Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Atomizer posted:

Here's your Abbey fix: remove the East road.

Who cares about east road? Only idiot scrubs go there and they aren't going to affect the outcome of a game anyway. We should be praising Wargaming for implementing idiot chutes to remove them from the battle.

Atomizer posted:

Also, let's fix Lakeville while we're at it: remove the valley. :colbert:

same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also remove track upgrades

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

*creepy twin peaks inflection*

it is happening   again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3aWNyn8S0

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

define sandbox

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

second definition i'm p. sure

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm certain there's actually some sort of translation error and it actually means "litterbox"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sandbox application post, NA:
http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/17/sandbox-2/

test notes!:
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/01/19/sandbox-2-patchnotes/#more-40711

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in before people get super mad about the words "Revised shot distribution" as if the pre-8,6 era wasn't the best

e: lol

Steelion posted:

I wish they'd go back and re-evaluate the damage the late-game 105 and 120mm guns do. Considering the gulf between the 100s on the soviet mediums and the 105s the other nations get, I would expect there to be more of a difference between the 105s and the 120s. That first 5mm is worth 70 more damage per shot, but the next 15mm is only worth 10.

I'd just be happy with them not arbitrarily increasing the damage per shot for a given caliber as you go up tiers. "Oh but the more advanced shells-" gently caress that, they've thrown realism out the window on everything else, might as well be consistently unrealistic.

Sandbox posted:

4. Balanced the underpowered 120 mm guns by increasing their alpha damage

Prav fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 19, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So the 121 falls where with the 120mm gun change? Same alpha damage but faster RoF?

Also huge buff the AMX 50B and T57. Maybe get a couple extra seconds on their reload time but more alpha poor shot is worth it.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 19, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

turns out that the proposed AMX 13 90 was completely unplayable! whoda thought it?! so it gets its DPM buffed to 1942 and also all the T9 lights get more silver (but not gold) pen. the WZ-132A even loses a bit gold pen

still no 152 mm gun on the T49, and the 13 90 mag is still just 4 shots but at least it reloads quickly now and supposedly has better gun handling but for some reason no one ever includes those loving numbers

https://ritastatusreport.live/2017/01/19/supertest-tier-9-lt-stat-changes/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why can't every arty be like the SU-8? What a drema to use. First high caliber award ever and with the default gun.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Huh. Well, uh. OK, I didn't actually expect them to actually re-balance damage. It looks like they basically went with a "+10% damage, +10% reload" plan, so maybe they'll tweak the reloads if it turns out that a whopping 40 extra damage per shot completely imbalances these tanks. Does kind of leave the 121 out, but the guns are probably similar enough to not be worth worrying about.

I'm also happy to see that they're hoping to re-balance the high-caliber guns too. They're right about it being like artillery, either you hit and do massive damage, or you miss completely, and either way you're stuck for half a minute reloading before you can try again.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the 183s are down to 1050, 17 cm 950

i'd say the JPE100 got hosed, but it's also tanky as hell now with the acc and falloff changes. just don't whiff your shot...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

quote:

Currently, vehicles with very high alpha damage (the JagdPz. E 100, FV 4005, or FV 215b (183)) foster artillery-like gameplay. We’ll try to fix it by reducing excessively high alpha damage of very high-caliber (170+mm) guns, while also improving their reloading time to keep the DPM unchanged

The gently caress does "artillery-like" gameplay with regard to those TDs even mean?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The gently caress does "artillery-like" gameplay with regard to those TDs even mean?

one hit and you're out

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hide and shotgun? I don't know. All I know is that this has made tanks with reasonable but not great penetration and poor armour (TD's like the JPanther immediately spring to mind) even worse, and tanks with incredible frontal armour and few weakspots like the French patriot fucker even better.

The changes appear to be *spam the 2 key gold n00bs pay 2 win*

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Steelion posted:

They're right about it being like artillery, either you hit and do massive damage, or you miss completely, and either way you're stuck for half a minute reloading before you can try again.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

None of these changes are going to matter if premium ammo is still a thing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sandbox trip report: all the changes are very undramatic. they could push this live tomorrow and most players wouldn't even notice

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

I think the best nerf to gold ammo would probably be to make make you able to take a low maximum percentage of your total ammo as gold ammo, like 15% or a clip, and then possibly increase costs of ammo in general to incentivize purchases of premium time.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

and then possibly increase costs of ammo in general

they can't do this, millions of <48% f2p players would riot. possibly literally

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
just git rid of the gold ammo for silver thing, at least make people pay gold for it. I don't give a poo poo about firing premium ammo currently because credits are easy, I'd think about it more if it was burning gold.

