Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Even the guys that just put penises everywhere? Everywhere meaning the first level and a half of SMB until they gave up realizing how difficult it is.

especially them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Motorola 68k assembly (mega drive, amiga, neo geo, macintoshes, a million other things) is pretty intuitive if you already know a bit of c, you have 8 data registers you can treat like variables, 8 address registers you can treat as pointers, they're all 32 bit and you can perform math on them all so you're not constantly shuffling stuff in and out of an accumulator register

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

I loving love everybody who hacks roms

e: why no lunar 1 tho :( or am i the only one who likes that game

Aside from translation, I don't think Lunar 1 was as hosed in as many obvious ways as Eternal Blue. Was it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I never had a big problem with the L1 translation job. But I was in, like, middleschool when it came out.

If you sliding into home and your pants are full of foam it's Diarrhea, Diarrheaaa

That Jerk Ghaleon crushed the Sun Tea I had sitting out.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Since the n64 was upstairs we played some Revenge. He actually kinda got the hang of it. We're going to check out a wwf offering next. I may have to bring up a ps1 because SmackDown was my go to. I also loved Def Jam Fight for NY, but maybe not for a 4 year old.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Even the guys that just put penises everywhere? Everywhere meaning the first level and a half of SMB until they gave up realizing how difficult it is.

Try to tell me this isn't art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQ4oMmv1e4

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sure but just think of all the possibilities.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Re: N64 and Dreamcast wrestling games:

quote:

Hello.

I have posted segments of your review of the Dreamcast game- Virtua Figher
3 onto the usenet group "rec.games.video.sega". The overwhelming consensus
is that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Just because
the DC version is not carbon copy to the arcade, that is no reason to give it
such a poor score. I would like to remind you that Tekken 3, which you got
so pumped over had far more significant flaws. In addition, VF3's graphics
ARE the best of any home fighter, and possibly any home game. You gave Zelda
a perfect 10 when it was full of glitches, and a low frame rate.

One thing that really aggravated me was your statement that the shadows are
in pieces on slopes or steps. Its called realism. As it was pointed out on
rgvs, if you took a high school physics course, you would understand why this
happens.

VF games are button mashers? Come on! That was the last straw for me. The
oh so glorious Tekken game that you revere is a prime example of a button
masher. You are probably one of the reviewers who said that "Myst" was
revolutionary...

In the future, I would ask that either you stick to Nintendo games and
overrated Playstation games, since that is all that you seem to enjoy. Please
assign a more serious gamer to Dreamcast games, especially ones that are
designed for serious gamers-such as VF3TB. Thank you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's from a Gamespot review? I know Jeff Gerstmann talks about how much Dreamcast owners hated them after the Shenmue review.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

I assume a lot of people like Lunar 1, because they're always porting/revamping it instead of the generally better Lunar 2.

That said, I'm fine with no more Lunar ports; the games were good for their time and there's not much to improve without drastically altering them. PSN reissues would be sufficient.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

VF3 for DC was actually pretty dope for the time and I kind of get that guy's rage if somebody had a review making GBS threads on it, particularly if it was compared with Tekken since they play so differently, though actually taking the time to write a rant to an internet video game man is nutty

e:

Kid Fenris posted:

That said, I'm fine with no more Lunar ports; the games were good for their time and there's not much to improve without drastically altering them. PSN reissues would be sufficient.

Yeah I totally forgot that it was ported to the PSP (and other things I think?), I'm also fine with no more ports, would just like a de-working designed version for the original SCD game

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lunar SSS and EB are my favorite RPGs of all time! I have PS1 copies sitting right behind my computer monitor right now, even. I should play these Sega CD romhack versions.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

God is real, praise be.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why were there a zillion versions of Lunar 1/2 but never a Lunar 3?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why were there a zillion versions of Lunar 1/2 but never a Lunar 3?

:shepicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pairofdimes posted:

If you already have some programming experience there's no reason you can't learn assembly, however if you're mostly familiar with higher level languages you'll probably find a lot of parts pretty tedious. This is a pretty good introduction to MOS 6502 assembly (the NES uses a 6502 clone): https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/

It has a built in assembler, debugger, and output window, so you can easily test stuff and play around.

6502 register info: http://www.obelisk.me.uk/6502/registers.html
6502 instruction set: http://e-tradition.net/bytes/6502/6502_instruction_set.html

To go from there to making an NES game you'd need to learn about the NES's architecture, like how to talk to the PPU to draw stuff on screen and what interrupts exist. But just learning 6502 assembly would be a good place to start.

There's a pretty good series on NES development here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155

Worth a read IMHO

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

Likely because there's two three? other ports that have balance changes and are more modern. I guess EB had a port on PSX but it was pretty terrible too. Pretty excited though and going to have to break out the Genesis to play these!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turbinosamente posted:

Sure but just think of all the possibilities.

http://www.i-mockery.com/search-results.php?cx=014535092109957586225%3Ax3k4bfcumts&cof=FORID%3A9&q=wilford+brimley&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search

The video game chat thread was only so helpful, so maybe you guys can give me a hand. I'm looking for some good rear end ROM hacks. I don't want anything too hard, I just want a new experience with vanilla difficulties. Any popular game would do really but I would prefer hacks of the SNES, GBA or NES top hits (just not Super Metroid, I have days of hack backlogs for that one).

