled messages, and a series of ending sequences that are full of insanely stupid bullshit that ultimately ends on a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger that is resolved in a fandisc that probably won't ever be translated. Which is a shame, because I initially really enjoyed the VN and had high hopes for it. My earlier praise for it in this thread was premature.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

So I see there is the True Ending and the "hit a couple but not all the TE flags" ending. Is the not-quite-TE worth going for, or is this a 999 Coffin Ending situation where it's just a fraction of the True Ending so no reason to go for it?
It's probably my favorite ending except for the True one. I would say do a save right before the last TE flag and do both. Probably not in the same day like I did though, the emotional whiplash might kill you.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

It's not much different, as has been said, but since you'll be zooming through the game with the skip function (which ought to stop a few times for a couple of scenes you only see if you've got some of the TE flags), and the last flag is right near the end of the game anyway, it's not very much effort to get both either. So it's up to you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know if you're playing on PC or PS4/Vita but I'm pretty sure getting all the endings is the only requirement for the platinum trophy on the latter, if it matters to you in the slightest.

I think it's literally the only game I've ever gotten a platinum trophy for.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's not. There are a lot of trophies hidden in phone conversation choices that can stretch the whole game length.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK, The House in Fata Morgana.

I've been wanting to talk about this about a week or so ago when I was knee deep in Door Five, expecting that I was relatively close to the endgame only to find it was only scratching the surface on the characters, stories, and plot threads it was going to develop. The emotional core of this was honestly amazing, I could not believe how committed it could be to presenting a character with all their good and bad points, allowing you to really get to know them and sympathize with them on an intense and personal level. It was not afraid at all to swim into some truly filthy realms with regards to its tragedies, but unlike so many other stories it felt appropriate and made any payoffs to such stories that much more satisfying. It truly did feel like a form of salvation had been reached by the end on my own part as the reader.

It got a lot of praise a little while back here and I certainly was planning on playing it but I was honestly just not prepared for how much I wound up liking it. I guess I sort of expected based on what little I knew about the premise and the first couple of chapters that it was going to be a series of only loosely connected vignettes? I definitely did not see basically the whole second half of that story coming and as it slowly dawned on me how in-depth it was, I was besides myself to see it through. Great characters, story, art, and music. It was super and I think everyone should play it.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Yeah, a while ago there was a conversation about similarities and differences between Fata Morgana and Umineko, but I think the biggest commonality for me was the sense of "holy poo poo this story is not about what I thought it was going to be about".

Usually with a big twist in a VN you can see, if not the details, the form it's going to take. But when Fata Morgana showed what it was actually about I was totally blown away.

(Not that it wasn't compelling before that. loving Jacopo :argh: I liked the guy a lot so his self-inflicted downfall felt real bad.)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Redmark posted:

Yeah, a while ago there was a conversation about similarities and differences between Fata Morgana and Umineko, but I think the biggest commonality for me was the sense of "holy poo poo this story is not about what I thought it was going to be about".

Usually with a big twist in a VN you can see, if not the details, the form it's going to take. But when Fata Morgana showed what it was actually about I was totally blown away.

(Not that it wasn't compelling before that. loving Jacopo :argh: I liked the guy a lot so his self-inflicted downfall felt real bad.)
The first two doors are decent, but yes, holy poo poo does it pick up fast with the third. F u Maria!! After the fourth, I was expecting to get maybe a couple extra hours from the game to get a good ending. Then I gradually realized that everything I had just read was the prologue, and I still had over half the total playtime to go. Definitely a :aaa: moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What put it over the top for me was almost certainly the last several hours with Morgana's background story and ultimate salvation. Her narration and personal account, the final door, the truth about the White-Haired Girl, and of course the final sequence itself. Even as far as the halfway point of the VN, all of that content was not something I thought I wanted or needed but of course now I can't see how it could have gone any other way. Fata Morgana could have so easily painted several of its principle actors, even the villains, in simple strokes but it remained ever so committed to humanizing them and showing that anyone is capable of being redeemed, even arguably the true villain of the story.

It also felt like by the end that no stone was left unturned either. So many times it would introduce a plot thread or character that I'd think "Well there's no way they are going to elaborate or explain that" only for them to do just that. Just about the only thing that comes to mind is in the second door, the boy who gives Pauline poo poo doesn't seem to matter at all again until I guess the epilogue? I kind of got the impression that the person the "Black-Haired Girl" bumped into was him? All in all pretty minor.