Granted, that would just increase the rift between the clan players getting their weekly clanwar gold and the shitter hordes.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Let everyone carry a maximum of 1 minute's worth of gold ammo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
At this point, just removing gold rounds entirely is the best option. Replace them with alternate shells to the primary that make some sort of trade off. APCR gets higher pen and velocity, but slightly lower accuracy and less damage. HEAT gets similar pen, gains some damage, but is affected more by armor slope and spaced armor. Also, crew is reduced to a single member with a WoWS style tree for abilities. Repair items can be used multiple times during a match, with a cooldown.

Basically copy the poo poo WoWS is doing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Remove gold and balance silver ammo? How the gently caress do you think wg would do that??.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Make all gold ammo HE

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
HM the udes 03 seems very worthless with the stock gun. im very unsure if can make it work with the bigger gun tbh. siege mode is crippling

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Remove gold and balance silver ammo? How the gently caress do you think wg would do that??.

First time for everything I guess.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Make all gold ammo HE

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:tinfoil:

It seems the day I bought the IS-6 Wargaming immediately did everything in their power to make it a less satisfactory tank. Two new frontally impenetrable tier VIII premiums? Why of course! Make a very lovely gun actually perform worse? Yes Sir! May I have another!? My only consolation is it can never be worse than either of the Tier IV Swedish crapwagons as experienced on NA West. The Lago is beyond bad and the Sav m/43 may as well drive straight into the nearest body of water for all the good it is going to do. I guess I should just sell the loving horrors as I don't even have a full girl crew for them now.

Why do I play this game?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sandbox dispersion is horseshit. Also I got banned from the sandbox.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
W

McGavin posted:

Why would they make the dispersion worse on tanks? What they need to do is make a scaling factor depending on tank and speed / recent movement / turret rotation.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I've got a solid idea for the design a tank concept, but my art skills are crap and I really don't care if I win a prize so long as the idea wins a prize. Should I post what I have and let anyone have at it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomPauI posted:

I think I've got a solid idea for the design a tank concept, but my art skills are crap and I really don't care if I win a prize so long as the idea wins a prize. Should I post what I have and let anyone have at it?

?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HFX posted:

What they need to do is make a scaling factor depending on tank and speed / recent movement / turret rotation.

100 times this. As for why I was banned, it turns out that the damage from driving your tank onto a teammate counts as team damage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

HM the udes 03 seems very worthless with the stock gun. im very unsure if can make it work with the bigger gun tbh. siege mode is crippling

If the UDES isn't getting shot and doesn't need to reposition for shots very often it seems really good!

McGavin posted:

Is it worse than the first Sandbox dispersion? Because that was pretty garbage. Honestly the best part about AW is just being able to hit the enemy tanks if you spend the three seconds to aim in or whatever. The most frustrating part of World of Tanks is the horrendous playerbase, but aiming in four shots on a broadside enemy at 200 meters and missing all of them is pretty close.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The graphics they provided make it look like either a uniform distribution or at least a much shallower Gaussian than what they have now, the shells will still all land inside the circle, just more evenly distributed as opposed to strongly biased towards the center. It's probably the best way to handle a random dispersion mechanic, short of making a dynamically changing distribution based on how long you aim. (starting at straight-up uniform and shifting to sharp Gaussian over time).

I think in general it will make guns slightly less accurate in practice, since more shells will land near the edge of the reticle (but evidently not outside it), but it will mean that snapshots are less effective, since it's less likely for the shell to land near the center. It'll also make guns more reliably accurate, since you won't have 1/10 shells fly to the edge of the reticle after the first 9 went straight (at least as often).

So bad for snapshot meta, but that's probably a good thing tbh.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Steelion posted:

The graphics they provided make it look like either a uniform distribution or at least a much shallower Gaussian than what they have now, the shells will still all land inside the circle, just more evenly distributed as opposed to strongly biased towards the center. It's probably the best way to handle a random dispersion mechanic, short of making a dynamically changing distribution based on how long you aim. (starting at straight-up uniform and shifting to sharp Gaussian over time).

I think in general it will make guns slightly less accurate in practice, since more shells will land near the edge of the reticle (but evidently not outside it), but it will mean that snapshots are less effective, since it's less likely for the shell to land near the center. It'll also make guns more reliably accurate, since you won't have 1/10 shells fly to the edge of the reticle after the first 9 went straight (at least as often).

So bad for snapshot meta, but that's probably a good thing tbh.

Uniform is horrible and at that point you basically are just playing arty. A decreasing sigma Gaussian would be the best system. Hell, it is what the reticle should be doing. Making it almost uniform at full speed, rotating track, turret, and firing; decreasing to a small area at the end.

HFX fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 20, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

HFX posted:

Uniform is horrible and at that point you basically are just playing arty. A decreasing sigma guassian would be the best system.

Wargaming is literally incapable of programming that, though. Uniform distribution is fine, if the aiming circles are not larger than a loving tank at 100 meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BadLlama posted:

This has always been true. Premium ammo was always a stupid, stupid idea. The current gold rounds should only be used to balance guns at higher tiers to make them more effective.

For instance, using the 76mm on the T20 or T29 you should get APCR as your silver round.