I gave Parallel Worlds (Zelda: A Link to the Past) a try and it was stupid and awful so clearly reviews on romhacking.net isn't going to be very helpful for me in finding the good ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've heard Brave New World FFVI is pretty solid, and I've always wanted to try that one Castlevania 2 hack (Redacted?) that cleans up the translation, makes it so that the towns people say actual hints rather than BS, and make the text crawl and day/night transitions almost instant.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Martytoof posted:

There's a pretty good series on NES development here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155

Worth a read IMHO

Wow, that's really thorough. I'll definitely start it this weekend.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Just did a quick picture quality comparison between different RGB mods available on the N64. The THS7314 and N64RGB were run through a Framemeister with FBX's N64 profile. The Deblur on the N64RGB makes it a lot sharper, although the colors still aren't as accurate as the UltraHDMI:

THS7314 RGB amp:

N64RGB with Deblur off:

N64RGB with Deblur on:

UltraHDMI with Deblur on and Gamma Boost:

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 19, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Need to mail my N64 today out so I can get that nice deblur rgb mod installed. :toot:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Gotta be careful with the N64 deblur mods, because a lot of the blur exists to hide the low resolution and low color depth that every 3D game had on the system.

It does absolutely help the 2D games though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

VF3 for DC was actually pretty dope for the time and I kind of get that guy's rage if somebody had a review making GBS threads on it, particularly if it was compared with Tekken since they play so differently, though actually taking the time to write a rant to an internet video game man is nutty

Just saw this on my YT subscription page, I don't really like playing fighting games but tourneys are fun to watch. They'll probably stream it somewhere and put it on YT afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ettmr9Ezo

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does the PS1 version of Lunar EB have the bullshit difficulty or did they tone it down for that one? I guess that questions stands for SSSC too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Stone Age Gamer just opened up orders for HDMI-modded Gamecubes for $250. I didn't know that was a thing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Lunar 1 wasn't really hosed with too too much, Lunar 2 has always been terrible in English.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And just snagged ALttP and SNES Harvest Moon.

What am I doing?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collected Works is getting a reprint: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works-reprint?ref=project_link

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

Stone Age Gamer just opened up orders for HDMI-modded Gamecubes for $250. I didn't know that was a thing.

Looks interesting, but $250 is kinda steep considering its just the console.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Agree, you could pay that much for the component cable and be able to use it on multiple systems.

Does the hdmi mod output 1080p or 480p?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I thought the HDMI mod thing was going to be a breakaway bit that plugs into the existing digital port, though a system mod would make sense since half of Gamecubes don't have the port.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

Agree, you could pay that much for the component cable and be able to use it on multiple systems.

I hate to get all spergy and "No U" but, umm...no?

From my understanding, the GC component cable works by converting the digital signal from its special video port to analog YPbPr video that can be used on a regular TV. The digital-to-analog conversion is why the cable has that proprietary chip in it that no one has really been able to duplicate. Which, in combination with low production numbers to begin with, is why the cable is so expensive.

The SNES outputs analog composite, S-Video, and RGB; for the first two formats there's no point to the GC component cable, and for the last one I'm pretty sure the cable doesn't do anything to adapt it. The N64 is the same way, with the added caveat that it doesn't output RGB without a mod.

Add to this the fact that the digital video port and connector for the Gamecube do not even appear to be the same as the standard multi-AV port used on the SNES, N64, and GC (for stuff like composite and S-Video), and welp...you'll need to provide some evidence that the GC component cable is usable on multiple systems?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I would rather have the cable regardless as HDMI limits you to wack displays (anything that isnt a CRT)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Add to this the fact that the digital video port and connector for the Gamecube do not even appear to be the same as the standard multi-AV port used on the SNES, N64, and GC (for stuff like composite and S-Video), and welp...you'll need to provide some evidence that the GC component cable is usable on multiple systems?
Doesn't it have the same ports as the Wii? :v:

(yes, I know)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The digital av out is literally the digital pins from the gpu exposed and the component cable is an alternate DAC to encode the signal into component. If I hazard a guess likely they went internal to support both types of cubes and to get cleaner audio but I haven't looked into them much.

You can read a pretty in depth look of the digital port here though http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/component-cable-on-dol-101-gamecube.13251/

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I'm glad someone finally made an HDMI mod for the GBA

For actual gamecube games though, you can get a Wii-U for much less.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I hate to get all spergy and "No U" but, umm...no?

From my understanding, the GC component cable works by converting the digital signal from its special video port to analog YPbPr video that can be used on a regular TV. The digital-to-analog conversion is why the cable has that proprietary chip in it that no one has really been able to duplicate. Which, in combination with low production numbers to begin with, is why the cable is so expensive.

The SNES outputs analog composite, S-Video, and RGB; for the first two formats there's no point to the GC component cable, and for the last one I'm pretty sure the cable doesn't do anything to adapt it. The N64 is the same way, with the added caveat that it doesn't output RGB without a mod.

I think he meant multiple GameCubes. I don't think he was suggesting other generations of systems. Mod one GameCube, feed a goon. Buy one component cable, feed a games thread.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And just snagged ALttP and SNES Harvest Moon.

What am I doing?

Spending a lot of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kramdar posted:

I think he meant multiple GameCubes. I don't think he was suggesting other generations of systems. Mod one GameCube, feed a goon. Buy one component cable, feed a games thread.

I guess that would make more sense.

Though I suppose there could be merit to an HDMI-modded system, if only because HDMI is likely not going anywhere for a while, whereas component video is probably going to be defunct soon enough (so far as older retro gaming uses go).

• Locked thread