I didn't get too many bad or alternate endings either, and looking up what I'd have to do to get some of them I can't say I really see the point. I'm super satisfied with the one I got.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I got the bad ending from not clicking on a choice fast enough before it disappeared, which was the only time I got mad at the game. Dick move there.
None of them are more than a short scene of "welp" so you're right, no point in seeing all of them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There's a new (?) show on Netflix called Travelers about (mild spoilers, the first episode makes it clear but my wife went in blind and enjoyed it) time travellers who send their consciousnesses back to hijack "host" bodies of dead people. I've only seen the first episode but the premise really brought to mind the last half of Steins;Gate and sure enough, at one point there's a prop on a table that's just straight-up the worldline display from S;G, vacuum tube display and all.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I decided to get the last two endings in Steins;Gate after all. First up was Paradox Meltdown. I have to say, that was not how I saw a Kurisu ending going down. Now all that is left is the True Ending. So far I've tried to keep low expectations for S;G, but I do hope his thing can deliver on a good True Ending.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Stein;Gate 0 was the first VN I've touched in ages and I gobbled it during my free time in the week and absolutely splurged it over the weekend. A little disappointing in finishing plotlines and some weird poo poo that didn't bring anything to the story, but I'm still glad I finished it. That being said the game really hit some heartstrings and quite often too, and I like that but I can't help wondering if that's not due to being overly attached to the cast well, Kurisu and Okabe and my general sentimentality. I learned to appreciate Okabe's chuunibyou bullshit more which is saying something considering how egregious I considered it watching that anime years ago. It was also interesting seeing Okabe be depressed/"normal". Liked the art and how it conveyed that. Shame they dropped the original art style for the most part. Interestingly enough in the "cold storage" part they used the original sprites

Roughly 50 hours (At least few hours of afk in total) played within a week, so with all the emotional manipulation I feel kinda broken now. Probably never going to put this kind of time in games ever again.

I really should buy the original for PC to replay it if to only see how it compares... And rewatch the anime and finish Higurashi this decade.

... Finishing Higurashi is hard.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I guess if anyone liked P-P series now coming to PC soon: http://gematsu.com/2017/01/psycho-pass-mandatory-happiness-steam-closed-beta-sign-ups-opened

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Got the True Ending and finished up Steins;Gate the other day. The TE was very good and a great way to end the VN. Overall I was very impressed, some missteps but the story was good enough to counteract those. So what is Steins;Gate 0? A direct sequel? I don't know anything about it besides looking at screenshots on its PSN page.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Steins;Gate 0 is like an...interquel or something. It takes place during the timeline that resulted in Okabe sending that video D-Mail back in time to himself in the True Ending, which was needed to give Okabe the inspiration to fake Kurisu's death. So technically you basically know how it ends though there are of course some new elements and plot threads that spice things up.

There's been a bunch of impressions, my own included, earlier about it and the general consensus seems to be that it's good/decent but a clear step down from the original. You're basically reading it just to get to see the cast interact some more.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

You're basically reading it just to get to see the cast interact some more.

That, and because you may find it cathartic to spend some time on the darkest timeline trying to prevent World War Three, while knowing that it's possible to succeed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Can I post about OELVN? Also it's a baffling how many KS are built around teams that have 0% with game dev other than a 5 min demo. I understand games need funding but maybe release a few free titles before asking for :20bux:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Alder posted:

Can I post about OELVN?

As long as it's all-ages and not blatantly garbage I don't see why not?

Alder posted:

Also it's a baffling how many KS are built around teams that have 0% with game dev other than a 5 min demo. I understand games need funding but maybe release a few free titles before asking for :20bux:

Cynically I think a lot of the VN-buying community - especially the OELVN-buying community - make their decisions purely on the basis of art and subject matter, and those are things that a team can demonstrate solely with a 5 min demo and screenshots.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alder posted:

Can I post about OELVN? Also it's a baffling how many KS are built around teams that have 0% with game dev other than a 5 min demo. I understand games need funding but maybe release a few free titles before asking for :20bux:
"Please commit untold thousands of hours of your lives just to prove you're worth it before you ask for a cent"? If people had the money to do that, they wouldn't need a Kickstarter. And they wouldn't give the result away for free, nor should they be expected to.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

As long as it's all-ages and not blatantly garbage I don't see why not?

Cynically I think a lot of the VN-buying community - especially the OELVN-buying community - make their decisions purely on the basis of art and subject matter, and those are things that a team can demonstrate solely with a 5 min demo and screenshots.

Alright, I want to be sure since amataur work is different from commercial games.

FractalSandwich posted:

"Please commit untold thousands of hours of your lives just to prove you're worth it before you ask for a cent"? If people had the money to do that, they wouldn't need a Kickstarter. And they wouldn't give the result away for free, nor should they be expected to.

I've been following OELVN community for a long time and it's normal to expect least 2-3 completed games which don't need to avg 20-30 hrs long but just enough to show you can in fact complete a story w/o taking 5-7 yrs. Sorry, if I sound pessimistic but even a 30 min game would be better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alder posted:

I've been following OELVN community for a long time and it's normal to expect least 2-3 completed games which don't need to avg 20-30 hrs long but just enough to show you can in fact complete a story w/o taking 5-7 yrs. Sorry, if I sound pessimistic but even a 30 min game would be better than nothing.
If people are moving away from that expectation, that's something to be happy about. If a community doesn't pressure people into working for free when that's not what they want, that can only be a good thing. If they're willing and able to support their medium upfront, that's even better.